December 22, 2014 | 1825 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Up The Amp

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2011 9:06:00 PM More reviews by dcabc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I thought this was going to be an amped-up version of faux - still in the vibrant blue-pink family, just with more purple undertones. Up the Amp, however, is straight up purple. Like bright, glowing, radioactive purple. I was horrified when I first put in on my lips and promptly packed it back up to return, but then I decided to give it another chance by mixing it with other products. Since I have yet to find a use for my VG Gaga II (much too pale for my NW15 skin) I put on a coat of that, lightly blotted, and then swiped on Up the Amp. Lovely! It's the color I thought I was getting - a bright, milky pink lavender. So while I'm not a fan of lipsticks that don't work for me right out of the tube, I'm keeping it after all, if only because now I have a purpose for my Gaga II!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/25/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by beachydolphin

This lipstick has a great soft, creamy texture. Really comfortable to wear. I would not purchase this color again as its too purple for me. I would however buy the brand, just in a different color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2011 8:47:00 AM More reviews by AliceinWonderland

Up the Amp is a purple pink. It tends to look more pinkish than purple on me. It especially pops when I apply the dazzleglass in "Money Honey" over top of it. Gives it wow factor and everyone compliments it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2011 9:26:00 PM More reviews by Honey87

I love this. It's an Amplified Creme and their textures are really smooth and feel good on the lips. I don't like purple lips believe me, but this looks good applied the right way. I apply one coat and put a light pink lipgloss on top. It then looks pink with a purple hue rather than sooo purpley. However I love the pinky purple look it gives me once I put the gloss over it. I am Asian and that is a much more flattering way to wear the lipstick. Good product and good staying power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/26/2011 4:10:00 AM More reviews by nubletta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This looks fabulous on fair skin. My mother wears this all the time (its her signature color) and always repurchases it!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2011 9:54:00 AM More reviews by quebella

Its a beautiful blue based lipstick which gives plenty of coverage and good colour pay off. i've seen it looks purple on some people but on me it looks more pink with just a hint of purple. would definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/8/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by amandalsl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd give this a 4.5 rating if I could!

Color - A lovely lavender shade that gives my face a nice pop of color that isn't too in-your-face. I apply this without any lipliner and do just fine as this is a very forgiving shade. For reference I'm NC20-25 in MAC, 117 in MUFE HD.

Texture - Just amazing. I swear by MAC's Amplified formula and honestly believe its right up there with the high end brands. Its such a dream to wear because it never settles into lines & conceals any imperfections on my lips with its super pigmentation.

Staying Power - This is a bit tricky. Yes, the product deffo stays on my lips for around 6 hours, but the color that's left on the lips after it wears off is a bit yuck. It becomes a sickly lilac color which just looks wrong on me, and I need to reapply. I only like the initial vibrant lavender shade before it wears down, and that doesn't last past a meal.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/30/2011 8:35:00 AM More reviews by Liladelaka

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

..ok, this is my first review ever! But I found the reviews regarding "Up the Amp" so helpful that I decided to write one, too :-)

After reading all the other reviews, I bought "Up the Amp" two days ago without trying it in the store (there was no time left...). I wanted something fresh and bright for spring, normally am I into nudes and mlbb-colours (think Modesty, Syrup or Faux). And I fell totally in love with Up the Amp! I am quite pale, with rather pigmented lips. On me, Up the Amp is a nice, fresh medium pink/purple, noticeable, but not ov er the top. If applied lightly, it just brightens my face without looking "too much", but it can be layered to a deeper colour. Doesn't dry out my lips and it's the first colour which looks better on me without putting gloss over it. I paired it with neutral taupe eyes, bronzer and Breath of Plum blush...I will definitely buy again and again...

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2011 8:17:00 PM More reviews by makeupvirgin1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love MAC's amplified colors. I got this color on Friday (today is Monday) and i have been wearing it everyday I LOVE IT. The color is just so vibrant on my nc50 skin tone but it really compliments it and it is not overbearing. I just love it and they say this is a staple color for women of color and i couldnt agree more. I would buy this again and again and again

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2011 12:27:00 AM More reviews by milyaksaysmoo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this lipstick as a result of many reviews raving about it and liking the look of the color myself.

I must say that even though I did my research and looked up many swatches, I still think that the final look of the lipstick when applied can look EXTREMELY different based on the pigmentation of a person's lips, and how they applied it (i.e. did they put it on super thick, did they finish it off with gloss). Additionally, I like that the finish is Amplified Creme so it doesn't dry my lips out. However, I did use lip balm before I applied this lipstick.

As a total makeup newbie, I found the application process quite smooth, and where I did make mistakes, it was easy to take a tissue and soak a small area with water and go over my 'problem' areas. I blotted it once, and reapplied lightly, and this gave me a nice result.

In my opinion, this lipstick looks really good if you want the central focus of your makeup to be your lips, and also, it provides a pop of color if you're wearing neutral/khaki clothes.

I bought this lipstick before the price increase brought it up to S$30 (from S$28). I know it's a 'small' increase but if I hadn't bought it when I did, I might have hesitated due to the price which I find quite high now.