September 17, 2014 | 2024 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Sunflowers

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2006 3:29:00 AM More reviews by kimberly73

?!)(#$&#(@Q$#

Sorry for the expletives, but I forgot all about this nightmare until a friend brought it up tonight as one of her all time favorites. I had thought that Clinique Happy and CK Obsession were my top 2 migraine nausea producers, but darn if she didn't remind me of this stuff...

I, quite literally, had to go home early from work years ago when a girl who sat near me wore this. A killer migraine came on, and I was sick to my stomach. It took 3 or 4 days to figure the culprit. Once I did, it was not pretty. She didn't want to stop wearing it, but was forced to by management. Apparently, I wasn't the only one who had complained. Yes, she may have worn too much...but this is just one of those scents that inspires love or TRUE and unabashed hatred. It brings out the evil in me if I get a whiff. Sorry to those who love it...body chemistry is what it is, though. I'm just here to say there are people who will literally want to -kill- you if you wear this around them. Ahem.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2006 9:42:00 AM More reviews by littlelamb

I find this quite nice despite the negative reviews. I don't use it often but it is a clean and casual fragrance, very reasonably priced and packaged in a cute bottle with yellow juice. There is nothing offensive about this fragrance, although it's not really special either.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2006 10:29:00 PM More reviews by Mr_Mellow

As a "5 sensitive senses" guy I prefer to review fragrances that I wear myself (men's, unisex or bordeline like Fendi/Fendi), but if enough women I am with wear a certain scent then I will review it for its effect on me. I have loved scent in general, and enjoyed trying new fragrances, since my eleventh birthday when I began going for twice monthly ritual haircuts at a true British barber's. The mirrored counters were lined with hundreds of scent bottles. They carried every product by Creed, Yardley, Aqua di Parma, Mennen, Stephans, Pinaud, Caswell, and Shulton, plus dozens of others imported from Germany, France and the Caribbean, so they could "finish" a haircut (or shave) properly.

Since I've known nearly ten women who have used Sunflowers (all were under 30 yo), I've answered the question, (spritz) "How do you like it?" many times about Sunflowers in both the perfume form and the EDT. This sort of citrusy, sort of floral scent is "okay" but at times it seems a bit sharp and chemically to me. I try to like it because the young ladies who are wearing it, want a positive response, but sometimes when they see my lack of enthusiasm for Sunflowers they reveal their true feelings by saying, "I'm just using it up" or "I know I'll be getting that horse-sweat smell on me and I wanted something to cover it up", or "it's hot on the gold course and I don't want to smell gross" or something equally "utility"

This fragrance seems to have had a very short lifespan as a trendy scent. It's not subtle though, and it is one of the few scents that can give me a headache if it is sprayed allot inside a small car or in an enclosed bathroom as I exit a shower. I'm guessing that although the components allow this scent to project strongly, it's intended to be a light (and hopefully subtle) freshener to use on hot summer days, when heavy florals and orientals might be too overpowering. It's true that this scent is inexpensive and it's made with some quality ingredients (and concentrated). But to me it seems like the formula leans too heavily on synthetics. It is possible to make a good citrus/floral fragrance, but only by relying less on synthetic ingredients.

There was one young lady who always layered this scent with Kolnish Wasser/4711. The first impression always emphasized citrus and the chemical sort-of sharpness was covered up. Then as the Kolnish Wasser faded (fast) Sunflower's floral scents seemed to retain a bit of the citrus flavor while mellowing to a light flowery (summery) kind of fragrance. Men seem to layer colognes like this all the time but women don't seem to do it much. But if you get a large bottle of Sunflowers in a grab bag or other low cost gift-giving situation, consider layering instead of throwing the Sunflowers away. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2006 3:21:00 AM More reviews by powerwoman

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

About 10 years ago, one of my colleagues wore this as her signature scent. The sickening stench permeated the entire office. It reminded me of the commercial deodorizers used in public restrooms...toilet water, anyone? The price and Elizabeth Arden label really shocked me. I honestly thought this was one of those cheap drugstore body sprays, like Calgon or Jean Nate. It's definitely not a sophisticated or youthful scent, IMO. I'd expect to smell this on an old lady sporting an appliqued sweat shirt and a fanny pack in the casino Keno hall. Do your fellow humans a favor and avoid this vile crap, please, I beg of you!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2006 10:47:00 AM More reviews by Gretchen76

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I remember this one from my college days, it seemed to be everywhere- I couldn't stand it then. A few years back a friend tried to fob this one off on me- I tested it again, it was just so sickenly sweet and strong-oh, it went to Goodwill. I haven't had much luck with any of the Arden fragrances.

Update: 4/13/08 Well, well, I never stop surprising myself. Blame it on the cold, long, snowy winter that we're still recovering from up here in New England- maybe it caused a temporary loss of rational thought. I found myself buying a mini of this just to see what my reaction would be- and (drumroll please) I...like it. No, I don't think it will ever be in my top ten, and it's still strong even for an EdT, but applied lightly, it IS very uplfiting, a little lemony, ummm! I have to give thanks to those of you who had positive remarks for Sunflowers--I think that's what convinced me to revisit this one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/21/2006 12:24:00 PM More reviews by CoconutBreeze

SICKENING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2006 3:30:00 PM More reviews by kolokithaki

I'm amazed that so many people hate this. Although it's not one of my 'must haves' every couple of summers I will smell someone wearing this and remember how good it smells and go out and buy some. I wear this during the summer and daytime only-for me this soesn't work for evenings. Its a happy, feminine scent and a definite mood lifter. Will repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2006 11:44:00 PM More reviews by NPC_Citizen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Not an extraordinary fragrance, but I do like its fresh, citrusy kind of smell. It's not too expensive, something you can wear daily, plus an nicish smell, the reasons why I would buy this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2006 8:12:00 AM More reviews by lorenbarton000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Ah Sunflowers - what a blast from the past ... This reminds me of the New West era, in fact they both smell rather similar and I could never distinguish whether friends/strangers were wearing New West or Sunflowers. It really is a pretty, fresh, citrus, summer smelling scent... I still really like it and find it is extremely cheap and has all day lasting ability - which is ace at such a great price... I know a lot of younger teens still wear it and I think that's great ! It's nice to smell it and re-live your youth ....

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2006 1:06:00 PM More reviews by catsrsmarterthandogs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wore this along time ago, and I loved it then, however, now I think it's a tad sharp, but still a nice scent, just not for me. I have a close friend who has worn this for years, and it smell so nice on her, creamy and honey like almost. I don't think it's bad for the price at all, but I have smelled alot more scents that are in the $20 range latly that smell better on me anyway. Still worth a try.