April 19, 2014 | 1752 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 11:01:00 PM More reviews by ahodges1981

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this foundation! I am 31 years old, and ever since I started wearing makeup I have always used drugstore bands. For the last 7 years or so I have used Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer as my foundation & physicians formula pressed powder. I liked this combo because it was light on my skin & offered good sun protection. However, I have suffered from acne & oily skin since I was 13yrs old. The only time my face has been clear was when I went thru a course of accutane, it cleared me up for about a year. My derm recommended a 2nd course, which I wasn't ready to do. So after 18 years of having derms telling me that which makeup I used didn't really matter, I FINALLY decided to do some research about makeup & its effect on oily acne prone skin. My skin is quite sensitive also. Sooo, long story short I found makeup alley & decided that mineral makeup might be the way to go. I found Lucy Minerals and was really impressed with the formulation of the "Lucy Light" foundation. It has very few ingredients, which I figured would be great for my reactive skin. But what sold me on trying is that you can order little try it sizes for $2. I loved this! I was able to order a bunch of different shades so I knew exactly which shade to order in the full size. Also, they are affordable, another big bonus for me. I then order their ambrosia serum & loved that too, but that's a whole different review:-) now I should mention that Lucy Minerals is my first venture into the world of mineral makeup, so I'm not exactly impartial. But this makeup is awesome! It covers way better than my old makeup and feels amazing on my skin. The application takes some practice, and you really, really, REALLY only need a very tiny amount. It goes a looong way! But once I realized how little I needed, it was no problem to get it to look great. I've never used makeup like this and it only took me two times to get the hang of it. So don't be intimidated, its not that hard. You will probably need a darker shade than you might think. Also I use the finishing powder 1st and last, this seems to cut down on the shiny. If you use a damp concealer brush and a little foundation it makes an outstanding concealer. It also seems to last most the day. I will absolutley keep using this make up and I highly recommend it. The price is reasonable too considering how long it lasts you, because again you only need TINY amount for excellent coverage. As a side note, after 18 years of constant, chronic acne, my face is covered in new blemishs & lots of old scars. This makeup makes me look nearly flawless. I love, love, love Lucy Minerals! Oh yeah, they always give you free gifts when you order too! What a great company!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by grrrlsetsfire

I really wanted to like this makeup. I was looking for an alternative to BE. I have oily skin and acne prone. I have gotten my skin to be semi okay with BE, besides the monthly hormonal breakouts. Before I tried this makeup my face was pretty clear, just had some pesky blackheads and some small bumps. After 2 weeks of using Lucy my skin started breaking out in bad cystic acne and white heads. It started to spread out along my jaw and starting getting acne on the corner of my forehead (which never has happened to me before) I have never had acne this bad. I had to make a dermatologist appointment. I am thinking one of the ingredients just didn't agree with me. I am not saying this will happen to you... Most of the reviews for Lucy's is awesome. It does cover wonderfully and looks good on your skin. I just happen to have very sensitive skin. Bottom line is you never know till you give it a try. Good luck. I have yet to find a great foundation for me.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/25/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by rosalynxrawr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm soo disappointed that this foundation didn't work for me. I have oily, acne-prone, and recently sensitive skin and wanted to find a mineral makeup that worked. I ordered a bunch of samples in all different colors, and none of them matched my skin. I tried mixing them together in every combination, still no match. They all have such a pink undertone, that I looked like I just put a light blush all over my face. It also has poor coverage, it didn't cover my acne scars at all, and concealer looked very caked under it. On top of all that, it didn't blend in..it just sat on top of my skin and was obvious I was wearing powder. Despite the color, it did not look natural on me. Unless you have a pinkish undertone and clear even skin, I would not recommend it. This was one of the worst I've tried, nothing good about it =/

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2012 3:21:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

Gah! I wish i didn't have to write a negative review for this product! The people over at Lucy Minerals are so lovely and their shipping and delivery was fast and problem free too (and each product was also wrapped in blue tissue paper which i thought was a cute touch). But, in terms of my own experience, this foundation did not work for me. This was my first hopeful venture into mineral foundations and while it did provide more coverage than a usual one would, it wasn't enough for me. I tried playing with it a bit and letting it sit before applying another thin layer but it still didn't work for me. Maybe when my skin is less pitted and acne scarred, this would work better! Rather than letting it go to waste however, i will use this on more casual days where a full face of makeup is not needed :)

EDIT!!!
It turns out that my above review was too hasty. IT DOES WORK! I realise this now that i've changed my day time moisteriser to an avene creme/gel treatment thing. The avene is less oily than my other skin care products and makes for a nice base for this foundation. I use 2 thin layers (let it sit between layers then let it sink in for another 30 mins before you go out - the coverage gets better over time!), apply blush, then the Lucy Minerals finishing powder on top. This foundation has natural sunscreen in it so i don't need to put extra underneath when i'm wearing it (though in summer, i might anyway just to be safe)!

