October 24, 2014 | 1858 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Ultimate Sun Protection Lotion SPF 55 PA+++ [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2008 4:45:00 PM More reviews by ballmam2000

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Been using this for quite a while and LOVE IT!! I'm quite oily and this mattes my face so well. The low ppd concerns me a bit but having experimented the last few weeks with other higher ppds that left me shiny and sticky, i have concluded that this is the best for me. Have been using this for 6 months + with no break outs and no tan, my freckles fewer, and no shiny mess. It is a bit drying so I wear a moisturizer underneath, my makeup goes on like a dream over top. I will never stray again

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 4:59:00 AM More reviews by peasloveandhominy

I usually hate reviewing skincare because my skin is so fickle that at any moment it could change, but I've used this sunscreen since last May (not everyday as most days I'm indoors until sunset and not too close to windows) so I think I can finally review this. *knock on wood*

My skin is the most acne prone skin ever. I've been dealing with severe acne since I was 9 and at 21, though better, I still deal with it. No medication or products seem to work. I look at my skin and it breaks out. I have not had any acne issues or pore clogging issues with this sunscreen! I have super oily skin so it's not drying for me. My mom uses it in the summer (and has VERY dry skin). She hasn't had any drying issues either! It would be too harsh for her to use during our bitter winters, though. It's very white at first, but once it sinks in, I can't tell it's even on. It's very lightweight and feels like nothing! It feels greasy when first applied, but that goes away within minutes. It IS fragranced. The classic Shiseido skincare fragrance. I dislike it, but have not had irritation from it and the fragrance seems to fade fast. Mineral makeup looks great over this sunscreen. I have not tested liquid foundation yet.

BUT... big but ; YOU MUST use a cleansing oil to remove it. Sorry. It's true. If you skip this step, say hello to acne and clogged pores. Is it a pain in the butt? Yes. Is it another expense? Yes. Is it worth it to be able to use this sunscreen? YES. I like Clinique's Take The Day Off Cleansing Balm or MAC's cleansing oil to remove it. I use about a pea size of the balm or 2 pumps of the MAC oil, rub it in my hands, massage it over my face and neck and then let it just sit for about a minute. Then I rinse it off with water and a cotton cleansing pad and wash with my regular cleanser. Sometimes I need to wash twice to remove all of the cleansing balm or oil.

Even though it adds an extra step to my routine, I still say it's worth it. The protection this sunscreen offers is amazing. A few things that may help some of you decide to buy or not to buy this sunscreen.

1) Even excluding the SPF and PPD, the reason this sunscreen is so protective is because it IS so durable. Unless you are dripping buckets of sweat and/or spending time in the water, there really is no need to reapply because it truly stays on all day. It doesn't budge, allowing it to retain it's protective quality.

2) My mom works outside 2 hours a day (about 8-9 am and 1-2 pm in the summer). She's tried a bunch of Euro high PPD (and high SPF waterproof) sunscreens. She used the proper amount and reapplied. Even standing in shade, she got color with all of them and more sunspots. Some people do best with PHYSICAL FILTERS. Shiseido is a physical/chemical combo, but the % of zinc oxide makes it an excellent option for a physical filter sunscreen. It's not 100% physical, but offers the great benefit that physical filters have (literally blocking the UV rays, rather than absorbing the rays like chemical filters). That is why it leaves a white cast. I'm pale so I don't notice and my mom is medium skintone and hardly notices it.

3) PA +++ means the PPD is AT LEAST 8. It could be 9, 10 or higher, but it guarantees a PPD of 8. A PPD of 8 blocks out 87.5% of UVA rays. That seems pretty good to me and not low at all.

