December 20, 2014 | 1118 users online

Foundations - The Body Shop - All-In-One Face Base

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by VickyS169318

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

i bought this foundation as i was hoping it would look more natural than liquid foundation and remove the need for concealer, foundation and powder as it is an all in one product.
I purchased this in the lightest shade 002 which looks very yellow in the compact which did put me off a little bit but i bought it anyway because there was 20% off at the time.
At first i really liked this product. I used it for a week and the coverage is really natural looking and buildable and it wasnt really yellow on my face like it looked in the compact. The only problem was that one some days it just didnt look right, even though i applied it the same, it wouldnt cover properly or go patchy, my face also got oily pretty quickly. Another big downside is that i only had it less than a week and i could already see the silver pan showing, so as this is a foundation product you do not get a lot for your money if you will be using this everyday (it costs £12). I also had to stop using this as it gave me spots which no other makeup product has ever done.
The only plus side of this foundation is that it looks natural, is easy to use and the packaging is nice and sturdy with a built in mirror and sponge.
P.S. there are only six shades to choose from and neither are really pale or dark, they only cater for light-medium skin tones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2010 1:47:00 AM More reviews by walver

I tried so many brands before, but this is the best, really match my skin,and never oxidize. coverage is okay, and make my face looks fresh and healthy. it also doesn't break my skin. I love this stuff !

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2010 3:25:00 PM More reviews by xicaxeca

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Hazel

My sister made me switch (used to use other brands) to Body Shop cosmetics because they don't test their products on animals. This powder is one of the best I've ever tried. It can be used either as powder or make up which is pretty cool, it covers imperfections well and still makes your skin look natural. I use it in combination with the Body Shop Flawless skin concealer. Great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 7:27:00 AM More reviews by cem

I used to use liquid foundations because I was convinced they looked more natural than powder foundations. Plus, I needed pretty heavy coverage, which is easily achievable with liquid foundations.
Anyway, I started accutane and my skin improved a lot. So I decided to give this powder foundation a try. I'm so happy I did! The coverage is sheer-medium, but you can use a concealer under the foundation if necessary. It really evens out my skin tone and covers up any redness. It photographs really beautifully and lasts all day long. Also the application is so easy and fast compared to my liquid foundations!.
As others have stated it's really important to exfoliate and moisturize with this one!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2010 8:17:00 AM More reviews by Timkerbelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am torn with this product. I absolutely love some aspects of it, but am unhappy with others.

On the plus side:
- I have very fair skin, but its more neutral/yellow than pink, and almost all fair skin products are too pink for me. Not this one. The colour match is amazing with the 002.

- The coverage is very good without being cakey. I have quite big pores around my nose, and this foundation evens them out nicely. You can actually apply quite a thick layer of the foundation without it looking cakey.

And the negatives (that have me keep searching for that HG foundation):
- It doesn't last well. I am not particularly oily, but the staying power of the foundation isn't great. I do need to reapply during the day.

- I don't like the packaging. I first bought this product in the mid 90's and I preferred the packaging how it was then, with a longer box and the sponge on the side, with little holes for drying it if you used it wet. The compact now looks a bit tacky, and it's fiddly to get the sponge out. As the sponge is meant to be used either wet or dry, there should be ventilation to dry it after you wash it IMO.

- It settles on any dry patches you have. Exfoliating and moisturising is very important when using this foundation (but then again it is for any product I suppose)

- You don't get very much product in the package. It's not a terribly expensive foundation, but not super cheap either, and it does run out a bit too quickly IMO.

In spite of all the negatives I will keep buying this, as the positives outweigh the negatives

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2010 6:58:00 PM More reviews by GooMavs

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Absolutely love this foundation. I wore liquid foundation pretty much since I starting experimenting with makeup (mainly CG clean, Revlon CS & PF) and I never felt it looked natural. Two months ago I got really fed up with all the blocked pores that kept popping up around my chin and forehead and decided I would try something other than liquid foundation. I tried BE matte, but I didn't care for that too much. I stumbled across reviews for All in one face base and ran out to get it. I'll never look back! The color selection is geared more towards those with lighter skin tones. I'm usually the lighest shade (ivory) in foundation, but for this foundation I'm a perfect 03. It definitely looks best applied dry. I use MUFE green base, then apply this with a sponge, apply concealor on any blemishes, then use a fluffy brush to apply a bit more foundation. Viola! Beautiful skin and lots of compliments. Love that this stuff doesn't dry out my skin, cause more blemishes, or accent any flakies I might have. Highly rec'd!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2010 1:26:00 AM More reviews by JKra

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really love The Body Shop's skincare line and really wanted to like their makeup. I am a "Love your Body" member and am loyal to many things there.

