November 22, 2014 | 1845 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2010 11:26:00 PM More reviews by Rumz

Honestly, I'm not sure if this was 100% worth it. I only bought it for the colour loaded, which is a gorgeous blackened green; itís so unique and pretty. It does have some stand out colours like radium (bright blue), haight (tealish green). I love last call buts itís available in the other palettes, rockstar and psychedelic sister are pretty but dupable. Money is quite a unique silver/green duochrome but I find it hard to make stand out on my darker skin (nc44-45), which ends up looking like a sheer silver.. Uzi, midnight cowboy rides again, maui are a disgusting glittery mess, which makes my palette a nightmare to clean. Smog is a pretty colour but also available in other palettes. So overall this palette is just about worth it for loaded alone, a few gorgeous but dupable buttery shades and 2 fantastic eyeliners! If you donít get one I wouldnít really worry, I *think* loaded is somewhat similar to Nars night porter, the rest are pretty much available in the other palettes or permanent line. All in all decent value for £27 if you donít have the other BOS, or want to try out lots of different shades.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2010 1:37:00 AM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am proud to say that I own every Shadow Collection that Urban Decay has ever made! Limited editions and permanent. The thing is, I only really ever use my Book of Shadow Kits. The shadows last for years, have tons of variety, have gorgeous packaging, and are still the only shadows that don't cause my eyes to swell up from allergic reactions. This palette is no exception. It has amazing colors (I'd have to say my favorite is tied between Loaded and Rockstar), and the pop up New York skyline is to die for. I have no doubt that this one will get just as much wear and tear as the previous ones that I've had and I am so excited for the combinations that this has inspired me to try. The best part? Cruelty free. It's something that's a must with me and I am such a fan of Urban for that reason alone. The fact that they have morals, integrity, pride, and creativity in their products is all the more reason that I urge people to try their stuff. You will not be disappointed! Run and get it ladies! It's gonna go fast!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by slimchicklovesMAC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so in love with this palette! The shadows are soooo pigmented. My fav shade is psychadelic sister. Such a beautiful purple and very wearable. All of the shadows are buttery soft and give excellent color payoff. I compared them to the hundreds of MAC shadows I have and none compared, except for the veluxe pearl shades. I was afraid of Midnight Cowboy rides again b/c of what other MUAers had posted, but I actually really like it. Despite the glitter is just as smooth and has just as much color payoff as the others and the fallout is not bad at all. I was afriad it would have fallout like some of the MAC veluxe shades, but not so. I am very pleased and cannot wait to buy my next palettes from UD. They are resonably priced and high quality.

Update: I have not used this palette but once or twice. I have found it hard to use these colors. I'm more of a neutral eye kinda gal. The fallout and glitter have become more noticeable every time I try to use this palette.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/20/2010 8:54:00 PM More reviews by Sheng315

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

UD always has beautiful eyeshadow finishes so I wasn't surprised. I wasn't anticipating on getting this one bc I had just gotten the Naked Palette and was still trying new looks with that one...yet another great book from UD though!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2010 2:06:00 AM More reviews by disasterpiece

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I got this the day it released on the UD website. I have no clue how I slipped under the sellout radar, considering I had to negotiate with my fiance before buying this.

Anyway! I really wanted this for the delicious purples. Namely; Rockstar, Psychedelic Sister and Bordello. Of course, as with most Urban Decay palettes, there are repeats. (Midnight Cowboy Rides Again, I'm looking at you).

I'd say this is definitely worth the 54 dollars. I have the other two BOS and it just seems they get better and better. The LED lights are also really cool because I like toys with my makeup I guess.

I just want to say the colors that surprised me the most are Money and Bordello. Wow. Money looks just like...well, money! It would be really cool paired with Loaded. Bordello is a very, very beautiful pink/purple/mauvey shimmer. It looks amazing on my green eyes but I'd imagine it would look amazing on any eye color. I highly recommend this palette for anyone. They include a few glitter bombs but if you tap off the glitter, it shouldn't be too bad.

