September 22, 2014 | 1869 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Brush Collection - Eyes Starter Set

rated 4 of 5 on 11/11/2011 7:18:00 AM More reviews by kocoannie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In the future if I had money to burn I would most likely buy another set. Particulary for the base shadow brush, deluxe crease brush and accent brush. These three brushes help for an effortless application for mediocre makeup appliers such as myself. The momet I used each of these brushes I felt confident and have noticed imrpovment with my application.
I'm not entirely confident with the pixel point brush - If I want to do fine eyelining this brush is not for me. I did try to use it as a lip brush but gave up on the idea.
The brow brush is very useful and helps apply smoothly and powder or liquid to the brow leaving a soft natural look with the right hand.
All brushes are supersoft and the handles of the brushes make them lightweight and easy to hold. The case that they come in looks like it will be god-sent when travelling to keep your brushes protected and clean!
Currently you can only buy these brushes online and I think that they are at a very affordable price. The creator also has on their website lots of tutorials on how to use the brushes which I think is a really fantastic, touching idea and very encouraging.
Overall I am very impressed with this set!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2011 8:35:00 PM More reviews by glitzypink

I bought these brushes because I'm going to be doing my own makeup for my wedding. I wanted brushes that were reasonable, multi-tasking, easy to clean/maintain, and cute looking (just a perk!). I have to say I got everything I wanted and more with these brushes! The easiest way is to address each separately:

Deluxe crease brush: This brush might be big for some people's crease, but the beauty of this entire collection is that you can switch/swap and be creative! This brush does a great job blending all over the lid, in the crease, and highlighting under the brow bone.

Base shadow brush: I think I use this brush the most. From all over the lid, the crease, or the outer "v", this brush does it all! It's angled cut gives precision but is fluffy enough to blend any eyeshadow.

Accent brush: This brush is good for applying shadow to the upper/lower lashline and putting a highlight color in the inner corner. I also use it for smudging glitter eyeliner.

Pixel point eyeliner brush: I don't have any gel eyeliner, but I use this brush for smudging my regular eyeliner. I find it works better than the built-in smudger.

Brow brush: I've used this brush for applying shadow to the upper/lower lashline, I don't put any "brow" makeup on, but I like to use it (clean) just to neaten up my brows and comb through them.

Overall, I'm so pleased with my purchase and would highly recommend them if you don't want to spend a ton on a versatile set of brushes!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/27/2011 8:58:00 AM More reviews by HappyHooker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Now this set I'm really disappointed in. The brow brush and the eyeliner brush are both practically useless. The depositor is just ok for a sheer wash of color (there are better inexpensive brushes out there for this) or for spreading a thin layer of a cream product on the lids, and the crease brush? I'm pretty sure that it was made for someone with eyes the size of that Kathy Wakile on RHONJ. Don't plan on getting inside the crease with this one. This set was not created with precision in mind. I do like the detail brush but I could absolutely live without it. I like the handles on these brushes (didn't mention this in my Core Collection review) but they are a major PITA to get back into the case that they come with. I threw those stupid cases away. All in all I LOVE Pixiwoo but I am not a fan of these brushes. If you want good vegan brushes, spend the extra money and go for Cozzette. You will not be disappointed.***EDIT*** I'm updating this review because I now use these brushes ALL THE TIME with the exception fo the eyeliner brush which I still believe is useless or at least I have not found a use for it yet. I use the huge crease brush for blending, the blending brush for blending the concealer under my eyes and the brow brush for applying/smoking out shadows around my eyes as liner and the detail brush for brightening up the inner corner of my eye or applying highlight to my cupid's bow. I now LOVE this set and use it probaly every day, so it's been a great value for me.

6 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 3:26:00 AM More reviews by GuerlainAds

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Sorry to ruin the perfect 5.0 rating but I've had this set for 2 months now and really regret my purchase.

First, let me say that I have tiny monolids with no crease so most eyeshadows brushes are too large for my eyes. These e/s brushes are unusual in proportions and sizes and I found most of them kind of useless. I was only able to use 2 of the brushes, hence my rating of 2 for the set.

