Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

Price: $

Price: $

Apple Cider Vinegar

on 9/20/2013 1:38:00 PM

This review is about the Trader Joe's version of Apple Cider Vinegar, also with "mother" (the cloudy kind). Yes it tastes gross, but you get used to it --- especially when the results are fantastic.

At first I tried applying ACV externally, as a toner, but it reddened my face and did little else but stink and sting. In hindsight, it was probably overkill. In attempt to keep my skin blemish and wrinkle free, I already use a lot of products on my face, including creams containing DMAE, pycnogenol, alpha lipoic acid, peptides and retinol. For blemish control, I apply salicylic acid face wash (PM) and a benzoyl peroxide face wash (AM) --- plus the occasional AHA.

I was about to give up on ACV when I decided to try it internally. I have a history of GI problems, but two tablespoons in a glass of water seems to do the trick, with no GERD issues (come to think of it, it might even be helping with that, too). I've been drinking this --- diluted! --- for about three months now, and I'm THRILLED to report that it has cut hormonal acne down by ~90 percent. I had begun to get the type of breakouts that appear along the bottom of the jaw and even on the front of the neck (gross!), but now there are no more breakouts on my neck/jaw whatsoever. I get one or two small spots per month elsewhere on my face, not cysts that take weeks to heal. I attribute this improvement to the ACV because I had already been using all the topical approaches mentioned above for the entire year, yet still suffered hormonal breakouts.

I can't say what ACV will do for run-of-the-mill acne but for hormonal breakouts, ACV was the missing piece in my anti-blemish puzzle. I no longer feel like I need to visit a dermatologist for expensive prescriptions that have more side effects than I can tolerate. (The last RX I had flaked my skin really bad and I never got past that purging/flaking stage.)

The only gotchas I worry about with ACV is the effect it may have on tooth enamel. I compensate for that by brushing my teeth immediately afterward. I also try to make a point of not chasing the ACV with dairy products, in effort to make sure I don't nullify the benefits. And to make sure my esophagus and stomach aren't overly irritated --- not that I've noticed any irritation --- I drink it every other day, about an hour before bedtime.

on 9/16/2013 8:52:00 PM

Certified Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized

I think everyone should have a bottle of Bragg's ACV. Its awesome for the whole famliy, I buy mine at the supermarket. If you're going to take it internally it is recommended to dilute it with water as the acidity of ACV can damage tooth enamel. I usually shot mine and throw it towards the back of my throat, gulp with mouth open and swoosh and chase it with water to avoid it from touching my teeth and to get it over and done with. I don't enjoy the taste of it. This way works best for me.

Rich in potassium, a mineral that is often times lacking in adult diets. This mineral is key for growth, building muscles, transmission of nerve impulses, heart activity etc. It also helps to prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses.
Rich in acetic acid. This acid is said to slow the digestion of starch which can help to lower the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals. kills yeast/candida
Rich in ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. This aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state. (It is particularly important if you drink a lot of coffee or wine.)
It can help regulate blood pressure and reduce bad cholesterol.
Rich in malic acid which gives ACV its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. For colds or clean wounds or make your own non-toxic cleaning spray that is better for family especially babies. Removes sludge from windows and leaves it sparkling
May help improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate.
It can help clear up skin conditions and blemishes.
ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them.
A few lab studies have found that ACV may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
Hair care: it's acidity is closest to that of natural hair, so balances hair and scalp pH, and removes product build up, treats dandruff just to name a few. Make your own ACV hair rinse.

The list goes on....

I read somewhere that it can remove warts too
Make sure you buy ACV with the mother. The mother is strand-like enzymes of connected protein molecules that you can see in the bottle. This is the powerful healing stuff. No more cluttered cupboards of products just one bottle of Braggs for everything, I'd choose this natural stuff over all the man made chemical filled crap any day and save money too.

on 8/28/2013 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

For the past few weeks, I've been using a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water after cleansing my skin. I haven't measured things very carefully, but I would say that the mix I use is about 70% bottled water, and 30% apple cider vinegar. The good thing is that you can try out different amounts of water / vinegar; what works will vary from person to person. I like to keep this mix in an old glass bottle and I store it in the fridge.

After cleansing my skin at night, I apply some of this mix to a cotton ball and then I smooth it onto the areas where I'm most prone to developing acne. For me, this would be my cheeks. I allow it to stay on my skin for about a minute, and then I rinse it off with lukewarm water, pat dry and moisturize. If I don't rinse it off first, I find it slightly uncomfortable (a bit sticky), so I prefer to rinse.

