September 3, 2014 | 1042 users online

Hair Treatments - John Frieda - Go Blonder Lightening Spray

rated 1 of 5 on 2/24/2012 12:50:00 AM More reviews by skylarkmelody

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product was more damaging to my hair than chemotherapy. When I had chemo in 2009 and 2010 about a quarter of my hair fell out from the root, and the rest became slightly less lustrous. Fortunately, six months after going into remission my hair was healthy, shiny, and growing in steadily. Unfortunately, I then made the poor decision to use this product when my suite mate gave me her extra bottle. I have naturally blonde hair, but it had been growing back in slightly darker in some areas after chemo. At first I thought this product was fabulous because it gave my hair a gorgeous golden hue. I began to notice that my hair was becoming thin and fragile again about three months after using this spray on a weekly basis. More hair than normal was falling out when I brushed it, and I'd wake up and see strands on my pillow. I normally don't blow-dry my hair during the week unless I'm going somewhere special, like I was on Valentine's Day. I was horrified when a ten-inch strand of hair broke off about two inches above the root line as I was getting ready that night. This hair is right at the front of my head. I already knew this product was the culprit, and my hair stylist confirmed it and said I was certainly not the only one who'd had the same upsetting experience. Another client had such severe damage she had to cut her long hair into a bob.

I thought I'd been using this product prudently, but that's basically like only having poison once a week. It's still going to cause damage. I only used it sparingly and I baby my hair with organic, nourishing shampoos and conditioners. I don't use heating tools, and I only blow-dry my hair on the weekends. Considering that this product was responsible for more damage to my hair than eight cycles of chemotherapy, I'd have to give it the dubious distinction of being the single worst product I've ever used.

Please avoid this product. I wonder if all the people who gave it glowing reviews wrote them during their first few weeks of using the product before it had the time to cause substantial damage.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by ashleighlynn

This spray IS very drying as has been mentioned in previous comments...the results I've gotten colourwise, however, have been wonderful. I went to my stylist looking to go lighter (i have naturally dirty blonde/light brown with red undertones) and he suggested I just do all over highlights. I ended up hating them! I started using this product to blend my highlights better and to get an overall lighter look. It did exactly that. It is recommended to be used with heat so I always use a thermal protectant after applying, and then use argan oil. My hair has been fine after using conditioning products. Overall, I will continue buying this. It's a great way to touch up roots or blend out stripey highlights.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/16/2012 9:54:00 AM More reviews by allieandea

I have dark blonde hair naturally, and very light highlights all over. I bought this product in the hopes of lightening my roots, giving me some extra time before needing a trip to the salon. Originally I read RAVE reviews on how awesome this product is. This did lighten my roots, but gave them a brassy hue. I'm not too sure how I'm going to fix this. I'm going to try purple shampoo toners, and if that doesn't work- a professional appointment. After doing the damage to my hair, I read some awful reviews that this product breaks hair, dries it out, and ruin your colouring at your next appointment. I'm very upset, I'M NEVER USING THIS SPRAY AGAIN, its really not worth it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/12/2012 5:38:00 PM More reviews by LilyBE

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ladies, heed the warnings about hair loss. I was thrilled with the great lightening this product did for my hair. Until 2 months later it started falling out in clumps in the kitchen sink. My once very thick hair became thin all over. It's been a month since I stopped using JF and I have new hair growth, thank God. After talking to some friends, the same thing happened to them also. It may not happen to you, but why risk it?

rated 3 of 5 on 1/21/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by Puppytime

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Ive dyed my hair many times in the past, had a full weave of highlights, dyed over that, then used this to lighten it up, used 3 bottles, this lighted it slightly,then got more highlights over it, no damage whatsoever, so It depends on a persons hair whether or not this will damage your hair or not.It didnt do me much damage at all (even when I used it with a flat iron every single time) But it didnt lighten it enough either.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2012 6:33:00 PM More reviews by Leila03

DO NOT USE THIS!!!! This product RUINED my hair!! I have been highlighting my hair for four years now, and I have never, ever had damaged hair like I do now. Money has been tight, so I thought I could extend my coloring sessions with this product. I first, like many others, I loved it. It lightened my base and I could go longer in between highlighting. It seemed like a miracle product. WRONG!!! After weeks of consecutive use, I noticed that my hair was fried. I many fried. My hair is now broken off in CHUNKS all around the top of my head. I know it was this product for sure because that is the only area I sprayed this product. My friend also used this product and experience similar results.