The Deluxe Crease brush is HUGE. I was only able to use it for blending.

The Brow brush was not stiff enough and it was too thick to use as an eyeliner brush. Pretty much useless.

The Eyeliner brush is weird too. It's a stiff, very long point and did not apply eyeliner with any precision. Someone suggested using it as a concealer brush so that is what I use it for: a spare concealer brush . . . . when my 12 other concealer brushes are all dirty. I also use the other Eyeshadow brush as a spare concealer brush also since it's too big for my eyes. Wow, that's a lot of extra concealer brushes I am getting with this set. Did I mention that I already have 12 concealer brushes already? continued >>

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2011 7:57:00 PM More reviews by shiningshdw

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Great quality. They don't shed. I have to admit the white tips kind of bug me since they make your brush seem dirty really fast, which makes me wash my brushes more often. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. But through all the washing, I've had no problems with shedding or anything.
Super soft and easy to use.
The eyeliner brush is a little thick, but still nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2011 6:53:00 AM More reviews by MariellaFromBe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Generally speaking, all Real Techniques brushes are really soft, they don't shed at all, they're not smelly or anything and they kept their shape after I washed them with warm water and Marseille soap like I do for all my brushes. All brushes are made of Tacklon and are cruelty-free, which is great.The color of the handle indicates the use of the brush: eye brushes are purple, yellow ones are for face and pink ones are 'finishing' brushes. The whole name of the brush is written on the handle, so it's really helpful for beginners.I also like that all brushes have a flat end to their handles so they can stand on it.

This one comes with a little poach that is very useful for travelling and can also double up as a holder. I think this is great for beginners, particularly as this whole set is excellent value for money at £18.99/ USD 15.99

The brushes coming in this set are:
-Base shadow brush: this one is a wide flat shader brush that works great to apply a wash of color on the whole lid. I find it takes less pigment than an Mac 239 but it's a very nice shader brush.
-Deluxe crease brush: I love this one, it's round and quite big, I love it for applying crease color and blending it at the same time, or for blending the edges of my crease color into my brow-bone color.
-Accent brush: this one is very nice for detailed work like under the lower lash-line. I absolutely love it as I didn't own any kind of smudger brush before and I love how precise this one is.
-Brow brush: is an angled brush to define the brows - probably too wide to be used as a liner brush I'd say, but it's not what it's meant to be.
-Pixel-point eyeliner brush: I must be honest I haven't tried this one with gel liner yet as I like my Mac 210 so much and this one is quite different. But if you want to use eyeshadow rather then liquid or gel liner, this is great.

I just regret there's no dupe for the Mac 217, but this is definitely a great set and if you are a beginner, this contains everything you need to start practising with quality tools!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2011 12:58:00 AM More reviews by GiaMagro

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The best eye brushes I've ever used! If you are on a budget buy these. They are easy to clean and dry fast using MAC brush cleaner. I would buy these over and over again.

Deluxe Crease Brush - Similar to Sonia Kashuk Dome e/s brush, but better (the reason, synthetic bristles). This one is easier to clean after using cream and liquid concealers. It's also amazing at blending out the edges for eyeshadow.

Base Shadow Brush - It's the all purpose blending brush and packs on color. It's like having a MAC 239 and 224 in one.

Accent Brush - It's great at smudging eyeliner (top/bottom), eyeshadow and placing highlighter in the inner corner of the eyes.

Pixel Pointed Eyeliner - Don't let this brush scare you. I was shocked how easy it was use with gel eyeliner (especially cat eye look). You can also use to place eyeshadow on the lash line.

Brow Brush - Pro: It feels soft. It does the job of packing on the color. Con: It's thick. If you are looking for a more precise line, buy the Eco Tools Angle Liner Brush.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2011 11:52:00 AM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I’ve been using the brushes in the Eyes Starter Set for a number of weeks now and I am very happy with the set overall. I’ve sampled all of the RT brushes and my favorites are the stippling brush (I own two of these), the blush brush, the core collection, and this eyes starter kit. I love collecting and trying inexpensive “low end” makeup brushes—my habit doesn’t break the bank and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety available for just a few bucks.

