New York Color Pressed Translucent Powder

Price: $

Price: $

Talc/Dimethicone/Kaolin/Zinc Stearate/Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate/Cetyl Dimethicone/Imidazolidinyl Urea/Methylparaben/Ethylparaben/Propylparaben/Butylparaben/Isobutylparaben. May Contain Mica/Iron Oxides/Titanium Dioxide

on 10/12/2009 3:37:00 PM

If this worked half as well for me as it has for others, I'd be thrilled to recommend it at only 2.99 - unfortunately, this was a complete tosser. Others have already commented on the cheap packaging so I won't bother - except to say my expectations were managed by the price. My all-time favorite is MAC blot, in medium-dark. [It has little to no colour payoff and runs very light.] NYC pressed in Translucent wasn't in the same league as Blot - it sat on top of my skin leaving a dusty, white-ish powder finish that looked like I'd set my face with baby powder. Very unimpressive. I didn't wear it long enough to test for shine control because the finish was just so chalky and unattractive on me. Oh well, sorry to drag down the high ratings but I really can't find any redeeming qualities in this.

on 10/4/2009 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I saw a review on youtube so i had to try it

It absorbs oil very nicely, and it doesnt leave me looking ashy like I thought translucent powder THIS LIGHT would have. I got this on sale at Rexall/Pharma plus in Canada for under $3

amazing yes i will continue to purchase this

on 10/2/2009 7:43:00 PM

this stuff makes me ashamed for buying high end powders! first of all i have normal/combination skin. the only thing i use powder for is for blotting, mostly t-zone. and for $2.74+tax at Target, this stuff is a steal! i looked at the ingredients before i bought it because sometimes i'm paranoid about cheaper brand putting random crap and this powder has almost identical ingredients to MAC Blot Powder! for a fraction of the price! and the translucent is very similar to mac blot powder in light. to me the powder isn't totally translucent when you apply it with a sponge. you can kinda see a light cast on the skin but once it's settled, it's fine. you don't see it at all. i found that applying with a brush is the best. it didn't leave a cast at all. i haven't broken out from it yet. but i did find that when i first opened it, it smelled kinda like nail polish which was gross. but after i used it a few more times, the smell was gone. i think the smell was just on the top layer or from the packaging. it works really well at controlling oil. the sponge it comes with is crap. i tossed it. the compact it comes in is crap too. it's a folded over plastic compact. it doesn't have a hinge closure so i find that the sides don't completely meet when it's closed so the powder can potentially make a mess in your purse. so what i did was i depanned it and popped it into my empty stila powder compact. depanning it was a total pain! mostly because, most drug store brand powders don't have a hole on the bottom of the compact for you to pop the pan out. so i tried just flexing the plastic to try to pop it out(the compact plastic is a little flexible) but i just got frustrated with it so... this sounds a little crazy and like a lot of work just to depan, but i took a utility knife to the back of the compact. and cut off enough plastic to get to the pan and pop it out. overall, i would buy this again. it's soo cheap and does the same thing as the high end brands. and you can always depan it from the crappy compact.

EDIT: it tends to sit in lines and cake up. i wouldn't buy it again.

on 9/2/2009 12:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Not bad forb $2 bucks. Amost as good as the expensive stuff! This powder will give you a slight cast and can't keep all the oilie away. At this point Mac's Blot Powder or LM are still my favorite powders!

on 8/29/2009 9:42:00 PM

is very good at controlling oil and very translucent. very plesant purchase will buy again!

on 8/22/2009 4:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

This works really well; better than what I expected. I put it over my foundation and it controls my oily skin for hours. I have tan skin and this does not make it look white or chalky, it just blends into the color of my foundation. I do not use the cheap sponge it comes with but I use a kabuki brush or a powder brush. This is such a great value; why buy more expensive brands when you don't have to.

on 8/19/2009 10:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I bought this yesterday for about 3 dollars at Rite Aid. At first I was scared it would make me look lighter since I'm currently an NC50. But as long as you blend it in the powder in, you won't change color. At first I thought it would be a setting powder for my liquid foundation, but then I found out that it was more of a blotting powder. I put this over my oily forehead and it absorbed the oils. It also helped to keep them away for a little bit, but not for long. But for 2 dollars, this is a good product. I haven't tried it over makeup though, so I'll update when I do.

Pros:
-Good quality
-Dirt Cheap
-Oil-Absorbing
-Comes with a sponge applicator

Cons:
Bad/Ugly Packaging
Bad quality sponge applicator

UPDATE: After dropping this a few times, I had to toss it since the product broke in the pan. Due to crappy packaging, I won't be repurchasing.

on 8/10/2009 12:13:00 PM

In my opinion, this beats MAC blot powder because it's much more natural and it's dirt cheap . Although it is not as absorbent as MAC BP, it controls oil quite well and looks much less powdery &.stiff on skin. It gives me a flawless soft matte finish. At this price point, I didn't expect it's fine-milled and has such good quality. I'm NC 25 and I use translucent, which I believe is also suitable for fair and light skin because it's almost transparent. It contains a few very basic, no nonsense ingredients that are non-comedogenic. My skin is super acne-prone, but this doesn't break me out. Normally, I just dust it on my face using a powder brush. I couldn't believe I've finished a complete compact because it's very unusual for me to finish a powder completely. Yes, it is true that the package is cheap, but as long as the product itself is good enough, I can forgive that. Not mention that the price is only 1/10 of MAC BP's. Anyway, I purchased another three: one in my office, one at home and one in my purse. Great find on MUA!

This is my HG touch-up powder! After using this powder, I look fresh, the oil on my t-zone has vanished, and I don't look cakey at all!
I only wear concealer to cover any blemishes and powder to hide my oiliness, and with this product, I think that's all I'm going to need :)

Update: They stopped carrying this where I live, they only sell it in "silky beige" now, so I've started using Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder in Transparent. (I've already written a review on it :))
I must say, my new HG beats this by at least a million miles! This NYC powder is now going down to 3 lippies.

I've been looking for a pressed powder to wear either alone (w/ concealer) or as a setting powder for my liquid foundation. I have dry, dry skin so I find many powder make me skin look and feel even drier and can accent the very fine lines I naturally have.

I purchased this for $2.57 CAD at WalMart, after being recommended it on the MU board. I'm glad they did. It has a nice, light texture to it and did not appear powdery or cakey.

It has little fragrance, which was a nice surprise. I did not have any issues with the packaging, however, I did toss the pink sponge out.