Rimmel Sexy Curves Waterproof

1.8

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

For reference: I have small-ish, very deep set eyes. I usually like more dramatic mascaras, but in this case I wanted an every-day, natural type of mascara. I bought this in the color "001 Black" without checking MUA first (a mistake).

**Please check the pictures at the end for before and after shots and product photos. (Press "CONTINUE" to see them)**

DESCRIPTION OF FORMULA: Rimmel promises that it is a "100% waterproof formula" that provides "up to 70% more curl and voluptuous volume," and that the mascara "removes easily with regular eye makeup remover." I found that this is a very natural mascara (looks almost like bare lashes), will not give you much volume or length, and that it will probably flatten your curl. The formula on this one is pretty thin and very, very wet which leads to problems with drying time.

PRICE: (1 = dirt cheap, 5 = expensive) 1.5/5

Around 7 USD for 8 ml (0.27 fl oz).

APPLICATOR: 4/5

It's a pretty narrow and long plastic brush that curves in and out (see picture below). The brush is okay. It's not sharp, but obviously it's a bad idea to poke yourself in the eye with it. The narrowness of the brush would also allow it to work for people with small eyes, who might have trouble with big applicators. The bristles are also of a nice length and can effectively comb out the lashes. It looks like it's constructed with a natural lash look in mind.

LASH EFFECT: 2/5

(See pictures below, please.) I wasn't expecting lush lashes, but even judging it along natural mascara standards, this failed to deliver. As you can see, 2 coats hardly made a difference on my lashes. I had to seriously layer the product while twirling and jiggling the brush. And even then, when I had basically gooped as much as I could on my lashes without creating spider lash spikes, it didn't volumize or lengthen as well as 2 light coats of CoverGirl Lash Exact or of L'Oreal Lash Out. As for curling, I didn't see much effect at all. In fact, it looks like it straightened my lashes a bit. Usually waterproof mascaras tend to hold a better curl than regular mascaras because they have more wax in them, but this one's formula is so wet that it straightens out the curl. The overall effect would have been okay for a natural-look mascara if it had taken 2 coats to achieve, not more than 4.

DRYING TIME: 0/5

Very, very slow. This is actually one of my biggest problems with this mascara, and the biggest reason why I would not repurchase this. If you do just one swipe, give this about 2-3 minutes before it gets dry enough that it won't get all over the place. If you layer it a lot, like I do, give this at least 10-15 minutes. Otherwise, you will end up with ugly black smudges on your lids and undereyes.

STAYING POWER: 4.5/5

Very good. It lasts pretty much all day with little to no flaking.

WATERPROOF: 4/5

If you get water on your eyes, this isn't going to run down your face, but some will come off onto your fingers if you rub your lashes. This is probably because it was formulated to come off with regular makeup remover.

REMOVABILITY: 5/5

What I did like is that it is pretty easy to get this off with soap and water. Sometimes even non-waterproof mascaras don't like to come off, and they leave a residue or stain on my skin. I had no problems removing this mascara.

PACKAGING: 4.5/5

The packaging doesn't look or feel particularly high end, but it is very sturdy and eye-catching. The mascara comes in a curving, really bright, metallic aqua, plastic tube. The tube's lettering is white, and interestingly hasn't faded at all, despite being carried around in my school bag along with my pens, pencils and various other paraphenelia for over a month. Normally the lettering on lipglosses and mascaras will have faded significantly by that point. All I can see in fact are a few minor scratches on the aqua tube, which reveal a silver undercoat.

MISC

I have very sensitive eyes and this mascara did not bother them. If you are concerned, you should check with your doctor whether this mascara is okay for you.

OVERALL: 2/5

I really didn't like this mascara. While it is true that I tend to like a more dramatic and volumized lashes in general, I feel that as far as more everyday mascaras go, this still didn't measure up. What really lowered its rating is the slow drying time. I don't have the time or patience to watch how I blink or smile for 15 minutes after application. I shouldn't have to goop on more than 4 coats to get such a minimal effect, when I could just as easily swipe another mascara over my lashes and be done in under a minute. Your mileage may vary of course, since mascaras work so differently on people, but I personally will not be repurchasing. Once I get to 3 months with this mascara I'm happily throwing it out.

Thanks so much for reading my review! I hope it was helpful to you.

PICTURES: (Please press "CONTINUE" to see them)

I didn't use a lash curler, and I'm not wearing any concealer, so behold my dark circles in all their glory. =D

My natural lashes.

Two coats. Barely any difference from the original lashes.

Several (I lost count after 4) coats after drying for 20 minutes. So not worth the effort.

