April 16, 2014 | 1587 users online

Scrubs - Soap and Glory - Flake Away Spa Body Polish

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2009 5:06:00 PM More reviews by chocolatty

I like the result, it is really noticeable. Skin becomes smooth and well exfoliated. Usually i never used any body scrubs, i was lucky enough. But now when the weather is cold and we start to put thick jeans, it became more important.
Anyways, the smell is pretty, and the result is just great. Little hard to wash out completely, but still worth to try!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/20/2009 4:38:00 PM More reviews by twistedlogic

Alright, Soap and Glory, I like this. I like it a lot. Great smell, good ingredients, makes my skin baby smooth. BUT. It annoys the hell out of me that it takes FOREVERRR to get the salt off of me in the shower. I have to re-scrub with a glove every single time to get the salt off. What's up with that? I don't know if it's the salt, 'cause I've never had this problem with sugar scrubs. I am perplexed, S&G, confuzzled.
Will I buy this product again? Maybe. But only if their other non-salt scrubs absolutely suck. I love your scents dearly, S&G. Don't make me do this, you know I don't WANT to boycott Flake Away. We still have a thing going, although she has her faults.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2009 8:55:00 PM More reviews by rosiedmgz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!! this is my first time using this product and im in loooove! its badass, smells sooo good and left my skin feeling super SOFT! i would recommend this to anyone. the scent also stays on your skin for awhile. i fucking love it! :D

rated 3 of 5 on 10/6/2009 6:38:00 PM More reviews by pradachic

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The packaging is very similar to Benefit,young 50's inspired with quirky slogans and phrases. I am on the fence on this one, while I love what it does for my skin it made an almight mess in my shower. There was a film of oil in the tub aftwards which was very slipperly afterwards.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by Cazzy21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this product!!!! such a good scrub to use before using self tanning lotion as it makes the skin so soft!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2009 9:11:00 PM More reviews by yoyocanary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

It exfoliates without scraping my skin. It moisturizes really well. It smells delicious. It's easy to get out of the tub without making a huge mess, and it holds together really well, so there is NO wasted product falling in the bottom of the shower. I will definitely buy this again when I finish my first tub.

Also, the smell is nice, and I like that my skin feels moisturized when I finish. It is too harsh for me to use more than once a week on my sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2009 8:21:00 AM More reviews by jenni1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i luv luv this scrub as it is so moisturising and really scrubs your skin. My routine is to normally pop it on dry skin before i hit the shower and it gets all that patchy tan off and leaves skin silky smooth. great!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2009 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Niamhy93

I bought this product in a set with other soap and glory products and so it is only a small version of the normal size. This Is one of my fav products out of the set! I love the smell and it does a nice job at exfoliating too! I will most liklely be re purchasing the full size. I would recommend if living in Ireland or UK to look in boots after christmas as they usualy have a 50% off sale on these sets!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 10:39:00 PM More reviews by rosietse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this scrub. I wasn't worried about any "skin nourishment", but I bought in hopes of exfoliating my rough and dark spots around my elbows, knees, neck, ankles etc. The product does what it says: it exfoliates dead skin. It smells very nice (not too strongly, though) and isn't too oily and greasy when I apply or after I rinse it away. I believe I purchased it for around 12 CAD and it was well worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2009 5:59:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

Claims - True of False?
1) Go from scaly to radiant: True.

Packaging:
I find that the aesthetics, while cute, are slightly childish for my preferences. The typeface is also quite bulky looking. I would love it if the products came in colours that had something to do with the ingredients, but still integrated the cute and flirty design found in all of their products. However, it makes a fun addition to the shower. The tub design is both effective and a slight drawback - while it allows users to dig all the product out, it also allows for water to drip in, leaving the product watery. Because of the oiliness of the scrub, the lid can be hard to remove and twist back on after a few uses, and when grains from the scrub get on the edge of the lid rim it can be harder to securely close it.

Consistency:
This scrub was reformulated at some point in early or mid 2010, as confirmed by an email from the company. I am unsure as to whether this applies only to the North American version or if the formula has been changed for all versions. I will leave my description of the old formula up in case some tubes still happen to be using the old formula.
OLD:
A thick beige paste with a slightly oily texture and fine grit for exfoliation. The product itself goes on smoothly, has a soft and thick texture, easily blended into the skin. While the base is soft and moisturizing, the grainy beads are mildly rough and invigorating. The contrast leaves skin hydrated and cleansed, without being overly greasy or overly drying. Because the scrub is salt-based, those with more sensitive skin may find this scrub to be too harsh. Because of the abrasive nature, I found that it left my hands numb, and caused temporary redness all over.
NEW:
The base of the scrub is no longer as hard as it once was, making it easier to scoop out. Instead of being beige/yellow in colour, it's almost completely grey. The dark scrubbing particles appear to be smaller, and the sugar particles are very large. It rinses off almost effortlessly, yet still does not dissolve upon contact with the skin, and it does not leave my hands feeling numb after use! I do still get some temporary redness, however this is to be expected from a salt-based scrub. After showering, the skin is left with a moisturizing residue. I find that this does fade by the next morning.

Smell:
Although the smell is quite strong/distinctive, it does not linger very much on the skin - something I am fond of. While I cannot distinguish the fragrance in my mind, I would say that it has an almost nutty aroma. The main ingredient, shea butter, is possibly where this scent comes from.

Bang for your Buck:
This product retails for an average of $10.00CAD for 300ml (**2013, costs about double! :( ). When used once or twice a week, this scrub lasted me about 6 months used all over. If used only on certain areas, it will last much longer.

Final Consensus:
If you are on the market for a thorough, vigorous and moisturizing scrub with a decent price tag, Flake Away is the scrub for you. While women with sensitive skin may find it to be too abrasive, I find that the mild and temporary sensitizing it causes is worth the final results. Ideal for those with rough, dry skin, or for anyone living in a dry/cold climate. I primarily use it on my legs, feet and hands. Highly recommended!
- Pros: Moisturizing, relatively cheap, exfoliates skin nicely, leaves skin feeling smooth and soft, scent is not overly strong, does not dissolve quickly.
- Cons: Can be a little harsh, tub can easily allow water to enter and dilute the scrub, can be a little hard to rinse at times, not a huge fan of the packaging.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 3/5
Would you buy this product again? Yes.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No