July 24, 2014 | 2150 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2011 1:59:00 AM More reviews by SDinWI

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is an excellent home highlighting kit. I have dark blonde hair with heavy light blonde highlights that have been done at a salon for years. I purchased the honey highlights for medium to dark brown hair. I was hesitant to try highlighting my own hair again but I thought it was worth a try especially since I am trying to save money.

The color turned out great. I pulled strands through every hole and left the color on for 45 minutes. I over saturated about 4 strands and noticed they were almost white when I finally rinsed. While combing my hair I noticed there were some fuzzies that had broken off but nothing significant. I probably could have achieved a good color had I rinsed after 35-40 minutes.

I definitely recommend pre-punching the holes. I missed some and think I made divets in my scalp when I was able to finally poke through. I would also would recommend having someone pull the hair through the holes in the back. It was really tricky doing it by myself with a mirror and took a really long time.

Many of the reviews I read about using a home highlighting kit recommended buying a metal hook, but the hook included with this kit worked fine. It did not pull a lot of hair through the hole so I had to go go back in and get more strands of hair. Other than that I think it worked well.

I will definitely buy this product again. I may go to the salon every once in a while to even up the highlights but intend to use this product from now on - especially knowing I am saving so much money and getting pretty much the same results.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by powersuit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the only highlite kit that is less damaging. My baby fine hair doesn't suffer much, and the highlites are never brassy. my hair always rinses out soft, and the highlites are even and very complimentary!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 4:26:00 PM More reviews by snoopy68

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Love this high-lighting kit! Salon results at home! Costs $6.99! Cannot be beat and in my opinion the best high-lighting kit sold in drugstores or a beauty supply store.

I have naturally medium, ashy-brown hair w/ approx. 15% gray that can be difficult to lift out of the orange stage. I pulled every circled hole in the cap (thin strands of hair), left the mixture on my hair for a full 60 minutes, and I now have lovely honey/caramel colored highlights! This product did not fry my hair either. The color really brightened my face!

It was not difficult at all to pull through the holes with a hook, but use a metal hook, ladies, not a plastic hook. You can cheaply purchase a metal hook at Sally's. Granted, my hair is currently med.-short, fine, yet thick in texture, but even when my hair was very long, I didn't have a difficult time pulling through with the hook. Just brush your hair out smoothly and pull the cap on. Have the hooked tip facing up when you puncture the cap to pull out a strand of hair. Should work relatively effortlessly for most.

I probably would not recommend the honey/caramel for light to med. brown for dark brown color. Like I said, my hair is a med. brown and it took every bit of the 60 minutes to pull the color out to the lovely honey/caramel shade.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 7:27:00 PM More reviews by mollyfaerie

My mom has me use this on her hair with this all the time, she has very dark hair, almost black, with a good amount of gray as well. The highlights show up amazingly well, and do not fade.

I wouldn't recommend it for longer hair, as its harder to pull through the cap and can get tangled. I don't think I could do my own hair either, get someone else to do it for you. My mom's hair is very short and when I do her hair with this, it doesn't take very long at all. But without a doubt this is the best highlighting kit from a box out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2011 4:57:00 PM More reviews by KenaHew

Naturally I have dark brown hair, so I picked up the honey highlighting Frost and Glow kit for medium to dark hair in hopes of giving myself a lighter color. I actually used this kit twice, and it was amazing! you def need someone to help you do the back, and I suggest using every hole in the cap, not just the circled ones, because the effect is much more subtle than you would think as you're dying it. I have long hair so it took about an hour to pull the hair through. Then i combed the pulled hair to make sure no blobs would result. I would suggest putting the rest of your hair that you dont want bleached in a bun at the back of your neck covered in a plastic bag so no extra bleach gets on it! The first time i left the bleach in for 20mins and freaked out because it looked so blonde, but in actuality when i washed it out, it was a dirty strawberry blonde. Sooooo the second time i left it in for 30 mins and it looked platinum, but was actually a nice light honey blonde! DEFINITELY leave it in longer if you're on the fence about time, otherwise an orangey tone could result and its a bitch to dye over! All and all, a great product that I THINK is loads better than salon highlights and much much cheaper!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 10:25:00 PM More reviews by beckabeck

