MAC #219 Pencil Brush

4.6

on 7/11/2010 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

This is a great brush! I use it for a plethera of purposes! It is brilliant at applying color in outer v and crease, but also for getting under the lower lashes and smudging liner or other darker colors! I love this brush and there is not a day that I dont use this puppy! It is my MVP!

on 7/7/2010 8:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

For the longest time, I wondered why the heck I couldn't get a nice even and accurate 'crease' or 'outer v' shape with my eyeshadow. It used to annoy me to no end. Thank goodness I gave this brush a try, it's truly amazing for defining the crease perfectly. Before I used this I also had trouble getting a consistent amount of shadow and so one eye was always darker than the other and it never looked well blended. I'm pretty critical when it comes to the way I make myself up, but the first time I tried this (with MAC Coquette) I was thrilled. It may seem pricey when you compare to drugstore brands etc. but a good brush should last decades and it's worth the splurge.

on 6/26/2010 4:15:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

This is one of my most used brushes. I use it mainly for the inner corner, outer V and to smudge my eyeliner and eyeshadow under my eye.

on 6/25/2010 3:42:00 AM

A real workhorse in my brush collection. It works to deposit outer lid color on my small-ish eyes. It also does a great job applying highlight color in the inner corners. But most of all, the 219 smudges eyeliner really well when you want to do a smoky eye. The brush is a little too stiff to work in the crease for me, though. Even with repeated washing, there's no shedding. The brush retains its shape fairly well. Looking forward to getting a second one in the future.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I purchased the 219 sight-unseen, knowing it was probably meant for smudging but expecting to use it in my crease anyway. However, as several other reviewers have mentioned, this brush is far too small/narrow to apply color to the crease effectively, no matter how small your think your eyes are.

That said, I still like this brush and instead use it for finishing touches -- smudging, highlighting the corners of my eyes, and deepening my crease.

My biggest fear was that the 219 would eventually splay and lose its shape, but after many washings, it's still as stiff and pokey as before, which I suppose is a testament to the quality of MAC brushes.

If you're unsure about this brush, I'd highly recommend checking it out in person as it's not as versatile as other brushes can be. But I myself have a use for the 219 and consider it a staple in my daily makeup routine.

on 5/16/2010 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Great brush! I've been thinking about getting a pencil brush for as long as I've been collecting brushes. I use this under my waterline, in my corner tear duct, and if i want a precise definition for my (eyelid) crease. It's well worth your money.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

So I have been wanting a pencil brush and I finally gave into MAC. I got one of the SE brushes since I found that it was cheaper. When I got it I was supeeer excited. It applies eyeshadow to the bottom lashes really perfectly and I love how it helps smoke it out really well.

Another thing I use it for is to apply eyeshadow in my inner corners and to apply precise eyeshadow on my outter corner or to even set my eyeliner.

I loove this brush!

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This brush was just ok for me, I don't think it's anything special. I agree with the person below that said it is a bit pokey, so I mainly use it for applying eyeshadow on my lower lash line or smuding my eyeliner. I wouldn't re-purchase it.

on 5/3/2010 1:18:00 PM

Quality brush! I use this almost everyday and wash it three-four times a week and is always as good as new.
It's great for the outer V and you can really do a lot with this brush! Buy it!

Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm

love love love it! would buy it again if I lost it or something but I'm pretty sure this will last a long time.. my mac 239, 217, 219 and 242 are my staples! you can't paint a house without the right tools!!

Popular Makeup Brushes