November 22, 2014 | 1699 users online

Liquid - Bare Escentuals - bareSkin® Pure Brightening Serum Foundation Broad Spectrum SPF 20

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

This has got to be the worst foundation that BM has come out with yet. I do not know who is in charge of developing new products, but that person or team of individuals appears to be rushing out products that either need to be worked on more, or should not be launched at all. This is called a serum foundation, but it really is a low quality liquid foundation in disguise. What is worse is this weird brush they developed to go with it. You add drops of foundation into it, depending on how much coverage you desire. After that you apply the foundation to your face, which I did. As I was applying the foundation it felt like the brush was also removing some of it at the same time. How can you really get medium to full coverage at all, if the brush is really sheering the foundation out on your face, till it looks more like you have on a tinted moisturizer versus a foundation. Building up more coverage is virtually impossible. It also this slightly chemical scent to it as well. And whether I wore it with mineral veil on top for oil control, this foundation does not mesh well with heat. As, I had to do touch ups during the day, yet the product I could see was not holding up well at all. It may hold up better when the weather is cool/cold outside. However, I have no plans to find out as I returned both the foundation and brush for a refund from QVC.

Please do not believe the hype on this product. As, I don't know what direction this company is going in anymore ever since it was taken over by Sheseido.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2014 2:30:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is only a first impressions review because I've only tried this out for about 3 days. I've been extremely loyal to NARS Sheer Matte and NARS Pressed Powder Foundation. They make the perfect color match for my winter skin (Fiji) and I am really picky about foundation matches. I recently went on a one-week vacation to the Dominican Republic which left me with a lovely, light summer tan. Unfortunately, Fiji is too light for me in both formulas. The next shade up, Punjab, is far too peachy to match my golden undertones. I also felt that NARS SM has a little bit too much coverage for me right out of the bottle. I often mix it with moisturizer to sheer it out to my liking. The Pressed Powder foundation seems to be a little too matte for me, and I think it's time that my combo skin retires it. I had heard about BareSkin --- its advertised sheer & natural finish intrigued me. That and its fairly reasonable price ($29 vs. $40+ for my NARS foundations) made me decide to try it.

I first tried it on at a BE boutique. The SA did try to push me into buying that fancy brush. I don't feel that it's necessary. I went ahead and bought the Real Techniques Expert Face brush after watching several YT girls recommending this. I think it works just as well. Anyway, I fell in love with the way it looked on my skin. Not too matte, not too dewy, and not heavy at all. I don't require a lot of coverage, and I tried doing 1 drop on my left side of the face + 1 drop on the right side + 1 drop for the forehead & nose. I think this combo is perfect for me. The one gripe I do have about this foundation thus far is its lasting power. I had topped NARS Pressed LRP over this foundation and got about 5 hours wear before I started noticing some oiliness. However, the SA did prep my skin with moisturizer & primer (which is something that I didn't do today). That seemed to increase its longevity on me. I'll report back once I do this.

NOW, the one thing that I can definitely elaborate on is the SHADES. I think there is a really extensive shade range. I have said that about my beloved NARS, but they specialize for yellower tones & don't have many options for neutral or cool skintones. With BareSkin, the shades are listed by undertone & depth which makes it really nice to pinpoint the shades that may suit you. I asked the SA to try Bare Ivory (04 - light skin with golden undertones), Bare Cream (05 - light skin with rich golden undertones), Bare Nude (09 - medium skin with golden undertones), and Bare Buff (10 - medium skin with rich golden undertones). She tried those on me plus Bare Natural (07 - medium skin with neutral undertones) and Bare Beige (08 - medium skin with neutral to golden undertones). The nice thing about the packaging is that the color you see on the bottle is pretty much what you get. With my tan, I think I may be around NC30 right now. I knew 07 and 08 would not be yellow enough for me just by looking at the bottle. I also noticed that 04 (which is definitely not your typical ivory shade) is actually darker than 05. Furthermore, 04 actually seemed to be more golden than 05 despite not being labeled as a "rich golden" shade. I reckon that 04 would be my winter shade, whereas 05 would be great for someone who wears NARS Ceylan. 09 and 10 seemed to blend pretty well with my skin that I deliberated for a good 5 minutes. I ultimately decided on 09; 10 was just a tiny bit darker and olive-y. If I end up loving this foundation, I will definitely go back and get 04 to mix with my 09 as my tan fades.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by valexander01

