August 1, 2014 | 2022 users online

Bronzers - The Body Shop - Shimmer Waves in Bronze

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2004 2:44:00 PM More reviews by theluscioushellcat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Scroll down and read what "JennyB" has to say about this. She's got it 100% reight. As a auburn/red very fair and freckled girl, I've been wanting one product that I could use singly as eyeshadows, and together as a blushy/bronzy/highlighter. I found it. Of course, I was first tempted by the much more expensive Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick. But my budget said "Hell no!" I believe I've done just as well for myself with this. Used with a kabuki brush for a swipe over all the colors, I get a very pretty blush/bronzer with a pretty glow. Used with an eyeshadow brush on individual swipes, I have glowy eyeshadows. I recommend giving this a look - it's quite nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2004 8:27:00 PM More reviews by blondeambitioned

All I can say it was love at first swipe. I was in the Body Shop, poking around at their Yoga collection, when all of a sudden the sales rep started dusting this bronzer into my cheeks. The perfect bronze color... the shimmer... I was sold. It worked out perfectly for when I went on vacation and my face didn't tan, I just blended in this bronzey color all over my skin and Voila! Nobody knew the difference. In fact, when I stopped using it people asked me if I was sick, because I got so pale ;) That's my little secret I guess!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2004 12:03:00 PM More reviews by cstg

I hesitated on whether to give this limited edition, seasonal product a 3 or 4 lippie, but I decided on 3 because it doesn't do what I hoped it would do - which is to "shimmer" and for the product to "stay on" my face. It appears to be very well-packed in the compact, which doesn't help when you're trying to get it from makeup brush to the eyelid or face. The best way it goes on is when you streak a finger across a brick and it sticks on your fingertip. Anyhow, I tried using it as eyeshadow and it had OK effect, but I wasn't really excited about the outcome since it didn't seem to do anything special for me. In the end, I have to use Bobbi Brown Shimmerbrick anyhow to get the shimmer effect, so what's the use in buying this item in the first place? It was however reasonably prices and I know I'll find some sort of use for it - even though I wasn't so satisfied with the results. I am, afterall, "In Love" with "shimmerbricks" of any sort, but especially those by Bobbi Brown.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2004 2:50:00 AM More reviews by frootloop75

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a 2 thumbs up item for me. I am so surprised I love this as much as I do. I'm not a but TBS makeup fan, I've found most of their stuff difficult to work with in the past and the colors were pretty ho hum as well - my love affair with all things MAC hasn't helped either... but I digress. Shimmerwaves ROCK!! The compact is easy to use, it's shimmery rather than frosty and I am pleasantly surprised at how pigmented this is.

I'm a GGG, NC 35, chinese coloring. Today, I tested out the bronze shimmerwave on my cheeks and eyelids.

It is true that you need to use a firm hand and a stiff brush to get what you need from the compact for use on your eyelids - but this wasn't a major problem to me. The highlighter shades applied evenly and with a nice shimmer (I wore MAC paint in care canvas as a base). Surprisingly, the deeper shades really are decently pigmented and stand up to be used as eyeshadows in their own right!! I have got a full day's wear out of mine and no fading yet.

As a blush the bronze shimmerwave does not dissapoint - I got a healthy glowing bronze when I used a blush brush. It was again, natural looking (putting my bronzer to shame I am afraid).

I got a tip from the TBS SA who sold me my shimmerwave, they apparently scrape the powder from the compact and then apply this as es, mixed with lipgloss etc etc. It is meant for hygeine purposes but I suspect also to improve the pigmentation.

I cannot fault the clear perspex compact - it looks classic and I find that I keep these cleaner than black compacts which tend to show up every speck of powder!!

All in all, I am very happy with this product. It's wearable even in winter and was of surprisingly good quality. I don't own a shimmerbrick and for my purposes, I probably won't need one. I can't compare TBS and BB for that reason. Oh and.. I just bought the rose shimmerwave today.. and will be trying that out tomorrow.

