April 20, 2014 | 982 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Frost & Glow Highlighting Kit

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by PiePie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Worst highlighting experience ever! The package came with no gloves, no holes punched through the cap, and a hook with a sharp point on it which had to be filed off. After I filed the hook and punched holes in the cap, I put it on, pulled the hair through and mixed the solution. It mixed up creamy but within minutes of finishing the application, it turned hard and crunchy. I rinsed it off immediately and washed and conditioned my hair. The conditioner smelled and felt like lard. My hair was frizzy fried and I had to go to a salon to get it cut and deep-conditioned. It is still damaged and most of it was cut off so it is now extremely short. (It was not dry or colored to begin with, and was medium length.) I have contacted Revlon twice and they have ignored me both times. I do not even get the courtesy of a reply. Not only would I never buy this again, I will never buy any Revlon product again and am telling everyone I know - Beware!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2011 12:14:00 AM More reviews by makeupdee

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm another happy user of this product. The good reviews convinced me to go with this product and not another brand. I was a little leery because my natural color is dark brown which tends to hold onto red. But after a year of having it done professionally and watching my stylist do it (she uses the cap too), and knowing how long she leaves the mixture on for, i figured i'd give it a go. I had to leave mine on for approx. 50 minutes until I was sure there was no orange in it (but some strands got very blonde/almost white, so I probably should have rinsed it off at 40 min?). The fact that my hair already has layers of highlights from before helped a lot too, because it all blends in. I agree with the other reviewer that the plastic hook that comes with the kit makes it hard to grab the strands, so to save aggravation get the metal one at Sally's. I should have so I have one or two larger chunks (they're not very noticeable though). All in all though i'm very happy with the results-- above all the color quality is comparable to professional-- and thrilled to pay $10 instead of $100!!! The only reason for 4 instead of 5 stars is the plastic hook!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by kaydeem

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using Frost and Glow for almost my whole life. When I was a kid, my mother and sister used to have me help pull their hair through a Frost and Glow cap for their monthly ritual of "refreshing" their blonde hair.

Highlighting your own hair through a cap is not difficult once you get the hang of it. You can get excellent results 99.9% of the time** (I'll explain in a minute) for pennies on the dollar. I also think that the bleach that Revlon uses is great. It lifts quickly and evenly with minimal damage.

If you're inexperienced at at-home highlighting, I would encourage you to watch some youtube videos to get familiar with the technique...it can be scary the first time you do it!

**Now, about my caveat of great results 99.9% of the time...what about the .1%??? Well, I've learned a few techniques that makes the very rare concurrence of a disaster even rarer. Here's what I've come up with:
-Generally, the first time you highlight, just have your hair parted the way you always do. This will make your highlights really show (in a good way!) After you've been highlighting for a while, watch colorist videos on youtube and experiment with parting your hair in different places so that it continues to look professional, and not overdone in certain spots.
-If you like a subtle, natural, un-chunky, un-striped type of highlight, then throw away the plastic hook that comes with the Revlon kit and buy a metal hook at Sally's. I have found that the cumbersome plastic hook can also rip the frosting cap, increasing the potential margin of error.
-Experiment with the hook for a while, like dress-rehearsal style. See how far in you have to poke. Find out if it's easier to hold the hook in a certain direction. Hold a mirror with one hand and work on the coordination of pulling from the back.
-If you accidentally hit a snarl and pull out a humongous chunk of hair, don't try to roll with it. Just take the cap off, and start pulling all over again, more carefully. I know it's a royal pain and no one has time for it, but having one obviously overly-highlighted section definitely makes it look like you did your hair at home (and not very well at that)
-While you are picking up that metal hook at Sally's, also pick up a color brush. You will want to brush the bleach onto the hair you've pulled (instead of glopping it on with a gloved hand) for a couple reasons: Firstly, you will have better control, and secondly, you will avoid overloading the root section where bleach could leak back through the hole and get onto other hair.
-If you have longer hair, it is helpful to gather the other hair that's hanging below the cap (stuff you are NOT highlighting) and loosely gather it in an old scrunchie. This prevents you from accidentally nailing the wrong hair strands.
-After you've applied the bleach, allow your hair to turn all the way to a lemon-yellow color if you want true blonde highlights. If you have really dark hair and only want a caramel color, then stay near a mirror and keep checking your hair...the moments between "caramel" and "brass-fest" are not a long ones.
-When you are ready to rinse, get in the shower with the cap on, get it wet, and put a little of the shampoo that comes with the kit on the highlighted hair with the cap still on...then slide the cap off. Makes it so much easier.

I still see a professional colorist once or twice a year, just to make sure nothing gets really out of balance, but I am able to do all my own in-between maintenance. I know that my ramble might be info overload, but I hope it can help someone. Because, when you do it right, a good cap highlighting job looks like you dropped 250.00 at the best salon for hand-painted balayage highlights...and for about 235.00 less. Thanks, Revlon! (I would have given them a full 5 if they still threw in the old-school metal hook!)