Honestly, I loved everything about this foundation except mine stunk. It literally smelt like play-dough and it lingered all day. The finish was great, it looked awesome on my skin but just could not get over the smell. This will definitely be going back to Sephora.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by mchampion

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am 46 years old, skin discoloration, a few wrinkles are slowly trying to creep in (which I'm fighting every step of the way), I tend to get an oily t-zone late in the afternoon and break out super easy. I stopped by the store after seeing the advertisements and they fixed me three samples of color shades in my range so I could test them at home to see which one I preferred. I will say that I use Origins Make a Difference treatment moisturizer and Too Faced Primed and Poreless before applying this foundation. I'm not sure if it is because of the moisturizer and primer, since I haven't tried applying it without, but it applies smooth as butter. I was so impressed that I went back and bought a bottle and I also bought the brush but ended up returning it because I didn't care for the way it looked using their brush. I use a flat one but the bristles are softer and it doesn't have the cut out (can't remember the name of it at the moment). I also set this with Merle Norman Mineral makeup. I have tried Bare Minerals but unfortunately it doesn't cover as well or match as well as the MN, on me anyway. I have been using this foundation for three weeks and have not had any breakouts, haven't had to touch up to cover an oily t-zone and my skin actually feels better when I take my makeup off. I love the fact that this is "natural", omitting all of the hazardous preservatives/fillers, it has sunscreen and it feels and looks like a second skin instead of appearing thick and cakey and is a serum as well as a foundation, plus it is odorless. You should stop by and get a sample to see for yourself. Absolutely incredible!!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 6:26:00 PM More reviews by BEjunkie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Because I totally drink the koolaid. The coverage is lovely, especially if you have redness and hyper pigmentation. Oily skinned girls will find that a primer and setting powder is a must. I find the mineral veil works wonderfully to set it. On me, this lasted great despite lots of time outdoors in humid Florida, and sweating. I love the added sunscreen as well but worried a bit about it because some sunscreens break me out. My skin looks radiant with this on, and it really looks like my skin. I stopped wearing Bare Minerals foundation years ago because of some cystic chin pimples that I thought may have been caused by the foundation. Now, looking back, I think it might have been post pregnancy hormones and that I should have kept with the foundation. It's the only one I'd ever used that actually felt good for my skin. I love the hygienic delivery of this product. I'm not sure the brush was a necessary purchase, especially because I had the Philosophy Supernatural brush in my collection already, which is almost identical in size, weight, feel and bristle. Except without the weird indentation. At any rate, this foundation is like nothing I have ever tried. It is gorgeous and gives you flawless skin. It doesn't stay put quite like my thick, full coverage foundation that clogs my pores and gives me cake face but I don't mind. This is one of those foundations that are perfect for summer.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2014 5:46:00 PM More reviews by MPoyner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is my HG I am 45 have light slightly dry sensitive skin. Anything with oil will break me out. I prefer a lighter coverage, thin foundations and loved Bobbi Brown Skin but it broke me out and clogged my pores something awful . The consistency of this foundation is a lot like BB Skin. It's light and buildable and after 2 weeks of wear I have had no breakouts at all. The only problem I've had is it can show flakes so skin prep is essential. Other than that I adore this stuff. My skin just glows and it looks great makeup free too! I got the linen and the natural shades both and mix them for a more custom color. I do think I will be linen in the winter though. The brush is a necessity. It makes application a breeze and you really do is very little of the product, just a couple of drops.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by bteaster5

