October 2, 2014 | 1221 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 11:12:00 AM More reviews by millgirl70

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love the foundation - I had to try it 3 times to get the right color for me. I wear shade 3 linen and I wear the brightening primer under it. I had to try a couple of primers, but this one seems to work for me.

I also use illuminating mineral veil and skinny dip bronzer. I also tried the new blush the natural high which seems to look much better on my face than Nars Orgasm. It is still sparkly, but there is a different tone to this blush. Everyone who sees it really loves the color and the way that it goes on.

I have read some of the negative reviews, but then some folks also hate the regular bare minerals - I always loved the powder, but I really also like the liquid.

I also love the brush - even after the foundation has been put on my face I use the brush to blend the foundation.

I put the foundation on first thing in the morning and it is still on my face when I get home more than 12 hours later.

The first time I tried it on one of my friends noticed that my skin looked different and she really liked how my skin looked.

I just want to urge people to try this foundation - I've been wearing it for a few weeks and even when I don't wear the foundation, my skin looks better bare than it did before I tried this.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/30/2014 7:56:00 AM More reviews by RMulieri

I bought this product with high hopes .I love BE mineral foundations overall but they are so messy ,so having a liquid come out , I was excited. ..It was a good color match, but that is where anything good about it ends..I am not overly dry or oily skin( I am oily in the t-zone but dry elsewhere and I like dewy foundations as well as matte).I bought this off QVC and it came with the brush.This product emphasized every single dry flake, pore and wrinkle I have.You know its bad when people want to know what the heck you did to your skin because it looks like alligator skin.I gave this foundation several tries and used several application methods ( including the brush it came with).Sent it back to QVC for a refund

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by Lizpaola25

Best foundation I have ever tried. If you like a dewy look with full coverage then this is your baby! It's blends smoothly into my pores and it does not crease. A little goes a long way. I apply this with a flat kabuki brush. 3 drops covers my entire face and then some. I have acne prone skin and have not noticed any pimple and cystic pimples. It's light weight and does not feel heavy, greasy or cakey.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2014 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Dahlia70

I love this foundation. I've been wearing this for two weeks now and ta-da NO BREAKOUTS! I normally start getting a breakout from a new foundation within a few days but nada with this one, i'm so pleased!

I always make sure to shake it more than it probably needs and I use anywhere from 2-4 drops depending on what coverage I am going for. I cannot believe how well this covers stuff with so few drops! amazing! I sometimes will finish with mineral veil or if i'm going out for an evening with the original mineral foundation, but usually i don't set it at all.

I find this lasts me 8-10 hours depending if i set it or not. My skin looks great and I think its the foundation that is helping! I'm really impressed.

I get the negative reviews, i feel just as with the mineral powder foundation you either love it or hate it. this probably isnt made for people with really dry skin or really oily skin but those somewhere in the middle. I have normal skin and i don't find it makes me too dry or too oily.
I personally have nothing bad to say about it and found that i can get a good coverage without the brush they suggest you use. I've used my fingers, the elf studio powder brush and the Real Techniques face brush (the copper colored handle one) all with success.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2014 3:45:00 AM More reviews by larosedechanel

I cannot stand Pure Brightening Serum Foundation. I don't even know the right words that could express how much I dislike this makeup; I'm not exaggerating, this is one of the worst things I've ever put on my face. I was color matched in Sephora to Bare Almond 16, but I probably should have got Bare Maple 17—MAYBE even Bare Walnut 18. Anyway, I listened to the makeup artist & gave it a try. After seeing good reviews & a lot of people raving about this like it's the makeup from the gods, I had high hopes.

All right, so the foundation is on my face. Think of the monster from The Goonies. That's how I felt. Despite the actual product being so thin & borderline watery, it was streaky, felt drying, & looked flaky on my skin. Blending & buffing took forever & wasn't easy to do. Even with the company's special $28 Perfecting Face Brush they suggest you use, it was a mess! This foundation is weird to me. I was advised to use "three or four drops" for the full coverage I wanted, so that's what I did. Those three or four drops practically had me wearing a mask.

