Burt's Bees Natural Acne Solutions - Purifying Gel Cleanser

3.6

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Active Ingredients: Salicylic Acid (1.0%)(Acne Treatment) Inactive Ingredients: Water, Decyl Glucoside, Lauryl Glucoside, Sucrose Laurate, Salix Nigra Bark Extract (Willow), Coco Betaine, Betaine, Beta Vulgaris Root Extract (Beet), Oenothera Biennis Leaf Extract (Evening Primrose), Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Glycerin, Glyceryl Oleate, Coco Glucoside, Fragrance, Glucose, Alcohol Denat., Glucose Oxidase, Lactoperoxidase, Citric Acid, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol

on 1/2/2010 8:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

After reading all the great reviews here on MUA, I went out and bought this. Unfortunately, it did nothing for me. It may have decreased oil production somewhat (and I'm not positive it did even that), but it did absolutely nothing for my moderate acne. Will not repurchase.

on 12/16/2009 1:38:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have used this for one month, or a little more. I was suffering tiny little bumps from a reaction to a product, plus my usual hormonal acne. This helped clear up the little bumps to an extent, but didn't do much more than that, except dry out my skin, which is dry to begin with. I imagine this would be a great soap for someone with very oily skin, as it did decrease my oil production. The bottle didn't give me any trouble, and the formula is not too watery, as many have said, it's not really a gel, though. The smell is pleasent, and like that citrus furniture polish, so it's a clean smell, for sure. Overall I think this is a good product, just not for my dry, sensitive skin.

on 12/15/2009 6:44:00 PM

This is the best acne wash I have found! Ive tried all kinds of acne washes on my sensitive skin but this is the best. I used regular burts bees body wash for my face and that was working. I was so excited when burts bees came out with the acne care system. It is not harsh at all and lasts a long time. There is a little left after three months of washing twice a day. I also have the lotion and scrub (which i only use once a week). My acne prone skin has definetly shown improvement!

on 12/8/2009 6:40:00 PM

About a year ago I began breaking out on my T-zone, cheeks(I have NEVER gotten acne here!), and chin. My once clear skin was freaking out, and since then I've been trying all sorts of oil-based, foaming, non-foaming cleansers. Finally, I realized I needed something effective like salicylic acid to clear out my pores. I bought this cleanser after reading positive reviews, and am happy to say that my breakouts are subsiding. My skin is so sensitive these days that it seems anything will break it out. I'm really happy with this product; it doesn't dry my skin out and washes off foundation, sunscreen, and whatever else I have on my face. I follow with toner and moisturizer. It's liquidy and you don't need too much; it also doesn't foam too much- which probably is great for not drying out skin. Will continue using unless anything bad happens.

on 12/5/2009 10:45:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Burt's Bees Acne Solutions has been more effective at clearing my complexion than AcneFree. Plus, it doesn't irritate my skin. The consistency of the cleanser is light, and the scent is refreshing.

on 12/2/2009 4:34:00 PM

I am surprised there are so many positive reviews for this product. I know a product can work differently for different people, and it just did nothing for me. The bottle is awkward to use when you are trying to wash your face. Also, my skin became incredibly dry while using this product. My acne did not clear up, I feel like I have more zits now. I did try to use this for about a month but I still see no benefits to using this. I will not be trying this again.

After I read the reviews on here, I was so excited to try it! I didn't have a lot of acne at that point (one or maybe two small ones) but I wanted to use something that would keep it that way. I felt ok after using the cleanser for the first couple of days. My skin felt clean afterwards and I liked that feeling. But after 2-3 days of using it, I started breaking out like crazy. I don't think I've seen my face in this condition since I was a teenager. Horrifying! This was the only thing I changed in my skin regimen, so I'm pretty sure this cleanser is the cause. At first I thought that maybe the cleanser is bringing out the impurities in my skin, so I stuck to it for a week or so. But, nope, it just got worse and worse and worse.

I went to a skincare store the other day and asked the sales associate if she would recommend anything for acne (now that I have a full-blown case of acne) that would also be gentle on the skin and she said no. The store does carry acne treatments but she wouldn't even let me see them because she said that if my skin is even a little bit sensitive, anything organically derived from plants (that was the only thing they had for acne) would most likely worsen my condition. Well, I think that's what happened with Burt's Bees cleanser. I'm sure it worked for some people, but for me it was a complete disaster...

And forgot to mention the packaging... The consistency of this cleanser is VERY liquid-y. So, when you pour it out of the bottle, it's like pouring out water. You have to be super careful with it.

on 11/30/2009 5:34:00 PM

I have dry skin and I get a few zits around my time of the month, but it takes a while for them to go away. Hoping that this would prevent the zits and clear up the existing ones, I bought this wash at my local CVS. I had already tried the scrub and loved it, so I thought that this would be just as fantastic. I was wrong. Upon using this, I woke up with three new zits in areas of my face that I have never broken out in before. I continued the use of this in the morning and evening for two weeks until my skin was so dry that I couldn't take it anymore. Do I think that this would be a good cleanser for those with normal to oily skin? Yes. It is a nice acne cleanser, but you must be willing to give up your skins natural oils. My skin also felt itchy due to the extreme dryness. I will not continue to use this product, and will not buy again.

on 11/25/2009 10:12:00 PM

It's been much more effective in clearing up my skin than other salicylic acid washes (Neutrogena, Olay). I only need to use a tiny amount and I like the slightly odd, woodsy/licorice smell.

on 10/31/2009 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Since I started noticing the start of aging (sagging and wrinkling) on my face, I bought a Clarisonic and was on the search for the perfect accompanying cleanser (I didn't like the ingredients of the clarisonic cleansers). I recently had some luck with the Burts Bees ageless serum and decided to try this natural acne cleansing gel - the ingredient list seemed like it could work for aging and the occasional breakout I get. I've been using it for about a month now and am quite satisfied! In fact, I got compliments on my skin after getting off a 16-hour flight recently. My only two gripes are (1) I've only seen this at Target so far, which isn't really convenient for me; (2) the consistency is very thin, not a gel at all, so I'm probably using/spilling more. That 2nd gripe is no big deal though. I'm on my second bottle and am fretting that the lack of availability spells trouble for this natural acne solutions line. My fingers are crossed that they keep this around.