April 19, 2014 | 1774 users online

Fragrances - Elizabeth Arden - Red Door

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2008 7:10:00 AM More reviews by SimplePleasures

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I actually got this fragrance (in a small 10 mL bottle) as a gift from my dad. He always gets me perfume and he usually has really good taste. He said he loves this stuff, so he must have smelled it on some woman who really worked it but I just can't seem to pull it off. I thought it just didn't work with my body chemistry but I'm reading lots of bad reviews here... no one seems to like it!
To me it smells very musky (which I don't mind in moderation) and powdery (not a fan on any day). The bottle says it's an "eau due toilette spray naturel". Usually with toilettes, since they are lower fragrance potency than perfumes, I spray a bit more on (like behind my knees and elbows). But this stuff is SO STRONG. I wore it like I'd wear any other toilette once and the smell made me dizzy and my mom complained! Just one whiff off the nozzle and the scent stays in my nose for way too long!
I would never buy it, but I don't believe in wasting things so I'll try to come up with other uses for it- like on clothes or in my hair- and see how that works. So far I'll occassionally just spray it in the air and walk through it when I'm having a lazy day but want to wear something. But I would not reccomend.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2008 4:43:00 PM More reviews by murphysmomkk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is right up there with Angel as far as perfumes that should be banned forever. A sickening strong stench that has to be one of the most potent perfumes ever. True story, I worked in a chemical plant with strong smells like you cannot comprehend and my boss wore this and I could smell her on the other side of the plant - the Red Door actually beat out the acid and solvent smells of a chemical factory. I guess it deserves one lippie for that alone.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2008 2:08:00 PM More reviews by theramenninja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

red door is my grandmother's favourite scent. she's been wearing it for 20 years. i think she's 80 or something. red door is OFFENSIVE and very strong . . . and a running joke in my family. DO NOT BUY IT. lets hope it goes off the market.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2008 4:20:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Finally I sampled Red Door again lately, having not smelled it in well over a decade. It started out smelling fresh and floral, like springtime. For a minute I couldn't understand the low ratings here. And then it swiftly became the typical heavy and plasticky 80s-esque gagger! If you like Oscar DLR Volupte or Lancome Tresor, you will probably like Red Door too! 'No sale' is a definite understatement here.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2008 1:23:00 AM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I loved this fragrance on a friend of mine, so of course I bought it. I definatley realized it is far too 'heavy'. I am not a fan of musky scents and this dried down to a very deep musk/rose which is great on others..not on me. I reccomend trying it first if you don't normally wear strong perfume. Oh...and I gave it a 1 on the packaging...very 'Dynasty' from the 80's..lol..!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/19/2008 5:40:00 AM More reviews by jeanol

A friend wears this as her signature scent. On her it smells absolutely divine; on me cat's wee!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2008 6:31:00 AM More reviews by pixieface

My mother-in-law wears this, absolutely rank. This is gag material.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2008 9:54:00 PM More reviews by tinye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

smells like my mom, circa 1990. it's a nostalgic smell so i kind of love it, but it hasn't aged well. it seems very dated.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/18/2008 7:24:00 PM More reviews by josette40

I have been searching high and low for 5th avenue after 5 around here and have not been able to find it so I decided I would try a sample of Red Door, picked it up at Target today. I love it, smells like honeysuckle on me and very feminine and sexy, it drydowned very nicely on my skin. A classy, lovely fragrance, going to be one of my favorites.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2008 2:13:00 AM More reviews by kahou79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh my! A lot of people really hate this scent. Hmm, we have all become so watered down as far as fragrance. I have to say that I don't even smell cologne on anyone anymore. I think there is something so classy about smelling a whiff of fragrance when a woman walks by. What's the point of wearing the stuff if nobody can smell it? Well, anyway I used to wear this about ten years ago and I loved it. I think it smells very sophisticated and I don't care what anyone says. But, unfortunately, I became allergic to the scent and couldn't wear it anymore. If this didn't happen I would still be donning it with pride for it's a great scent for real women!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No