This foundation set in the worst way. It literally accentuated every single imperfection. Every blemish, line, bump, & pore on my face looked three times as bad after I wore this. Another reviewer wrote: "I'm 20 years old with little to no fine lines and this foundation made all the lines I didn't know I had come out and say hi." I absolutely agree. At 21, there is no reason my face should have been looking how it did. If you have large pores or any type of lines on your face, you'll see them x10. That "famous no-makeup look & feel" is a joke! If you even think of building up to medium-full/full coverage, you'll look caked & fake.

I hardly ever leave reviews THIS bad or with this much negativity. I was so let down & disappointed in this product… To add insult to injury, my mom bought it & it looks like it was made for her lol In most cases, even if I don't like a foundation, I can find SOME positive aspect about it. On my skin, this foundation is all wrong. I like nothing, & I mean nothing. Save your $29 & buy a drugstore foundation because it would be better than Pure Brightening Serum Foundation, or spend a little more money & get a quality foundation. Seriously, miss this.

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/27/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by nmaf23

I think I have found my HOLY GRAIL!! I have tried everything..NARS,GUERLAIN,GIORGIO ARMANI ,KANEBO SENSAI, CHANEL,DIOR,LANCOME,REVLON...you name it ,Ive tried it. While there are some of those foundations I absolutely love!..There is something this foundation does for me. I have combination skin that gets slightly oily in the t-zone but is quite dehydrated if that makes sense. This foundation is everything I need in a foundation. SPF for the day but still photographs well for night time, hydrates my dehydration lines but still stays in place. This foundation is my PERFECT match, I have never found a foundation that matches me perfectly..I usually mix two..I would be an NC46 in Mac if it existed. I wear BARE WALNUT in this and it matches me PERFECT. The foundation has a GORGEOUS natural slightly dewy finish with easily buildable coverage that makes my skin look supple and FLAWLESS. it is also extremely lightweight.
My only CON is it is not the most long lasting on its own but applied with my MARC JACOBS the face II brush over Philosophy the present and set with Hourglass Ambient lighting Dim and then Ben Nye Banana Powder .I can get a full 6-8 hr wear without touchups...
LOVE LOVE THIS GEM ...THE PRICE IS JUST RIGHT AND THE PACKAGING IS GREAT FOR ANY SITUATION...

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2014 1:38:00 PM More reviews by ShawP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I apologize ahead of time since I'm reviewing this based on a sample amount only. However, I find that so little is necessary to provide sufficient coverage whether full or light. With 4 days of use, I still have plenty left in my samples. In the BE mineral powder, I've worn the color, Warm Tan (which oxidizes red on me). In other brands, I wear Revlon Colorstay Caramel/MAC NC45. In this format, I sampled Bare Maple and Bare Walnut while in Sephora. I fell hard for this because of the excellent color match. I've found that I can use either color and be pleased with Bare Maple being lighter, while Bare Walnut is the darker tone of the two. The foundation is water-like in thickness, but very pigmented.

Using my dampened SK Multipurpose Brush, I dab as lightly as I can to pick up the color from the sample container which has been vigorously shaken (it needs shaking to blend the ingredients). One light dab is enough for the entire face, and that is if you are going for full coverage. After swirling the foundation in and blending, it looks like perfect skin - not matte or shiny in any way.

Sadly, because my skin is very oily, this will not be my foundation, especially during the summer. I find that within hours, I'm very shiny and I see pooling of foundation in my pores. I'm used to blotting, but this happens way sooner than usual. However, I think this would be perfect for dry to normal skins. It is so easy and quick to apply for a beautiful finish. I'm envious of you dry-to-nomal skinned individuals because I'm sure this is a quick, perfect formula for you all.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2014 1:15:00 PM More reviews by cathouse443

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is amazing!! I've tried them all from Christian Dior all the way down to L' Oreal. I've always been in search of that dewy finish without the oil. If that is what you're looking for, this is the product. You only need a very little bit. Save your money on the brush, E.L.F. has one very similar for $3. The finish is like velvet, very breathable. I'm very hard to color match due to pink undertones and the Satin color is perfect. I have a lot of discoloration due to sun damage. This hides it completely without feeling heavy or cakey. I really look like I'm not wearing makeup. I have this health glow without the makeup look. I'm very satisfied and feel the need to stock up since I won't be buying anything else...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/23/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by Kristenhonto

