July 31, 2014 | 2195 users online

Foundations - The Body Shop - All-In-One Face Base

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2010 1:26:00 AM More reviews by JKra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really love The Body Shop's skincare line and really wanted to like their makeup. I am a "Love your Body" member and am loyal to many things there.

However, this foundation is nothing special. It's not horrible; it feels light, does not aggrivate my oiliness, and evens out my skin a little bit BUT (like some of the other reviewers said) that the foundation is a little chalky looking and the coverage is pretty sheer.

My mom and sister both commented on the "cute compact" but I don't like that either. :( I'm constantly fumbling with the little button on the inside to get to the sponge applicator.

I'll use it up but I won't buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2010 2:21:00 AM More reviews by MissRini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If I could give this 4.5, I would. It IS very good but not quite perfect. The shades are suitable for me as I'm VERY pale. I was amazed I can wear #2 as I'm always the lightest shade in any foundation. When you first apply it, it's a bit chalky but then it settles and looks really lovely. It's matte, but not too matte. I think it definitely controls oil too. It doesn't cause breakouts (not that I'm really very acne prone, but this def didn't give me any pimples) and it looks very natural like you're not wearing makeup and even minimizes lines!!. My only gripe is that it really doesn't give very much coverage and you need to wear concealer on any scars you might have. I found I could not build the coverage either which was disappointing. Still, it's only worth 1/2 a star off for this as it performs so well in every other way. In fact, my husband was looking at me oddly the other day and when I asked him why he said that I look "different". When I asked him to explain further, he said that I looked "good different, like you stumbled into good light or something". I'll take that as a compliment!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by lauraroxane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

WHAT I LOOK FOR IN FOUNDATION:
Because I have oily, problem skin (blemishes and scars), I wear foundation daily and prefer full coverage with a matte finish. I'm willing to pay more for great foundation.

PAST EXPERIENCES WITH FOUNDATION:
I've always preferred liquid foundations, but they often (a) cause visible dryness and flaking around any blemishes, making them more noticeable, (b) wear off or get streaky by lunchtime, and (c) are noticeable - you can tell I'm wearing make up. Powder foundations I've tried tend to look unnatural and don't cover fully or long enough (i.e., MAC's Studio Fix powder foundation, which covers well but doesn't last long and doesn't look natural on me. Also, Givency's Mattissime Absolute Matte Finish Powder Foundation, which looks natural but doesn't cover fully or last long enough.)

TRYING/BUYING EXPERIENCE:
While browsing in a Body Shop store at the Frankfurt Airport two years ago, I saw a display for their "All in One Face Base" - a powder foundation that comes in a mirrored compact with a round applicator (which sits in its own compartment in the compact). There are only six shades available - they go by numbers (1 being the lightest, 6 being the darkest). I'm fair skinned and purchased what I thought was my closest match - Shade 3.

That afternoon, I applied this base to my clean face with a damp applicator (the package says that dampening the applicator will create fuller coverage). Big mistake - this made the makeup go on in dark streaks. I washed it off, let the applicator dry, then tried again, this time applying it dry. What a difference! When applied dry, coverage is full, beautiful, smooth, and natural looking. What really struck me was that at the end of the day, the base was still on, still providing coverage, with no streaking, blotchy areas, or flaking/dry spots.

WHY I LOVE IT:
It's long-lasting, provides full coverage, and appears absolutely natural looking. This is the only foundation I've ever used that provides true full coverage while looking 100% natural. This is also the only matte, full coverage foundation that doesn't cause drying/flaking to blemishes and dry spots on my skin. Blends and applies beautifully. Does a great job toning down redness in my complexion.

SUBSEQUENT EXPERIENCES WITH THIS PRODUCT:
Since my initial use two years ago, I've been using this foundation daily. Though I'm fair skinned, Shade 3 was just a little too pale, so I now use Shade 4. Each compact comes with an applicator sponge and lasts 2 to 3 months (when using it the makeup once a day).

USAGE TIPS:
- Unfortunately, there are only six shades of All in One Face Base. If you're between shades, I recommend purchasing both the lighter and darker shade and swiping a little of both onto the applicator before applying. Yes, it's expensive, but the shade selection is limited, and I believe the quality and look of this foundation is worth buying both if you're between shades.

- Works great on bare skin (the way I wore it for first 8 or 9 months) but even better over Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer - the only foundation primer that works on my skin.

