December 22, 2014 | 1771 users online

Hair - Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2010 9:51:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

ACV is great and has a whole assortment of uses. I try to make sure to always have some on hand. From clarifying hair to detoxing the body, this stuff is a miracle. No-poo: I usually rinse it through my hair with a tablespoon of baking soda, massage in, then rinse with cool water.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/15/2010 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Thena

HG hair rinse and tonic!

For years, I have wanted to switch to chemical free (or at least SLS free) shampoos, but I didn't find one until recently. I also wanted to see how good ACV was since I heard so much about it, but I was afraid it would smell. That proved to be moot as I do not use a lot of ACV and the mild smell goes away when my hair is dry.

I have been "no (sham)poo" for over a month now. I actually use an organic, natural shampoo bar from etsy because my roots and hair are naturally too oily to go without soap or cleansing agent right away. I may switch to Baking Soda in the future, but this works for me now.

My basic routine consists of: the shampoo bar, a light rinse, and then 1-2 tablespoons of ACV (premixed in a 250ml bottle with 5 drops Rosemary oil) with a couple of additional drops of Rosemary oil mixed into warm water. The rosemary is great for dark hair and as an all around tonic. Depending on how oily or flaky my hair is at the time, I leave it in for 2-5 minutes and/or add more ACV or rosemary. Then I blast and rinse with cold water (an important step!). Towel and air dry.

If you have dry ends or roots, run or comb some drops of jojoba oil in your hair for shine and moisture.

Results: Beautiful ends, lighter hair and best of all, less flakes and no itchy scalp. Before, I use to get lots of flakes and itchy scalp in winter from the chemical shampoos and conditioners. Any no 'poo routine requires at least 4-6 weeks to settle and yes, your hair will be extra greasy in the first couple of weeks, but experiment and ride it out. Overall, this is much better for my hair, the environment, and my wallet.

For more information on ACV and going no shampoo, try the following websites:

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2010 1:29:00 AM More reviews by gracejones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love this as a hair rinse, it gives soft, shiny hair and removes gross residue, follow it up with a blast of ice cold water and your hair will shine shine shine!

It is the natural stuff that always seems to work best...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2010 12:26:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Been going through seasonal, harmonal stuff that is making my dry skin tight and itchy. Even my scalp is effected, which translates to bumpy flaky scalp that is itchy and just plain gross. Hair is flat and listless even with my many oil rinses. I need to bring out my half gallon of braggs once more. Dilute with water, usually 1:3 ratio and I let dry without rinsing off after regular shampooing. Works to balance ph level and works in four to five rinses. Dried out the little bumps and my fingers just feel soft clean skin and hair. Beat over priced, over medicated shampoos for dandruff and itchy skin any day.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 12:04:00 PM More reviews by salhon

HG! I use this with my baking soda hair washing.

Here is my whole routine: I do my own version of it that works great for me. I first do a diluted rinse of plain white vinegar, then I add about about 1/4 cup of baking soda in the bottom of a large drinking cup, add water to the top, and swish around. I pour this diluted baking soda mixture on over the white vinegar rinse (it bubbles nicely). I rinse it all out, and I then condition with about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar diluted in the same large cup (sometimes I add some essential oil drops). Then I rinse. This is truly my favorite hair care routine!

I do smell like a salad until my hair drys (often a little bit throughout that day also), but by the next morning, my hair looks amazingly soft, fluffy, and doesn't have a smell at all. I really, really love using this on my hair. I will buy again and again!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/27/2010 10:42:00 PM More reviews by pinkeyey

