April 18, 2014 | 873 users online

Shampoo - LUSH - BIG

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2011 2:24:00 AM More reviews by olympialetantoli

I've purchased this product over a dozen times. I've been using it since I was 17. I now use the solid shampoos since I stopped colouring my hair. I love the sea salt in this mixture, really cleans and purifies the hair. Hair is nice and shiny and smells good. It is also a little more voluminous. If you want to detoxify your hair pick up a tub of this. You won't be sorry. I've switched to Godiva now since I no longer colour or process my hair... but if I start colouring my hair again I will get this. I just found that it helped my hair loads.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2011 1:01:00 PM More reviews by cosmetticjunki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

PROS: smell, multi-use, gives hair body, cleans hair gives shine, container (you can return 5 jars to get a free face mask

CONS: price, hard to open in the shower

After trying LUSH shampoo bars i was not impressed. So i was not very excited when they gave me a sample of BIG at the counter. However no lie the morning i decided to use the sample i went to LUSH and bought the full jar after my shower. BIG is a shampoo from Lush. It was $22.95 for 11.6oz. its suppose to give limp hair the volume it deserves with seaweed infusion to soften hair and citrus juices for shine. Its a unique consistency from any shampoo i have every used. Its like watered down jello with small and large chunks of salt. IT SMELLS AMAZING like citrus-y lime and a side of sweetness. Salt is full of minerals which maintain the moisture balance of your skin. Fresh lime Juice delivers instant shine and leaves your hair feeling extra clean. I think the shampoo lives up to what LUSH claims. It does not give me a afro but my hair feels clean and has body afterwards. Even though this shampoo is pricey in my opinion it can be used in different ways. You can always use it as a body scrub, which i have and its great! THe lady at the store told me she used it to scrub her bathtub and it works great! The entire bathroom will have the BIG smell and it cleans with not much effort because of the salt. Lastly the packaging it very cute. Its a hard black plastic jar. If you care of course LUSH has the person who made its face stuck on the side. The best thing is you can exchange 5 jars for a FRESH FACE MASK FOR FREE! This includes shower jelly jars and more. This will help the sting of the high price tag. I only gave packagin a 4 because i sometimes find it difficult to open the jar in the shower when my hands are wet. All in all one of my favorite products from lush and at this time the 2nd most popular on the LUSH USA website. I am still waiting for the big perfume to come back...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2011 2:00:00 PM More reviews by kmikula

I requested a sample before buying this, and I'm really glad I did! I'd definitely suggest that you do too, because it's really expensive to buy without knowing how it works!

I wasn't impressed. My hair is thin so it should be easy to give it volume, but somehow this didn't do the trick. I liked the salt crystals, and I loved the smell, but it definitely didn't do what it claimed.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by ajn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love the smell of this product! My mom bought it for me a couple years ago, and I've been using it on/off whenever I come home from college, and the smell is by far my favorite thing about it. It does a good job cleaning my hair. When I first bought it I used LUSH Veganese conditioner, but my hair was oily and gross after a couple days of that combination so I stopped using the conditioner and now use whatever I have in my house. A little goes a long way - I never take it with me since it looks like it is almost gone, but there's a lot more in the tub than I expected! I don't really notice a difference in my hair volume, but I don't really care - I want a shampoo that leaves my hair clean not volumized. I wouldn't buy again just because it is expensive, but I will miss using it

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2011 5:47:00 PM More reviews by SavvyShopper3

Pros: Volume-adding, deep cleaning, shine

Cons: Sea salt fall-out, time consuming to use

I finally found a deep cleaning shampoo!!

I have been on a search for a shampoo that truly gives me lots of volume. I do have fairly thick hair to begin with but I flat iron my hair regularly and want the volume to last me more than a day. I have tried Big Sexy Hair shampoo and conditioner in the past and saw no additional body or volume after using it.

I always used to leave the shower with this feeling that there is still residue in my hair that shampoos do not completely get out. Big was the first shampoo that left my hair squeaky (and still shiny!!).

The smell of this shampoo is a little hard for me to describe because I can't think of anything specific to compare it to. It has a clean, very crisp, slightly citrusy smell. The fragrance lingers in my hair only while it is wet. I have a habit of asking my husband what my hair smells like after use any new hair product and his response when I have washed with Big is always "it just smells really... clean" - so I guess that about sums it up!

I like to use about a half teaspoon-sized chunk of this shampoo, work it in really well in the front of my scalp and temples and then a little more (1/2 tsp again or less) to work into the back and crown of my scalp. I have to point out that I am probably using more than needed because, one, I have long hair and two, I am very ambitious about getting as much volume as possible when I use this shampoo!

Although Big aims to do most of its cleansing with sea salt and lime juice, it does have some surfactant content - sodium laureth sulfate - so it will lather up to an extent. It is essential to scoop up a well balanced combination of the chunky sea salt and liquid product as the liquid content is what will give you the lather. After I have worked the product into my hair really well with the water off, I slowly splash water into my coated hair to work up a nice lather. After some initial trial and error, I find that this process works the best to take full advantage of this wonderful shampoo. But like I mentioned in my cons, it can be more time consuming than your average shampoo!