For reference, i'm quite yellow based (Asian skin!) and medium fair now that it's approaching summer (Bourjois healthy mix 53, about NC 23ish in MAC). For Lucy Minerals, i use 3/4 Creamy Bisque and 1/4 Creamy Olive (They are so lovely they actually do custom mixes for you, free of charge!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 10:10:00 AM More reviews by silverwing

I love this foundation, I have tried all the formulas and find that I like the Oil Control and the Light, for different purposes.

There is a learning curve to successfully using this foundation. It is different from other mineral foundations I have used. When I first tapped some of the product out of the jar, I thought it would be too dark. However What I have found, is that this product needs time to warm into the skin. For that reason, having enough time to go through proper application is essential. One of the few cons with this product, is that if you only have time for a 5-10 minute face routine, it may not be right for those days.

My typical routine:

1. I apply a primer all over my face.
2. I tap out a small amount and then stipple all over my face, using a flat top brush.
3. After stippling I wait about 5-10 minutes for the product to warm into my skin.
4. I then either spot conceal or add an light second layer.
5. I go over my face with the flat top to buff and blend.
6. I normally set with powder.

In terms of the formulas I wear the Oil Control with Silica, most of the time. As the seasons change I may try the Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate again. I like both, but the one with Silica, seemed to need fewer touch ups. I also liked the light formula, and may use that one in the summer. I took a sample size of it on vacation, and it held up quite well in the hot weather.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 8:41:00 AM More reviews by shazzar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I carry this with me for touch ups. For some reason this just doesn't work on me as my primary foundation; no matter how much I exfoliate, moisturize and then moisturize with different kinds of moisturizers, this just does not sit right, it looks cakey (even with a very light touch). However, after a few hours, once my natural oils are out in full force this works perfectly. It looks natural and has great coverage. Will continue to repurchase. For reference, I am NC10/15 and wear Light, it matches perfectly.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by thecharm

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Lucy Minerals is a small mineral company out of Winter Haven, FL (which is beautiful, by the way. Floridian digression over and out.) I've used their products for quite a while and am really happy with the foundation on the whole.

THE GOOD: There is a LOT to like. The customer service from Annie and co. is stellar. There are frequent sales and custom kits, but even the list prices are far from exorbitant.
As for the foundation, which I have in the original formula, it's super thick and creamy and can be quite opaque, which is rare for mineral foundations. It has a host of good-for-you ingredients, but if you're sensitive and prefer a foundation with a smaller, simpler product list, Lucy Minerals has that, too. Lucy also offers two different kinds of oil-control foundation.
There are also inexpensive, generous samples so you can test and see which formula works best for you.
There is a decent shade range, but I didn't find a shade match for my super pale skin... so the good people at Lucy Minerals blended one for me. It has my name on the sticker--how cute! They will blend in increments of 25% at no extra charge. There's a rotating sifter.

THE BAD: There's precious little "bad" about this foundation, but be aware that it has massive amounts of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. These add to the creamy feel and the opaque coverage, but they may not behave in flash photography. The website claims that you don't feel the foundation once it's on... I do. It's not a terrible feeling; it's just soft and not super thin either.
I will also say that there is a learning curve. Annie is not kidding when she says to only use a little bit. It doesn't take much to look like you're wearing a cakey mask. I'd start out using less than you think you need. In my experience, it doesn't really layer well... but then the coverage is so good that layering is pointless. I apply my Lucy in one of two ways:

1. I dip a kabuki in the lid and pick up just a bit of powder. Then I tap the handle of the kabuki on my vanity so the powder sifts into the brush fibers. It should be near invisible on the surface of the brush. Then I gently apply it in circular motions. This is for general coverage when my skin is pretty good.

