September 20, 2014 | 1813 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 4 of 5 on 9/7/2012 12:43:00 PM More reviews by caelyyo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I never thought I'd write anything here but I have to share! :)

My skin was looking dull, tanned after traveling. I have a couple of acne scars on my chin, and my pores were VERY visible. I wanted my skin to glow more like it used to, be smoother and reduce visible pores. After researching about turmeric on several sites and have read GREAT reviews about turmeric, I decided to give it a try. My skin is quite sensitive to break outs and random redness, I can't even use a moisturiser without it breaking me out.

Recipe for mask: 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, 2 teaspoon of rice flour, 1 tablespoon of unsweetened, all natural yoghurt.

What I did: Used 2-3 cotton pads to apply on my face so it doesn't leak everywhere! It's impossible to apply with your fingers because the mask is runny and it'll stain your hands. I apply it over the sink. Leave for 15-20 mins. I usually use the mask right before I shower so I can wash it all off in the shower, it's easier that way. I tried washing it over the sink, it was okay but more troublesome.

BEWARE/RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. I read that we should always put some sort of FAT in our turmeric mask, because turmeric is fat soluble or something. This way, it won't stain your face yellow! I washed it off with my usual cleanser, and it went away though I detect a 5% hint of yellowness? It went away after a day. I used yoghurt, but some people use almond milk. Try 1/2 teaspoon of powder if you're worried. :)

2. If you're using this mask to make your skin fairer or to even out skin tone, do NOT go out under the sun after using this mask. If you have lemon in your mask, do not go out either! Your skin will get darker if you do. Wait for an hour or so, from what I've read. No harm in being cautious, right?

3. When mixing the mask, use a glass or metal bowl because I think it'll stain plastic bowls. Also, it smells kinda strong!

4. Do NOT apply this over your eyebrows! It removes hair in some cases.

Verdict:
I did have some tiny pimples after using this but I think it's the yoghurt and the fact that my skin is sensitive. The first time I tried it, it stung slightly. Now it's my fourth time using it in 2 weeks and it doesn't sting anymore. It DID make my skin smoother, fairer, more glowy. Blackheads have shriveled up around nose. I spot treat it with the leftover mask and it does lighten up scars. I need to make sure it doesn't break me out in the long run though.

Enjoy your mask but make sure you do it when you don't have to go out immediately or the next day (in case you end up looking like The Simpsons) :)

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 6:49:00 PM More reviews by 0037sammie

I am currently experiencing the worst acne breakout in recent history. The ugly buggers hang out in gangs- spread in clusters, vying for dominance on my face.

Topical antibiotics, benzoyl peroxide, aspirin masks- everything in my arsenal that has usually helped in the past hasn't made a dent in the problem. Old faithfuls like ole henriksen's blemish attack and liz earle's deep clean mask help, but don't cut it completely.

Enter the turmeric mask. After a single half hour application of this stuff, my skin looked brighter and smoother. The inflamed, itchy pimples/nodules/demons from hell sat flatter- and instead of an alarming red, settled to a more skin tone shade. Itchiness gone.

The real wow factor was how my face looked the next day. Acne still flatter looking, scars actually somewhat diminished and the irritation nonexistent...bumps visible (it's not a miracle worker, obviously) but definitely easier to cover and not as difficult to do.

Will definitely keep this up and update to reflect my findings after a week/month/as long as I can keep it up.

10 DAY UPDATE:
I have been using this every day for between 20 mins to an hour. It has made a significant difference in the healing time of acne- my cheeks where it was the most severe- is healed, though the acne marks remain visible.
Older marks have lightened, which has made my overall complexion look more even in tone, and those places and the areas that were acne free to begin with now have a 'glow.' Since using, I have had a few new spots crop up, but they aren't as painful and as previously mentioned, heal faster.
Will update again in a month, but so far so good!

_______________________________________________________

The recipe I followed was from YouTube:

2 tbsp gram flour, 1 tsp turmeric, 1 tbsp almond oil and a dash of milk. It makes a generous amount- I seperated the dry ingredients and so far have had 2 uses, with some left over.
____________________________________________________

I have been dabbling with the above recipe, and have found the following to be more effective. It is more 'sticky', which means it doesn't crumble off, but does require a little more effort to remove. 2tbsp gram flour, 1 heaped tsp turmeric, 1 tsp yogurt, 2tsp honey, 1tsp lemon juice, 1tsp almond oil. I cling film and refrigerate what I don't use, and this mix lasts about 3 days.

When washing off, I tend to rub water on to the mask to make it easier to remove and then use kitchen towels ripped into squares to wipe off. I follow with liz earle cleanse and polish, but be warned the muslin cloths stain yellow if there is turmeric left on the face.

