October 2, 2014 | 1537 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/4/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by Phanatical28

While a huge mascara fan, I'm the first to admit I don't really have much experience with waterproof mascaras. I love the non-waterproof version of this, so I decided to give its waterproof sister a try. My main gripe with waterproof mascara is I can never get the same results as a regular one, which is additional length and volume. I don't want just "definition." With this, I do get some more length and volume, though not as much as with my favorite mascaras. However, it flaked on me almost as soon as I got in the pool! Now I did rub at my eyes just a bit, as my contacts were bothering me from the chlorine. But when I say this flaked, it was a definite raccoon look! The moral off the story is, I think this is a good waterproof mascara for accidentally being caught in the rain, or some gentle wave splashes, but for full-on submersion this doesn't fit my bill. I'll continue to use it for beach days and the like, but if you're looking for something to really stand up to lots of intense water activities, I wouldn't say this is it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2011 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Malalalell

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This mascara has great pros, but the cons are outrageous!

The brush especially provides great separation, volume, length, etc. My boyfriend tells me my lashes look perfect.

But as said by other reviews, I get raccoon eyes after an hour. I was expecting so much from this mascara because of the great reviews on YouTube, but it didn't come through.

It doesn't provide it's number one purpose, waterproof! I go in the pool and it comes right off. No point in buying this at all. I feel totally ripped off due to the price here in Canada as well. Never buying again.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2011 2:13:00 AM More reviews by edivine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

love the way this applies and looks. with just one application, you can see great volume and length built on your lashes. i just wish the waterproof formula was a bit better. the sad thing is that it smudges under my eyes in the middle of the day =/

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by oxnicoleox3

I so wanted to like this product so much more! I thought it would be better than the original. But, it's just "okay." I feel like the separation quality sucks, and the lengthening quality is short-lived. I was expecting this to make my lashes super dramatic, but it didn't at all. This is more of a natural/day look than anything else. It's also a pain to get off and smudges easily. I only really wear this when I need my makeup to stay on if I know I'll be sweating or won't have time to touch up.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by vegansaurus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This mascara left me disappointed. While it doesn't clump, it does smudge within an hour of application, leaving you with raccoon eyes. I regret not reading reviews prior to purchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2011 7:44:00 PM More reviews by sugarhype10

I purchased this product because Walgreens was having a BOGO sale, and I figured, "Why not?". I've tried the original Voluminous mascara before, and I HATED it. The formula was clumpy and it smudged. I did not have very high expectations for the waterproof carbon black formula, but lo and behold, I loove this mscara! There was no clumping and no smudging, and my lashes maintained their curls. I'm not giving this product a 5 because although it did darken my lashes and thicken it a bit, the effect is no where near as dramatic as I had expected. This mascara is wonderful, but it's not something to "Ooh" and "Ahh" over.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/16/2011 3:21:00 PM More reviews by OHNOSOPHiE

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I"ve heard a lot of positive reviews for the Voluminous mascara but I wanted the waterproof and Carbon Black for more intense color. Unlike some people, I have not experienced any smudging. It's hot in NYC now but my mascara has not budged. No raccoon eyes at all. I really like the brush as it helps to coat every lash. However, the mascara is heavy as it uncurls my lashes after a apply a few coat. It adds a ton of volume but you have to apply with a light hand as the formula is kind of wet when you take the wand out. I let it sit out for about a minute before applying the mascara and you have to carefully apply. I love the volume it gives, but like some reviews here, it does not hold a curl and likely the reason I will not be purchasing again. It's also a pain to take off. When you take it off, because of it's pigment, it gets everywhere. I use an oil based remover otherwise i'd be scrubbing until the next morning.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by lalaland

I'm not a huge mascara kind of girl, or at least I was not since my lashes are sparse and straight. Even when I curl them they tend not to stay no matter the method. But this mascara really holds the curl and makes my lashes fuller and darker. I tried the shiseido lifting curl one and I have a review on it, it pretty much is too drying and I don't find that it makes my lashes look any nicer than another mascara. This mascara does work best when it dries out, but I'm on my second one and it still does wonders when its new. I don't have a problem with it transferring or flaking. I use two coats, but it seems to be just fine with one. I use the wiggling at the base, flaring at the the ends method if that makes any sense.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by whawhawhacawhaaawhaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't understand all the bad reviews!! Perhaps it's because I waited a few months before I decided to use this again, but the formulas drier now and it does wonders to my Asian lashes! It lengthened them pretty well, with a little bit of volume (think it should be advertised as more of a lengthening mascara) but either way my lashes look beautiful and I got several compliments on them! It didn't smudge AT ALL again, it's probably because I waited a few months, and it does start to flake after 5 hours, which isn't so bad since school ends around that time hehe ^^ One of the easiest waterproof mascaras I've found to remove! Overall a great product for a decent price so I will be buying again!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by thecrazyfilipino

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

It's definitely not the best. I was looking forward to using it because so many beauty gurus love it, but it smudged on me, and it weighed down my lashes because they are pretty short. However, it made my lashes look so dark and dramatic! But there are better mascaras out there than this one. I'll have to pass on it.