April 16, 2014 | 1899 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2011 10:41:00 PM More reviews by treedotcom

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This mascara base is nothing like the old one...the old one was my HG along with the Lasting Lift Mascara (the only non-waterproof mascara that held my curled lashes...)...this new base with the Lasting Lift just falls flat. the base does not go on evenly, thus the mascara doesn't go on evenly. It gets super clumpy, super fast. I have been using Shiseido products for a long time and I noticed that they always seem to discontinue their best products and replace them with "new formulas" that are terrible...why?!!?1?!?! Now I have to find a new base + mascara....

8/4/2013 Update: After using up this first tube, I bought it again as I was unable to find a good replacement. Also, a friend tipped me off that unlike the old formula, this one was meant to be applied while wet. This tip totally turned the product around for me. Make sure you put on your mascara right after applying the base on both lashes. I use this with a discontinued Shiseido mascara and I love it! I've been using this base for years now. Changing this to 5 stars!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/30/2011 11:11:00 PM More reviews by wink89

boooowhoooo:( ....my lashes will never look the same again. This new formulation is nothing like the old one. Sooo disappointed.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2011 11:25:00 AM More reviews by charlies04

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

What I really like about this mascara is the clean and non-brittle coating it gives to my lashes (I never seen such a clean and well defined effect on my lashes). But this stuff, when applied to my lashes, comes out completely white, so it really is only a mascara base designed to go underneath another mascara, and for 20 quid that makes this expensive- as you have to shell out for a regular mascara aswell! Also, after its dried and set it makes my lashes look very hard, stiff and unnatural (not in a good way). I prefer a full, fluffy and soft lash effect. And this mascara separates the lashes a little too much for my liking. So overall, I'm glad I tried it, and I wouldn't put people off trying it, but I personally won't be buying it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2011 12:17:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

I really don't see the point of this primer. It does not thicken or lengthen my lashes, nor does it noticeably condition them. I have not tested it for long-term results, so I have not graded it a "1" yet. The Lancome version is not perfect, but is much more effective. This is a thin gel, vs. Lancome's thicker cream. I do not recommend this, as it does not add anything that would justify the extra cost and use of an additional product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 9:25:00 AM More reviews by Aniger86

LOVE this stuff!! I have been a faithful user of the old formula for a long time, it was the best base I had ever used, comparing amongst other mascara bases, but not really my HG though, the best when comparing it against others but somehow just less than what I expected in my HG base. Nevertheless, I was devastated when they discontinued and went into panic mood. I decided to give the new formula a go anyhow, expecting it to totally fail in living up to the standards of the first one because in one glance, the formula looks so different. The old one had more of a solid texture to the base, whereas the new one look much more liquidy. I had serious doubt that it would hold a curl well. Lo and behold though, when I used the new formula, it was even better than the first one, I was really surprised. It held a curl very well (the old one did an ok job, but this one really outperformed), and made even lousy mascaras that I hated look good. However, don't count on it thickening lashes, it holds a curl very well, and lengthens well too, but the thickening part is quite lacking. Not a problem for me though, because curl power and lengthening are most important for me. Really really like this base, and am super glad I got it, as exaggerated as it sounds, I can't imagine life without it now!

Update- 9 months on, I'm still loving this product and am still using the same exact first tube I bought, it hasen't run out yet, and I'm a five day a week user!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/7/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by lovesyndrome

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I was so sad when I saw that the original formula was discontinued. I never understood why companies always seem to discontinue or change their best products, and I wasn't liking that some people had said this was not as good as the original. I ran out of my first tube though, so I just had to go out and try this one. I was not disappointed though.

Normally, I really like fat brushes, but I actually do like this skinner brush better. I feel like the bristles are positioned well to grab every lash. Also, the formula is smoother and thinner, which I thought I wouldn't like because I thought it wouldn't build up my lashes well, but it does make it very easy to apply. It just glides onto your lashes. As for building up my lashes to add length and volume, I can't tell the difference between the old one and new one. I actually have been still using the very, very last bits of products I have in my old tube, and yesterday, I put on the new one, and I feel like my lashes looked better and less clumpy than they did the day before (using the same mascara over it). I can't tell if it's because my old is tube, well, old now, or if the new one does just work better because the product is smoother and the brush is thinner. As for staying power, they work the same. My mascara still stays on 'til the end of the day, even when I sweat from exercise. Overall, I still really like the product, it is worth getting the new one, I think I'm just hesistant to loveee it because I'm nostalgic for the good old things.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2010 3:18:00 AM More reviews by HayJenn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So I had been using the old Shiseido Mascara Base and liked it very much although I thought it applied a bit on the thick side. So I was running out and ask my hubby to buy a replacement for Christmas. When I looked at the box I thought "oh no, he bought the wrong item"..But sure enough, after a quick search, I found out the old was discontinued and though I would give the new one a try. Must say I like this new & improved version even better. It's lighter and when applying doesn't glob like the old one use to do at times. I honestly cannot tell a difference between the old one in terms of staying power, and keeping my mascara from smudging or flakeing. Still get the same curl height and volume (I use Full and Soft). It does seem "nourishing" as well and is easier to remove. Also with the old one, if I didn't coat every lash from bottom to top, sometimes the gray of the old forumla would show on my tips. I know sometimes it's hard to get used to new things when you really loved the old, but for me, this updated version gets a big thumbs up.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2010 4:43:00 AM More reviews by reyna

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The pits compared to old formula. Couldn't even tell I was wearing anything in addition to my mascara. I returned the new one to Sephora, did online search, and purchased original formula from strawberrynet.com

Update: Maybelline Colossal Volume waterproof on own is my replacement product.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2010 1:00:00 AM More reviews by kewlgal18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a better base than any I have recently tried (Clinique, Lancome), but not nearly what the old base was. I cannot get the thickness or the lasting power that I was able to get with the old formula, though the lashes do still curl up. Also, because the formula is thin, mascara doesn't go on as smoothly (at least for me). Lancome and Clinique (because they are water-based, I believe, meaning water is the first ingredient) weighed down my lashes. Have you ever noticed how waterproof mascara holds a curl but regular does not? This is because water is the first ingredient in regular mascara. So I suggest all of you looking for a base to hold curl read the ingredients and avoid one that has water as the first ingredient (that is my experience, at least). This base does not have water as the first ingredient, which is why it helps hold curl. For $23 is it worth it, however? I don't know. Most waterproof mascaras hold curl for a lot less. Without any thickening benefits, this is still just 'meh' for me. If only Shiseido would bring back the old formula!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2010 11:33:00 AM More reviews by girlynails

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using Shiseido's mascara base for a couple of years now (a must have for me) and after running out, recently purchased a new tube. Upon first glance I thought they just changed the packaging, but after using it, see they have re-formulated both the product and the brush. I absolutely love both! I love that the consistency is less thick (makes for easier application and less clumping) and the applicator applies a nice even amount. This product continues to hold the curl for my "difficult" lashes and the length added is beautiful. I agree with the previous poster that because it is a thinner consistency lashes aren't as thickened as before with this product alone --- but my HG mascara (L'oreal Voluminous Carbon) thickens them up quite nicely when applied over this base without giving a spidery effect that I'd sometimes wrestle with when using the previous formula. Very happy with my purchase and will be re-buying for sure.