Philosophy When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

3.5

water (aqua), glyceryl polymethacrylate, pentylene glycol, propylene glycol, glycerin, butylene glycol, hydrolyzed soy protein, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, palmitoyl pentapeptide-3, glutathione, potassium ascorbyl tocopheryl phosphate, larrea divaricata (chaparral) extract, sodium hyaluronate, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, allantoin, carbomer, lecithin, polysorbate 20, sodium hydroxide, phenoxyethanol, methylbromo glutaronitrile, fragrance, tetrasodium edta.

on 7/13/2007 8:09:00 PM

I have been using the Makeup Optional Kit for Congested Skin, and this is part of it.

After using Purity Made Simple (recommend!), I apply a few drops of When Hope is not Enough to my face and neck. It comes packaged in a clinical-looking bottle with a dropper in the cap.

I don't know if it is the whole kit that makes my skin feel great, or what, but whatever, this is part of the kit. And my skin feels great!

It did smell a little in the bottle, but the scent doesn't stay on your skin for long.

on 7/9/2007 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I received this in a swap and I have been using it 1x/day for a week now. I am used to using high potency vitamin C serums and thought I would give this a try for comparison.

I haven't noticed any breaking out as some other have remarked. I did get a couple bigger zits on my jaw line after I had started using it but I think that was more of a coincidence. It was right around my period so I'm sure those zits were caused by hormones not the serum.

So far, I'm just "eh" about it. I will use the product all the way through as I don't hate it THAT much, but I wouldn't recommend it or buy it.

My biggest complaints are of course, the smell and the dropper bottle. I wish the serum was in a pump instead of the dropper as it would be more user friendly. The smell is awful. It does dissipate but I think people are going to be turned off by using a product if it smells offensive to them, no matter how long the scent lingers. I actually hold my breath while applying it. Its not as bad as the Perricone serums, but I feel like Perricone's serums are more likely to do more for your skin so I would be more likely to tolerate the scent from those.

When I finish this bottle, I'll be going back to my standard Vitamin C serum during the day.

on 6/15/2007 3:36:00 PM

So far, I am a fan of this serum. Aside from the stinky smell (which isn't too strong and dissipates quickly) it is really nice. It soaks in quickly without being sticky or greasy. It is not oily at all. When I first used it, I put way too much on and it started to peel off my skin. A little does go a long way, and if you don't apply too much it won't peel. I will keep you updated, but so far it has left my dehydrated combo skin bright and clear.

on 5/15/2007 8:12:00 PM

I started using this a week ago with the Philosophy vitamin C powder which I'd previously used with a different moisturiser with no problem. I know have 5 zits on my face. Every time I apply this, I have a new spot by the end of the day! My skin was clear before I started using this serum, I feel so angry. What is it in the ingredients that are causing this to happen?

on 5/15/2007 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I've been using this a couple of days ago already. I like the texture of my skin after putting this on. It makes my pores look smaller. although, I have not notice any good moisturizing power, well, perhaps not yet... I will update in a few weeks time.

on 5/13/2007 10:45:00 AM

I love this product, its oil free texture is perfect for my oily and congested t-zone, I apply this day (with Vit C powder) and night and have seen a real improvement in the texture of my skin, plus the wrinkles around my eyes and forehead have definetly softened. Plus importantly it does not irritate my sensitive skin, I will def repurchase and am a philosophy convert!

on 5/8/2007 6:53:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this serum! I have oily, acne-prone skin but want to combat the signs of aging. That is often hard to do without products that are heavy, greasy, or oily. This serum is none of that!! It is light and sinks right into the skin, even my oily skin. It does not leave a residue at all and goes on like water. I feel protected from the elements with the antioxidants and it helps even my skin tone. I took one lippie away because I am not sure what it can actually do for lines already present on the skin. While I feel protected and believe I am combating the signs of aging and prolonging the youth of my skin, it is not instantly gratifying in disguising fine lines and wrinkles. I do not believe any product (Rx and cosmetic procedures aside) can reverse the signs of aging.

UPDATE 3/30/08 I still love this serum. I was discouraged to read from a dermatologist, however, that vit C products that turn color or have been opened longer than 3 months are no longer effective! Still use and love this and mix with a stable vit C powder.

Again, I wonder if the people who are using this and don't like it are younger. tend to have more oilier skin? This is one of thier anti-age products! If you have maturing skin, this is a great product. I can't imagine using this on my skin 20 years ago though. It does what it is supposed to do. It lifts and firms and gives the skin a nice glow. I love it.

on 3/25/2007 9:33:00 AM

This did nothing but smell funny. Not worth the $$.

on 3/20/2007 6:19:00 PM

The fact that this product is merely mediocre combined with the revolting smell, awful texture and dire packaging makes it a non repurchase for me. Don't get me wrong its not a useless product its fine for what its meant to do, there are just better serums out there.

Popular Face Skincare Products