NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

3.3

on 2/14/2011 12:18:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Up until just a few days ago my HG e/s primer was Art Deco's (a German drugstore brand) e/s base. But then I tried Too Faced E/s Insurance and it was love at first sight. Anyway, in between I did some experimenting with the NYX's e/s base and I was not impressed. Sure, my e/s creased less with it than without it. But still, my days are usually quite long, so my e/s has to last for about 10 hours, which it usually does with Art Deco's e/s base. Unfortunately NYX isn't as good. My e/s creases after about 6 hours. Some might think that's a lot of time, but I just need more, as I usually don't find the time to do touch-ups during the day.
What I also seriously dislike about this e/s base is its colour. I'm very pale (I mix Revlon's Colorstay in Ivory with Barry M's Creme Foundation in White to get the right shade of foundation) and this base looks horrible if I don't blend it carefully and make sure I cover it all up with e/s. Words can not describe how much I hate it when brands ignore the fact that there are many of us out there who are pale (and who like to be pale).
Anyway, will not repurchase. I'll use it on shorter days or give it to my sister or something.

on 2/12/2011 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

I purchased this product thinking it would be an inexpensive alternative to UDPP. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wore UDPP on one eye, NYX on the other. The NYX lasted 4 hours at most. Going to but UDPP tomorrow. I'll keep the NYX container to use when I pot the UDPP.

on 1/28/2011 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this to use with NYX pigments. I did not like the pigments, and they all went into the garbage after one use. I tried to use the Eyeshadow Base for it's intended use with other brands of shadows. It was a disaster. Shadows that have never creased before, including Guerlain, creased horribly with this product.
After realizing that it was almost an exact match to my skintone, I tried using it as a concealer, and I love it for this purpose. I use the La Mer The Radiant Concealer (medium) underneath my eyes, but it is a shade too light for the rest of my face to cover blemishes, redness, etc.
The NYX Eyeshadow Base covers EVERYTHING, dries to a nice finish, and it lasts all day (when set with powder).
I would not re-purchase (or use) this as an eyeshadow base, but I would re-purchase as a concealer. Also, it is quite inexpensive, which is a nice change from the other concealers that I have purchased in the past.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I don't like this product. I keep trying to find something that's up to par with Urban Decay's Primer Potion and this definitely isn't it. It wasn't very expensive, so at least I'm not out too much. It creases like crazy! I've tried using less, and using more.. but I still get that gross crease about 3 or 4 hours after putting it on. UDPP remains undefeated.

on 12/16/2010 2:31:00 PM

when im in a pinch, yes this base will work. it is not as good as udpp but i will say it does last me 8 hours. however, my days are longer than 8 hours so this would not always suffice.

if im going out really quick or having a short day at work or class id use this cuz its cheap & lasts about 8 hours. for times i need a whole day or going out somewhere nice id def reach for my udpp instead.

would i buy it again? maybe. if i was tight on cash it couldnt hurt.

overall this is good for a short amount of time. if youre going to be out for less than 8 hours then this will def do its job. if youre reapplying makeup at night & will only be out for about 3-5 hours, this will work.

if youre like me & your days are at least 12 hours, id go for udpp

UPDATE: I tried it again -- it only lasted maybe 4-6 hours

on 12/13/2010 3:14:00 AM

I never had a problem with creasing. My makeup artist, however, said that I should wear eyeshadow primer because it makes a difference. I started with this one, and I gotta say...I now have a creasing problem. The color is a nice matte skin tone, but that is the only thing I like about this product. It automatically shows creases, and I'm pretty sure that's not what it's supposed to do.

I'm not going to buy again...

on 12/12/2010 1:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

I love this! I didn't think I needed a shadow base until I used the baked Hard Candy shadows. I loved the colors, but they creased after a couple of hours! I picked this up at ULTA since they were out of TFSI (what I originally wanted to try) and I use it everyday, under both DS and HE shadows. It is darker than my skintone (I'm usually the lightest shade in fdtn, approximately NC15), but it blends out. I use a concealer brush to apply and blend this.

on 12/9/2010 10:25:00 AM

I purchased this product on a whim. It was the last one and was in need of an eyeshadow base. I love it! The skin tone matches to my skin perfectly and goes on very smooth. It wears all day (even through my evening workout) and keeps my shadow in place. A little goes a long way with this when applied with a small concealer brush. I would reccommend this as an inexpensive reliable product.

on 12/3/2010 7:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Warm

I still like this product but I just don't use it. I have a different eye shadow primer I use. It may work wonders for others but I didn't like it creasing.

on 11/29/2010 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I was about to buy or swap for MAC Painterly but I came across this product and tried it out. So glad I did because it's great! Skin Tone is a tad on the warm side but doesn't appear too peach on me. It is a pretty good match for my light/med skin. It goes on smoothly with a concealer brush. I wear it alone for a fresh faced look but of course it serves well as an eyeshadow base too.