MAC Satin Lipstick - MAC Red

4.4

on 3/3/2009 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This to me creates the perfect red lip, I was hesitant to buy this because of its bright red appearance, but trying it on I was pleasantly surprised.

Next to my extremely pale skin it turned out to be the perfect blood red color, and with a bit of clear gloss it came to become the perfect red lip.

But I am taking off one red lippy because of the fact that my other friends who have darker skin have tried this lipstick look like they have bright fuchsia on their lips which isn't the most attractive thing.

on 2/13/2009 1:31:00 PM

A beautiful formula for a red lipstick, Satin is great - not too shiny, not too matte.MAC Red (to me) is a dark true red leaning to the wine side of red on my pigmented lips.Lasts & lasts, never flakes or bleeds! I use this with MAC's Brick liner & apply with a brush for the cleanest lines.Yum, i love this lipstick.(For reference me : very pale n/nc 15ish with dark hair)

on 1/27/2009 2:55:00 AM

This red is one that does what so many others fail to do. Looks good on different skin tones and lip colors. It's creamy, doesn't leech onto your teeth, and rarely feathers at the lipline if you don't use liner. Tres Magnifique.

Definitely not was I was expecting!! In an attempt to find a creamy, smooth version of my beloved Ruby Woo, this looked like just the answer. In the tube, the color looked just like Ruby Woo, a true red with blue undertones. It looked about the same swatched on my hand except super creamy, so of course I bought it. It was returned the next day!! Even on my pale, neutral skin this looked like a fuschia red. The color does not compare to Ruby Woo. And I only buy blue toned red lipsticks, so this was a shock!! But I was in love with the texture, so creamy and felt nice on my lips. But I'd rather stay with my chalky Ruby Woo than use a creamy magenta color!! I think this would work on fair skin with pink undertones, but this might look magenta on neutral and yellow skin tones. Definitely try it on your lips before you buy!!!

on 1/3/2009 2:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

i dont really like the pink tone in this lipstick, and im not a fan of the slippery feeling satin finish. not my favorite red.

After I bought "Red She Said" and fell in love with it, I decided to buy another red lipstick from MAC.
And this was a good decision, it's a great, classy and universal red color for me (NW20).
It should work for most of the people looking for intense and classical red lipstick.
I like the Amplified formula from "Red She Said" better, and the color as well (I would say that MAC Red doesn't have so many blue undertones as "Red She Said", and I like that blue undertones more than brownish reds on me).
I would purchase again.

on 11/6/2008 10:19:00 AM

In the tube this lipstick looks stunning... a very bright vivid blue red as the MAC website says. However as soon as i swatched it on my hand i could tell it would turn up too pink on my lips...

And it did. On my lips it looked like a fuschia type red rather than a true red. A reviewer below me asked for the difference between this and Russian Red and i can safely say Russian Red is nowhere near as pink as this is.

I will persevere though as i'm sure a darker red lipgloss over the top could remedy the pink. For others with fair/medium yellow toned skin like myself (especially asian skin), i would suggest Ruby Woo or Russian Red as you might have more luck with these.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

A nice, satiny, dark true red. transfers a bit too much but seriously, what red lipstick doesn't? *sigh* I need to invest in lipliner.

Not too terrible on the yellow-teeth front like most red lipsticks do.

I never wear red lipstick, I just have a MAC obsession, so I've never worn this for more than a few minutes (I like red lipstains better) so I can't comment on how long it lasts...

It feels nice on, though

on 9/8/2008 4:19:00 AM

I'm usually a nude/ pink/ mauve lipstick girl, until I thought of trying a daring color- what else but red? after i read the reviews of mac red here in makeup alley, I went to the mac store and got my self the mac red. It's really good and I get compliments wearing it. I'm just wondering what's the difference between this and the russian red. I dont mind getting both, but i just want to make sure they don't look too much alike.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I'm generally a very nude lip girl, or a very red lip girl..rarely do you see me in dark pinks or browns. So....out of all my red lipsticks, I couldn't find one pin-up, Christina Aguilera, Candy Man red lipstick. So, I read reviews and checked out my beloved MAC store and found that I needed MAC Red. It's definitely a bright red with blue undertones. A definite neutral eye with a tiny bit of black liner red lipstick, but I love it. I can see myself wearing it this fall with my big off the shoulder sweater, trouser jeans, and leopard print heels. A red lip that should not be worn with a tube top and mini, if you know what I mean.

Popular Lipsticks