September 30, 2014 | 1047 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - When Hope Is Not Enough - Serum

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2007 10:45:00 AM More reviews by reynoldskl

I love this product, its oil free texture is perfect for my oily and congested t-zone, I apply this day (with Vit C powder) and night and have seen a real improvement in the texture of my skin, plus the wrinkles around my eyes and forehead have definetly softened. Plus importantly it does not irritate my sensitive skin, I will def repurchase and am a philosophy convert!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2007 6:53:00 PM More reviews by dtupaz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this serum! I have oily, acne-prone skin but want to combat the signs of aging. That is often hard to do without products that are heavy, greasy, or oily. This serum is none of that!! It is light and sinks right into the skin, even my oily skin. It does not leave a residue at all and goes on like water. I feel protected from the elements with the antioxidants and it helps even my skin tone. I took one lippie away because I am not sure what it can actually do for lines already present on the skin. While I feel protected and believe I am combating the signs of aging and prolonging the youth of my skin, it is not instantly gratifying in disguising fine lines and wrinkles. I do not believe any product (Rx and cosmetic procedures aside) can reverse the signs of aging.

UPDATE 3/30/08 I still love this serum. I was discouraged to read from a dermatologist, however, that vit C products that turn color or have been opened longer than 3 months are no longer effective! Still use and love this and mix with a stable vit C powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2007 11:11:00 PM More reviews by CarolynBergen

Again, I wonder if the people who are using this and don't like it are younger. tend to have more oilier skin? This is one of thier anti-age products! If you have maturing skin, this is a great product. I can't imagine using this on my skin 20 years ago though. It does what it is supposed to do. It lifts and firms and gives the skin a nice glow. I love it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2007 9:33:00 AM More reviews by Jaimee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This did nothing but smell funny. Not worth the $$.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2007 6:19:00 PM More reviews by kolokithaki

The fact that this product is merely mediocre combined with the revolting smell, awful texture and dire packaging makes it a non repurchase for me. Don't get me wrong its not a useless product its fine for what its meant to do, there are just better serums out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2007 8:49:00 PM More reviews by kookla31

HECK YES I WOULD BUY THIS AGAIN! But the name should be pore shrinker. It really has shrunk my pores and made my skin all glowy. Its worth the money and works well with all the other face products I have purchased from Philosphy.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2007 12:51:00 AM More reviews by illinigirl54

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product along with the rest of the "Makeup Optional" products made me break out. I used each one separately to determine if that was the case, and it was true. I have oily/sensitive skin. The serum did soak into my skin, but did nothing to improve the quality of it. All it did was leave me with white bumps. As much as I do not like the "Makeup Optional" skincare, I do like the On a clear day serum- best out there.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2007 6:48:00 PM More reviews by technopixie

I can't really comment on the firming/lifting/wrinkle helping ability of this serum, like other reviewers I got it for its antioxidant benefit and because I wanted a peptide serum to help heal the occasional acne flare-up. Overall this is doing a great job, I've seen great results in 3-4 days. My acne spots are significantly less red and healing up much faster than they ever have before, my skin looks more even, and my cheeks, forehead, and chin aren't red. I don't think you can call this bad smelling, the tester in Sephora didn't really smell like anything and my bottle kind of smells like rosemary and pine. I highly recommend giving this a try, especially in conjuncture with an at-home microderm kit like the Olay Regenerist, or a cream exfoliant like Dermalogica or Kate Somerville.
Update: I stopped using is a few years ago when my skin turned a bit more mature (less acne and inflammation, more dryness), but my skin has been reed, painful, and ultra active lately thanks to craziness at work and my looming wedding. I remembered this and picked up a bottle; almost instant relief, combined with my regimen of sweet almond oil as a cleanser and moisturizer.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2006 1:49:00 AM More reviews by LianneK

I got this as part of the Makeup Optional kit. Long story short, it made me break out, and I don't often break out from skincare products (of course, I check labels very carefully for potentially problematic ingredients). But, come on. I've put plain cocoa butter right on the drier areas of my face, and it migrated around to the oilier areas of my face, and I still didn't break out. But Hope in a Jar broke me out. And the When Hope is Not Enough serum broke me out. And the lip/eye cream gave me milia when I used it as an eye cream, and wasn't nearly hydrating enough as a lip treatment. The peel was ok, didn't cause problems but didn't do anything great either. I didn't even try the cleanser as it has so many essential oils in it, I wasn't willing to chance it. I tried both the serum and the cream separately, and they both broke me out. I don't return stuff that often to Sephora, but this was $68 & tax that I definitely insisted on getting back. I doubt I'll ever try any Philosophy skin products again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2006 6:19:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I will probably re-purchase this product for 2 reasons: 1- The price. This is a very good price for a serum; and 2- The viscosity. It is watery and sinks into my skin perfectly and immediately. I have yet to find a serum that sinks in this well. I have had zero problems with putting makeup or moisturizer on top of this. I want to use a serum for the antioxidant benefits, but with every other serum I've tried my face ends up an oily or sticky mess once I add sunscreen, or moisturizer, or makeup on top of it. This one does not have that problem. I use Aveda tinted moisturizer with spf on top of this most every day and have not had any extra oil on my face. Another issue with serums is that they usually seem to make my makeup last less time- again, this one passes the test. It seems to have no effect on my makeup at all. This serum would be drying without putting some type of moisture over it- so, don't try it alone. Also, I'm not sure it's making a lot of difference in my skin. My skin looks great but that could be due to any number of products I use. It's hard to say. Regardless, I think it has to be doing something because the ingredients are good and it's the only one so far that hasn't ruined my makeup. For this price this is worth a try.