December 21, 2014 | 1659 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2011 3:40:00 PM More reviews by qtinmpls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Why oh why did Shiseido discontinue the previous mascara base formula? That was a HG product for me and this new version does not even compare. The new one doesn't hold a curl for me and really I saw no benefits to using it. I thought the "nourishing" factor would at least help with lash fallout and provide conditioning, but I didn't notice a difference with that either. I still saw more lashes falling out when removing my eye makeup. What an overall disappointment. I hope Shiseido decides to bring back the other formulation.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2011 5:12:00 PM More reviews by 1angel1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The new one is fantastic. Love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/4/2011 4:50:00 PM More reviews by tam23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I still miss the old shiseido mascara base.There was nothing wrong with the old formula so I have no idea why they changed it.The new formula does hold a curl well but does not thicken like the old formula. I've tried other primers but they never held a curl.I have no choice but to stick with this one for now.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2011 12:30:00 PM More reviews by olyaspb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I like the new version as much as the old one (which is discontinued). The new base is thicker and if I may say so - stickier:) It also has a very strange smell comparing to the old one, but I think it's just my personal issue with this product:) It really helps to lengthen the lashes, it keeps them curved. The only bad thing about this product in my opinion is that it's more difficult to rinse off a mascara when mascara is applied on this primer. I use Chanel Exceptionnel and YSL Singulier. When I apply them on Lancome lash primer, it's much easier to take them off at the end of the day. But maybe it's another side of good quality:) Overall, a good product, will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by treedotcom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara base is nothing like the old one...the old one was my HG along with the Lasting Lift Mascara (the only non-waterproof mascara that held my curled lashes...)...this new base with the Lasting Lift just falls flat. the base does not go on evenly, thus the mascara doesn't go on evenly. It gets super clumpy, super fast. I have been using Shiseido products for a long time and I noticed that they always seem to discontinue their best products and replace them with "new formulas" that are terrible...why?!!?1?!?! Now I have to find a new base + mascara....

8/4/2013 Update: After using up this first tube, I bought it again as I was unable to find a good replacement. Also, a friend tipped me off that unlike the old formula, this one was meant to be applied while wet. This tip totally turned the product around for me. Make sure you put on your mascara right after applying the base on both lashes. I use this with a discontinued Shiseido mascara and I love it! I've been using this base for years now. Changing this to 5 stars!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2011 11:11:00 PM More reviews by wink89

boooowhoooo:( ....my lashes will never look the same again. This new formulation is nothing like the old one. Sooo disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

What I really like about this mascara is the clean and non-brittle coating it gives to my lashes (I never seen such a clean and well defined effect on my lashes). But this stuff, when applied to my lashes, comes out completely white, so it really is only a mascara base designed to go underneath another mascara, and for 20 quid that makes this expensive- as you have to shell out for a regular mascara aswell! Also, after its dried and set it makes my lashes look very hard, stiff and unnatural (not in a good way). I prefer a full, fluffy and soft lash effect. And this mascara separates the lashes a little too much for my liking. So overall, I'm glad I tried it, and I wouldn't put people off trying it, but I personally won't be buying it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 12:17:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

I really don't see the point of this primer. It does not thicken or lengthen my lashes, nor does it noticeably condition them. I have not tested it for long-term results, so I have not graded it a "1" yet. The Lancome version is not perfect, but is much more effective. This is a thin gel, vs. Lancome's thicker cream. I do not recommend this, as it does not add anything that would justify the extra cost and use of an additional product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Aniger86

LOVE this stuff!! I have been a faithful user of the old formula for a long time, it was the best base I had ever used, comparing amongst other mascara bases, but not really my HG though, the best when comparing it against others but somehow just less than what I expected in my HG base. Nevertheless, I was devastated when they discontinued and went into panic mood. I decided to give the new formula a go anyhow, expecting it to totally fail in living up to the standards of the first one because in one glance, the formula looks so different. The old one had more of a solid texture to the base, whereas the new one look much more liquidy. I had serious doubt that it would hold a curl well. Lo and behold though, when I used the new formula, it was even better than the first one, I was really surprised. It held a curl very well (the old one did an ok job, but this one really outperformed), and made even lousy mascaras that I hated look good. However, don't count on it thickening lashes, it holds a curl very well, and lengthens well too, but the thickening part is quite lacking. Not a problem for me though, because curl power and lengthening are most important for me. Really really like this base, and am super glad I got it, as exaggerated as it sounds, I can't imagine life without it now!

Update- 9 months on, I'm still loving this product and am still using the same exact first tube I bought, it hasen't run out yet, and I'm a five day a week user!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by lovesyndrome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so sad when I saw that the original formula was discontinued. I never understood why companies always seem to discontinue or change their best products, and I wasn't liking that some people had said this was not as good as the original. I ran out of my first tube though, so I just had to go out and try this one. I was not disappointed though.

Normally, I really like fat brushes, but I actually do like this skinner brush better. I feel like the bristles are positioned well to grab every lash. Also, the formula is smoother and thinner, which I thought I wouldn't like because I thought it wouldn't build up my lashes well, but it does make it very easy to apply. It just glides onto your lashes. As for building up my lashes to add length and volume, I can't tell the difference between the old one and new one. I actually have been still using the very, very last bits of products I have in my old tube, and yesterday, I put on the new one, and I feel like my lashes looked better and less clumpy than they did the day before (using the same mascara over it). I can't tell if it's because my old is tube, well, old now, or if the new one does just work better because the product is smoother and the brush is thinner. As for staying power, they work the same. My mascara still stays on 'til the end of the day, even when I sweat from exercise. Overall, I still really like the product, it is worth getting the new one, I think I'm just hesistant to loveee it because I'm nostalgic for the good old things.