September 17, 2014 | 1862 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 1:15:00 PM More reviews by cathouse443

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is amazing!! I've tried them all from Christian Dior all the way down to L' Oreal. I've always been in search of that dewy finish without the oil. If that is what you're looking for, this is the product. You only need a very little bit. Save your money on the brush, E.L.F. has one very similar for $3. The finish is like velvet, very breathable. I'm very hard to color match due to pink undertones and the Satin color is perfect. I have a lot of discoloration due to sun damage. This hides it completely without feeling heavy or cakey. I really look like I'm not wearing makeup. I have this health glow without the makeup look. I'm very satisfied and feel the need to stock up since I won't be buying anything else...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Kristenhonto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Holy freaking crap!!! This stuff is amazing. I have very dry, dull, pale skin. This stuff woke up my face. It's lightweight, dewy, and has much more coverage than I expected. And props to Bare Escentuals for their marketing for this product, the commercial drew me in. Holy grail material for sure. If you have oily skin, however, this product may not last very long for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by bri293

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love reading all the reviews for products but I have never written one here before, but this product is so amazing I had to! (Sorry it's long!)

My skin has been very frustrating for me over the past 5 years, where I went from relatively clear skin to constantly breaking out. Not horrible acne, but always having several pimples and my skin tone was horribly unveven. One pimple would go away and another would appear somewhere else. Sometimes I would get horrible cystic ones that were so painful and awful looking. My skin is combination... oily in the t zone, dry along the jaw line. I also have really fair skin which made it very difficult to find a liquid foundation that was the right shade, so many of them out there are too orangey or too pink. That was when I decided to try the Bare Minerals foundation. I like the powder foundation and it seemed to help a little with clearing up my skin and matched my skin tone well, but I could never get full coverage without it looking cakey. I had to result to using concealers or other liquid foundation to cover those areas which my skin was not happy with.

I was skeptical when Bare Escentuals came out with this, but figured what the heck, I would give it a try. I LOVE IT!!!!!! The first time I used it I thought it was just ok, but I decided to stick it out for a week at least and really give it a shot. I'm so glad that I did. I've never gotten such flawless looking results from a foundation, and it does quite a good job giving me full coverage without looking cakey. The key is definitely SLOWLY building however. If you put too much on at once it comes out horrible!!! (which I did the second time I tried it and had to take it off and start over) You definitely have to shake well before use. It comes out of the bottle in a more runny consistancy than I was expecting, but glides on smooth and feels great on. I've been using it for a couple weeks and have found that 4 drops (one on each cheek, one for forehead and one for nose/chin) gives me good coverage without it being super obvious that I'm wearing makeup (on a really bad breakout day I used an extra drop and it still didn't look too cakey after I blended really well, but looked better with only 4 small drops).

This makeup feels like you aren't wearing anything at all which is shocking since I do get great coverage. Before applying I use a small amount of moisturizer to get rid of any dry patches and then I top it off with BE mineral veil and found that it lasts pretty much all day (definitely no worse than any other foundation I've ever tried). I like that when it sets it's not chalky, it gives you a little bit of a dewy look (but not oily!) which is what I think makes it look more natural like bare skin. I've also noticed an improvement in my skin texture when I'm not wearing any makeup, it seems softer and is more even toned, and I've had less breakouts! It could be a coincidence, but I feel like my skin hasn't been this clear for over 2 years and I haven't changed anything else in my skin regimen or diet the past couple weeks.

I did buy the brush and love it, not sure how well it would work with other brushes (but the brush was expensive!). The packaging for this foundation is amazing, it is so easy to dispense from and seems like there won't be wasted product left at the end that you can't get out.

I'm was so excited about the large range of colors since being fair skinned I had such a hard time in the past finidng the right one. I highly recommend going to the boutique and getting your tone matched if you have the chance, since I was on the fence about which one to try.

Obviously due to the varying reviews, not everyone loves (or even likes) this foundation, but it is the only one I can honestly say that I've ever loved! I just hope that they don't "improve" it over time and ruin it for me!

UPDATE: I wrote my original review in May after I had been using the product for 2 weeks. It's now September and I just bought a new bottle. Yes, that's right, it lasted me almost 4 months! In my opinion that definitely helps justify the price! I used it at least 5 days a week the whole summer (I very rarely don't wear at least some makeup). The shape of the bottle definitely helps get every last drop out and no wasted product. Months later I still LOVE this foundation!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Redam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The verdict is still out, but I think I am in love! I can't believe such a small amount of product can cover so much. My skin looks like my skin, just better. A lot better. I did break out from the foundation powder and started using Merle Norman Mineral Foundation instead for the last 5 years but just had to try this. Only gave it 4 stars since I am still unsure if I will break out from it. Will update if anything changes

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by emarti54

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

i really enjoy using this foundation and how it feels in my skin.
I absolutely adore makeup, but unfortunately have always hated the feeling of makeup or skincare products on my skin. Theres nothing worst than feeling like Í have a mask on my face all day. Because of that there has never really been a liquid foundation i''ve taken a shine on. On my latest trip to sephora i saw this product and thought what the hell i have nothing to loose, and i had been on the hunt since the estee lauder invisible fluid foundation i had bought seemed too heavy for me. Im very glad i decided to try this out. It absolutly sinks into the skin, it blends like a dream ad when applied properly covers absolutely everything you need it too and is undetectable. Also i feel the shade selection is very forgiving since it is so sheer and blendable. Try this out girls is amazing

