July 28, 2014 | 1780 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - Ultra Calming Cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2009 8:05:00 AM More reviews by fionaemily

This is a really good cleanser which I use morning and night. I just massage into my skin and rinse off in the shower. At night I use a seperate eye makeup remover before then rinse. If I've used heavy makeup I tone then moisturise. Prefer this to the special cleansing gel but both good.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2009 7:27:00 AM More reviews by xue88

i would repurchase this cleanser over and over again! i cannot even begin to recall how many bottles of this i have gone through. it may seem expensive, but considering the amount you get, especially for the biggest bottle, it's totally worth it. i use this in the morning on dry face and rinse it off with water. at times i also use ultracalming cleanser to cleanse my face at night when i have light makeup on (just loose powder). it doesnt foam up and some people might not be used to it, but its cleansing power is really good. it had also calmed my skin down alot when i was breaking out like crazy a few years back with red angry pimples. definately my HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 8:19:00 AM More reviews by littleliverbird

I gave up on Dermalogica cleansers ages ago after trying the awful dermal clay cleanser and breaking out in cystic acne. I have always loved the daily micro-foliant and multi-vitamain power mask though. Anyways, I was using Lancomes mousse clarte quite happily until recenty I broke out in a horrid allergic reaction on my face and hands. Everytime I used my mousse clarte, my skin would break out in red blotches and would go really dry and sore. My beautician suggested this cleanser and I was sceptical at first due to the dermal clay nightmare-the last thing I wanted to do was add to my skin problems. Anyway, she gave me some samples and I tried them. I LOVE it! I remove my make up with Johnsons baby wipes, then use this to wash my face with. Within days the redness had gone and my skin was smooth and clear again. I love how gentle this is and how it does not make my skin feel tight after washing. My skin feels clean and soft after washing. I have bought the large size bottle of this now and think it's gonna be a keeper!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/27/2008 5:32:00 PM More reviews by LadyNM

I started using this cleanser about a month ago and I am in love with the way that my skin looks and feels. I have combo skin that is sensitive and this really helps to keep my skin calm. I've also noticed that I am breaking out less which is an added bonus.
I use this cleanser in conjunction with the Pre Cleanse and followed by the multi-active toner and the skin smoothing cream.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2008 4:22:00 PM More reviews by danilovescats

I don't usually write reviews, but I found these products by reading other people's so thought it only fair to write my experience.

My skin is usually very good if a little dry and occasionally slightly uneven in colour (red near my jawline) but that's it. The other month my skin totally broke out - all over - in uneven redness, raised bumps and what looked like bright red spots (but were not actually spots, I tried to burst them). I don't know caused it - products, make up, stress...

I read up on rosacea and products that deal with redness and I got the same response from all the websites I searched - Dermalogica. I had never heard of this brand before and no idea where to get it, it is not easily accessible in the UK. I bought the 3 products that seemed related to my problem that were mentioned on other people's reviews and I thought I would give them all a go.

I bought the Ultracalming cleanser 500ml, Sheer tint redness relief 40ml and Barrier repair 40ml and I got them all off ebay, as I couldn't find anywhere in the UK with ease. I use the cleanser twice a day (before I shower and then when I get home at night/before bed) and the other 2 products once a day before makeup in the morning (I continued to use the same make up).

I wasn't sure what order I should use the products in or if I should use them altogether because I didn't see anyone professionally about them - as it claims you should do on their website - but I used them all anyway and I have only genuinely seen positive effects.

I wasn't sure what brought out this change in my skin, but it looked horrible and I felt very self conscious. My skin is back to normal after 2 weeks of using the products every day - no bumps, minimal redness (only the same as before the breakout) and I bet it will reduce the redness even more. If I'm at home and I ever start to feel my skin getting sensitive or tight, I use the cleanser and barrier repair again.

I still have to use an additional moisturizer, as none of the products are overly moisurizing - great for very oily skin or skin that is not dry, if you have these skin types you probably wouldn't need to use an additional moisurizer at all.

The prices, to me, were reasonable. I have paid a lof more for products where I have seen little evidence of results. I like the simple packaging and the directions for use on the back of each is clear. It just doesn't seem possible to get info from anywhere about what products are best used together, maybe it doesn't matter. These 3 worked well for me...

Can't say the products will work for everyone, but the routine worked for me and I feel loads happier with my skin now.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2008 1:41:00 AM More reviews by plussize1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

always on the hunt for the perfect cleanser for my sensitive dry skin that suffers from eczema......this one is high on the list of favorites for sure! i use this in the evenings and it takes everything off usually in two tries. even my mascara comes off easily and i really coat those lashes .....for my morning routine i reach for my cetaphil cleanser...

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by unknownpleasures

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been trying to find a good gentle but effective cleanser for ages. I used to use cetaphil, which after a while gave me weird red dry patches on my face. This product in conjuction with the other dermalogica products I bought is amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2008 3:26:00 PM More reviews by deerylou1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've used many many cleansers in the past, and although this is not perfect, it is probably the best one i have found (so far!). I have oily, sensitive skin prone to breakouts. Im now on my 2nd bottle of this stuff and i have definately noticed a difference in my skins complexion. It is much clearer than it was. This cleanser is very good for sensitive skin, it isn;t harsh at all. Although a bit pricey, I would say its worth it and it does last a long time becuase you only need to use a little. I would recommend this cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2008 1:38:00 AM More reviews by Yukaeshi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I am Asian and have very temperamental skin- sometimes combination oily sometimes dry, mostly sensitive and living in a tropical, humid climate. I've tried many cleansers to help with my skin condition + occasional breakouts here and there, but none of them works as good as this! This is recommended to me by my Dermalogica consultant as my daily cleanser.

The texture is gel-cream-like in consistency, doesn't lather and a little actually goes a long way in cleansing (Despite feeling that too little is too little and too much is a bit too much). Smells pretty good to me too. I use it to cleanse the areas around my eyes too and it doesn't sting. I can see a noticeable difference in my skin texture after cleansing- less open pores and redness, blemishes more soothed and calmed, and my skin doesn't feel taut or dry after cleansing. It's also not too rich and hydrating either to the point that skin looks greasy after a wash. Skin is supple, soft and calmed.

It doesn't remove makeup however, unless you're using light makeup. Initial wastage can also occur if you're not careful, as controlling how much to dispense especially when it's new has proven quite tricky to me.

Overall this is definitely recommended to those with temperamental, sensitive skin, although an appointment with a Dermalogica consultant is better. Would definitely repurchase as its a part of my daily skincare regiment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2008 7:37:00 PM More reviews by rp1017

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I actually purchased another cleanser from Dermalogica however I had a phone consultation with a rep from the company and the consultant recommended Ultra Calming Cleanser since I am also using retinoids ........ since beginning retinoids I have had some products sting me (e.g. Cerave) however this cleanser does not and I noted that immediately since using this cleanser the redness on my face started clearing up ........ I use PreCleanse first and follow with Ultra Calming Cleanser and my face is clean and every stitch of makeup including heavy mascara is removed ..... this is a great gentle cleanser.