54 out of 55 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by castevet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so shocked that this product actually worked and my hair did NOT turn orange! 2 months ago I had my professional hairdresser cousin lift my dark hair a shade and give me some light highlights because my hair is turning gray in some areas and I thought my roots would blend better with lighter hair. My hair came out kind of brassy and uneven in spots, but I was happy overall with the change. When I was touching up on my roots recently I went overboard and went over all the nice light highlights in my bangs and was back to plain medium/dark brown hair again. I tried to fix my own highlights with the Revlon Frost & Glow kit in Honey after reading all these reviews here and I am so glad I did! I think my highlights came out even better than they were before, with no orange and minimal brass. I left it on for about 20 minutes and didn't have too many problems with the cap doing it on my own.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 5:49:00 PM More reviews by bozorico

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the first time buying a highlighting kit so I can't really compare to anything else. I used the one for dark brown hair in honey. Pulling my thick hair through the cap was a pain, but it's better to have someone help you. I used every hole and left it in for about 25 mins. It gave me reddish caramel highlights. I bought this for around $12 at CVS and it came great. Would probably repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by eapieper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have been experimenting with home hair colouring products for almost 20 years (yikes, that makes me feel old). I have never had a lot of success with the home highlighting kits: I have tried a few in the past, but always have ended up with brassy, blotchy results with the products that are applied with wands.

I have been trying to grow out my naturally medium/ dark blonde hair after having it cut to a short pixie style less than a year ago (after ++ damage from salon expensive bleaching/ colouring). I was hoping to go back to my natural colour mainly because I am sick of paying for expensive salon colouring.

I remember many years ago a friend of mine saying that she used this product, and her hair was a similar base colour as mine, and she had icy-blonde, natural looking hi-lites (looked like expensive salon colouring). I did not use this product in the past because I have been lured by the more modern packaging of some of the newer products.

Like I said, I have short hair (longest layers are just below my ears), that is naturally thick and wavy). I found that pulling the hair through the cap was fairly easy and took me less than 30 minutes (I only did face framing and crown protions of the cap, if I had done the underside I would have needed assistance from someone else). I pulled my hair through every hole in the cap.

I found that there was ample product for my short hair (I used approx 1/3 of the product). I left the product on for approx 30 minutes (at this point my hair looked very light blonde with no brassiness). I rinsed, washed and conditioned according to the package directions. I did not notice any breakage when I was combing or drying my hair.

I am super happy with the results. I achieved pretty, icy blonde natural looking hi-lites which are off-set by my natural ashy blonde undertones. I paid $10 for this product and I am happier with the results than I have been with salon colouring of $130 and many hours at the salon. I have washed my hair 2 times since the initial colouring and I am so far pleased with the condition of my hair.

I will definitely use this product again!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/10/2011 11:47:00 PM More reviews by plmcgarry

I just used the Revlon highlight kit for the honey blonde highlights for med dark hair. My hair was dyed and highlighted professionally 6 months ago but I couldn't afford to do it again so I decided to try this product. My hair was a med to darkish brown with caramel hightlights that had faded.
My friend helped me and we used the cap which took forever. I read a lot of the reviews from this website before I chose this product and although a lot of people said to leave it on for well over 30 minutes, after 25 minutes my head started to burn (heat like, not chemically) and so I panicked because it was rather painful and I washed it out. My hair is brassy, yellow and the ends are so fried that they feel rubbery and look singed, and they break easily!!!! I don't know what we did wrong :( Is there any advice on how long I have to wait before I can go to a salon and get it repaired somehow???? I regret doing this and my hair looks horrible now. I would love advice!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2011 2:10:00 AM More reviews by HShanks

I used this kit today on my light golden brown (from a box) hair. I purchased the Honey color for a mere $5.99. I followed the suggestion of others and pre-punched the circles in the cap and also applied shine serum prior to pulling the hair through. I was able to easily pull my hair through the face and crown sections without the help of a friend or SO. I left the mixture on for 30 minutes and was able to achieve nice thin golden caramel highlights. Next time I think I will leave on a little longer and pull thicker sections through to achieve a more dramatic look. All in all I'm very happy with this product. Highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2011 9:44:00 AM More reviews by archgurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used the kit for medium to dark brown hair for the first time yesterday. I wanted to add more highlights to my hair and fill in my roots that grew out over 2 months since using Loreal Touch On highlights. I am pleased with the extremely precise results although I wish that the highlights were more blonde. It took a long time to pull hair through every other hole in the plastic cap; my husband had to help with the back since it was impossible to reach on my own. I left on the product for 30 to 35 minutes. Next time I would leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or try the kit for blonde to light brown hair. I did not have the problem of dye/bleach seeping through the holes in the cap and leaving an unsightly spot near my roots because I applied the product from the ends of my hair and worked it up toward the cap. Overall, an impressive product for the $6.99 that I paid at Target! I definitely prefer this one to Loreal's Touch On highlights, which often turn out in strips that are too thick.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by Angeldoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have medium-dark brown hair that I have been highlighting with this kit for over 10 yrs now! It gives salon like results. I get sunkissed dark blonde/caramel like color (think: model gisele, jennifer anniston, jessica alba, alessandra ambrosio). I leave it on for 35-40 mins so it goes passed the brassy orange stage but doesnt get too blonde. I use it every 3 months as my roots get pretty dark quickly. I Love that this product has literally saved me thousands of dollars over the years. my HG. :)
EDIT: For reference I use the Honey highlighs kit for medium - dark brown hair.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No