April 24, 2014 | 895 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Make Up For Ever - HD Microperfecting Primer in 1 Green

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2009 10:09:00 AM More reviews by brillopad

This primer is almost like a Photoshop tool to get rid of redness in your skin. I have very prominent facial redness and although this primer didn't get rid of all of it, it did a very, very good job. It definitely cut down on the "flushed" look without making me look like Shrek and it is also the best green colored product I have ever used, for instance Physician's Formula stuff.

You can just pat this primer onto clean, dry skin and then put a layer over of some foundation. The texture is a little runny but nothing too difficult to work with. I got a sample of this stuff from Sephora but am on the fence about buying a full-size bottle because it is fragranced and it has silicones in it, both of which are bad for my dry, acne prone skin.

I've only used the primer for two days so I can't say if it will break you out or not, but I don't think the primer did much to make my foundation go on better or last longer. If I were to buy it, I would just be buying it for its red-diminishing properties.

UPDATE: So, I took the plunge and finally bought a full-size bottle. I've been using it for a few weeks and I've got to say, I love it! Together with my trusty Shiseido foundation, this green primer does a fantastic job reducing facial redness without breaking me out. The primer also "fills in" my pores and makes my dry skin look smoother. The only thing is, I'm not sure the primer helps my foundation last longer. It makes my foundation look better upon application, but... towards the end of the day, my skin gets oily like it normally does. Anyway, a great product, but $$$ so buy during Sephora's FF sale!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2009 10:08:00 AM More reviews by imbettingonalice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The Good: Goes on nicely, tones down redness, looks and feels nice under makeup.

The Bad: It didn't do much to make my pores appear smaller, stung the sensitive area around my nose, and I'm almost positive it has been making me break out(which rarely happens).

It's a nice product, but not for me. I'll probably exchange it at Sephora for a different primer.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2009 4:02:00 PM More reviews by babyscorpion

My HG Primer, I absolutely love it. Currently i have a lot of blemishes. My face is acne prone due to hormonal imbalances. Therefore i am constantly dealing with those red spots, plus my skin has some redness on my cheeks in general. This primer helps with neutralizing the redness on my face. I love the texture and how it matifies my skin. It does not leave it greasy. Just the perfect base to then apply my concelear and my foundation. I have tried this primer with different foundations without any problems at all. Highly recommend you checking out this primer. In my opionion, much better than the Smashbox that i tried.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2009 8:50:00 PM More reviews by lrinke218

This primer works wonders. It reduces red tones, minimizes pores, and keeps make up looking fresh and clean all day. It goes on silky smooth and dries quickly.

I love that it comes in a pump. I think it's very affordable considering it only takes a small amount and it smells good!

Will continue to repurchase as necessary.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2009 9:49:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

I really like this primer. I tried it a few times in Sephora, and then got a sample before I decided that it was worth the cost and bought a whole bottle.

The texture of this primer is great. I use one pump for my whole face, and it goes on very evenly and sinks right into my skin (I have combination skin, slightly dry on my cheeks, slightly oily in my t-zone). It feels good on my skin, - like my skin is lightly moisturized, not like I'm wearing makeup. I think this primer reduces both the appearance and the feel of imperfections like dry flakey skin, large pores, or bumps. (Read: *reduces* not *eliminates*.) The texture is not supernaturally silky smooth like I have experienced with some primers, it's just nicely smooth and ready for makeup application.

Makeup applies more smoothly and naturally over this primer. This helps keep my makeup from sinking into the larger pores around my nose, and every foundation or concealer that I've tried over it applies nicely.

In terms of color, this primer does help reduce the redness in my skin. My complexion is fairly neutral, and quite pale (NC/W 15-20ish in the MAC range), but I have a lot of redness, especially in my cheeks. Also, when I break out, even once blemishes are healed, it takes a long time for the red/purple marks to fade away. This primer does not erase redness or imperfections from my skin, but it does tone them down, and help them sort of "fade into the background". I can still see a red-toned flush on my cheeks, but it's not as loud as it is without this primer. I can still see the imperfections in my skin, but they are less obvious. The greenness of the primer completely disappears into my skin, BUT my skin appears slightly warmer toned (as in more yellow) than it looks alone. I'm not saying it turns my skin yellow - this is a subtle difference, not a major one, - but if you are concerned about your skin appearing yellowish, you might be better advised to try the Blue primer in this line. A minor warming in my skin-tone is no problem for me, I actually didn't notice it at first.

I use only one pump of this primer, which I put onto my hand, and then I dot it around my face and spread it and blend it in with my fingers. (The way I noticed the yellow in the first place was because it leaves a bit of a yellow "stain" on my hand and my fingers after I use it - this comes off if I wash my hands.)

I will continue to repurchase this, but I might consider getting the Blue primer from this line as well and mixing them together, or just seeing if that color is also good on me.