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this is my go to highlighting kit for years now, i always got brassy results at salon, but this kit gives nice ash and golden highlights. i only mix half of it and put the rest in sealed baggie. once you mix it all you have to use it up right away. to avoid too much breakage, after i rinse off but before i take cap off i mix olive oil with egg and deep conditioner. i leave that off for around 20 minutes or so and then i take cap off and rinse, then i use the shampoo and conditioner that comes with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2011 8:16:00 PM More reviews by Dostygirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I could not believe how great this product is. I have always been terrified to do highlights myself, limiting myself to an all over color that was ok, but boring. Unfortunately, money has been tight for a long time with no let up in the immediate future, so I thought, what the hell. And boy, how surprising. The only thing wrong with the product were my own mistakes (i.e. bleeding through the cap, pulling out a bit too much hair through some holes, etc.). My hair always pulls red, and there is not a hint of brass. Some tips, GET HELP. I did it myself and was a sweaty mess by the end. Two, do not glop the product on the cap itself, try to keep it on the hair as much as possible as this is probably what caused the bleeding. And third, and most important, do not go by the strand test. My strand test (and I took samples of hair from root to tip) took a full 60 minutes. With the product on my head, it was done in 30. I know it has to do with the heat from the scalp. So keep checking. And give it a try!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2011 10:08:00 AM More reviews by shoehoard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is for the Platinum Frost and Glow. Wow! Wow! Wow! I'm super impressed with this. I've been going to the salon now for years to pay for highlights. Since moving from FL to CT, I have not been pleased with any of my stylists when they do my highlights (black hair seems to be the norm up here). They can never lift my hair to the bright blonde that I want. So I took matters into my own hands. I watched every youtube video on this product. I watched videos on toners. I read everything I could about Frost and Glow. I went to Sally Beauty Supply and bought a Magicap with hook (ended up using just the hook) with Frost and Glow's cap.Good thing I did that cause my kit was missing the hook and spatula. I was able to pull small strands through the cap with the smaller hook on the front and sides. I had to have help from my husband on the back, although I probably could have done it - it just would have taken longer. Since my hair was already highlighted and I was just lifting to a more vibrant blonde, I checked my hair every 5 mins. I also sat under my portable bonnet dryer to speed up the processing. After 30 mins, I got in the shower to wash off the bleach. I panicked for a minute because I did lose some hair (bleaching on top of older highlights) but it wasn't a lot. I washed, conditioned, and towel dried. I had banana yellow highlights. Here's where the toner came in. I bought Wella White Lady T18 toner and combined it in a 1:1 ratio with 20 volume developer. I applied to my damp hair and left on for 5 minutes. I then showered again and left in deep treatment conditioner overnight. I blow dried and flat ironed this morning. Noticed slight breakage around the hairline but nothing major or unexpected. I uploaded a pic (that's me in the turquoise necklace). I will never pay for professional highlights again!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by PiePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Worst highlighting experience ever! The package came with no gloves, no holes punched through the cap, and a hook with a sharp point on it which had to be filed off. After I filed the hook and punched holes in the cap, I put it on, pulled the hair through and mixed the solution. It mixed up creamy but within minutes of finishing the application, it turned hard and crunchy. I rinsed it off immediately and washed and conditioned my hair. The conditioner smelled and felt like lard. My hair was frizzy fried and I had to go to a salon to get it cut and deep-conditioned. It is still damaged and most of it was cut off so it is now extremely short. (It was not dry or colored to begin with, and was medium length.) I have contacted Revlon twice and they have ignored me both times. I do not even get the courtesy of a reply. Not only would I never buy this again, I will never buy any Revlon product again and am telling everyone I know - Beware!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm another happy user of this product. The good reviews convinced me to go with this product and not another brand. I was a little leery because my natural color is dark brown which tends to hold onto red. But after a year of having it done professionally and watching my stylist do it (she uses the cap too), and knowing how long she leaves the mixture on for, i figured i'd give it a go. I had to leave mine on for approx. 50 minutes until I was sure there was no orange in it (but some strands got very blonde/almost white, so I probably should have rinsed it off at 40 min?). The fact that my hair already has layers of highlights from before helped a lot too, because it all blends in. I agree with the other reviewer that the plastic hook that comes with the kit makes it hard to grab the strands, so to save aggravation get the metal one at Sally's. I should have so I have one or two larger chunks (they're not very noticeable though). All in all though i'm very happy with the results-- above all the color quality is comparable to professional-- and thrilled to pay $10 instead of $100!!! The only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the plastic hook!