Also, I would recommend wearing latex gloves if you are worried about hands being stained. I don't bother with this, since I put the mask on in the evening but I have noticed my fingernails take on a yellowish tinge after I am done...and they aren't even particularly long. Denture tablets in water for a couple of minutes takes care of this, though ;)

13 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 11:22:00 PM More reviews by witheverylookandtouch

Turmeric is a life saver! I've started recommending it to all of my family and friends. I've been struggling with advanced acne for about 10 years now, but finally got "normal skin" by using birth control for a few months. My acne was hormonal so the birth control regulated my hormones and, in turn, my skin got better. The downside was that I was left with mild scarring (both small pits and seemingly permanent red spots), mostly on my cheeks and chin.
I gave turmeric a try and noticed a difference after just one use! Three uses in and my skin has improved by at least 30%. Not only is the overall redness completely gone, but my red spots are about a fifth as bright as they used to be. As an added bonus, I put some turmeric under my eyes and my under-eye skin is almost completely back to normal! (Purple is about 3/4 gone, skin is mostly no longer "chicken skin"-looking.) The difference is so noticeable that when going to see friends with no makeup, they remark on how great my skin is looking and ask me what I've been doing differently!
I mix about half a teaspoon of turmeric with a small squirt of olive oil and some honey. The honey is necessary to make the consistency of the texture not too liquid-y. The olive oil entirely prevents my skin staining because turmeric is fat soluble. (I also have tried making a mask with fat-free milk. There was mild staining afterwards that lasted until the next day.)
I then apply with an old ELF foundation brush (they're the cheapest) and let the mask sit for awhile on my skin! I'm so impressed that there have been this good of results so quickly after beginning treatment. I can't even imagine how good my skin will look after only a few more!

11 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 7:44:00 AM More reviews by LilyJ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I originally used turmeric to treat acne scarring, but have noticed acne clearing up, brighter skin and more even skin tone. I use it around my eyes to help with dark circles.
I mix 3 heaped tsp of turmeric with some honey use as a mask, daily. Always wear gloves when doing this, and when rinsing off!
I also mix turmeric and cocnut oil and apply around my eyes and the skin is much brighter and lighter, and dark circles have reduced. I apply it with a cotton bud.
I don't waste money on products to treat scarring or uneven skin tone, this is the best product I've found.
I also take it internally and my skin glows and acne has cleared up nicely. I take 1/2 tsp in my morning green tea, and 1/2 tsp before bed. Mix with some honey if you don't like the taste. You could even make your own capsules.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 12:41:00 PM More reviews by KrissyGirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I make a homemade mask and use it about once a week(should probably use it like 2-3 times). I eye ball all the measurements so sometimes i put to much in and get a tinge yellow after 20 minutes but i use a homemade lemon toner and it takes the discoloration right off(you see the yellow on the cotton ball). I make the mask with almond milk, oat flour, honey(love), turmeric and lately ive been adding cinnamon and nutmeg, it burns for the first five minutes but the results are worth it. The mask is all organic except when i add the cinnamon and nutmeg(haven't gotten around to buy organic ones yet). My face feels amazing after it. Apply the mask with a make up applicator or something it gets messy, leave it on for 20 minutes and then just rinse really well with warm water, the results are so good.My face feels awesome after, and looks great, and it evens out my tone as well. If anyone wants the exact recipe, inbox me, i think i have it somewhere.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by lalovelyj

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a Esthetician and have used Turmeric for the past 3-4 years as a brightening mask and spot treatment for acne: pustules. (1tsp Tur & 1 tbsp plain yogurt). It accelerates the healing of my skin and is anti- inflammatory. My skin is golden brown I can experience the "stain"effect if I mix in to much Turmeric, so fair skin folks start off with just a pinch. I also use it as a exfoliant and mix with my Dermalogica Daily microfoliant.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2012 3:00:00 PM More reviews by shopaholic14

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Indians have known about the medicinal and cosmetic properties of turmeric since thousands of years. Turmeric is found in every spice box in every indian house and is used extensively in indian cuisine.
*Because of its antiseptic properties, it works very well on cuts and wounds and is very effective in curbing blood flow from a wound (but it stains clothes very easily and those stains are nearly impossible to remove)
* Half a teaspoon of tumeric dissolved in warm milk is very effective in curing coughs and colds. It also helps insomniacs sleep. In fact, this milk is good in most illnesses.
* Turmeric mixed with honey is also wonderful in curing coughs and colds too. Taken 2-3 times a day, it helps sooth the throat as well as the easy expulsion of phlegm to speed up recovery.
* This is actually considered as a "heaty" spice so its best to reduce consumption of this in summer. In winter, it really helps in warming up the body especially when had with steaming milk and honey.
* There are loads of cosmetic uses of turmeric too...in India, there is a pre wedding ritual where the bride and the groom are scrubbed by their respective families with a paste of turmeric mixed with other stuff to give them an extra glow for the big day.
* A very common face mask used by millions of indian women is a simple one of turmeric mixed with chick pea flour. You can add yoghurt to this or honey depending on whether you have dry or oily skin.

I could go on and on but go ahead, get some turmeric and experiment. :)

25 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 7/11/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by bellaplutt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I read somewhere that you could mix turmeric with your foundation to make it more yellow (if you have a yellowish skintone that is), and since I
use mineral powder foundation I tried it. Smells a bit weird, but works pretty good! :) And the fact that it's supposed to have beneficial skin properties doesn't make it any worse!

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Turmeric can be used internally and externally for health and beauty - as an herb or herbal supplement or applied topically to impart a vibrant golden color and antioxidants.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 2:02:00 PM More reviews by Shreelar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had some kind of growth - in between skin and fingernail - growing in the middle of my forehead. It had no color, and was kind of pointy. I called it my unicorn horn.

I was nervous about trying wart medication so close to my eyes, so I tried a mix of turmeric and coconut oil, covered with a small bandage. I think it was about 3 weeks before the growth disappeared. It tried to return a year or so later, so I used the turmeric/coconut oil again and it didn't take as long to disappear, since I started it quickly.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No