For those with a lot of redness that they're looking to cover - if I use this, and the follow it with Shiseido's Color Control stick (a light yellowish green) over the places on my face with the most redness, and then blend it in well, that covers just about everything. Using foundation as well covers it all. Most of the time I'm happy with one or the other, but if I'm trying to make my face look really perfect I'll use a light application of both.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/25/2009 11:07:00 PM More reviews by VeryVain1985

Edit: 20/02/2010: For those who wants to save money on a green based primer which is similar to this one, try the Boots No7 Colour Calming Make Up Base in green. Texture and coverage are exactly the same... and yes I'm not liking the Boots one either, but I just wanted you guys to know that there's a cheaper alternative out there.

Original review: Based on the reviews here I decided to purchase this primer. I thought this product might tone down the red undertones on my face. The texture is like a lightweight gel and I really do think that this primer is too sheer and too watery to be able to tone down the redness. After I've applied the primer I can hardly notice anything different in my skin color. The funny thing is that somehow the green color stays better on my hands than on my face.

Ok, no big deal I thought. Because if this primer leaves a great canvas (smaller pores, smooth base) for my foundation I would be pleased as well... Unfortunately I'm dissapointed again in this area. I've combination skin with some flakes and this primer actually accentuates some of the dry patches on my cheeks.

Ok, chance 3 maybe? My T-zone would normally become shiny around 3 hours after make up application. I've been looking for a good oil control primer a while now. Till date I have not found anything wonderful yet. If the primer controls my oilly t-zone, I would be satisfied as well... Here comes let down nr. 3, it doesn't control my oilly t-zone AT ALL. I'm think this primer even makes my skin ollier.

At the end, I hate this product. It's still here on my make up table, I can't throw this away, because I paid quite a lot for this primer. If this primer did it's job well, I don't mind paying double for it. But now I just wasted my money on something that totally didn't work for me.

I'm glad it worked for a lot of people here on MUA, but unfortunately I'm not one of them.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2009 10:37:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

This does help to minimize the redness in my skin and evens out my skintone when used under makeup. My skin looked flawless. I have to moisturize still, since I use retin-a micro every other day, but it doesn't go on cakey. Has a nice liquidy texture that sinks quickly into my skin.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2009 9:11:00 PM More reviews by micropipette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used the Smashbox primer (green) before buying this, hoping I'd have more success counteracting the redness on my face. I would say that it sort of works, but does not completely cover everything...especially at the end of the day when my nose and cheeks gets even more red. In the morning my skin is mostly fine on its own and the primer + foundation covers mostly everything, but after walking home from class I notice the stupid red bumps on my cheeks showing through my foundation and redness on my nose.

I do like the smell of this primer and I think that it does help with redness a little bit. It feels slightly moisturizing I guess...but I'm not sure if it actually IS moisturizing. The pump is also convenient, easy to use and sanitary.

I don't like that it takes more product to cover my face than the smashbox alternative--it absorbs, so it doesn't spread as well. I also don't like that it leaves a yellow stain on my skin. I noticed it the other day when I just put this on and didn't do the rest of my makeup. The finger the I pumped the primer onto had a yellow tint and the finger that I spread it onto my face with was also yellow. I'm also not entirely convinced that this makes my foundation last longer.

I don't know if I'll repurchase this...but it will last me a long time and I'll continue to use this. Maybe by the time I'm finished with it there will be a new awesome primer for me to buy.
EDIT: I noticed that this towards the end of the day my foundation looks blotchy and uneven when I use this primer on my cheeks.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/5/2009 7:21:00 AM More reviews by mdjmsj

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a great primer, but I didn't notice it doing a lot to cut down on the redness in my skin, honestly. It helpted my foundation to go on smooth, but I still had to use MAC Color Corrector in Green to hide the redness in my cheeks and chin (NW15, but with areas of redness from acne irritation). I might buy it again in the future if I couldn't find another product that did a better job but this isn't an HG for me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2009 1:56:00 PM More reviews by jln7124

I bought this product without even trying it after reading the great reviews on here. I am fair skinned with a lot of pink & red in my cheeks and am forever searching for a good product to even my skin and tone down the red. I have tried many (Clinique, Eucerin, etc), but few have really made a noticeable difference for more than an hour or so. I do like Dior's green primer, but you have to mix it with foundation first and for putting on make up in a hurry this isn't always practical. First off, I love the texture of this primer. It is light and feels so soothing and fresh going on. It feels very moisturizing and has a subtle scent that is really nice and clean smelling. When I first tried this I wasn't convinced that it was really covering the red, but as soon as I put on a thin layer of tinted moisturizer I saw the difference immediately. You don't need a lot of this product to get good results, and I absolutely love the pump it comes in. I'm sold. A must have if you're looking for a great primer that will reduce redness!