October 26, 2014 | 1571 users online

Brows - Shu Uemura - Brow Pencil

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2008 6:50:00 PM More reviews by ShannonLam

Review: H9 Eyebrow Pencil in Seal Brown

At first I was a little bit skeptical. I thought it was a bit too hard and I found myself pressing down really hard on my skin in order to see anything. After a few times, I got the hang of it and now I think I like the fact that it is hard. You get a clean and precise line and because the application is light, you won't get any smudges. I would purchase this again. I think it is relatively cheap because it seems like it would last for a very long time.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2008 4:30:00 AM More reviews by lsyu

I bought the H9 eyebrow pencil in seal brown based on the reviews here. I'm asian, NC30, MMM and have used everything from Kevyn Aucoin's retractable pencil - a little too red and brown for my taste - to Chanel's blond cendre - a little too brown too.

Shu's pencil is $22 at Nordstroms, which I think is pretty pricey, but it's cheaper than KA's and Chanel's. I will pay insane amounts for makeup if I think it's worth it. I think Shu's pencil is worth it. I bought it more for the color than anything else - I don't think it's application is different from any other eyebrow pencil, except maybe it's a bit harder - so I know this pencil will last forever.

Application: my pencil is sharpened like a regular pencil - no fancy sharpening for me - I'm afraid they'll waste too much of my pencil and I don't live close enough to a Shu store to get this done frequently. Anyway, I apply this pencil in very light, short strokes, then I go over it again until I get my desired shape - I prefer very natural looking brows, especially since they're on the darker side - so after I apply, I go over my brows with a spoolie brush to soften it up a little bit.

I gotta say, if I wasn't the one drawing on my brows every morning, I wouldn't know anything was there. It's so natural and it lasts ALL day. I still keep my Chanel blond cendre and Kevyn Aucoin pencils as backups - just in case I lose my Shu pencil - but the brows are my most important makeup step in the mornings.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2008 5:06:00 PM More reviews by swolf123

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this in Stone gray, for my jet black thick brows. I have to say that this pencil gives me the most groomed and natural looking brows I have ever had. I have never found a good shade of black, charcoal or gray. I have been using a Gray Mac shadow for grooming. This makes for super easy application, and with the promise that it will last a super long time, it is a very good investment. HG, TY

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2008 3:51:00 PM More reviews by meepo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow I'm very happy with this pencil! My Asian eyebrows are pretty sparse as they grow out towards my temples, so I look washed out if I don't draw them in. I've tried many other brands, but nothing has ever made my brows look as good as they do when I use the Shu pencil.. This isn't too waxy/soft, not too hard, just perfect. I purchased the Stone Gray online, and it turns out to be a soft brown-black that is very natural and not too brown for my black hair, but at the same time is not too dark and harsh. I was initially torn between this and the Shiseido brow pencil which also got good reviews, but I tried it on my hand at Sephora and it seemed too waxy & unnatural.. I'm glad I got this one instead! <3

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2008 11:31:00 PM More reviews by Artbabe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Excellent brow pencil. I have very light blonde, nearly white eyebrows; not super thin but they need filling in in spots. I bought the Shu Hard pencil in Seal Brown after trying many other products and I have to say this gives me the most natural but polished-looking brows. My brow color is tricky because I color my hair a cool red and everyone wants to give me either warm brown or warm red brows, and neither look right. Seal Brown is an ash brown, not too dark, and works with the cool red. You must keep it sharpened (I just use a regular sharpener, I could do the hand-sharpening thing, but it arrived with a standard pointed end so I'm keeping it that way.) It doesn't deliver much color payoff when it's rounded and dull from use. So keep it sharp, apply in even pencil strokes, go over your brows gently with a spoolie brush when you're done. You'll have terrific looking brows that hold up through a long day without needing touchups.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2008 11:10:00 PM More reviews by Meliamalia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Seal Brown 02. In my experience with the product- It is horrible..Gave it one lippie for the nice color (when I could see it.) I understand it works with the oil on your eyebrow hair, blah blah blah. When I COULD fully get it on my brows(once), it didnt stay long. I've got a little oil in the Tzone as it is and still a huge pain to use! Too much drama for a so-called upscale $22 dollar pencil! I'm happy for the people it worked on, but as for me this was a complete waste of a gift card and my time. EDIT: 8/2008. I tried and tried to contact Shu Uemura to ask if I was doing anything wrong using this pencil or if maybe I got a dud. No response. I'd like to take the one lippy remaining off for that :) I did some research on my own, and a nice lady at the dept. store cosmetics counter told me the pencil did not work on me because I didn't have "enough" brow hair for the color to adhere to. (Well, if I had enough brow hair, I wouldn't be looking for a brow pencil.) Maybe Shu should mention that on their site. Save people like me a lot of trouble.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2008 3:12:00 PM More reviews by voravons

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hmm, I'm torn on this product. I bought the brow pencil in Stone Gray, and it's a great match for my black brows. It's more of a black-brown shade that gray, so the name is somewhat misleading. Fills in my sparse brows nicely, however sometimes it looks fabulous, sometimes not because it won't show up at all. Perhaps it's my application that I need to work on. I apply over an eyeshadow primer (ArtDeco's) and use in conjunction with Make Up For Ever's eyebrow corrector so I don't know how it could vary daily. For now, I'll repurchase because when it works, it *really* works.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2007 7:42:00 PM More reviews by tohatobaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have sparse eyebrows and this is the best eyepencil on the market!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2007 2:26:00 PM More reviews by trulylovely

To start off, I have thin sparse brows from overplucking in 7th grade. For the past 2 years, I have been looking for a product to fill in and slightly define my brows, without looking unnatural. I have tried so many brow products, including powders, like NYX Browser, and Smashbox Brow Tech, pencils from many brands, and gels, and nothing ever looks natural on me. I have black hair and brown eyes, and I'm part Japanese. Typically, brown powders have too much of a red tone, and black looks too harsh on me. I finally gave up and succumbed to sparse brows.

But after hearing so many raves about the Shu hard pencil, I decided to take the plunge. I searched online for my color, and found Seal Brown, which I thought might be too red for me. I couldn't find a black color online, so I went to Nordstrom and found Black and Stone Gray. The SA tried both on me and we decided the Black was too harsh, but Stone Gray was perfect. Its more of a black gray, without the harsh black tones. This is an amazing brow pencil, and fills in my brows without looking fake or crazy. I would recommend this pencil to anyone! Even though it is crazy expensive (I still can't believe I spent $22 on a pencil) it is definitely worth it, and I will repurchase when I need to, because I've never found anything that works this well.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/7/2007 2:54:00 PM More reviews by lefay

There's probably little I can add to the other rave reviews of this product -- but I've searched so long for a good brow pencil that this was a revelation for me. My hair is dark but my brows are very sparse; I don't leave the house without brow pencil. Powders never worked for me: they're not substantial enough to fill in the space, and they disappear on my oily skin within an hour or two. Other pencils I've tried -- even high-end products -- were too creamy or crumbly on application and always looked drawn on, no matter how carefully I used them. Hard formula takes a little diligence to apply -- it doesn't give up its color easily and tugs a bit at the skin -- but the result is brows that look filled in, well shaped, and softly natural. (And with a little persistence, it *does* draw on the skin, not just on the hairs.) The pencil is pricey but lasts forever. I've been using acorn, since that was the darkest color available when I bought it, but it sounds like the seal brown might be even better.
**Since writing this original review I've discovered the Philosophy Super Natural brow pencil, which is superior in that it goes on smoothly, never needs sharpening (the very thin "lead" twists out, like an automatic pencil), and has a brow brush at the other end.