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Holy freaking crap!!! This stuff is amazing. I have very dry, dull, pale skin. This stuff woke up my face. It's lightweight, dewy, and has much more coverage than I expected. And props to Bare Escentuals for their marketing for this product, the commercial drew me in. Holy grail material for sure. If you have oily skin, however, this product may not last very long for you.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/23/2014 11:05:00 AM More reviews by bri293

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love reading all the reviews for products but I have never written one here before, but this product is so amazing I had to! (Sorry it's long!)

My skin has been very frustrating for me over the past 5 years, where I went from relatively clear skin to constantly breaking out. Not horrible acne, but always having several pimples and my skin tone was horribly unveven. One pimple would go away and another would appear somewhere else. Sometimes I would get horrible cystic ones that were so painful and awful looking. My skin is combination... oily in the t zone, dry along the jaw line. I also have really fair skin which made it very difficult to find a liquid foundation that was the right shade, so many of them out there are too orangey or too pink. That was when I decided to try the Bare Minerals foundation. I like the powder foundation and it seemed to help a little with clearing up my skin and matched my skin tone well, but I could never get full coverage without it looking cakey. I had to result to using concealers or other liquid foundation to cover those areas which my skin was not happy with.

I was skeptical when Bare Escentuals came out with this, but figured what the heck, I would give it a try. I LOVE IT!!!!!! The first time I used it I thought it was just ok, but I decided to stick it out for a week at least and really give it a shot. I'm so glad that I did. I've never gotten such flawless looking results from a foundation, and it does quite a good job giving me full coverage without looking cakey. The key is definitely SLOWLY building however. If you put too much on at once it comes out horrible!!! (which I did the second time I tried it and had to take it off and start over) You definitely have to shake well before use. It comes out of the bottle in a more runny consistancy than I was expecting, but glides on smooth and feels great on. I've been using it for a couple weeks and have found that 4 drops (one on each cheek, one for forehead and one for nose/chin) gives me good coverage without it being super obvious that I'm wearing makeup (on a really bad breakout day I used an extra drop and it still didn't look too cakey after I blended really well, but looked better with only 4 small drops).

This makeup feels like you aren't wearing anything at all which is shocking since I do get great coverage. Before applying I use a small amount of moisturizer to get rid of any dry patches and then I top it off with BE mineral veil and found that it lasts pretty much all day (definitely no worse than any other foundation I've ever tried). I like that when it sets it's not chalky, it gives you a little bit of a dewy look (but not oily!) which is what I think makes it look more natural like bare skin. I've also noticed an improvement in my skin texture when I'm not wearing any makeup, it seems softer and is more even toned, and I've had less breakouts! It could be a coincidence, but I feel like my skin hasn't been this clear for over 2 years and I haven't changed anything else in my skin regimen or diet the past couple weeks.

I did buy the brush and love it, not sure how well it would work with other brushes (but the brush was expensive!). The packaging for this foundation is amazing, it is so easy to dispense from and seems like there won't be wasted product left at the end that you can't get out.

I'm was so excited about the large range of colors since being fair skinned I had such a hard time in the past finidng the right one. I highly recommend going to the boutique and getting your tone matched if you have the chance, since I was on the fence about which one to try.

Obviously due to the varying reviews, not everyone loves (or even likes) this foundation, but it is the only one I can honestly say that I've ever loved! I just hope that they don't "improve" it over time and ruin it for me!

UPDATE: I wrote my original review in May after I had been using the product for 2 weeks. It's now September and I just bought a new bottle. Yes, that's right, it lasted me almost 4 months! In my opinion that definitely helps justify the price! I used it at least 5 days a week the whole summer (I very rarely don't wear at least some makeup). The shape of the bottle definitely helps get every last drop out and no wasted product. Months later I still LOVE this foundation!!!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No