4) The price : It's high. It really is. $37 a bottle for 100 ml. 100 ml, if used for the face and neck, will last you 40 applications, assuming you use the 1/4 tsp amount (1/4 for face and another 1/4 for your neck). If you apply it once a day, that's slightly over 9 bottles a year, assuming you wear it every single day. That comes to just a bit over $330, plus tax. That's under $1 a day. I'm sure most of us waste (yes, WASTE) $7 or more a week on garbage. I'd rather spend that money on protecting my skin. It's up to you.

Finally, just a little tip. If you love this sunscreen, buy several bottles during Sephora's annual Friends and Family discount. Unopened, this sunscreen should last 2 years (if stored properly) so I plan to buy a one year supply each December. 20% off of $330 = $66 saved. That's almost two bottles free.

Always remember to apply your sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside! :)

INGREDIENTS : Water, Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Polybutylene Glycol/PPG-9/1 Copolymer, Dimethicone Copolyol, Dextrin Palmitate, Xylitol, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glutathione, Zinc Myristate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Thiotaurine, Scutellaria Baicalensis Extract, Ectoin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Aluminum Hydroxide, Isostearic Acid, Stearic Acid Disteardimonium Hectorite, Silica, Alcohol, Trisodium EDTA, BHT, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Fragrance, Titanium Dioxide. continued >>

42 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2008 2:03:00 PM More reviews by JessieWW

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Used this a little while back: I liked the consistency and everything about this product at first but by day 3 the sunscreen ingredients (and perhaps other ingredients?) were breaking me out.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2008 3:18:00 PM More reviews by bibiancheng

its high price, its white residue, and the allergy I have from it (I will have scale on my skin after using it, anyways, I know it's just me) I won't buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2008 6:13:00 PM More reviews by peachachess

Holy grail of holy grails. I had been long devoted to La Roch Posay's sunscreens, even though I always felt a little bit greasy-I just thought that was the best I could do. Then I tried this, and was surprised at how matte the finish is and how well it protects my skin. I wear this under mineral makeup and even after a busy 13 hour shift at the hospital I am still as matte as when I left the house. I happen to love the "oriental flower" fragrance of this SS and it doesn't irritate my skin. Will repurchase forever!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2008 11:50:00 AM More reviews by jennifermus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is the only sunblock I can use on my face without breaking out, looking greasy, or casting a white ghostlike cast. I now can feel protected from the sun's harmful rays without worrying about acne. Also, I have layered this over my YSL foundation later in the day (yes, over) and it has looked completely natural. Amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2008 7:02:00 PM More reviews by GinSengTea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

My first ever Japanese ss was Sofina. But I found it very drying and I hate having to order it online. So, after reading the reviews for this Shiseido ss on MUA. I decided that I'll try it. So I just walked into Nordstrom and pick one up. I have to admit, the texture of Shiseido ss is a little thicker than Sofina Lucent, but it's not as drying. And I still get a matte finish. Compare to the Sofina ss, the Shiseido ss is cheaper when compare per oz. So, a cheaper price, less drying and readily available = my new HG ss.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2008 8:31:00 AM More reviews by Tpot

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The version I have is SPF 50 PA+++, same name.
    Good, esp for oily skins as it gives a matte finish. However, it leaves a silicony, powdery texture that takes getting used to. & I don't like the scent. Otherwise, no complaints as it's a rarity to find a sunblock that does not give me a shine. This fits the bill perfectly.

EDIT: The smell & powdery texture got to me. Have stopped using it, which is a shame as it works well for oily skins like mine. No shine, nice matte finish that stays all day. Just can't stand the scent though. I gave 4 lippies as those who have oily skins & don't mind the scent will enjoy using it.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/20/2008 12:03:00 AM More reviews by mdiane

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh I had such high hopes that I would finally find a good sunscreen that didn't make me break out! Alas, Shiseido, to me, seems no different than your average sunscreen in both texture and quality. And it definitely made me break out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2008 12:06:00 AM More reviews by ericaberryy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Im very happy with this product. I have oily skin and ive noticed this helps control the oil... what a great side effect. It helps my foundation cling better, like a primer. I love it!