October 24, 2014 | 881 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Almay - Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by duncan123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm giving this product a middle of the road '3' rating and won't buy again for 2 reasons. 1) There's a lot in the bottle and it's going to outlast my interest in it and 2) It really doesn't seem to do anything. I have yet to find a primer that seems to make any difference in how my makeup wears or how my skin looks....maybe I don't need a primer, lol. Anyway, I purchased this and began using it about a month ago. It's rather pricey for drugstore...I believe it was around $16.00 and I had a $2.00 off coupon. I can't believe more people haven't commented on this, but the bottle is cool! The product is in a helix shape inside the bottle, green and purple. It has a pump dispenser and when you press the pump, you get green and purple evenly distributed. You only need a tiny bit!!! The first time I used this, I pressed all the way down on the pump and got waaaay too much product. It applies nicely, no problems there. Dries quickly. I did NOT smell anything. I know a couple of other people say it smells, but I swear to you that I smell nothing. I guess some people are just more sensitive to smells. I use Covergirl Simply Ageless over this and don't have any problems with my foundation. Has not broken me out at all. I guess I'm basically 'meh' about this product. It's not a bad product, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I'll still use it and will use it until it's gone, but won't repurchase.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2012 8:43:00 AM More reviews by nekqua1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had seen this primer on Almays website and really wanted to try it out. I have oily skin and this primer made my skin super oily. I would be able to feel the oil all over my face and by the end of the day I face would be so shiny. so I will not buy this primer again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by princess101

This primer was purchased on a whim and I'm glad I did. I generally have combo skin (oily tzone and normal cheeks), but during the winter months my cheeks can become dry like the sahara, while my t-zone becomes normal. After using Revlon's new photoready primer the past few weeks my skin has become dry and flakey, and this where Almay's primer has been a miracle worker.
The primer really works more like a moisturizing serum. I applied it over my extremely dry flakey cheeks (hurt too much to exfoliate further) and not only soothed them, but smoothed out the area and created a perfect canvas for my foundation. It also held in the moisture under my longwear foundation, and held up well during an 8 hour day.
Now, I have used this alone and it did even out my skintone but did not take away any redness. I havent seen any brightening effects, but maybe it's something that will occur overtime?
The pump style packaging is great, but the scent...I can't even call it a scent. It has a foul odour that does disipate after a minute or so, but during that minute I am literally holding my breath. I read on a blog that someone described the scent as "corn chips". I would love if mine did!
Price wise, this was expensive for drugstore. It retailed for $16.99 CDN. I took 2 lippies off for cost and scent, but overall a good moisturizing primer for those with drier skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2012 6:28:00 PM More reviews by sdermody

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this a few weeks ago, as I was looking for more of a serum than a cream for my primer, as well as one that could cover redness, and at the same time not irritate my acne or sensitive skin.

All and all I really like it, although it's not as dramatic as I want (let it be noted that I have a very ruddy and uneven complexion, so basically I want a miracle). The texture glides on really well and doesn't really feel like you're wearing anything. I don't know if it really makes that big of a difference that I would feel good enough to wear it alone without foundation though. I believe it does hold my makeup longer and gives me a more even base for either my Almay liquid foundation or Bareminerals powder.So far no breakouts and my skin hardly seems to notice I have an extra layer of stuff on it, so I will definitely repurchase!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2012 8:56:00 PM More reviews by kikibug

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this primer for about a week and a half, and so far I feel like it's a decent primer for correcting redness and sallowness.
I don't use a full pump, as my redness is only on my cheeks. If you use too much, it will be too thick so make sure to use a thin layer!

I did not see a difference when I initially applied this primer, but only AFTER I applied my foundation! I use a light coverage foundation, and the primer did indeed minimize a lot of redness. I've used the MUFE HD primer in green before, and it has the same effect; the redness disappears only after foundation application.

However, this product only receives a 4 because it does not seem to make my makeup last longer. Whereas the MUFE HD primer in green covers redness AND makes my foundation stay on longer, Almay's only helps with redness. But because of its affordability, the product is still a great buy!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No