November 23, 2014 | 1978 users online

Eye Primer - NYX - Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I own both this and MAC Paint Pot in Painterly and I prefer to use the NYX base, although they are very similar.

I like how creamy this is and how well it applies. The paint pot is very hard to work with IMHO.

Also, when I use the paint pot, it makes my eyeshadow look very scaly, and the NYX base does not do that.

Overall - like it much better than MAC and it is a fraction of the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2010 11:39:00 AM More reviews by alyssa1312

everyone is saying that this was an oily product for me it was completely opposite it was kinda dry on my skin which makes it a little difficult to spread on my lid but for the price I love it. It made my shadows soo much brighter than normal and made my makeup stay longer (even thou this isnt a primer it still helped it stay a lot longer) and the price was great i will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2010 1:01:00 AM More reviews by melyssab

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Today was my First time using this or any eyelid primer, and Loved it!! I have oily lids and every time I'd use eyeshadow it'd crease and wear off in just a couple hours (I'd hate the way I looked after dancing or long nights out) And today my day started at 8:00am and just ended at 11:00pm! without a crease or fading in my eyeshadow!!! This day also included pouring rain and a warm humid texas afternoon! (typical texas weather!) I also sweated from setting up and moving heavy things. (we had a outdoor party) My makeup's still in tact! I applied my cream foundation first, then just dabbed a dot of primer on each eyelid and blended it out. I'm mexican and i don't think I'm real dark but i definitely don't need to tan! And this blended evenly with my skin tone. My eyeshadows were powder. I'll definitely buy again! It's only like $3.59? at ulta.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/17/2010 4:03:00 PM More reviews by MichisTouch

This isn't the best base in the world but for the price i like it. I had it crease on me when i used it alone. But if i add a nyx jumbo stick it dosen't crease. I like it for an everyday use not for going out on something special. I would buy it again just for what i said an everyday use.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2010 4:03:00 AM More reviews by captainflamingo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The packaging is nothing special and the price is affordable. I'm an NC40 and this is of course light for me, but I like it because of that. It gives me that lightened base for me and intensifies my shadows. It keeps color in its place and for less than $8 I'll keep coming back to it.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by blubandit85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this base. I use it as a primer and my makeup stays on all day. You don't need much and I like how it is in a pot form so its easy to control how much you use. Its almost as good as my UDPP but it is an awesome alternative because it its less than $4. I will be repurchasing!

Edit 2/20/11- After having it for a while I find that it is just ok. It is not at good as UDPP and my shadows do crease after a few hours. But if I am not to concerned with my mu for the day I will use this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2010 3:57:00 AM More reviews by uraznbabygurl

I'm not too surprised about the mixed reviews on this eyeshadow base. I really do think that its performance greatly relies on a few factors, such as skin type, what kind of eyeshadows you're using, age, application and maybe other factors that I can't think of.

To start off, here's a background check. I'm 21 with oily skin. Without a base, eyeshadow would probably last less than 2 hours on me. So you can imagine my frustration with finding a good base/primer for my eyeshadow.

I thought that this base was terrible when I first used it with Maybelline shadows. After a long, hard-learned lesson (shuddup yall, mind outta the gutter...LOL), I realized that glittery shadows weren't for me at all. And I mean the chunky, MACRO glitter kinds. Unfortunately, most Maybelline shadows I have tried fall under that category. Not to mention their pigmentation varies from shadow to shadow, although most that I tried were average at best. I experienced lots of fading and quick creasing with those shadows.

Now I mainly use subtly shimmery shadows and matte shadows, and this base is great for that. All I do is dip my ring finger in (not the MOST hygienic thing to do, but it works) and apply a thin layer on my lid. I was extremely pleased that it made some of my NYX shadows (specifically, the Caribbean collection ones, which I LOOOOVE) stay on longer (7-8 hours). I had also tried this primer with some other matte shadows, which also worked well.

Some other nice things about this base is the packaging, color, and price. It comes in a little jar with a screw-top lid. Kinda like a Paint Pot, I think :P. This way, you don't need to worry about cutting open a bottle or wasting a lot of product, if any at all. The color of the product works well on my NC30ish skin. It's a peachy-yellow beige, and I'm sure it could be used as a concealer if desired. Lastly, I believe this base is $6-8 dollars! :]

So far, this is the best eyeshadow primer I've tried. I have tried ELF's Eyelid Primer and L'Oreal's Decrease, so I can't compare it to UDPP or TFSI. I would buy this product again. I'm sure that there are better primers, but this will do for me!

EDIT:
Even though this makes my eyeshadow last longer than the ELF primer (5-6 hours), I don't use it anymore. I have invested in TFSI, which is a far superior product. *shrug*. I guess there's no need for this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/30/2010 2:27:00 AM More reviews by ak1210

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with NYX cosmetics, but i was truly dissapointed by this eyshadow base. L'oreal decrease works much better than this; this eyshadow base keeps my lids from not creasing for maybe 5 hrs at the most ): I was really hoping that this would work very well, but i was mistaken. I love the texture and the color as well as the packaging but the quality of the last power is just a dissapointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/26/2010 1:48:00 PM More reviews by xotsmoke

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I generally like this eye shadow base, but I can honestly say there have been better. It definitely gets the job done, but my eyeshadows don't really stick well to this base, you need to use a lot. (Which I do NOT like doing).
I paid $8 for this, and I don't think it's worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2010 5:51:00 PM More reviews by BlueSkiesAbove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

BTW I am not 18, I'm 31, with semi-oily lids. My shadow runs and creases from sweat because its so hot where I live, plus I really pile on the shadow depending on my chosen look. I love bold eye color.

Ladies! If this creases on you its because you have oily lids, and you need a dry application on top of this. So i suggest using this as a good basic primer and then adding your own POWDER swipe on top of it. Just a touch of powder will help set this base and make it NOT CREASE for hours. I know this because e/s creases on me, even MAC brand. Without a primer like this there is no hope for my eyes. I live in a humid environment and I found that this base helped a lot and it magnified the color by 10x

Remember to SET this e/s base with your own powder and you will be good to go. Just a touch is all that is required. I think this product is a steal..even when I used foundation and powder my e/s would crease but with this primer it stays in place all day

Its not the product, its the formula, the skin type, and the method of application. That said, this is a great buy and it comes in handy for creating bold, powerful and long-lasting color, especially when used specifically with NYX shadows. The jar is easy to use with the NYX e/s applicators that come with the e/s trios.

Purchase again? Hell yeah!