However, this foundation is nothing special. It's not horrible; it feels light, does not aggrivate my oiliness, and evens out my skin a little bit BUT (like some of the other reviewers said) that the foundation is a little chalky looking and the coverage is pretty sheer.

My mom and sister both commented on the "cute compact" but I don't like that either. :( I'm constantly fumbling with the little button on the inside to get to the sponge applicator.

I'll use it up but I won't buy it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2010 2:21:00 AM More reviews by MissRini

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If I could give this 4.5, I would. It IS very good but not quite perfect. The shades are suitable for me as I'm VERY pale. I was amazed I can wear #2 as I'm always the lightest shade in any foundation. When you first apply it, it's a bit chalky but then it settles and looks really lovely. It's matte, but not too matte. I think it definitely controls oil too. It doesn't cause breakouts (not that I'm really very acne prone, but this def didn't give me any pimples) and it looks very natural like you're not wearing makeup and even minimizes lines!!. My only gripe is that it really doesn't give very much coverage and you need to wear concealer on any scars you might have. I found I could not build the coverage either which was disappointing. Still, it's only worth 1/2 a star off for this as it performs so well in every other way. In fact, my husband was looking at me oddly the other day and when I asked him why he said that I look "different". When I asked him to explain further, he said that I looked "good different, like you stumbled into good light or something". I'll take that as a compliment!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by lauraroxane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

WHAT I LOOK FOR IN FOUNDATION:
Because I have oily, problem skin (blemishes and scars), I wear foundation daily and prefer full coverage with a matte finish. I'm willing to pay more for great foundation.

PAST EXPERIENCES WITH FOUNDATION:
I've always preferred liquid foundations, but they often (a) cause visible dryness and flaking around any blemishes, making them more noticeable, (b) wear off or get streaky by lunchtime, and (c) are noticeable - you can tell I'm wearing make up. Powder foundations I've tried tend to look unnatural and don't cover fully or long enough (i.e., MAC's Studio Fix powder foundation, which covers well but doesn't last long and doesn't look natural on me. Also, Givency's Mattissime Absolute Matte Finish Powder Foundation, which looks natural but doesn't cover fully or last long enough.)

TRYING/BUYING EXPERIENCE:
While browsing in a Body Shop store at the Frankfurt Airport two years ago, I saw a display for their "All in One Face Base" - a powder foundation that comes in a mirrored compact with a round applicator (which sits in its own compartment in the compact). There are only six shades available - they go by numbers (1 being the lightest, 6 being the darkest). I'm fair skinned and purchased what I thought was my closest match - Shade 3.

That afternoon, I applied this base to my clean face with a damp applicator (the package says that dampening the applicator will create fuller coverage). Big mistake - this made the makeup go on in dark streaks. I washed it off, let the applicator dry, then tried again, this time applying it dry. What a difference! When applied dry, coverage is full, beautiful, smooth, and natural looking. What really struck me was that at the end of the day, the base was still on, still providing coverage, with no streaking, blotchy areas, or flaking/dry spots.

WHY I LOVE IT:
It's long-lasting, provides full coverage, and appears absolutely natural looking. This is the only foundation I've ever used that provides true full coverage while looking 100% natural. This is also the only matte, full coverage foundation that doesn't cause drying/flaking to blemishes and dry spots on my skin. Blends and applies beautifully. Does a great job toning down redness in my complexion.

SUBSEQUENT EXPERIENCES WITH THIS PRODUCT:
Since my initial use two years ago, I've been using this foundation daily. Though I'm fair skinned, Shade 3 was just a little too pale, so I now use Shade 4. Each compact comes with an applicator sponge and lasts 2 to 3 months (when using it the makeup once a day).

USAGE TIPS:
- Unfortunately, there are only six shades of All in One Face Base. If you're between shades, I recommend purchasing both the lighter and darker shade and swiping a little of both onto the applicator before applying. Yes, it's expensive, but the shade selection is limited, and I believe the quality and look of this foundation is worth buying both if you're between shades.

- Works great on bare skin (the way I wore it for first 8 or 9 months) but even better over Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer - the only foundation primer that works on my skin.

- Apply dry. Although the package directions recommend applying with a damp applicator for fuller coverage, I've found it covers more fully and beautifullly when applied dry. It streaks when applied wet.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2010 8:05:00 PM More reviews by lorac29

It's a decent powder. It has good coverage but if you don't moisturize well it will look really cakey and patchy. The biggest con about this is that is does not control oil. After a couple of hours my face looks oily and reapplication is necessary.