October 24, 2014 | 1730 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2007 8:12:00 PM More reviews by ALBA

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using this a week ago with the Philosophy vitamin C powder which I'd previously used with a different moisturiser with no problem. I know have 5 zits on my face. Every time I apply this, I have a new spot by the end of the day! My skin was clear before I started using this serum, I feel so angry. What is it in the ingredients that are causing this to happen?

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2007 11:02:00 AM More reviews by MoiBelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this a couple of days ago already. I like the texture of my skin after putting this on. It makes my pores look smaller. although, I have not notice any good moisturizing power, well, perhaps not yet... I will update in a few weeks time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2007 10:45:00 AM More reviews by reynoldskl

I love this product, its oil free texture is perfect for my oily and congested t-zone, I apply this day (with Vit C powder) and night and have seen a real improvement in the texture of my skin, plus the wrinkles around my eyes and forehead have definetly softened. Plus importantly it does not irritate my sensitive skin, I will def repurchase and am a philosophy convert!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by dtupaz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this serum! I have oily, acne-prone skin but want to combat the signs of aging. That is often hard to do without products that are heavy, greasy, or oily. This serum is none of that!! It is light and sinks right into the skin, even my oily skin. It does not leave a residue at all and goes on like water. I feel protected from the elements with the antioxidants and it helps even my skin tone. I took one lippie away because I am not sure what it can actually do for lines already present on the skin. While I feel protected and believe I am combating the signs of aging and prolonging the youth of my skin, it is not instantly gratifying in disguising fine lines and wrinkles. I do not believe any product (Rx and cosmetic procedures aside) can reverse the signs of aging.

UPDATE 3/30/08 I still love this serum. I was discouraged to read from a dermatologist, however, that vit C products that turn color or have been opened longer than 3 months are no longer effective! Still use and love this and mix with a stable vit C powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by CarolynBergen

Again, I wonder if the people who are using this and don't like it are younger. tend to have more oilier skin? This is one of thier anti-age products! If you have maturing skin, this is a great product. I can't imagine using this on my skin 20 years ago though. It does what it is supposed to do. It lifts and firms and gives the skin a nice glow. I love it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2007 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Jaimee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This did nothing but smell funny. Not worth the $$.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2007 6:19:00 PM More reviews by kolokithaki

The fact that this product is merely mediocre combined with the revolting smell, awful texture and dire packaging makes it a non repurchase for me. Don't get me wrong its not a useless product its fine for what its meant to do, there are just better serums out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2007 8:49:00 PM More reviews by kookla31

HECK YES I WOULD BUY THIS AGAIN! But the name should be pore shrinker. It really has shrunk my pores and made my skin all glowy. Its worth the money and works well with all the other face products I have purchased from Philosphy.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2007 12:51:00 AM More reviews by illinigirl54

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product along with the rest of the "Makeup Optional" products made me break out. I used each one separately to determine if that was the case, and it was true. I have oily/sensitive skin. The serum did soak into my skin, but did nothing to improve the quality of it. All it did was leave me with white bumps. As much as I do not like the "Makeup Optional" skincare, I do like the On a clear day serum- best out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2007 6:48:00 PM More reviews by technopixie

I can't really comment on the firming/lifting/wrinkle helping ability of this serum, like other reviewers I got it for its antioxidant benefit and because I wanted a peptide serum to help heal the occasional acne flare-up. Overall this is doing a great job, I've seen great results in 3-4 days. My acne spots are significantly less red and healing up much faster than they ever have before, my skin looks more even, and my cheeks, forehead, and chin aren't red. I don't think you can call this bad smelling, the tester in Sephora didn't really smell like anything and my bottle kind of smells like rosemary and pine. I highly recommend giving this a try, especially in conjuncture with an at-home microderm kit like the Olay Regenerist, or a cream exfoliant like Dermalogica or Kate Somerville.
Update: I stopped using is a few years ago when my skin turned a bit more mature (less acne and inflammation, more dryness), but my skin has been reed, painful, and ultra active lately thanks to craziness at work and my looming wedding. I remembered this and picked up a bottle; almost instant relief, combined with my regimen of sweet almond oil as a cleanser and moisturizer.