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review for my first experience with ACV.
I tried this last night. First I shampooed and rinsed. Then using a ketchup bottle (filled 50/50 with ACV / water) I slowly poured this over my hair, into the scalp, and rubbing it into the ends, etc. Using the ketchup bottle was easy cause i was able to control how much i squeezed out and pour directly to where I wanted.
I left the ACV on for about 5 minutes- then rinsed it out and did not condition my hair.
The smell did not bother me at all. When applying it, of course it smells sour, but not offensive to me. After rinsing off, I didn't really smell it anymore (but i know it's cuz i got used to the smell already).
The texture- right out of the shower - it was gritty and "chalky"... similar to when you don't use conditioner.
While it air dried- still chalky. I didn't try to comb it out cuz it didn't feel like it would be easy to comb.
So this morning- honestly- i can still smell it. It's not strong, but when i clipped it up to wash my face- i could definitely smell ACV when i took the clip off. And when i smell my hair directly (just did it right now) it smells like ACV.
Again, the smell is not offensive to me, but just so you know- it doesn't wash off that easily.
Texture- when it was dried- the hair was definitely softer and My scalp feels cleaner. But i don't think the hair is shinier or that the colour changed.
I would definitely do this again cause I like using more organic products. But I don't think it makes my hair look or feel better than my favourite shampoo/conditioner. And also, I may not want to use this before a big date or anything. I don't think any guy will like it if you smell like vinegar (smells kinda like stinky feet) =P

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2010 11:58:00 PM More reviews by Adriana_C

I love using this as a clarifying rinse when my hair feels weighed down and built up with product. It makes my hair feel smooth, silky, and clean. My scalp even feels better too. My method is to mix it as a 1:1 ratio with shampoo. Never had any problems with the scent once my hair dries.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/20/2010 11:59:00 PM More reviews by adrota

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I actually love this product for a toner on my face since I have acne & post acne scars. its good stuff ihe only problem that I do have is that it stinks. I dont mind the first stinging feel either - I use it straight w/o diluting. I have not tried it on my hair as yet or in my diet but maybe I will try the hair thing later one day soon. If you have acne this might be worth a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by fahzybear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

WOWW!! this is amazing for hair. the only drawback is that when your hair is wet, it will smell a bit. but once dry you can't smell the vinegar. I wasn't sure how well this would work but last night I used it, blow dried my hair half dry as usual, and slept on it. in the morning all I did was brush it. the first thing my coworker said when i stepped in was...WOW!! your hair looks so nice!! did you do something to it. and then i responded with funny you asked because...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2010 9:51:00 AM More reviews by Susie31

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

must have the "debris"(pulp) at the bottom of the bottle for best results,ive spent $$$$$THOUSANDS on acne scar products and nothing worked better than this! PLEASE READ ALSO MY "TURMERIC" review,for more info!
faded acne scars like nothing else! this and the turmeric..for me seperately...great under makeup for oily skinned gals like me but stinks too much so around the house I use it.
the turmeric works slightly better and definatley FASTER for even stubborn years old acne scars!
but the turmeric is something you leave on a few minutes to an hour...,a mask..... THIS is like an all day astringent/toner..the BEST astringent toner ever!!!! and ive used all the $20-$30 acne,astringent,toners!!!
Carmindy recommended this as better than expensive stuff too;)!!!
I swipe it on straight..no diluting... with a cotton ball... and just leave it on...
it stings at first and makes your nose open up or whatever..that lasts just a few seconds.will always use this:)
on a side note....if you get a big bottle..go ahead and splash some in your hair PRE shampoo (right before applying shampoo) in the shower..just a spoon or two...
I promise you..your hair will be so soft and shiny! and itll remove all build up in hair(not good if you have color you wanna keep..but works good to remove henna)
im 36 with oily skin and acne scars..... this reduced them, even old ones... like 40% in 2 weeks..ones i had been dealing with for years and years with $$$$,the turmeric knocked them down by 90% after that! wish I knew long ago, so i hope to help others.
if you wanna further increase results buy a bar soap thats like $1.37 and like $1 shipping!!! called "turmeric sandalwood need soap by "auromere" at i herb . com
wowwwwwwww my HG soap!!!!!!!!! for oily skin and scars keep skin matte all day!!! didnt know a soap could do that

17 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No