July 31, 2014 | 1838 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Shine Free Pressed Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 4/8/2007 1:36:00 PM More reviews by ntntnt

I wanted to give a different powder a try. I've been using cover girl trublend for the longest time and since this stuff costs less and you get a little more i decided to give it a try. Today was the first day using it and I hated it. It didn't cover very well, went on really chalky, and made dry spots on my face even worse. I think I'll go back to TruBlend pressed powder.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2007 11:40:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

This is decent for the price. As with all powders, it looks better when applied with a brush, rather than the sponge applicator it comes with, and this is the downfall of the cheaper powders. My HG is Revlon Age defying which comes with it's own brush making touch ups during the day a breeze.

If I was organized enough to have a good quality brush always in my purse or in a desk drawer at work, I might use Maybelline in summer, but only on it's own, not over foundation. I found that when worn over foundation, it was difficult to reapply during the day if I got oily or sweaty. Then it tended to cake and mix with the foundation, making it impossible to blot and reapply without going grotty.

None the less, this is a good product for someone with oily skin who wants to get rid of the shine without needing to cover up too many blemishes with foundation.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2007 5:33:00 PM More reviews by aileen06

this product "claims" to control oil, but it fails miserably. initially when I first tried it on, it gave a great sheer finish, not cakey or powdery at all. but it does nothing to control oil, i actually think it made my face more oily, what a waste of money. don't even waste your money on this crap

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2007 10:08:00 PM More reviews by ben228

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is one of the few products out there light enough for my PPP skin and not too pink! Get it if you have PPP skin and a yellow undertone. You'll like it :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2006 1:17:00 PM More reviews by stacialue0330

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

DESCRIPTION OF ME: Caucasian PPP (Lancome Color ID I-10 C, Teinte Idole Ivoire 2 C) with normal skin to slightly oily skin.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: A light pressed powder for shine/oil/breakout control.

PACKAGE: The packaging is cheap, for sure, but as long as you donít drop it youíll be fine. Itís a simple dark blue color, so it doesnít attract too much attention. The powder puff included is your run-of-the-mill puff, which is fine for this product. The best thing I like about this compact is that I havenít had one come open on me accidentally yet.

CONSISTENCY/TEXTURE: Medium to fine texture, depending on how you apply it.

APPLICATION: Using the puff, I lightly dusted my entire face. The powder can go on pretty thick if youíre not careful, so watch out.

SMELL: No smell detected.

STAYING POWER: Iíd say this stuff is pretty darn resilient. I still get a bit of shine later on in the day, but the amount of repowdering is kept to a minimum.

NATURAL/COLOR?: I used the Ivory, and on my complexion it wasnít noticeable at all. I just looked put together and natural.

SUNSCREEN: None.

IRRITATION/BREAKOUTS: Iíve been using this powder since late August, and so far my face seems to be tolerating it wellóas far as breakouts are concerned. However, the drying agents in the formula will irritate your skin and dry it out even further if you donít moisturize like crazy before applying.

OVERALL: A good powder, and so far, my HG until something else turns my head. My only complaint is that it seems to run out rather quickly, but being only $5 a compact it doesnít hurt too much to go pick up a new one. EDIT: I have been using this particular powder for some years now, seeing as it's worked well enough that I haven't felt the need to find anything else better. My complaints now are the same as the ones I reported when I first reviewed, however I am going to put more emphasis on the speed with which this product runs out. Seriously, it seems as if I'm buying a new compact once every two weeks!! Also, sometimes it seems as if the consistency varies a bit from compact to compact. Still, it hasn't left me with any serious skin issues, so I'll continue to repurchase.

Thanks to Seclusae2 for the layout!
continued >>

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2006 8:45:00 AM More reviews by mmariecrys

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am surprisingly impressed with this powder. It is cheap, yet high-performing. It glides on smoothly and instantly blots away shine. But not only that-it conceals with a very sheer color, and even brightens my complexion. The tan/caramel shade has very fine gold flecks that must provide the soft glow. I wear this on my well moisturized, bare skin (combo/dry)-and it looks like my skin but much, much better-so clear and healthy. I was afraid of breakouts, but this does not irritate my skin at all. I prefer this on bare skin, it looks more dry directly on top of Clinique Perfectly Real compact, (but it does excellently touch it up later in the day). You canít detect the color on you skin, your face just looks more even-toned and clear. It does not pick up dullness, dryness, patches or lines. It controls shine very well, and only my nose breaks through past mid-day, which is quickly remedied by blotting. What a steal. EDIT: my first compact broke up after a few months, and my second after only 2 weeks. Plus they discontinued my shade-so won't be buying again. :(

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2006 7:16:00 AM More reviews by sweet_lil_angel

i thought it did an okay job for the first couple of day.. but i also relised that i didnt last long at ALL.. and when it was in my hangbag.. de powder broke apart..?? AND IT DIDNT EVEN STOP MY SHINE ON MY NOSE!!!! IT DIDNT LAST L0NG DATS 4 SURE.. DEF NOT BUYING THIS AGAIN

rated 1 of 5 on 7/16/2006 10:17:00 PM More reviews by MacEgyptchick

It's werid because I used this in the past, with no problems. But urg, I brought this again, and my skin broke out so bad. I have these huge, cyst pimples on my face, and my skin was still oily. Never, will I ever use this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/19/2006 4:29:00 PM More reviews by katarina124

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This powder does a great job controlling shine! I have very oily skin, especially during the warmer months of the year. I was looking for something to control my oily skin and came across this powder. It is far superior to many other more expensive brands. It contains great oil absorbing ingredients such as kaolin and silica. In addition it is oil-free which is quite unusual for a pressed powder. It is very finely milled and provides a natural finish and layers well without looking cakey, similar to that of BE mineral veil, but with great oil control and an unbeatable price. I got mine for $4.99 in Target. I have very fair skin so I use the lightest color (ivory), however it is very fair so unless you have extremely fair skin I'd advise to get the light beige.
The packaging is ok, it comes in a dark blue compact which has a mirror and fits easily into a purse.
Definitely my HG powder.EDIT:After using this for a couple of weeks I started having clogged pores and breakouts all over my face even in places I never had breakouts before. When I stopped using it the breakouts stopped. I will have to search for something else.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2006 11:33:00 AM More reviews by anthrochic

i have tried a lot of powders, cause i don't like foundation, and this one is the best one up to date (2006 March). it gets rid of shine, and doesn't look too powdery, in fact it is pretty much invisible. it comes in a little dark blue, square compact with a powder puff applicator (not a sponge).
you just have to apply once, and then i pat my face afterwards to remove any excess, but it feels smooth and clean and works for a while.
i wear Golden 05, and i found that their shades match skintones better than some other brands or powders, which can leave your face looking pink or sallow.