Nizoral AD Shampoo

4.4

Active Ingredients: Contains: Ketoconazole (1 %) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide MEA, Sodium Cocoyl Sarcosinate, Glycol Distearate, Acrylic Acid Polymer (Carbomer 1342), Fragrance, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium EDTA, Butylated Hydroxytoluene, Quaternium 15, Polyquaternium 7, Sodium Hydroxide, Hydrochloric Acid, FD&C Blue 1 6/14/09

on 6/2/2007 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

What PoeticDancer said. It works OK, but dries out my hair. It does have a nice lather, color and smell, and I like the tagline, "The Freedom Will Go to Your Head." How can you not like freedom? If there's actually any fungus on my head, I'm glad they're dead.

8/17/07: I'm giving this a five because it worked, when nothing else has for years. Now I only use it once in a blue moon. THANK YOU!

on 5/12/2007 11:03:00 AM

It works alright for dandruff but really dries out your hair.

on 4/15/2007 4:28:00 PM

i use this shampoo all the time. it really works. i've tried many of the anti-dandruff shampoos. they don't hold a candle. seems to be safe on my color treated hair too.

on 3/13/2007 3:12:00 PM

i thought this was better than neutrogena t-gel, and that is a pretty good product. i like that it doesn't have that coal tar smell. it is kinda drying but if you use this once or twice a week it should be fine.

on 12/30/2006 4:52:00 PM

I've just about given up on regular shampoo in the wintertime. Like DERMAdoctor suggests, I use an entire arsenal of dandruff/anti-itch shampoos, on an as-needed rotation. Nizoral works the best for me. I'll also use selenium sulfide (Head&Shoulders) and salicylic acid (Neutrogena). Zinc Pyrithione has never worked for me, in fact has made flakes worse (?is this possible?). I've also used Aveda's Scalp Benefits, but wouldn't buy again. I've used a plethora of health-food store brands with no luck. The older I've gotten (I'm 48), the worse my scalp has gotten, and I've fought using dandruff shampoos because I really want my hair to look like it used to when I was younger. I've finally given in to the fact that it ain't happening, and my hair is just going to look ratty, but my scalp will be comfortable. Sigh... I do have some hope that with the right daily conditioner, I can bring my hair back to a better state, but haven't found that product yet and I've tried a bunch. I do have to thank the gods for Nizoral though...scalpsaver in a bottle.

on 12/26/2006 6:24:00 PM

Great stuff. Really works...In fact, it is the only dandruff shampoo that has ever really worked on me, and I've tried them all. I still get some flakes and itchiness, but less than with coal tar shampoos, and forget about selenium sulfide (it doesn't do squat on me)...
UPDATE 1/24/08: I use this maybe once every couple of weeks...don't like the fact that it has SLS, so I shy away from it...I really think the main reason why my SD is under control is because of the Alterna Scalp Elixir I use (see my review for it). At least this product kills off the fungus...

on 11/10/2006 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I had a reaction to this after using it for awhile. I had great hopes, initially my dandruff appeared to be a little better, that was short lived! my hair follicles started to look red and inflamed and my scalp felt sore and irritated-i perservered and sad to say now my dandruff is worse than ever. It is very drying. It did not affect my highlights so that was the only plus. Won,t be using this again.

on 11/4/2006 9:32:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Within two uses, the horrible itching on my scalp was gone. I don't have visible dandruff or flakes, but as the weather gets cold i always develop bad itching. Thank's to Nizoral my scalp is now calm and itch-free. I use this once a week for maintenance.It does dry the hair out, but nothing a good conditioner can't fix.

on 9/17/2006 3:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

This product really rocks. It is the only one which help my itchy and flaky scalp. One night, I was running out of Nizoral and had been using regular shampoo instead, my scalp was getting so itchy and flaking terribly, I scratch it like crazy, then decided at 2 am to run to rite aid to help my life.
Highend product with dirt cheap price.
God bless those whom created this shampoo.

on 9/9/2006 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

I have psoriasis and everything I used up to now didn't work. Even dermatoligists prescriptions. But when I bought Nizoral over the counter version, it worked like a charm. What a difference, no more flakes or irritation. I highly recommend this.

Popular Shampoos