April 20, 2014 | 1629 users online

Foundations - Rimmel - Wake Me Up

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by MilenaBR

Best way to apply it: I like to use my hands with this one.

Texture: a little bit on the thick side, but very blendable and smooth, and does not feel heavy on the skin at all.

Finish: dewy, natural, glowy (very beautiful, not shimmery or oily, just glowy)

Coverage: a good medium

Color match: Unfortunately, I got it in the wrong shade. I'm NC30-ish and 201 Classic Beige was too pink toned for me, maybe a bit dark, too. I should have gone for 200 Soft Beige, instead.

Does it oxidize? No

Skin type: combination/dry

Smell: Yes. I don't love it (like the Bourjois Healthy Mix one), but it doesn't bother me either.

Longevity: I'd say around 7 hours, on a regular day.

Does it break you up? No

Overall rating (1 to 5): 5 (I'm not taking a lippy for choosing the wrong color. I could, for the limited shade range, but I like it too much, it deserves 5)

Will you repurchase it? Yes

Overall, I love this foundation and I almost ordered another shade as soon as it arrived in the mail. I controlled myself because I have far too many foundations to finish before I even think about getting a new one. I would highly recommend it (except for oily skin types, that might find the glowy aspect undesirable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 5:53:00 AM More reviews by amtn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

$20AUD. Snagged this on sale for $10AUD.
Purchased this in Ivory 100. The shades that end in '0/zero' are most suitable for yellow undertones. The shades that end in '5/five' are more pink based. I am roughly NC20 at the moment, now that it is winter.

I have dry to normal, sensitive skin and as a result my skin can look very dull at times. This foundation looks lovely on my skin. Dewy, glowing and awake. Upon application, Ivory seems too light but once it settles in and oxidises a bit, it looks perfect. I wore this to uni and had a lady on the bus compliment saying I had a wonderful pregnancy glow. Of course I was flattered and shocked at the same time. She could have said I looked glowing but nah, had to use the word pregnancy. Of course everyone heard and had a gawk at my tummy.

There is glitter particles in this foundation. The glitter is exactly like MAC's Strobe cream! For years I have been mixing MAC's Strobe into foundations to give myself a radiant glow but I have found the same effect achievable, using this foundation. The lasting power with this foundation isn't great, roughly 6 hours but I always powder down my T-zone to give me an extra 2-3 hours wear time.

For nice light coverage, I use my Real Techniques stippling brush or my hands. This foundation is a dream to blend in with your fingers because the formulation is exactly like moisturiser! (Good for days when you're in a rush) For heavier coverage, I use a buffing brush (Real Techniques) or Sigma's line.

I would not recc this foundation if:
- You are not able to find the correct colour shade (I believe there are only 8 shades?)
- Have extremely yellow undertones. Try Bourjois' foundation line instead. They're superior. Found that Rimmel's foundations can run too pink and look ashy AKA downrightdirty/dead skin.
- Have extremely oily skin or large pores as glitter/shine can accentuate those areas
- Have lots of blemishes to cover
- Skintone less than NC20. The lightest shade I have, is not light at all. It is a milk biscuit colour

I do like this foundation a lot as a cheaper alternative to Bourjois which are $32AUD and rarely ever on sale (thank goodness for echemistuk and ASOS though). I will continue to use it until the bottle runs out and see how I wholeheartedly feel about its performance through my good and tough skin days over time. My HG still are, Bourjois Healthy Mix in 52. Bourjois Healthy Mix Serum in 52 and Bourjois Healthy Radiance in 52.

PS: To those finding it too 'glittery'- Use it as a highlighter! I apply a different foundation all over my face and then I stipple this foundation on the high-points of my face like a liquid highlighter. That way you're getting use out of a product you don't like. In the mirror close up, it makes no difference but once you hit outdoor lights, turning and moving your face at different angles. Dimension glows through. Whenever I use this method, people always ask how I am getting that glow so strongly on my temples without looking as if I've even touched a highlighter. Kabaaam, baby you know it.

EDIT: During my time using this foundation, I found that I reserved it for rainy overcast days. During sunny days or at night under bright lights, you can see specks of shimmer all over my face. This is the shimmer that provides the radiant glow from afar, however when close up, the results aren't glamourous. After a long day of wear my boyfriend asked.. if the glitter all over my cheeks and face were from eyeshadow fallout. You know things aren't good if your boyfriend's noticing these things!