For some reason, following this routine seems to be helping my skin and keeping it reasonably calm. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think it restores some balance where it's needed. I haven't really experienced any major breakouts on the area lately (and I can break out quite easily). I've been using this once every night, but I think skipping a day/night or more would be okay as well. Overall, I think it is worth giving a try.

on 8/27/2013 1:42:00 PM

First of all, if you're looking for something to fade acne scars, DON'T use lemon juice, use ACV! Lemon juice makes your skin extremely sensitive to sun, which could actually end up darkening the scars. Not to mention ACV has a pH closer to that of your skin, so it balances your pH causing less bacteria to grow. ACV is truly amazing, it evens your skin tone and makes your hair shine, and I put about a tbsp in a glass of water and chug it down before a run; it gives me energy like nothing else. It's also supposed to help with weight loss, but I think it's great just for overall health.

on 8/27/2013 1:40:00 PM

When I first started using this as a toner, I LOVED it (not the smell, but the effects haha!). It did wonders calming redness in my skin & with my breakouts. However I now don't think it works as well as it did initially. I don't seem to notice it making much of a difference to my skin. I do still use it however as it doesn't do any harm. I'm just not as in love with it as I was! But if you are debating trying it as a toner and you have redness or acne, then I think you should, it will help! And the smell will become more tolerable after a while! I started using half cider half water to begin with and applied to my skin with a cotton pad, now I just use the straight apple cider vinegar because my skin is used to it now. I do suggest starting by adding water and see how your skin does.

on 8/22/2013 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

As for toner, this is very strong for my nose and I have stomach ulcer so I can't drink either. Though I held my breath while applying this on my face with a cotton ball, I can't bear the small of ACV when I sweat. So far, I can only use as facial mask with Bentonite Clay.

For my main purpose of rinsing hair with ACV, I have both Bragg and Walmart's own brand "Great Value" ACV and I don't see much difference. I often spend time in the pool and can't spend $ for swim shampoo. I saw in some swim forums that rinse off with ACV after shampoo and conditioner or mix baking soda in the shampoo. So I chose ACV rinse method. I have healthy hair except that quite dry and rough after spending ~4-5x a week in the pool. Of course, I lost weight :) Anyway, I bought a gallon ACV bottle from Walmart with <$5 and 1:4 mix with water in an empty shampoo bottle. That gallon bottle lasts the whole summer... I still have some in the bottle. In my experience, Bragg smells very stronger than Great Value. My hair doesn't smell like ACV with GV but I feel the clean feeling. Since I am rinsing off after not longer than 3 min, I don't see the point of using organic or natural but maybe when I have more $... I save Bragg for facial mask with Indian/Bentonite Clay.

on 8/11/2013 5:14:00 PM

One tablespoon of this before a run, and boom, I'm the Flash. But seriously, two teaspoons a day has helped me drop excess bloat. It also helps with heartburn. I wish I would've known about this years ago.

on 8/1/2013 7:25:00 PM

Okay, so I am a 23 year old finding something to help with my acne. Since I moved to PA, my skin has been weird. I have more acne now and I have small little bumps (closed comedones) . I have never used a toner before & thought that this might help me with those issues. I knew it wouldn't be a cure, but at least it will help. I was so excited to try it although I have heard that it stinks! I have officially used it for a whole month, morning & night after washing my face. It has done nothing for me. But it did help for the first two weeks. My skin was clearing up, but then on the third week, everything came back. :( I was devastated and so sad. But I know you have to stay patient in order to see results... but I have given up. I need to try something different now. I have very sensitive, acne-prone skin but it didn't burn/sting my face. Give it a try! It might work for you. :) And like I said, this is something to help with acne, not something that will cure it! Good luck!

on 7/18/2013 2:10:00 PM

Apple cider vinegar saved my skin! I have had acne for several years, ranging from mild to severe, and it feels like I've tried everything to keep it under control from OTC face washes to medication prescribed by a dermatologist. I started using the Acne.org regimen about a year ago and after a few months of using it religiously, my face was probably 90% clear. While this was great, the regimen was also extremely time consuming and drying. Then a few months ago it just stopped working, and I broke out really bad. I decided to quit using so many chemicals on my skin and I started using only water to wash my face. This lasted two weeks and my acne was the worst it had been in ages, but I knew that this was my skin healing itself from years of chemicals. Then I started to wash my face with a gentle cleanser in the morning and used a DIY toner afterwards that was half apple cider vinegar and half water. I apply this using a cotton ball or toilet paper. If I have a big pimple, I'll apply straight ACV with a cotton swab. In just a week, my acne has cleared up 70%. My forehead still has a lot of small bumps, and there's a few on my cheeks, but I have barely any redness and I've found that my face is a lot less oily since starting this regimen. This is such a simple and natural way to achieve better skin, and I would recommend it to literally anyone with problem skin. I'm confident that my acne will only get better from here (excluding any sort of purging that I might experience in the near future) and I'll update in a few weeks with any improvements/changes that arise.

on 7/17/2013 10:12:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

So, I don't use this for my face because I'm happy with lemon juice (see my review) but this is an excellent hair remedy. Whenever my hair feels dry or "off" I like to use this as final rinse after using conditioner. Makes hair soft and shiny! I've also heard that it helps keep colour from fading; I just dyed my hair red with manic panic so we'll see if it helps "seal" the red in!

Video Reviews & Tutorials