Bottom line... Do not use this! It should be taken off the market immediately. Now I just have to wait for my hair to grow back, which is going to take forever. If I could take back anything, it would by buying and using this horrible, horrible product.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2012 11:02:00 AM More reviews by Lanie805

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

BUYER BEWARE! I bought this a few months ago and was skeptical, but because I trust John Frieda products, I gave it a try. After the first few uses it did lighten my hair which I loved. After about 5 uses (over a few weeks. I didn't use this daily) my hair became knotty, would split IN HALF and had a sticky texture. It was painful to even dry my hair because CHUNKS of my hair would break off mid-brush. I know it is because of this product because I didn't use it all over my entire head. I only used it in specific spots toward the front, and that's exactly where my hair is now damaged beyond repair. I haven't used it in about two weeks, and even yesterday as I was blow drying my hair, literally a handful of broken strands were stuck in my brush bristles before my hair was half-way dry. It's a mess! Now I can't even wear my hair down because I have sections of my top layer, 2-3inches sticking straight up in the air unless I use a ton of hairspray to hold it down. I'm so disappointed and will be telling my hair-dresser to warn other clients about what a disaster this is! :-( *****ALSO: Take a look at the two pictures I uploaded. One shows the breakage about 2-3 inches from the root. The other shows PIECES, not whole strands, of hair that fell out from brushing it yesterday. Notice how its tiny little sections of damaged, broken hair, not whole strands that fall out naturally. THIS SPRAY IS A TRAIN WRECK!!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/2/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by AmyCarys23

I previously died my hair from mousey blonde to light blonde and I get it highlighted every 8 weeks. At first I was really impressed with this product as it was making my hair lighter after 3/4 uses. My roots were visibly lighter! But after about 5/6 uses my hair started becoming almost ginger and felt really thin and damaged. I continued using it to see if it would improve and it didn't, my hair just gradually became thinner and looked like it was unhealthy with heat, when infact i rarely use heat on my hair. I wouldn't recommend this product, and If you did happen to buy it id use it gradually and be careful of signs of your hair thinning.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by ellenicole16

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I really love this stuff! I've used it about four times, and already it has lightened my hair significantly, to the point where people have asked if I've dyed it. I don't find that it breaks my hair or is any more damaging than a hair dye would be. Just be sure to use plenty of conditioner when you wash your hair, and I like to use a nourishing hair creme for my ends too, just to make sure I don't get any breakage. But again, haven't seen any thus far because of this product.
While my hair does have a warm undertone to it, I don't find that this product has turned my hair ginger. Just a nice, warm, lightening effect. For reference, before I began using this my hair was light brown with blonde highlights.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/6/2011 5:42:00 PM More reviews by laurennic

I started using this spray to lighten my roots, and was impressed that it did infact make them blonder. my hairdresser warned me not to use this product as she said the build up of bleach can be very damaging, and she had seen bad results before. I did not listen to her. I carried on using it and now my hair is so dry and snapping of at the roots. Apricotcloud! I think you are wrong to tell people not to listen to bad revies. It is not just about the conditioner you use. I have had my hair professionally bleached for the last 10 years, I have never suffered from dry or damaged hair. I always buy expensive professional shampoos and conditioners and alway ensure the are moisturising products, in order to stop my hair from drying out. I also do not over use hair straighteners, I have naturally very straight hair so do not need to. I only ever use hair curlers when I am going on a night out, so maybe once a week. I can assure you it is this product that has damaged my hair. I now have not been able to have my hair coloured professionally for months due to the damage and have tried every tip going, sleeping with conditioner in my hair, using olive oil on my hair, nothing has repaired it, i simply have to wait for it to grown out. I have now booked an appointment to have my near waist length hair cut to my shoulders. To me this is devastating, I may sound sad, but I love my hair, and have been growing it for years, and now I have ruined it with this spray. 3 of my friends have used this product, and all with previously healthy hair, are now suffering from the same problems, it is not a one off. I hope people do not read this and think they'll be the exception. Thats what I thought, and now I regret ever using the product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No