Chanel Bois des Iles

4.1

on 1/22/2005 6:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

An unseasonably warm spring afternoon sun beams through an open window, heating the surface of a heavy wooden trunk; we bring out the linens for airing and gently shake soft muslin flower sachets from within their folds.

A comfortable, mellow, and pleasing parfum, more “great marriage” than “hot sex.”
continued >>

on 1/8/2005 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This is a beautiful woody-floral fragrance. On me it starts out more floral, but dries down, becoming a gorgeous sandalwood scent. I’ve received lots of compliments wearing this perfume. I used to wear Coco, but I think that Bois des Iles is my new favorite fragrance.

on 12/10/2004 8:02:00 PM

Coming in so late in the game, I feel anything I can add is redundant. Just let me say that I've been shopping sandalwoods for a while now. I have even sniffed the legendary Tam Dao. But I laid down money for Bois de Iles. Heavenly!

on 11/24/2004 3:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

This is a lovely, seductively mysterious scent. Woody, rich depths, simply marvelous and very, very stylish. On me it smells like extremely overripe fruit - at the time when it is buzzing with fruitflies, just before it starts to rot. Not a scent for me, but I have the good fortune to befriend charming ladies who wear this exceptionally well, so I can sniff to my heart's content!

on 11/23/2004 11:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I'm having a hard time finding words to describe this fragrance -I just know that it is by far one of the most beautiful and outstanding scents I've ever smelled. It's exciting, daring, provocative, and confident. The aldehydes in Bois des Iles seem to be present mostly in the drydown, and they're not powdery as much as they are warm. I smell lots of balsam, and definite fresh sandalwood, and green, dewy leaves. I think this is my favorite fragrance of all time. It just seems to fit me, and it makes me feel utterly fabulous! I feel like I've always been searching for it...and I've finally found it. Oh - I'm so in love!

on 11/7/2004 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

My mother had been complaining about not being able to get this for my entire life, and I finally got it for her when they re-released it. I don't regret it.

Now I steal a stealth-spritz every time I visit her and curse that I didn't get some for myself. It's a gorgeous and sophisticated scent, not overpowering. Very sexy. Faint powdery undertones with voluptuous florals and exotic woods.

on 6/28/2004 9:27:00 PM

I hate to give this well-beloved perfume a less-than stellar review, but I really must. As I feared, all Chanels, especially older ones with aldehydes, turn to pure flowery soap on me. Granted this is more like woody flowery soap, but soapy nonetheless. I so looked forward to trying this scent, and tried I did. I tried it on in the morning, tried it in the evening, tried it right after a shower, tried it right before bed, all leading to the same soapy results. However, I can see how this would be delightful on someone with the right chemistry for Chanel, Coco Chanel perhaps, or Catherine Deneuve, just not lilacterp. It is a woody composition of a slightly soapy vanilla adelhyde mixture that just disappears soon after application. Would love to smell this on people, but not on myself. EDIT: I tried the parfum version, and that one is divine, much more well rounded and less adelhydic. Smoother, more wearable scent. I like it now.

on 6/23/2004 1:34:00 AM

Oh, no, no. Too sweet, too rich, overwhelming musk, heavy. Probably b/c of aldehydes. Not in my style. Yuck! I did not find any nice Chanel yet.

on 5/7/2004 11:59:00 AM

I don't like the EDT in this - very strong and spicy, more masculine. Parfum is more feminine. Kind of like Coco pumped up. Very spicy, sandlewood, and sweet.

on 5/1/2004 9:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This review is for the parfum, and I feel so blessed that I was able to actually count this amongst my collection. It is the single most exquisite parfum I have ever encountered... it's personality is so large, when I first applied, I wondered had I made a mistake in thinking I was woman enough to wear it? Bold and floral, the Iris and Rose enveloped me quickly, the pupils of my eyes dilated in terror... this scent was too large for my meager experience! And then... fifteen minutes into it the transition began to unfold. I reeled through magical moments of tonka and amber, sweetened and warm. A lovely woody warmth, slightly green and slightly powdered (reminded me a bit of the powdered woods of Eclix) clung close to my skin, but the sweet lull of that gingerbread promise rose like an ethereal embrace around me. Six hours later, I am left with a clean, warm sandalwood and green, true vetiver. It has been a glorious journey.

Popular Fragrances