If you like beautiful, rich colors you will pretty much have to get this palette.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2010 1:52:00 PM More reviews by carriespooner

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I will gloat. I was in Times Square the day this came out. I have the Alice in Wonderland palette and lots of these same shadows in singles so I didn't really "need" a BOS. The LE packaging is the star of this palette. The city scape lights up! How NY is that?! I'm in love with this palette!

It was almost 50 dollars but honestly, I'd probably have drank that in Margarita's over the weekend so who cares.

The AIW pallette and NYC have a few duplicates but never mind that. When you buy a book of shadows you get the best of UD ES and it's a great value. You are going to get the glitter and the deep pigments and all the elements that make UD an exciting makeup line.

If you can get your hands on this, do it. It has a high cool factor and BOS are always a good investment in case you get the urge to swap have a sale on LJ.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2010 7:17:00 PM More reviews by eternallycrstn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was one of the several people stalking their website on Sept 7th, and managed to get my order in the 10 mins before they sold out.

I also have Alice in wonderland, and BOSII. BosIII is now my favorite over the other two. Being a PPP (NW10) with dark eyes, greens and purples are what tend to suit me the best and there's 3 greens and 4 purples in this palette. There's also MUCH less glitter in this one than in AIW. The only 3 colors I find to be really glittery are midnight cowboy rides again (wish they would leave this out of a palette for once - unworkable glitter), maui wowie (glittery but not overly so) and snatch (almost as glittery as Midnight cowboy but not quite as bad).

Rockstar (dark eggplanty purple) and loaded (very dark mermaidish green) are absolutely gorgeous. Loaded in particular has quickly become my favorite UD eye shadow.

Although UD does claim to have mattes in this palette, there aren't any, just fyi. I assume they're referring to perversion which they described as matte in BOSII but it does have a slight shimmer.

Mini 24/7 liners in ransom (bright purple exactly like the ransom deluxe e/s) and zero (their basic black) are included, along with a mini UDPP.

As for value, they BOS palette just cannot be beat. These palettes seem to sell out faster and faster with every one they release, so I definitely wouldn't wait on it :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2010 1:54:00 AM More reviews by lovedork

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I went to the NYC event and waited 2 hours in Times Square for this palette (and the free shirt and samples lol). I must say, I love this more than any other UD product I own. I have AIW palette, which I loved, but now I feel like 'move over, honey, theres a new kid in town.' The colors in BOSIII are so much more my speed. I can easly pair them and feel like they are complimentary and just so pretty! I'm in love with loaded, kush, bordello, and rockstar. The colors are smooth, pigmented, blendable, and just so pretty. These shades will be great for the Fall, as well as night looks. I'm very impressed by this palette. My only issue is that the lights on the pop up sometimes don't light, but I barely open the top so it's not that big of a deal. Other than that, i'm in love.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2010 12:17:00 AM More reviews by itsmandafersure

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

First for price, Urban Decay sells this for around $54...plus tax. But if you're the type of girl that has to have it first or was one of the last to find out, you're most likely paying the expensive Ebay prices of $75-$100, so price really depends on where you get it.

I love looking at the LED lights on the skyscrapers in the pop-up display. So original!

I have ALL the UD Book of Shadows (Volume I, Volume II, Alice in Wonderland, and now this). Here's my review of each color I have tried out (using the primer under each):

Perversion - A classic for the BoS. It has been in each one except for AiW. It has no glitter in it, but can get messy/streaky. It's a great color as a base to make your colors more vibrant or smoky eye when you build the shadow on.

Uzi - GLITTER GLITTER GLITTER! I do like this color, but I use it in my inner corners. It stays on for an average amount of time, but it is unfortunately accompanied with a lot of fallout.

Loaded - Just the right amount of glitter and makes my hazels pop very nicely. The wear time is alright, but may need to be re-applied frequently. (For me it did even with the primer)

Kush - Similar to Absinthe and Homegrown, but this is my favorite of the three greens. It's a building color that needs to be layered in order to get great color.

