Essie Matte About You

4.4

Ehtyl Acetate, Butyl Acetate, Nitrocellulose, Trimethyl Pentanyl Dissobutyrate, Silica, Adipic Acid/neopnetyl Glycol/trimllitic Anhydride Copolymer, Isopropyl Alcohol, Stearalkonum Hectorite, Citric Acid.

on 11/12/2009 4:49:00 AM

I have a love/hate with this topcoat. Before i got Matte About You i bought 2 Matte OPI shades, i loved how they looked, but they completely chipped off by the next day. I finally bought the top coat and at first i loved it, it dried instanstly and made my nails totally matte! my one and only con i have with this is that by the next day the matte was slowly wearing off to a dull shine, i had to reapply the top coat by the second day. By the third day it was practically shiny on me. However it didn't chip. I want to love this and wear it but that's a big con for me, it's fun for maybe the day or if your going out. I'll give it a few more tries though.

on 11/7/2009 10:01:00 PM

I picked this up at Ulta for 20% off $9.99. Considering you can use this matte top coat on ANY polish and it makes it matte - it is a bargain price compared to buying all my fave polishes in their "matte" version. It works wonderfully and dries almost instantly. The color is exactly the same but just NO shine whatsoever. It isn't dry and flaky to the touch either. It's nice and smooth. Well worth the money IMO if you are wanting to try the matte trend this season.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I've been dying to try the matte trend, but I'm on a budget, and buying a bunch of matte colors was just not an option for me. I heard about MAY and decided to give it a try. Well, I love it. I don't know how long it lasts because I haven't left it on for long, but from what I can see, it's great.
It dries extremely quickly and you can literally watch as your color mattes. It does change the color tone a bit, but I think any matte will be flat, so if you don't like the look, you most likely just don't like the matte trend.
That being said, it's worth to try MAY on different polishes, as they all look completely different.
I think it's gorgeous, and because I have so little money, it was a good way for me to transform any color of the polishes I already have to mattes.
I would definitely buy it again.

on 11/2/2009 11:50:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I've bought some matte polishes & been highly unimpressed with how quickly they chip. Also, I found some of them to look too flat, there didn't appear to be any dimension at all.
Enter Matte About You. The first bonus is not having to spend a fortune on buying all your favourite shades again in the matte finish. This one little bottle transforms your whole nail polish wardrobe.
It is matte, but not flat, lifeless matte. Rather, it looks elegant, like frosted glass. Different polish finishes will respond differently. Shimmery polishes look so beautiful with a quick coat of MAY on top. One of my favourite combinations so far has been two coats of OPI's I'm Not Really A Waitress with a thin coat of Zoya's Delilah (or China Glaze Ruby Pumps) on top, then add a coat of MAY.It's transformed into a beautiful, matte red & you can still see the flecks of glitter.
Fantastic stuff.

on 11/1/2009 1:55:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

I've been meaning to try the matte nails but didn't want to buy an entire bottle of the matte stuff. When I went to Han's, the lady recommended this to me. I think this polish does an amazing job of matte-ifying the nail polish. I tried it over my OPI Green grape color and it looks amazing!!! However, I have to agree that although the top coat did dry pretty quickly, the polish underneath took an extra long time to dry. I ended up with several dents on my nails. I'll just have to be extra careful when using it next time. I can't wait to see what it looks like over the rest of my nail polishes!!

on 10/28/2009 8:21:00 AM

I love this! I just bought it and it looks fab over Essie's Wicked - really capturing the trend of the season. I've also tried it over Revlon's Steel-her Heart -- very cool. I love how fast it dries too. I don't seem to have the same problem that the previous reviewer has with denting - I painted my nails at night let it dry for a few minutes and then went to bed with no troubles. There also hasn't been any chipping. It is more likely to wear down around the edges than to chip. Overall a great product!

on 10/23/2009 9:20:00 PM

I love, love, love matte nail polish so I bought this topcoat right away. I've been trying to use this topcoat, but I always end up taking it off right after I've applied it. The topcoat dries super fast, but the nail polish is dentable for hours, even when I use drying drops. My manicure gets ruined because I don't have time to wait around for hours for my nails to dry. I'll stick to matte nail polishes without this topcoat.

on 10/23/2009 5:04:00 PM

Wow! This is a fun product. I have used it over various brands of nail polishes and it completely alters the look. It dries quickly, too. I find that it is most impressive over glitters, sparkles and flakies, and I like the effect more over darker colors. My most recent use of this was with Sephora Opi 212 topped with Creative Nail Design Gold Sparkle. Matte About You produced, over this combination, a blackened brown mattified look that attracted a lot of attention at work. Very cool! I will continue to experiment with it and I expect I will purchase it again.

on 10/20/2009 2:58:00 AM

i pretty much have a love/hate relationship with this topcoat. i love the look of this when it's freshly applied. it turns out perfectly matte over any color and seems to give it a whole new look.

fast forward a few days and it turns your color into something of a dull shine. the true matte look goes away as a result of doing everyday tasks such as washing your hands, cooking, or pretty much anything as far as your hands are concerned. so with that said, i can't completely blame it all on the formula. so sad because i had high hopes for this.

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I guess I'm the debbie downer here in that I'm not really feeling this product. I was completely swooning over matte polishes as soon as I saw them but once I put them on, they kind of lack the wow factor to me. I was so excited about Matte About You but nearly every single time I decide to use it, I end up removing my polish and going back to a shiny finish. It just doesn't look right to me and ruins 99% of the depth and complexity of most colors and makes a lot of them look chaulky and muddy as well. It completely kills the shimmer in most of my polishes that have shimmer which bums me out b/c I was thinking I would get some kind of matte shimmer effect. Nada.
If you like the effect than awesome, b/c you've automatically doubled your nail polish collection just by purchasing this product.
Honestly I haven't worn it enough to comment on wear. I think I've only worn it 24 hours tops before I decided that I needed my polish to have complexity. I have yet to find a shade that the matte makes it more interesting than the original polish.
ETA.... I finally found a use for this in which I really like it. I like the effect it gives over frosty colors or chrome colors. Those shades retain some dimension which look cool matte.

Top Rated Essie Products