The only thing that I don't like about the shampoo is the that some of the salt tends to fall out before I have a chance to work it in. And the fact that is a time consuming process. But this should NOT be used as a daily shampoo! Depending on how oily your hair gets I would recommend using it once or twice (for extra oily hair) a week. If you find that it is drying your hair out, I would even cut it down to once every two weeks - just to deep cleanse your hair and get rid of any product build-up (even if you don't use styling products, your regular daily shampoo & conditioner is probably leaving build-up to some degree!)

I normally use Big on the days I know I will be blow drying or flat-ironing my hair because it gives my hair loads of volume and shine. And my straightened hair stays looking fresh and clean for a lot longer!

I would absolutely recommend this shampoo to anyone looking to add volume, deep clean and make their hair last longer between shampoos. It is great if you are finding that your hair tends to start looking flat after straightening.

If your hair is already dry to begin with, this is probably not the right product for you.

The Bottom Line:
I personally LOVE it but it might not be the best shampoo for people with dry hair

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 2:56:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I asked for a sample in lush. After reading really great reviews i thought-wow its great. I have long to hips hair and I expect especially smoothing and making easier to brush them effect... But actually for me its not that amazing. I dont like the salt pieces in my hair, it does clean my hair has nice scent but nothing more. Doesnt make my hair smooth or shiny. And it feels like... more matte texture? Difficult to explain. I dont like it but its not the worst one.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/6/2011 4:35:00 PM More reviews by bondgirl8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I requested a sample of this before dropping $23 on something I wasn't sure I would like. Price is a little hefty, but as other reviewers have said, a little does go a long way, so over time, I'm sure price would be comparable to buying higher quality drugstore shampoos. I have medium/thick almost waist length hair, so my sample lasted only one shampoo. That being said, I think I have enough of an idea to rate. This shampoo was, in my opinion, definitely fun to use :) Gritty salt crystals as a shampoo? Strange, but entertaining. Who would have thought? The SA showed me that the best way to use this was to take some in your hands, rub them together, and then massage into the scalp, using a lot of water. The more water you use, the more lather you get. And boy, do you get a lot! I was very impressed that a sea salt "scrub" was able to produce so.many.suds. Wow. Anyways, suds...great. Other aspects of the product...just ok. My hair definitely doesn't feel any "bigger" than normal, but with the amount of hair that I have, getting body at the roots with just shampoo would be quite a feat. I actually enjoyed the smell of this stuff; in the jar, smells kind of nasty, but leaves a faint, clean smell behind. I suppose my scalp feels clean from the exfoliating properties of the gritty salt, but I don't know if it's any cleaner than normal? I don't wash my hair everyday, so we'll have to see what it looks like tomorrow, but so far, my hair looks and feels like it always does. It's no softer, shinier, or bouncier than with any other shampoo I've used. If this can curb the look of "second day hair", it may be a winner, but only time will tell. Will update :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by Makeuplvr111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This had a lot of lather and was easy to use. Not at all as difficult as I have read by other reviewers. My hair felt very clean. However, I did not realize this is not for color treated or highlighted hair. It does make your hair feel dry to as you are using it, mostly from the particles I am sure. It smells okay, kinda like your grandma's laundry detergent. I did not use this after about 6 uses once learning that it could harm my highlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2011 4:33:00 PM More reviews by twestla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just bought this today....couldn't wait to try it this afternoon! So, as everyone has said on this site so far...it's WEIRD. That being said, although the scent and texture is unusual, I love it!! For me, the smell is fresh and light. I used the smallest about, and my hair is shoulder length, and it lathered really well. My hair had a lot of product build up, so I shampood twice. Once you rinse your hair it feels squeaky clean, and almost tangled. The SA from Lush warned me about this, and told me not to be discouraged. It was just because there are no silicones in their product. I followed with Lush's Retread Conditioner (also just bought today) And the Lush leave-in treatment for heat styling: R&B. My hairs is bouncy, light, smells fantastic, and I dont have a drop of hair spray or product. It's amazing. Both my son & my husband said my hair smells great too! I will definitely be re-purchasing!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2011 11:22:00 PM More reviews by jezebeljunk

I really love Lush's BIG shampoo. I do feel that, similarly to any Lush product, if you like all natural products you are far more likely to like the texture and smell of this product than if you are into mainstream hair products.

This lovely shampoo has large sea salt chunks in it, which I feel are the main feature of the product. I find Big particularly useful if my hair hasn't been washed in 3-4 days - it completely removes any greasiness. I don't know that I would use it on a daily basis. However, once a week is just perfect for me. It keeps the product special that way and thus I'm always exicted about the texture of the product and the results it provides. It makes my hair very soft and silky.

I do feel that the scent of the product is pretty strong. They could go a bit lighter on the essential oils and fragrance. The packaging is a little annoying because shower water often accumulates in my tub of it as I only have shower floor space in which to set the tub as I am spooning the product into my hand. However, I'm not really sure in what other way this product could be packaged.

I feel quite strongly that if you aren't into natural products then you really shouldn't spend your money on Lush items because you are going to be disappointed. You gotta be into essential oils and non-traditional textures to appreciate a Lush shampoo. Big is like $30, only comes in one size, and they don't sample it. However, if you dig all natural and handmade products, then this shampoo is the bee's knees and I highly recommend trying it for its innovation, creative texture, and excellent results.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No