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2014 1:07:00 AM More reviews by Adi96

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really enjoy this foundation.
The key to making this foundation work is to shake it VERY VERY WELL. About 10 seconds of shaking. After that, the magic happens. I got this in bare tan, and it's literally my perfect match. Their foundation selection is quite impressive, and the fact that they are so sensitive skin friendly makes this foundation wonderful for many people. I will say that I do not recommend this to people with drier skin types, since the formula can be a tiny bit drying. The coverage is quite buildable, but you MUST start of by applying very thin layers in order to achieve higher coverage. It works beautifully in conjunction with other products, and lasted me all day in muggy, humid, tropical weather. I gave this 4 out of 5 stars since I have only had this foundation for a little while, so I can't be absolutely sure that I love this just yet.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by Jsong09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried it multiple times and in multiple different ways and I am not in love.

This foundation was intriguing because it's a mineral based liquid foundation created by a company who previously only sold powder/loose mineral makeup.

FACTS:
Price: $30
Volume:1 fluid ounce (30 ml)
Sun Protection: SPF 20
Natural to slightly dewy finish
Medium coverage (buildable)
Very runny/thin

PROS
No scent
Convenient packaging
Impressive color selection.

They have 20 different shades:
01-05: light
06-10: medium
11-15: Tan
16-18: Dark
19-20: Deep

Within those shades they have cool, neutral and yellow tones.
I was between bare cream 05 and bare ivory 04 which are both yellow toned, the bare ivory began to look orange on my skin so I went for the bare cream 05.

CONS
Lasting power: 2-4 hours
Horrible for dry skin

I have used this foundation with a beauty blender, a Sigma F84 angled top kabuki as well as my Real techniques buffing brush. (I didn't buy the brush it was marketed with because frankly I thought it was a little gimmicky) No matter how I apply it, this foundation REALLY accentuates your dry patches. The beauty blender did the best out of the three considering I was using it damp but man, this foundation is not forgiving for dry skin,
Even with the dewy finish, the dry skin and patches totally show.

My suggestion would be to sample it before you buy, exfoliate before you try and cross your fingers and hope it works for your skin texture.

If it didn't make my skin look so dry and patchy, I would otherwise love the foundation.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 7:32:00 AM More reviews by misssoldiergirl

OMG HOLY GRAIL STATUS!!!! This foundation is seriously so amazing. The trick to getting it to look good is to shake it up really well then put 2 drops on a brush and dab a tiny bit on the forehead, cheeks, chin and nose and bend well then apply more if needed. Two drops will give you a light coverage. You need to build it up to get more, don't just put 6 drops on all at once or you may find it to be cakey. Shaking it well is very important because the formula does not contain any binders since bareminerals is all about their products being good for skin. This is a wonderful product and I highly recommend it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/18/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I purchased this when spotted at Ulta, I had wanted to purchase as a pre-order from QVC since they were offering a nice combo package of the foundation and brush for $39. I held off and waited for the product to arrive in stores so I could color match and make sure to purchase the right color for my complexion.

I admit, my first couple of attempts with this product were lackluster, at best. I found the results streaked and coverage was hit or miss...mostly miss. I was ready to return the product when I read another reviewer's comment about shaking the bottle for 10-15 seconds before dropping on the brush and if the foundation sunk into the brush it wasn't properly mixed. Following this advice, I got the bottle back out and gave it another shot. Not only did I get better coverage, I used less product than I had been before. Shaking the bottle more thoroughly made all the difference with this product.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2014 4:35:00 PM More reviews by lovelyvenice

Wow, reading some of these good reviews I am so shocked. I tried this foundation over an entire weekend and it just did not live up to the hype. First of all, without a setting powder this foundation will never set. After wearing this for an hour, I lightly scratched my face and well, the foundation came off. Keep in mind I have dry skin, I can only imagine how you oily skin ladies would feel about this! After two hours I was blotchy. This definitely doesn't wear off evenly. Also, I'm 20 years old with little to no fine lines and this foundation made all the lines I didn't know I had come out and say hi. I looked in the mirror and literally got scared when I saw my laugh lines. Lol it was bad.
Keep in mind, I used a really great primer so you would think that this foundation would be just amazing but no!
On the other hand, when actually using a setting powder it did last maybe an hour longer, so..in total about 3 hours until it started to get blotchy. 3 hour wear. 3 HOURS like what the,????

Don't be fooled and convinced into purchasing this if an associate at Sephora or Ulta applies this on you at the store. Because the worst part of this foundation is that when you barely apply it, you look FLAWLESS. AIRBRUSHED. And you're like holy bleep take me to the register!! At least that's what happened to me.
Completely disappointed later on when you see how it wears.

Damn it Bare Minerals I really wanted to
like this. Why do you get me so excited and then just break my heart WHY

8 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No