October 20, 2014 | 1552 users online

Pressed Powders - New York Color - Pressed Translucent Powder

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by taciturnxlove

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday for about 3 dollars at Rite Aid. At first I was scared it would make me look lighter since I'm currently an NC50. But as long as you blend it in the powder in, you won't change color. At first I thought it would be a setting powder for my liquid foundation, but then I found out that it was more of a blotting powder. I put this over my oily forehead and it absorbed the oils. It also helped to keep them away for a little bit, but not for long. But for 2 dollars, this is a good product. I haven't tried it over makeup though, so I'll update when I do.

Pros:
-Good quality
-Dirt Cheap
-Oil-Absorbing
-Comes with a sponge applicator

Cons:
Bad/Ugly Packaging
Bad quality sponge applicator

UPDATE: After dropping this a few times, I had to toss it since the product broke in the pan. Due to crappy packaging, I won't be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2009 12:13:00 PM More reviews by AngelaQoQ

In my opinion, this beats MAC blot powder because it's much more natural and it's dirt cheap . Although it is not as absorbent as MAC BP, it controls oil quite well and looks much less powdery &.stiff on skin. It gives me a flawless soft matte finish. At this price point, I didn't expect it's fine-milled and has such good quality. I'm NC 25 and I use translucent, which I believe is also suitable for fair and light skin because it's almost transparent. It contains a few very basic, no nonsense ingredients that are non-comedogenic. My skin is super acne-prone, but this doesn't break me out. Normally, I just dust it on my face using a powder brush. I couldn't believe I've finished a complete compact because it's very unusual for me to finish a powder completely. Yes, it is true that the package is cheap, but as long as the product itself is good enough, I can forgive that. Not mention that the price is only 1/10 of MAC BP's. Anyway, I purchased another three: one in my office, one at home and one in my purse. Great find on MUA!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2009 7:02:00 PM More reviews by i_heart_ck_ls_of_nb

This is my HG touch-up powder! After using this powder, I look fresh, the oil on my t-zone has vanished, and I don't look cakey at all!
I only wear concealer to cover any blemishes and powder to hide my oiliness, and with this product, I think that's all I'm going to need :)

Update: They stopped carrying this where I live, they only sell it in "silky beige" now, so I've started using Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Transparent. (I've already written a review on it :))
I must say, my new HG beats this by at least a million miles! This NYC powder is now going down to 3 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2009 4:51:00 PM More reviews by GoldenVenissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a pressed powder to wear either alone (w/ concealer) or as a setting powder for my liquid foundation. I have dry, dry skin so I find many powder make me skin look and feel even drier and can accent the very fine lines I naturally have.

I purchased this for $2.57 CAD at WalMart, after being recommended it on the MU board. I'm glad they did. It has a nice, light texture to it and did not appear powdery or cakey.

It has little fragrance, which was a nice surprise. I did not have any issues with the packaging, however, I did toss the pink sponge out.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2009 10:53:00 PM More reviews by aterrebonne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I've used this pressed powder in translucent for about three years now. It is awesome! I've heard that it is comparable to MAC Blot powder, but I have never tried the Blot powder, so I can't compare the two.

Here is what I do know...this product works. It never looks cakey. I use it all throughout the day and it always makes my face look fresh. Oh, I live in South Louisiana, too. So, that says something about the effectiveness of this product right there! Also, it is cheap! I think it is about two bucks at CVS. Great price for something that works this well.

The packaging is crap. I guess we can't be too picky for something that only cost two bucks. Also, the applicator that comes with it is worthless. Do yourself a big favor and toss it as soon as possible and get yourself some of those flocked sponges that they sell at CVS or any other drugstore.

All in all, this powder is wonderful and I have and will continue to purchase it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was told that I wouldn't be too dark for this. I am NC40-42 and it left a white, noticeable residue on me. I tried applying it very lightly with a stippling/skunk brush and there was still a noticeable light caste. It helps keep the oilies away but it is NOT truly transluscent. I can see it working on much lighter toned gals but if you are tanned then please skip this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 8:03:00 PM More reviews by marymuffet

I just found out that N.Y.C. changed the formula. I haven't tried the newer version but I really like the old version especially for the price. I thought the powder does a great job in making my pores look a tad bit smaller.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2009 6:59:00 PM More reviews by aeaeae7

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this stuff. I don't use it daily, and I'm not much of a powder person, but this stuff is everyone else says it is and more. Although it isn't completely tranluscent, it works well to lighten slightly dark foundations, which is kind of what I use it for, and to set my concealer. I also find it gives a little bit of coverage. I love this stuff.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Popcornshrimp

This does what its suppose to do quite well. Keeps oil at bay and has a nice finish. However, this is NOT transparent. I'm a peach color but this goes on white so I look like vampire out of Twilight when I put it on over bare skin. Good thing my foundation is a shade too dark so this makes it pretty close to my skin color. If you arn't white as a ghost, I would probs go with an actual color rather than this. I will repurchase, but in a color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 6:40:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Just bought a back up of this as I found some in a chemist that miraculously were untested and still had the multi-coloured NYC logo. This is a great, cheap pressed powder. I don't use it in my daily routine but keep it in my bag for touchups and to blot. Works well at evening out skintone if you get hot and blotchy, as I have on occasion on a night out! Applies evenly, not cakey at all, and doesn't give you that powdery look. A fantastic quality bargain.