July 26, 2014 | 1533 users online

Conditioner - LUSH - Retread

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2007 10:08:00 AM More reviews by babylis12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm really surprised by the reviews for this conditioner. I just purchased this and I'm really loving it. My boyfriend bought it a couple of months ago and his hair was really soft and smelled really good after using it! At the time I couldnt afford to buy it myself and I had a lot of Veganese left but when I ran out of Veganese I decided to splurge for this! I'm so glad I did. It works when I want my hair to be wavy and it REALLY works when I want my hair to be straight. It doesnt weight my hair down and the scent really stays in your hair!
I've used it with BIG, seanick (best combo), and jumping juniper. I'll be using it with rehab next :)

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2007 9:49:00 AM More reviews by blitzzkrieg

This did absolutely NOTHING for my dyed african american hair. I don't think it moisturized, conditioned, or made my hair shiny at all. A complete waste of $$$

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2007 5:40:00 AM More reviews by iloveshoesandcoffee

Smells horrible - like rotten fruits and rancid milk. I hold my nose when I use this and wash it out really well afterwards. Despite the vile smell, this does wonders for my hair. I have long thick, coarse, frizzy, curly color treated hair and it makes it soft and easy to work with. Not shiny, though. I'm still debating whether or not I need to repurchase this. I like what it does but hate the smell, the packaging, and the fact that this does not last too long. I think I got about 5-6 applications out of the tub.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2007 9:19:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am not fond of how it smells in the tub (I think it's the soymilk), but for some reason my hair smells awesome for hours after I rinse it out. Equally impressive is how soft my hair feels. I have thick, naturally curly, color-treated hair that I blow out straight a few times a week. While I wouldn't use this every day, a couple times a week is just right. Used in conjunction with another LUSH fave of mine, Recon (a scalp treament), my previously damaged hair (by way of too much flatironing) is well on the mend.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2007 3:05:00 AM More reviews by poppiesandboppies

EDIT: I've changed my mind a bit on this conditioner after using it for a while. It moisturises and conditions my hair well and everything except adding shine. My hair feels really soft afterwards even if I iron it or blow dry. It might even add shine to other users, maybe my hair is just a lost cause due to the amount of damage done previously.

Old review:I had high hopes for this product but it doesn't condition or strengthen like it promises. I iron my hair on a daily basis and in the last year I've coloured it 5 times therefore I have dry, brittle hair. This conditioner does leave my hair feeling soft and I don't mind the scent at all, actually leaning towards liking it, but I find my hair looking dull. Also, like everyone else, I find the jar quite annoying.
I'd probably reccommend this to someone who doesn't style their hair often, as I do think it's moisturising but just not enough for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2007 11:15:00 AM More reviews by cbranden

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

******************* UPDATE: I spoke to an SA at the LUSH store the other day, and (without any provocation from me) she said that the Retread smells "like a ZOO!" So I guess I was close in my review, considering even the workers think it smells like elephant crap (or similar)!************

Disclaimer: This is the first review that I have felt compelled to write on MUA, and sadly, it is a negative one :( As penance for speaking negatively about this product, I promise to write positive reviews about a few of my HGs very soon!

I will also preface this by stating that my negative reaction is partly my fault for not patiently getting a sample of this conditioner before buying, as LUSH always offers generous samples. However, I did not expect my reaction to be so adverse, as most conditioners are not this horrible.******

Before I get into my real gripe, I will point out that Retread did not do ANYTHING to condition/moisturize my hair at all! If anything, it actually made it MORE dry and brittle. However, I think that even if this product moisturized my hair better than anything, and even if it made my hair look like one of those annoying models in the commercials (the ones always swinging their fabulous shiny hair around), I would not touch this again with a 10-foot pole!*******

But what makes Retread so awful is that it stinks like MOLDY ASS! That was harsh... so maybe it stinks like dead flowers and rotten fruit, covered in a mixture of sour milk and raw sewage. I'm really shocked because I smelled it in the tub before I purchased it, and it smelled... slightly odd, but not necessarily bad. I also have curly hair and use a lot of product, so I figured any scent would be drowned out by that, as is usual with me. But the second I put it on my hair - WOW, I had to rinse it off after 15 seconds because I felt like I might throw up (seriously!) Please do yourself and everyone else around you a favor - ask for a sample before buying this stanky stuff!*******

Unlike others, I would not necessarily care about the poor packaging or high price if the product inside were of good quality. But I have to say that I would not even use this again if it were in a convenient bottle and they were giving it away for free... Wait, actually, I would not even take it if LUSH paid ME to take it!!*******

This morning, I couldn't shampoo my hair again right away because my hair becomes too dry if I shampoo twice in the same day, so I just put my other conditioner on, hoping to cover up the smell. But even after that, and after all of the styling products I used, it still stinks SO badly - you can't even imagine! I even pulled my hair back today to help ignore the smell (which caused my hair to SNAP OFF because it is so brittle from using Retread), but I still get whiffs of it every now and then, and EW...ew ew ew! I am completely nauseous if I smell it - or even think about the scent again!*******

On second thought, I don't care if my hair becomes super-dry as a result... I am shampooing again as soon as I get home tonight! I just hope I don't throw up before I get there!******

Okay, I am done with the rant... many apologies for the negativity, but I really do feel very strongly about this product - it is simply awful! I honestly hope I never have to smell this again EVER - but it will be my luck that someone will sit down next to me on the train (or a long flight) who has just used this, and I will get queasy all over again... that always happens :)*******

IN SUMMARY, all Retread did was activate my gag reflex... repeatedly! Stay away if you don't want to stink and have your hair break off - I would give it ZERO lippies if I could! That said, I still think LUSH is a great company with innovative products, many of which I have used and enjoyed... but this is just not one of them :(

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2007 6:25:00 AM More reviews by Djamilla

I didn't like the smell, and the packaging it terrible. Every time you get some products there will get water in it. It didn't do much for my hair. Wouldn't buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/13/2007 8:27:00 PM More reviews by Shanmac

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I like this a lot -- very nice scent (fruity but not overpowering), and scent is a big deal to me when it comes to hair products. What's really nice about this is it doesn't weigh my hair down. I have long, dark, thick, coarse hair, and I usually go for ultra-moisturizing stuff to keep it from getting dry or frizzy -- and most of that ends up being really heavy conditioners. Retread did the job of conditioning my hair nicely, and it's smooth and doesn't feel heavy. It kind of reminds me of the way it felt when I was a kid -- shiny and smooth, but also light. Good stuff, LUSH.I know a lot of people complain about LUSH's packaging, but I don't mind the container this comes in. It's easy and neat enough and it's more attractive than most LUSH containers. If I traveled with this, I'd probably wrap it tightly, though, because I'd be afraid it might leak.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2007 5:13:00 PM More reviews by sammybee

Leaves my hair soft and lovely. I don't notice much of a scent, which is fine. I use it about 3 times a week on my fine, color-treaeted hair, alternating with American Cream.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2006 12:49:00 PM More reviews by harls321

I really like this conditioner for my thick, color treated hair. It helps keep it soft and shiney. The packaging could be better but I am happy with the results. I would repurchase. This is the only conditioner they make that works on my hair.