And a distance shot to show that the effect after so many coats really isn't anything to write home about.

continued >>

on 10/13/2010 6:32:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I bought this mascara after hearing about how great it was. Big Mistake! When I first bought it about 2 months ago, I really hated it; it was too wet and it just clumped. I thought about throwing it out and I believed I had until yesterday that is. I tried it again after seeing a video on YT. I dug it out and used it and here are my thoughts. First off, it had dried out and was not as wet as it was when I first bought it (about 2 months ago). I found that the trick for me, as I have pretty long and somewhat thick lashes) is to use one of those metal eyelash combs you can get from Sally's and it helps with the clumping. It is not as bad as I had previously thought. To take it off I use Sonia Kashuk's Makeup Eye Remover and it does a great job. But I would definitely not repurchase this mascara again.

on 10/5/2010 9:16:00 PM

I hate this mascara so much! it takes forever to dry!! n it's not Waterproof at all! This is my first Rimmel product.. I guess i will never buy their products again!!

on 10/5/2010 5:34:00 AM

Horrible mascara. It dries very hard, I think it took at least 5 minutes until it was completely dry. Also it is not really waterproof, if you put your wet hands on your eyes, the mascara will come off and once it's on your skin it is hard to take it off ( yes, only then it is waterproof). Other "qualities", it doesn't curl your eyelashes (like the non waterproof), it doesn't hold the curls, it doesn't give volume. I think it gives some lenght, but it's hard to tell when your eyelashes are so straight.

on 10/1/2010 9:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I liked how Sexy Curves Waterproof dried on my lashes. The formula is pretty lightweight, and it was able to help my lashes maintain their curl. Also, once dry, I didn't experience any smearing, even on my sweatier days - truly waterproof. Unfortunately, it took a pretty long time for the mascara to dry. Most times, I would lose my patience and just end up wiping away any excess mascara to help it dry quicker.

on 9/25/2010 5:09:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This was undoubtedly my worst mascara experience ever. A friend bought me the non-waterproof one last Christmas and I quite liked it. As I use hot water continously at work and tend to sweat a little, I decided to purchase the waterproof version.

Horrendous mistake. For a start, it put me out of pocket by about $17 (makeups are more expensive here [Australia]).

The application was awful. The non-waterproof one went on reasonably well and I only had to comb out my lashes a little. This one was like wall paper glue. Instantly, my lashes were gummed together into a disgusting sticky blob. I keep an old mascara brush hand to comb out my lashes after applying mascara, but it helped very little. The mascara is so sticky that it is very hard separate the lashes, and if you do separate them, they stick back together.

Multiple coats or touch ups are a nightmare because it speedily achieves a bubble gum like texture making reapplication virtually impossible.

Yet despite drying to this point very rapidly, it does not appear to dry much more. It remains tacky for hours. A hard blink will transfer lines of mascara onto your skin hours after you've applied it.

Yet...despite remaining a tacky, sticky mess it is hard to remove. Once again...it is gum like. It sticks in chunks to the base of my eye lashes. I had to shampoo my eye lashes!!

This brings me to my final complaint. As a waterproof mascara, it's not very stayfast. It tends to disappear from the tips of lashes and ends up looking as though you have no mascara on...while still managing to cling in sticky chunks to the base of your lashes.

It is a sticky, disgusting, overpriced MESS.

I'm very disappointed - I love Rimmel, but this product is awful

I DO NOT like this product. I don't find it to add volume to or thicken my lashes which is one of the traits i'd excpect a mascara to have. My lashes end up looking far too separated and feel it no where near lenghtens/volumizes them to the fullest degree. I felt like it left my lashes wet and pulled on them when i applied it. Very unpleasant!! I found it a nightmare to remove. I did use an oil based eye make-up remover but the 'crispy' aspect that the mascara gave to my lashes made the removal of it rather unpleasant.

If i HAD to make this a balanced review, i'd mention that the wand is synthetic, long and thin which makes application quite easy. As the name suggests, it really does add a curve to your lashes and the packaging is quite fun, vibrant and different. However, from what i've gathered from my expereicne using this mascara, i will not be re-purchasing. I was hoping to have a better expereicne with it as a lot of people have recommended it. Perhaps the waterproof formulation isn't the same as the original?

on 9/2/2010 12:45:00 PM

This is my first product from Rimmel, Im more of a maybelline/max factor kinda girl when it comes to mascaras.
Sadly enough thgis mascara didnt worked for me.
I always buy waterproof mascaras because i find that they are better at holding a curl, and I really need that precious curl because I have these straight stumpy asian lashes.
The biggest problem is that the formula is very wet, and thats what makes my lashes go down again.
Besides that I think its an ok mascara, just not for ppl who are looking for a mascara that can hold a curl.

on 9/1/2010 11:15:00 PM

Waterproof mascara my a***. HORRIBLE PRODUCT! This does not hold a curl at all and takes forever to dry. I wish I could return this, but I bought it at Walmart. I think I only paid $3-4 for this since I had a coupon, so it's not that big of a loss of money. Packaging is cute though, but the brush is horrible. The brush reminds me of this japanese mascara brush, I forgot what the brand was.

on 8/26/2010 6:54:00 PM

This is the worst mascara I have ever used! The brush is horrible, I understand they're trying to be all cutesy with the weird brush but it's not functional at all! The mascara hardly gets on your eyelashes. Don't buy this!