So - if you aren't particularly amazed at the shimmerbrick (I couldn't justify the dollars and that is saying something) - give the shimmerwaves a try. They are LE apparently but if they continue to sell as well as they have in Australia, they should make it a permanent line and perhaps even do a beige one....

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2004 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Ansje

Well, the compact was REALLY hard to open. But the product is lovely - quite well-pressed, so any product you put on is very subtle and buildable.

The bronze is perfect for me - NC20 PPP, the best bronzer for my skin to date that I've found.

The price is a little expensive (it IS TBS after all) but I think this will last a long time (I hope it does anyway - it's LE!)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2004 8:20:00 AM More reviews by Emma13

I'm not a great fan of The Body Shop generally - it reminds me a lot of my teenage years! - but as I wondered in the other day, not really knowing what I was looking for, and suddenly spotted this most blatant knock-off of Bobbi Brown's Shimmerbrick, I was intrigued... I love BB but did not buy the original shimmerbrick because I thought it was way too much money for something rather gimmicky that looked pretty in the box but that I would probably end up not using - so I can't really compare it to the original - but other than that, I found this to be a brilliant product. I don't use it as a bronzer because I do find it slightly too shimmery for that purpose, but I use it either instead of blusher or on top, brushed lightly over the cheekbones and wherever else I want a subtle glow. This does the trick. The colour (i.e. all of the different colours blended together) is pleasingly neutral, no orange or muddy tones - just what I wanted as I have had to resign myself to the fact that pinky highlighters just look awful on me and many bronzing powders are too orange... The colours on their own are pretty but haven't tried them as eyeshadows yet. The product does give a very subtle effect because of the hard texture so might not be enough for some people but for me it's perfect as I hate obvious shimmer. Really lovely. I just wish they had left the clear perspect packaging alone instead of plastering the TBS logo all over it... tacky! ***EDIT: After a while of languishin at the back of the cabinet, I rediscovered this recently and I'm now using it practically daily (it's summer and I've got some colour on my face). I brush it on as blush/bronzer - a touch of subtle, slightly shimmery colour - and on eyes (small brush or my fingers to pick out individual shades). For eyes it's too shiny really but with a tan I can get a way with it... :-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2004 1:09:00 PM More reviews by jennyb

Shimmer Waves in Bronze is Body Shop's shameless 'tribute' to the Bobbi Brown Bronze Shimmerbrick. It's a combination bronzer/highlighter in a large (8.5g) square block of pressed shimmery powders, divided into 5 bronzey-shaded wavy stripes - yellow-ivory, chocolate, copper, tan and peach. As with the Shimmerbrick, you can either swirl a large brush around and pick up a mix of colors, or use a smaller brush to apply a single one. The colors are much stronger and more defined than in the Shimmerbrick, but the very hard texture of the product and the low pigmentation mean that, despite the brightly-colored appearance in the compact, the color you pick up is very subtle. It is a bit more pigmented than the Blush Shimmer Waves, quite enough to use as a light bronzer on fair skin like mine. The shimmer content gives it a very natural, sun-kissed, glowy appearance too. It's somewhat less shimmery than the Shimmerbrick, which is a plus point in my book.

I tried using each of the shades as eyeshadow too. You need to use a stiff brush to pick up enough product to make this work, but it gives a very pretty shimmery effect. There is (just) sufficient pigment in the darker shades to show up on my fair skin, but they may disappear on darker complexions.

At half the price of the Bobbi Brown bronze Shimmerbrick, this is a bargain buy. The only slight minus point is the unglamorously plain perspex packaging, though this is so functional I am prepared to overlook its cheap appearance. Some people may also not be keen on the very hard texture, but I find it prevents me being accidentally heavy-handed, so I like it.

This is a great bronzer for fair skin, and also would work well as a multipurpose travel product, as you've really got enough colors here to act as eyeshadow, blush and highlighter as well as bronzer. If you're looking for something that's more of a highlighter, with less color, the Blush Shimmer Waves would be a better choice.

continued >>