September 23, 2014 | 924 users online

Liquid - Estee Lauder - Double Wear [old formula - REFORMULATED]

REFORUMULATED 2012 Please see http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=159975/Double-Wear-Stay-in-place-Makeup/Estee-Lauder/Liquid for the current formulation of this product

rated 3 of 5 on 12/22/2012 9:28:00 AM More reviews by Astrida5

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this foundation but I'm not absolutely loving it. It gives a good coverage but It's too much for on a daily basis. I prefer wearing this foundation for a night out. It also seems like it shows my pores on my nose more. Like I said I have mixed feelings about it. But when you have a combination to oily skin and you want a good coverage with a matte finish this foundation is good for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2012 1:37:00 AM More reviews by liza33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is the best foundation I have ever use. Leaves my skin looking flawless. I have received many compliments about it when I wear it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 8:32:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been wearing Ecru 16 1N1 for the longest time thinking it was the best match for my pale NC15ish skintone. I thought I was more neutral, but it turns out that I needed more yellow to match seamlessly. I found this out when on a whim when I tried Estee Lauder Double Wear in Bone 17 1W1 (liquid foundation). And since I mentioned the shade, in comparison to MAC NC15 liquid foundation, I would say that Bone 17 1W1 is pretty close -except that it's a hair darker with more yellow...which is perfect for me!!

Oh, and if you have ever tried Make Up For Ever HD foundation in Marble #117, but found that it did not provide as much coverage as you liked, you will LOVE Bone 17 1W1. If you are worried that it will be too mask like/dry, try Clinique DDML all over, then follow that with a small amount of MAC Strobe Cream (start with a small amount till you figure out what works for you), before applying the foundation. Also, I might add that this is more than sufficient during the dryer winter months, but I do like to top the lotion I referenced with Bare Escentuals barevitamins Prime Time foundation primer (original) before applying the Strobe Cream during the hot humid summer months here in Florida. (Oh, I found avoiding the eye area with the strobe cream works best, as long as it does not get too close to the rim of the eye).

For under eye concealer, I use Estee Lauder DW Concealer 01 Light. Then, after I apply the foundation section by section -dabbing in a stippling manner with clean fingers, I pat a small amount of foundation OVER the concealer (will not undue it). I pat as necessary under/over the eye to remove any excess that would settle into fine lines, then immediately pat a light amount of Maybelline Dream Matte pressed powder in Light 4-5 to set my under eyes. This keeps the concealer ect perfect for at least 12 hours. Works every time!!

I hope that this extra info has helped someone, as finding my perfect makeup combos has been a long process for me from trial and error and lots of $$. (Oh for skin reference, I used to be extremely oily all over. But my skin started changing with age, and is now more normal/combo with only some slightly oily areas.)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/19/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by kheyme03

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great foundation. This was actually my first department store foundation purchase in a very long time and I have to say it was really worth it. It goes on really smooth and buffs out well. I go between this and Kat Von D lock it. I really like the finish and they both last all day. The color range in EL DW is also a plus.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2012 9:44:00 AM More reviews by sampam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great matte foundation:-) super coverage, never broken me out. have been using this on and off for 2 years.
    Highly recommend this foundation for anyone with oily skin, be careful if you have dry skin, it may look too matte and made up.

Overall rating: VERY good.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by B1P14

Seriously LOVE this foundation. Because i'm acne prone and still have light scarring on my jawline, this foundation has been a god send for me! It covers up everything! And although it is very heavy makeup, if applied the correct way it can still look natural. Firstly, as this foundation is thick, it can look very cakey if you're not careful, so in order to avoid this it is VITAL to apply a primer or moisturizer beforehand. Then I use the Estee Lauder Foundation Brush and take a tiny bit of foundation ( a little goes a LONG way, trust me) and work it into my skin. Finally I use a stippling brush to buff the foundation into the skin and give a more natural and airbrush finish. I find that doing this really makes your makeup appear flawless as opposed to cakey while also covering blemishes. If you are like me and have been troubled with blemishes and even acne, then you will understand how difficult it is to find a foundation that actually covers unslightly things such as acne breakouts. Many drug store foundations and even brands such as MAC, claim to be ''heavy coverage'' yet blemishes are still really visable. Not with this.. this really does cover and hide things you wish to be covered.

I wouldn't recommend this foundation for anyone with clear skin, this is simply way too heavy and may even make you break out. This foundation should only really be used if you have problematic skin and want to cover blemish scars or existing blemishes.. For that it is PERFECT.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Georgia955

Such a good foundation. Lovely consistency, great staying power and fantastic coverage. Only con is it can look a bit too powdery/cakey if too much is applied. I love the new formula also, i find i get allot more coverage and i use allot less than what i did with the old formula. Would definatly recommend this foundation for someone who likes a full coverage and a matte finish.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 5:07:00 AM More reviews by nwild

Before this foundation I was a supermarket foundation kind of girl. I got fed up with foundations sliding off my face and changing colour during the day and ended up at the David Jones counter seeking advice. This was suggested and since then I'm onto my third bottle. My favourite thing about this foundation is it's lasting power. I'm a school teacher and can get pretty tired and sweaty by the end of the day. I find I can put this on at 7am, touch up my nose and forehead with powder at lunch and still look fresh late that night.
    The foundation has a fairly matte finish, without ever looking powdery. The lady at David Jones told me to apply the foundation just before my moisturiser fully soaked in. This gives you more time to play and apply it on your face as once it's set it's set. I also find that by using extra moisturiser I can getting a sheerer, more luminous look, where if I use less, or let it dry all the way, I can achieve a more matte look.
    I can see that some may struggle with the bottle, as it doesn't have a pump, but I actually feel this means you waste less product. I apply it with my fingers, just tipping the bottle upside down onto my pointer finger. I keep baby wipes on my dressing table to then easily clean my hands. While fairly expensive, $60 in Australia, one bottle lasts me almost a year, and that's wearing it everyday.
    This is an extremely hard working foundation that I recommend fully.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/17/2012 1:41:00 AM More reviews by ldiaz2012

I looooove this!!! After reading all of the GREAT reviews this product has gotten I decided to purchase it.

The things I like: its medium to full coverage, buildable, hides imperfections well (blemishes,
    acne scars), provides a smooth foundation base and it has no smell.

I am still having trouble finding the right method to apply this foundation. Because it does dry quick, I would not recommend using a stippling brush. I've been using my fingers and so far this has given me the most clean and natural finish. It is a tad bit pricey at $36.00 but well worth it. I use MAC NC35 and use DW Tawny.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2012 12:43:00 AM More reviews by nygrlnca

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So far I am loving all the new shades...i used to use double matte a million years ago but all the colours were pink based...but so was everything at the time. It covers and smooths out all my acne marks without looking like a mask but it does seem to look a little white in pics. I like that it holds up against my super oily skin and the color match is pretty close to skin tone.I haven't broken out from it yet but will update soon. The packaging is ok but needs a pump...I'm glad I still had my MAC one because it fits...you just have to cut the tube a little to fit in the EL bottle.
    Edit: It looks so fake on my skin...like a mask! I have tried changing shades and different applications and I can't get it to look even remotely natural... I really wished it could work for me:(