July 25, 2014 | 1738 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 3 of 5 on 10/23/2009 9:20:00 PM More reviews by nnylanna

I love, love, love matte nail polish so I bought this topcoat right away. I've been trying to use this topcoat, but I always end up taking it off right after I've applied it. The topcoat dries super fast, but the nail polish is dentable for hours, even when I use drying drops. My manicure gets ruined because I don't have time to wait around for hours for my nails to dry. I'll stick to matte nail polishes without this topcoat.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2009 5:04:00 PM More reviews by ChristmasMom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow! This is a fun product. I have used it over various brands of nail polishes and it completely alters the look. It dries quickly, too. I find that it is most impressive over glitters, sparkles and flakies, and I like the effect more over darker colors. My most recent use of this was with Sephora Opi 212 topped with Creative Nail Design Gold Sparkle. Matte About You produced, over this combination, a blackened brown mattified look that attracted a lot of attention at work. Very cool! I will continue to experiment with it and I expect I will purchase it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2009 2:58:00 AM More reviews by furbz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i pretty much have a love/hate relationship with this topcoat. i love the look of this when it's freshly applied. it turns out perfectly matte over any color and seems to give it a whole new look.

fast forward a few days and it turns your color into something of a dull shine. the true matte look goes away as a result of doing everyday tasks such as washing your hands, cooking, or pretty much anything as far as your hands are concerned. so with that said, i can't completely blame it all on the formula. so sad because i had high hopes for this.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2009 4:56:00 AM More reviews by skandelouslala

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

I guess I'm the debbie downer here in that I'm not really feeling this product. I was completely swooning over matte polishes as soon as I saw them but once I put them on, they kind of lack the wow factor to me. I was so excited about Matte About You but nearly every single time I decide to use it, I end up removing my polish and going back to a shiny finish. It just doesn't look right to me and ruins 99% of the depth and complexity of most colors and makes a lot of them look chaulky and muddy as well. It completely kills the shimmer in most of my polishes that have shimmer which bums me out b/c I was thinking I would get some kind of matte shimmer effect. Nada.
If you like the effect than awesome, b/c you've automatically doubled your nail polish collection just by purchasing this product.
Honestly I haven't worn it enough to comment on wear. I think I've only worn it 24 hours tops before I decided that I needed my polish to have complexity. I have yet to find a shade that the matte makes it more interesting than the original polish.
ETA.... I finally found a use for this in which I really like it. I like the effect it gives over frosty colors or chrome colors. Those shades retain some dimension which look cool matte.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2009 2:52:00 PM More reviews by CellarDoor2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely in love with this top coat. I work for a company that supplies to salons, so when we received it, I immediately purchased it after seeing the great photos of its effect online. I first stumbled across the matte phenomenon by seeing photos of the classic OPI shades in matte. However, with the horrible reviews and photos of badly-chipped nails (since you are not allowed to wear a topcoat with OPI Matte), I didn't even want to try it. Enter Matte About You. Everything about it is great, it turns matte and smooth right in front of your eyes, in seconds! It dries really fast, and serves well as an overall top coat. Unlike OPI Matte, where you have to buy your favourite shade in matte form, you can apply this topcoat on top of ANY nail polish, so the shade possibilities are endless. And since it IS a top coat, it will protect your nail polish (unlike OPI Matte). I got it for around $5, but I would repurchase again and again even for $10. It is truly a unique and great product. Tip: It looks best with darker or vibrant polishes (not sheers).

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2009 11:46:00 AM More reviews by emwo12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this topcoat. I've been trying some of the matte nail polishes from OPI and sephora by OPI and i've been really disappointed with their chunky, uneven application. I was about to give up on the matte nailpolish trend when i found this topcoat. The application is wonderful (i haven't had any of the problems that other reviewers have commented on). On top of that I can use this to turn ANY polish matte. I'm so happy i don't have to repurchase all of my favorite colors in matte form. sooo happy with this purchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by candyrivera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I love love love this top coat! The box reads "turns matte instantly" but I thought it was just a way to get people to buy it more, but wow in seconds it turns into a matte finish, it was so neat. It kind of reminds me of frosted glass effect or something, I think the matte finish is really classy. It dried really fast too (your polish needs to be completely dried too, of course) I'd say abut 60 seconds for me. I didn't have any trouble getting an even coat, maybe because I paint my nails all the time. If you did miss a spot, all you have to do is dab a little bit of it on the spot and it's gone. I was hesitant to buy this since it was 10 dollars for a top coat but I would repurchase! You you like to try new things, like to play with polishes, or just love the all over matte finsih, you must get it!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2009 7:15:00 PM More reviews by odwallalover

I agree with the other reviews, but keep in mind that it IS a ten dollar topcoat...for the price, I was expecting no application issues at all. It's possible to get an even result, but it's also totally likely that the finish will be uneven if you aren't careful.

Using the topcoat also seems to make my polish more likely to chip faster.

With all that in mind, I would still buy this topcoat. It's fun to experiment on all sorts of shades! But I am interested in trying a matte nailpolish to see if I could avoid the headachey application on this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2009 10:34:00 PM More reviews by DiyaSpade

Wow, Im MAD about Matte about You! This makes everything super matte and not just "sort of matte", if that makes sense. With this matte topcoat, I could make everything matte, which saved me money (forget buying those OPI mattes now!). It lasts long too, and dries quickly. I cannot rave enough about this!

The Sephora OPI matte colors looked kinda shiny-ish on me and chipped/dried rather quickly (I bought the black one and Metro Chic matte). Not matte at all, but with Essie MAY top coat in regular Metro Chic, it looked way better than Sephora's matte version and lasted longer on my nails too! Great product! I hope its not LE!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by tammallama

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

LOVE this topcoat!! It dries really fast and is completely even... when I miss a spot I can put a dab on the spot and it's seamless. It wears great without chipping too, I change my polish about every week or so and it didn't budge whatsoever! Great stuff.