Pros:
-Synthetic bristles
-Extremely soft
-Wash and dry well
-No shedding

Cons:
-Name and purpose descriptions. I recommend keeping an open mind—obviously, you don’t have to use the brush only for the purpose stated.
-A couple of these brushes are not “typical” so if this will be your only set of eye brushes, you may be disappointed by the lack of a precision (fine line) eyeliner or brow brush. If however, you are looking for some variety to traditional brushes, then this is a great set to add to your collection.

-Deluxe Crease Brush – Love, love, love this brush! I’d buy this set for this brush alone. It’s called a “crease brush” but I find it way too big and dense for doing detailed crease work. It is, however, extremely effective at blending out the crease and softening harsh shadow lines. Also great for laying down a base shadow. The shape reminds me of a similar Sonia Kashuk “domed” eye shadow brush, but the RT brush is much softer. The best way to describe this brush is that it’s like a mini-buffing brush for the eyes. I’m constantly finding new uses for it, like using it to buff in my cream-to-powder Sephora concealer. Oh, and did I mention that I love this brush? I wish it were sold individually. I could use a couple more.

-Base Shadow Brush – This is a great, versatile brush. Ideal for laying down eye shadow all over the lid as the name implies, but also great for controlled crease blending since the bristles taper. In many ways, this brush is really more like a “crease” brush than the misnamed “Deluxe Crease Brush” above. The soft, long tapered bristles also make it a good candidate for applying and blending concealer.

-Brow Brush – I have full eyebrows, so I don’t often use a brow brush. Besides, I find this brush a little too wide and thick for using on my brows. I don’t think this would be ideal for precise brow work, but it would be good for a softer look. This brush also works as an eyeliner brush for applying gel liners. However, you will get a thicker line because the brush itself is on the thicker side. Having said all that, I personally love using this as a *lip* brush. I have fuller lips and the width of this brush matches the widest point on both of my upper and lower lips. The wide, thick, flexible bristles allow me to fill my lips in quickly but precisely. I have some very strongly pigmented lipsticks that look overpowering when applied directly from the tube, but when I use this brush, I get a beautifully blended, soft, even distribution of color all over my lips. This is now my HG lip brush.

-Accent Brush - This is a the perfect size for smudging liner around the eyes, for putting color on the inner corners, and for precise application of crease color. A good, all-around, small precision brush.

-Pixel Point Eyeliner Brush – The name of this brush is obviously misleading. It’s much thicker than most eyeliner brushes and I don’t see how you can get a thin, “pixel point” line with this. However, if you like a thicker line (like I do) then this is a very usable brush. I use this in combination with my Sonia Kashuk Pointed Eyeliner brush to thicken out the line on my outer corner. I also use this regularly as a smudge brush—the shape lends itself to precision smudging or to applying shadow under the lower lashes. This brush also works really well for lining lips.

-Brush Case – As I mentioned in my review of the Core Collection, this case is the perfect solution for drying all of my makeup brushes upside down to prevent water from dripping into the ferrule. I used to put off washing my brushes because it was a chore laying them out to dry. Now I wash a few brushes as needed, put them in this case, stand them out of the way on my dresser, and I’ve got clean brushes ready to go in just a few hours. Because the case has cardboard inside, you can easily maneuver it to stand up as required. An unexpected bonus. :)

So are these brushes comparable to MAC? That's a matter of opinion, but it seems unfair to compare a $5 brush to a $20 brush. The RT brushes don’t have the look and weight of high-end brushes, but I certainly find these just as good in performance as some of the high-end synthetic brushes I’ve tried. The price is fabulous (5 brushes for $15.99) and the quality excellent. I love that these brushes can be had by all and not just an exclusive few. Highly recommend!

25 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No