2. If I need more precise, heavier coverage on certain areas, I dip a concealer brush in the foundation and spot-apply it on any blemishes or discoloration. Then I blend that foundation out from around that area onto the rest of my face. If I can still see the blemishes, I go back over with a teeny concealer brush. In my experience, it is not necessary to apply more foundation than that... I have enough on my face from applying on and around the blemish area and blending outwards.

Another learning-curve thing to be aware of is that the foundations go on lighter than they appear in the jar. BUT WAIT! Then they get a little darker than that (and the coverage appears more natural) once they've been on your face for ten minutes. So, you can't really go by how the foundation looks in the jar or by how it looks when initially swatched. It's a little confusing.

BOTTOM LINE: If you have the patience to master the learning curve, and appreciate mineral makeup with a thick, creamy feel... you may well appreciate this foundation, as I do.

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2011 12:51:00 PM More reviews by harmonyjensen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This products had a definite learing curve, but I'm happy to say that I love Lucy! I heard about this mineral makeup from watching YouTube videos on how to apply my previous foundation, Bare Escentuals Matte Foundation. I always found the BE to look dry, cakey, and patchy. It make my face look dull and dirty. I ordered Lucy's Oil Control Foundation with Calcium Carbonate (OCC) in Cream. I like that their shade selections include cool, neutral, olive, and yellow based foundations. The Cream is a pale, yellow based foundation. It's a pretty good match for me since it's winter and I'm super pale. The day I received the foundation, the site was running holiday specials and I bought the kit that came with one foundation, a finishing powder, blush, and your choice of two liner, eyeshadows, or brow powder. This time I purchased the foundation in Creamy Bisque, which is the same tone as Cream, but darker. This will be perfect for summer. I also got the OCC Finishing Powder. When I first started using this, it frustrated me because it would look so cakey and shiny within the first 15 minutes of applying. It would settle in the corners of my nose and look patchy. I changed my moisturizer from Solvere to Jojoba Oil and holy cow did that make a difference!! Now the foundation melts into my skin and looks flawless. I can use this as concealer too and it completely covers my moderate acne scars on my cheeks. I'm on Retin-A right now and my skin is pretty dry and this does highlight the flakes on my chin, but after 30 minutes or so, the flakes go away. This definitely needs to warm up on your skin to look its best. After much trial and error, I've figured out how to apply this on my skin. Here's how I do my foundation:
1. I pat two drops of Jojoba Oil on my damp face and let that soak in for a few minutes.
2. I use the EcoTools Bronzer Brush to lightly dust on the finishing powder. I find this step to be important because it acts as a primer and controls oil so much better.
3. I then tap out the foundation into a little cup. I literally use one tap. You need much less of this foundation than other MMU. I swirl my Sigma Flat Top Kabuki into the foundation and buff it onto my cheeks first, since that's where I need the most coverage. I then use the last bit in my cup to buff the foundation onto my nose, chin, and forehead. 4. I conceal with the EcoTools concealer brush. I just pick up a little of the minerals and pat it onto my acne scars. This does work to cover larger pimples too, but be careful not to use to much because it will look cakey later.
5. After I've concealed, I let it sit for a few minutes while I define my brows, curl my eyelashes, etc. Then I dust on a little more finishing powder over my face and I'm good to go!

I definitely recommend this foundation. The color selection is great and the samples are large and cheap. They also run amazing specials on kits. It's worth a try!
UPDATE: My face has been flaking pretty bad recently because I increased my application of Retin A and it's winter where I live. Even my hands are flakey! I've found that when I buff the Lucy into my skin with my kabuki, it makes the flakes look 10x worse and they don't go away after the foundation warms. I bought some of the flocked powder puffs from Walmart, which are velvety on one side and a sponge on the other. They come in a three pack and fit perfectly into the Lucy lids. I used the velvet side this morning to gently pat the foundation into my face. This worked really well and didn't upset my flakes at all! I just tip the jar over once with the puff over the sifter and it was the perfect amount. Just an FYI if you're dry or don't like to use brushes. The puffs were $1.47 for 3.

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by AllWhoWander

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

GREAT mineral foundation, best I have ever tried. Covers my horrid rosacea and marks and undereye circles with ease. Looks a bit mask-like the first few minutes on (maybe I applied too much) but then melts into the face and looks just incredible. Like my own skin only way better. Fast shipping, and a bonus of a free pigment sample too! Really you ladies MUST try at least a few samples of this mineral foundation.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Addicted90

Amazing is all I can say!! I would recommend it to anyone!