Midnight Cowboy Rides Again - A typical color. It has a lot of glitter fallout and can be messy. I do not recommend as an all-over-lid color. I use this ONLY to highlight my brow bones or in the crease of my lid.

Last Call - Pretty! It is also known as "Queen" in the AiW palette. I love the color so much. It wears nicely as well.

Rockstar - GORGEOUS but it didn't last very long at all. Even with primer, the color faded, if not came off completely after 4 hours.

Money - Nothing better than, right? Makes a pretty blue-gray smokey eye with a nice amount of glitter. Not "barely there" but not "ALL THERE" either.

Haight - Should have been named "Hot"! I get a lot of compliments on this. It's a pretty pool water blue. It'll look great on any eye color. It seems like a "barely there" glitter.

Maui Wowie - Love this! It was "Wonderland" in AiW palette and is an antiqued gold-green color. I am absolutely OBSESSED with this color. I wear it with all kinds of eyeshadow looks (all-over, crease, highlight). It is frosty more than it is glittery, but does have more than barely there glitter as well.

Smog - A frosty gold/brown. It's a great neutral color and wears for a long time.

Bordello - A pretty, girly pink/purple. Definitely a great all-over-lid color. Lasted with a while for me and I was also complimented on this color, too.

Radium - Frosty and vibrant! This is also a very "hot" color. It is bold and beautiful. I don't necessarily recommend wearing this color alone, but instead accent it with other colors like maui wowie or money. Get creative!

Snatch - Feminine and neutral. Another frosty/glittery color (wears somewhat like "Alice" from the AiW palette). Wears well and goes great with any eye color.

Suspect - A pretty gold but does not stay long at all. Give it an hour or two.. :/

Psychedelic Sister - MY OH MY! That is one of the prettiest purples I ever saw! Haha, but anyways, I REALLY had high hopes for this and honestly had second thoughts. It's too bold but also bland at the same time - barely saw any glitter when applied and was almost like "Underland" from the AiW palette - very chalky colors. The wear was also the worst with this - Less than 2 hours.

Zero Eyeliner - A classic! Everyone loves black, but I'm stock FULL of these now. They came with the BoS II, AiW, BoS III (this), and in my Super Stash Eyeliners. It's very light and creamy and doesn't budge. It's one of the first eyeliners I was actually about to line my upper lid with successfully (I use eyeliner in my water lines).

Ransom - Doesn't work for everybody. It's a light purple that needs to be built for the best color turnout. It can also be hard to find colors that match with this (I suggest psychedelic sister)

Finally, as for the packaging.....some of the other palettes have been hard to pull the tray out, but this one comes out too eagerly. The tray actually comes off the "track" sometimes with mine, so don't yank at it at all or put the tray on an angle - keep it flat on your vanity or some surface. It's also very chunky compared to all the palettes (bigger in height).

Overall, being an Urban Decay junkie, I would get this again. But I'm hoping the next BoS to come will exclude Midnight Cowboy Rides Again and/or Perversion (I don't use enough of them).

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by aPinkPerson

I stood in line for more than an hour in Times Square to get this, and I'm sure glad I did! (Well, it was a nice experience too.) Starting with the packaging: I am a NY girl so I adore the pop-up, but as with the other BoS', it is a bit too chunky and impractical for my tastes. Still, I love displaying it on my makeup table, and I have other palettes to travel with. (There are mini-lights in the pop-up design!)

As for the eyeshadows, the only complaint I have is the glitter- there are a few glitterbombs in this one too, and I absolutely *hate* the hardcore fallout that comes with the otherwise nice colors. The rest have beautiful textures, (Except maybe radium, which has a slightly chalky texture? not very noticeable though.) I love the variety of looks you can create with this, as it has nice neutrals as well as brights.

The 2 liners it comes with are cute - zero is a classic staple in my stash, as it's smooth and black and super-easy to use. Ransom was a bit weird on me, as it gets sheer on certain spots on my lid, but with a few strokes, it's a gorgeous, vibrant, blurple!

Overall, I would get your hands on this as soon as possible, if possible! I find myself reaching for this often, and for the price-per-shadow, I think it's a good deal.