Shiseido Nourishing Mascara Base

4.3

C11-12 Isoparaffin, Dextrin Palmitate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isododecane, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polyethylene, Macadamia Seed Oil Polyglyceryl-6 Esters Behenate, Butylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Sucrose Tetraisostearate, Peg-20 Hydrogenated Castor Oil Triisostearate, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Arginine, Nylon-12, Ultramarines (Ci 77007), Tocopherol, Zinc Oxide (Ci 77947), Polysilicone-2, Silica, Bht.

on 4/20/2011 4:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Cool

Shiseido was the first mascara base brand that I had. I have strayed - and tried different brands afterwards, but always - ALWAYS return to this one. Apparently they revamp the formula and lots of people prefer the old one than the new one. But me -I don't mind either way, really. Both are very good - and the best mascara base there is. The older formula is thicker, and the new one is lighter - but that's about it. Staying power, awesomeness - remain unchanged. My favorite part of this mascara base is the fact that it is clear (looks milky white on the brush, but when you apply it goes on transparent). Definitely my HG!

on 4/10/2011 11:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is my holy grail lash primer!! This is a clear lash primer that helps me keep my lashes curled and looking good. I use this with the dior mascaras iconic and extase, and it makes me look like I wear fake lashes in the best way possible. I will definitely repurchase when I run out!!

on 4/7/2011 6:50:00 PM

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Bought this after finished the old formula. Must say that the old formula is WAYYYYY better than this one! I feel that the old one thickens a lot more than this, but still, the Nourishing Mascara Base does do what it claims to. It protects your eyelashes, it still holds the curl, but just doesn't thickens as much. Why did they discontinue the old formula!? Still be getting this one tho I guess, can't find any that's better. It's not bad, just not as good as the old formula.

on 4/6/2011 7:45:00 PM

I don't really notice a difference between the old and new formula. The new ones still holds the curl very well. I will continue to use it. It this be a stable for Asian girls who wear mascara.

on 3/26/2011 9:01:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Just get this. I used the original for many years, ran out a month ago, then discovered it was discontinued. I read the reviews and was hesitant to purchase it, but I'm very glad i did. My mascara smudges and my lashes look awful without this. I used to use 2000 calorie mascara with it and the combination was incredible...I'm happy to say that CV lash blash (orange tube) and this together makes my lashes thick, curled, long and free of smudges. It's worth the cost...I'm raving about it. Really.

on 3/23/2011 3:40:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Why oh why did Shiseido discontinue the previous mascara base formula? That was a HG product for me and this new version does not even compare. The new one doesn't hold a curl for me and really I saw no benefits to using it. I thought the "nourishing" factor would at least help with lash fallout and provide conditioning, but I didn't notice a difference with that either. I still saw more lashes falling out when removing my eye makeup. What an overall disappointment. I hope Shiseido decides to bring back the other formulation.

on 3/4/2011 5:12:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The new one is fantastic. Love it!

on 3/4/2011 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I still miss the old shiseido mascara base.There was nothing wrong with the old formula so I have no idea why they changed it.The new formula does hold a curl well but does not thicken like the old formula. I've tried other primers but they never held a curl.I have no choice but to stick with this one for now.

on 2/28/2011 12:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like the new version as much as the old one (which is discontinued). The new base is thicker and if I may say so - stickier:) It also has a very strange smell comparing to the old one, but I think it's just my personal issue with this product:) It really helps to lengthen the lashes, it keeps them curved. The only bad thing about this product in my opinion is that it's more difficult to rinse off a mascara when mascara is applied on this primer. I use Chanel Exceptionnel and YSL Singulier. When I apply them on Lancome lash primer, it's much easier to take them off at the end of the day. But maybe it's another side of good quality:) Overall, a good product, will definitely buy again.

on 2/2/2011 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This mascara base is nothing like the old one...the old one was my HG along with the Lasting Lift Mascara (the only non-waterproof mascara that held my curled lashes...)...this new base with the Lasting Lift just falls flat. the base does not go on evenly, thus the mascara doesn't go on evenly. It gets super clumpy, super fast. I have been using Shiseido products for a long time and I noticed that they always seem to discontinue their best products and replace them with "new formulas" that are terrible...why?!!?1?!?! Now I have to find a new base + mascara....

8/4/2013 Update: After using up this first tube, I bought it again as I was unable to find a good replacement. Also, a friend tipped me off that unlike the old formula, this one was meant to be applied while wet. This tip totally turned the product around for me. Make sure you put on your mascara right after applying the base on both lashes. I use this with a discontinued Shiseido mascara and I love it! I've been using this base for years now. Changing this to 5 stars!

Top Rated Shiseido Products