April 19, 2014 | 1811 users online

Highlighters - TheBalm - Mary-Lou Manizer

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2013 10:49:00 PM More reviews by brighteyes22

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous! Natural and glowing, not shimmery. For ref NC 30 and it blends perfectly with my skin tone!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2013 1:32:00 PM More reviews by Aminsat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Simply put, I like the texture of this highlighter but something is off about the tone to me. It is indeed really fine and seems to look smoother on the skin as opposed to my current MAC Soft and Gentle highlighter which kinda 'sits' on top of the skin. The issue I have with this is that whatever little pigment is in this powder - and I know a lot have mentioned it's colourless on the skin but I digress - it doesn't work well with my skin tone. The effect is an unflattering yellow gold sheen in certain light or angles as opposed to a warm glow. So although I think this has a nicer finish than my MAC S&G, whatever pigment is in this doesn't work with my skin the way my MAC one does. It doesn't look like my skin but glowing which is the effect I'm going for. So back to MAC until I find a better highlighter.

That being said, as I've recently discovered, highlighters are really nice to have in your makeup stash especially for photos and nighttime, my only word of advice is to test the colour in different lights before you buy. :) For reference, I'm a MAC NC35 NARS Stromboli.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by alyxayavong

I wasn't into powdered highlighters but I decided to give this a try. It is hands down the most PIGMENTED highlighter I have ever tried. So a little definitely goes a long way. I love the packaging but but I sadly dropped mine and it cracked. :/ But luckily it has a closed shut packaging so I could keep it confined. I would recommend this to anyone I believe it looks good on any skin tone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 9:47:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I saw this featured on my favourite beauty blog Essiebutton and I finally hunted this down!! Now I must confess, I do not own this product, because the Rexall close to my home is always sold out of it and I don't know where else to buy it in Canada. I do try this on constantly at the beauty counter because it's better than my Mac Mineralized Skin Finish in "Soft and Gentle". I have tried many highlighters, I have never loved any (in fact I hated the Benefit High Beam) but I totally love this Mary Lou-Manizer!!

For reference, I am NC15 in Mac skin products, I am very fair very neutral undertones, I wear soft coral or pink coloured blushes and this looks amazing as a highlight on my cheekbones. The soft gold colour does not have chunky glitter or anything like that, it's a very fine powder, and it gives such an amazing radiant glow. I have quite flat cheekbones and this highlighter makes them look more prominent and I just love it. I can't wait to get my hands on this, I also can't wait to try out more products by The Balm! My only complaint would be the price, at $30 CND it's almost as much as the Mac MSF, and respectfully, The Balm is a drugstore brand, I find it to be too costly...though it will definitely last forever like the Mac MSF!

UPDATE: I found a sample size of this on eBay that someone got in their monthly Birchbox and decided to sell! I paid $10 for it, and since you need just a tiny amount to give you an amazing glow, I feel like this small presentation of this product will last me a long time! I haven't been able to wear my Mac highlighter since I got this Balm one, it's just so amazing and long-wearing!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2013 9:58:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I have a LOT of highlighter, Guerlain, MAC, Smashbox, hourglass, NARS etc, and strangely I always come back to Mary-Lou Manizer, it's soft, have a nice shimmer, with a golden undertone. what's not to love.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 8:51:00 PM More reviews by Bunmum2013

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Buttery soft with just the right amount of warmth for my pale skin tone. Beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 7:44:00 PM More reviews by thepinkviper

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a wonderful HG product. I caved and ordered it based on the amazing reviews even though I own MAC's Soft and Gentle. It's so beautiful and shimmery but not loud and obnoxious glittery at all. It gives my face a wonderful glow and I usually will pick this up before MAC's Soft and Gentle because it's more of a glamorous shimmer. Not to mention the packaging is adorably retro and will last you forever for a great price. LOVE LOVE TheBalm products!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by zeyneperkal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

my all times favourite!!! i bought it to my sis, too. i don't like glossy-shiny look but this gives you look healthy. i apply it for hightlighting on cheek, under my eyes and sometimes as eye shadow all with a brush the result is totally great. maybe the price a bit much but due to other cosmetic luxury products it is really worth it. after hours there is no crease or etc. on your face which i mostly like.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Chloeclover

I got this because of all the hype. Honestly it is just a shiny glittery mess. The highlighter has a golden tone to it. I guess this would be great under the brow bone and inner corners but I wouldn't recommend putting this on the cheek bones or center of your nose. It is just tooooooo fake looking. Even if you use it sparingly........... However, you do get a lot of product for the price, which is good. Also sometimes you can find it in TJ maxx or Marshalls for half off the retail price.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2013 6:10:00 PM More reviews by Hypnolove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I think it's ok. Shouldn't be blended in in circular motions because the glitter particles end up looking like a cyborg . Rather tap it in wherever u want it. I wanted to like and I do use but I don't think it's 5* I'm afraid