Also, my Asian skin tone has predominantly more yellow in it. As a result, this foundation washes me out a little. It appears too pink on my skin. To use this up, I mix it with other foundations. I would say Ivory is suitable for NC20 (IF you're more on the neutral side) and NW20.

Would not repurchase. Hope this helps!

continued >>

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by vickibetty

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I had a dollar off coupon and it was on sale at Shoppers Drugmart for less than $8...any excuse! Its very very very nice! I bought Ivory which matches fair skin really well but that was the lightest colour and I feel that people with even lighter skin might find it a bit too dark. I only used a little blob of it but it covers the redness extremely well, goes on super smoothly and does a good job at covering and not accentuating pores. Its very soft and smooth on, not at all drying, takes a while to set but it does set. It was very slightly dewy which would be gorgeous for you young ones. I covered with a little dab of my new favourite powder-Annabelle CC powder. It looks awesome! Haven't noticed any rubbing off and didn't see any sparkles at all? Highly recommend for the price!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 9:29:00 PM More reviews by Lexchanel

If you are looking for a good foundation for a good price this is it! My wallet was starting to suffer spending nearly $40 for a small bottle of foundation every couple of months so when I found this foundation I was extremely happy! I love how easy it is to blend on my skin - not the best coverage but it's buildable. It is definitely not meant for oily skin because it has a dewy/shinny finish to it. Some people complain about the little sparkles it has in it but it's only noticeable in direct sunlight really close up so it won't look like you just came from a Kesha concert!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by marshiemallow14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm glad I found this foundation. I have fair skin, and I have trouble with foundations oxidizing after 10 minutes. This foundation stays the right colour. I'm using 100 Ivory, and it has stayed light. It did look quite dark when I looked at the foundation initially but when you actually stipple it in it looks great. Makes skin look dewy and fresh. Its fairly minimal coverage which I think it nice if you don't have a lot of spots, or just want something light. I have two complaints for this product though:
1. The foundation has a lot of shimmering sparkles in it. Which is okay but it seems like too much to me.
2. Can't tell if its closed or not, the lid just kind of moves around a lot.
Other than this I really like it, and I recommend it to people who have trouble finding light colors.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2013 4:51:00 PM More reviews by ArmaniJadaXO

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

good foundation with a subtle glow,great for the summer and gives good coverage without looking cakey! would not recommend for oily skin though!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2013 6:07:00 PM More reviews by emmacurtis8

I'm a pale, 14 year old who has combination skin who suffers with acne prone skin and scars. This foundation is great! It leaves a beautiful dewy, glowing finish, easy to apply, smells good and its got shimmer in it! It's great for summer, feels light on the skin and is affordable! I love this so much! The only reason why I didn't give it 5/5 is because it doesn't control the oils on my skin, however I use Rimmel's Stay Matte Powder for that which is another great product!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2013 4:09:00 PM More reviews by LucyB23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I brought this foundation after reading lots of good reviews about it, I always use mac studio sculpt but I was keen to try something new. I am so impressed, I have dry, flaky skin and this gives me a lovely dewy look, has good coverage and stays put all day. The packaging is really nice, it looks much more expensive, it also has a fruity smell. I would highly recommend it!

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by tdawgz

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted to like this foundation so badly because I had heard such great things about it but I hate it so much :( it looks so horrible and cakey, has really bad coverage, and just looked like a really cheap drugstore foundation basically. It doesn't look fresh or dewwy or radiant, it just dries on my skin and looks really bad. I've tried applying this in so many different ways but it just doesn't work for me. And I really don't like the smell of it either, I usually don't care too much about the smell of products but this one just smells like chemicals to me and is way too strong. The packaging is pretty but that's basically the only thing I like about it unfortunatley. Plus I got it in the shade 'Ivory' because I'm fairly pale and it's way too orange on me. I feel horrible saying this but I definitley will not repurchase, it was a waste of money to me. Sorry Rimmel :(

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2013 8:52:00 AM More reviews by stellulah

I tried this foundation after so many people had recommended it on youtube and such and i really like it! It has a really dewey finish so i can imagine if you had particularly oily skin then you may not like it. I quite liked this foundation overall but i'd probably get a lighter shade next time (i got true ivory). However, because i live in Australia, this foundation is $20 not on special so that's a bit high for my liking. Some people said it made them break out but i really didn't notice it doing that to me.

Pro's:
- really easy to blend
- makes my skin look nice

Con's:
- rubs off on things (try setting it with a powder to see if that helps at all)
- slightly too dark (it oxidises a bit i think)
- a little on the pricey side