- Apply dry. Although the package directions recommend applying with a damp applicator for fuller coverage, I've found it covers more fully and beautifullly when applied dry. It streaks when applied wet.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2010 8:05:00 PM More reviews by lorac29

It's a decent powder. It has good coverage but if you don't moisturize well it will look really cakey and patchy. The biggest con about this is that is does not control oil. After a couple of hours my face looks oily and reapplication is necessary.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/24/2009 1:15:00 PM More reviews by darkashes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading some good reviews on this make-up, I decided to give it a try. I have a mild case of rosacea, some acne and my face gets extremely oily, so I was looking for a good foundation to help hide these flaws. While this powder did a good job controlling oil, it didn't have the coverage I was looking for. It would probably look great over a liquid foundation, but alone it wasn't enough.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2009 7:15:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

Pros- great coverage, is buildable, convenient. Great for days when you need to run out or don't feel like putting on a ton of m/u, doesn't break me out. I don't even need to use concealers with it. Cons - not a wide color selection. I can wear the deepest shade, but I think it needs to be darker. I'm not crazy about the bulky compact, it could be a lot slimmer. When I first put it on it looks unnaturally chalky or matte which I'm also not crazy about. I don't mind matte, but chalky, not so much. That could also be due to the color being a tad too light. I guess as it oxidizes with your skin, that kinda tones it down a little, but I don't want to wait for that to happen, I like immediate results. I don't know if I would get this again cause I feel it's too expensive and there are as many cons as there are pros. It's a shame though cause the coverage is great!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 4:15:00 PM More reviews by CoutureBunnie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Well after reading all the great comments on this product, I thought I'd give it a shot, so I stopped by my local Body Shop to see what the fuss was all about. The girl that greeted me didn't really seem to know much about make up all, nor did she seem to wear much make up herself, which was quite disappointing, but luckily I knew what I was looking for. I managed to find a shade that suited my skin tone quite well, which is very pale but very yellowy. I did notice that they didn't have much variety as far as shades go, and the darkest color wasn't very dark at all, so that's definetly something they should work on. It cost 20$ which is fairly reasonable. The packaging is very nice, and seems sturdy enough, and has a nice little mirror in it. The sponge which comes with it applies it well enough, but it probably would look better applied with a foundation brush. The coverage is great, and very buildable, which I love, I have a bit of redness on my nose and cheeks and it covers it very well. It goes on nice and doesn't feel cakey, I have oily skin so it balances it out nicely, and I don't have to touch up nearly as much. It has a very nice matte finish. I will definetly be re-purchasing this! I'd say if you can find the right shade, then you should absolutely give it a try!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2009 1:43:00 PM More reviews by meghanrose3

I've had this product (in 02) for about a week and a half now and I'm really liking it. I have combination skin with large pores on my nose and cheeks and this really does a great job at making them less noticeable. I find it also really works with controlling oil and I don't need to touch up as often as with a liquid foundation and powder.
I haven't tried this wet yet because it provides enough coverage for me "dry" with a bit of concealer.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by kalokairi

I bought this as a tandem with the Warm Sunset Blush Trio from the Precious Pearlescents collection, while I was in search of a good face powder. I never tried it wet since I just needed something for touch-ups. I liked the clip opening, it made me feel that the compact was more secure. I also liked how the sponge was of good quality and that it had a separate compartment from the powder itself, though for the most part I used a kabuki brush to apply it. Coverage was pretty good and so was oil control - basically, it had what I needed in a face powder.

My first gripe about it, however, was the smell. My nose just couldn't get used to it, though a minute or so after application I don't smell it anymore. I thought my item might have been a defect or something until I read some reviews here on MUA that mentioned the smell as well. In the two-month period that I was using it, I noticed that the side had started to crack, and in the end the rest of the powder cracked as well. I have crushed the rest & transferred them into a container with sifter, so it's now a bit more hassling to use but still fine. I wish that TBS would have refills though, or some recycling program so that the compact could be re-used. I'm now in search of a compact refill from a different brand that could fit it, just so I could use it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by sunshinelaur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a good foundation for a long time! My skin gets oily a few hours after I apply my makeup, so my foundation usually starts to fade and expose any concealed blemishes or flaws right away. I've tried CARGO cream foundation, BM mineral makeup, and L'Oreal true match foundation among others. So suprised that the Body Shop (who knew?) would made a foundation I'd be crazy about. THIS PRODUCT CONTROLS OIL! Egads! It doesn't dry you out, and gives you a flawless matte finish. I reapply late in the afternoon for the second half of the day with my kabuki, and it's all good. It gives medium coverage, so you have to conceal dark circles and blemishes in addition to using this.

The packaging is classy looking with a neat separator between the sponge applicator and the powder, which minimizes mess.

Been using this foundation the Body Shop luminizing tint and their pencil concealer and lightening touch concealer (undereyes), and have the nicest looking complexion I can remember. The 3 products for $30 promo for Black Friday really made these products a steal! Would still pay full price when I run out. The Body Shop makeup line is high quality and made in Germany, which is reassuring with all the claims about cosmetics made in China these days. Go into the Body Shop and let a SA help you try out some of their face products. You'll be pleasantly surprised!