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have searched endlessly for a weightless foundation with coverage! This is it folks! I did purchase the brush and like it also. It takes only a few drops for the whole face. I do use the makeup forever hi-def powder to set it. Beautiful and stays in place. Plus it has SPF. Can't go wrong. Only complaint is the bottle is hard and squeezing a drop or two out is sort of difficult.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/14/2014 4:30:00 PM More reviews by AnBrPe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Worst foundation I've ever used, hands down. I hate the bottle, squeezing out one drop is difficult but beyond that this stuff just sucks. It's supposed to be light and buildable. I found it to be cakey and incredibly noticeable. It just sits on my skin. I tried one drop, I tried two, I tried it with and without the brush. Bottom line, horrible stuff.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 11:13:00 AM More reviews by stimwink1

This is a product I'm seeing a lot either love or hate. No inbetween. For me I have Neutral leaning to fair skin. Drying out but every once in a while the face demons will make an appearance on my face. So even at my age I need to be careful. I spotted this at Ulta before the hype started. I've always loved the powder formula so I was really excited to see this. I took #7 it went on cool but turned a little yellow when it oxidized on my skin. Not horrible but I will be trying another shade when I run out of this. I do suggest before you buy get some samples or try a couple of shades before investing in a $29 purchase. I did not initially get the brush I have a really good soft flat brush that I love for liquid foundation but if you don't mind the initial $29 investment on top of the foundation do it. I will probably purchase the brush now. You do have to shake this puppy good. I put all my moisturizers and bases on and while they are drying I'll do the shake. Sounds silly but for fun I sang the Hippy Hippy shake song and once through did the trick on blending this foundation, plus gives my other products a chance to set.

Initially this goes on really nasty and I wasn't liking it at all. I had to work at getting the right number of drops/blending to make it work. It took a few applications and tries. After a week after I got the hang of it and for my face it was flawless looking and I got 12 hours out of this. I was very impressed. I do only use two/three drops total and get full coverage including my neck. circular motion and blend but not over blend otherwise it will start to take the product off your face. For the record I'm in the 50+ crowd so my results will probably be different than younger skin. Since there is nothing extra in this including water (weird) I don't see alot of skin having issues with this unless you have sensitivity to plant extracts. (This has a lilac extract)

Bottom line if you love the Bareminerals line I say yes give this a try. Also if you don't mind the initial experimentation to figure out how this works for you and like the art of perfect foundation with blending and "shaking" you should be fine. If you are a put it on and go and no fuss type person you may find this a real fail. For me yes I will be buying again although I will be making a more careful shade choice next round.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

I finally went into a BE store and was color matched and learned how to use this. Turns out I was using the wrong color and using way too much. The MUA used a total of two drops on me. She striped them on my skin then buffed them in one at a time. My skin looked great and it held up all day. So I bought it again with the brush. I am in 08 and I am NC 25/30, pantone 1Y07-8 right now for summer, Laura Mercier, blush during most of the year, sand right now. Cannot stress enough about not trying to guess your color but either going into a store or calling the BE line. The BE CS phone line had told me initially that I was 08 but I didn't believe them. The colors in this and the ready line can run very yellow.

Additionally I have slightly combination skin right now. The MA only used a smidge of mineral veil on me but I could see why folks with oily skin would have a problem with this foundation. This serum foundation looked natural on me but where I am a tad oilier it looked dewy so for oily folks the matte BM is probably your best bet.

The feel is indeed weightless which I go for. But I won't be able to rely on the sunscreen factor with 2-3 drops so I have to wear several layers underneath this. I wore this over sunscreen/moisturizer and primer.

I have some arthritis in my hands and although the bottle is hard, I like that is dispenses a drop at a time.

Initially I didn't like this but I was using the wrong color and too much. As with most of BE's products there is a learning curve.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No