December 18, 2014 | 897 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 12/16/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by clairedy6

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Oh jeez! This is horrible! I was excited to try it after everything I've heard about it being a miracle worker for your skin..well my experience was completely different. First of all, it hurts like hell!! I mixed about a teaspoon of baking soda with enough water to form a paste and then instantly when I started to rub it into my skin (very gently) it stung soooo bad!! I have never put something so harsh on my face, it felt like my face was going to burn off! My eyes were watering so I had to rinse it off (not the easiest thing to do), and even after I was done it still hurt. I thought, maybe it was worth the pain...nope. I didn't see any difference in my skin at all. So I tried it again the next day, and I had the same horrible results. I would try again but I just don't think my skin could get used to that, it hurt so bad.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2012 6:51:00 PM More reviews by liz48170

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Hazel

GALS

No reason to buy any exfoliator for your face; baking soda is the best you can use.

Just add a dab to your cleanser, and work it into your skin

Other exfoliators that you pay alot of money for - damage your skin.

This for a buck, lasts and lasts - the best exfoliator and part of your skin routine you can buy

We need to be SMART about what we purchase. There are so many items in our home kitchen that out perform many of the beauty items in the stores that cost hundreds of dollars. This is only ONE !!

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

This year I had a bad case of contact dermatitis on my chest from a bad product. Ever since then, I swear my skin chemistry has changed. Even the most seemingly gentle body cleansers on the market sometimes irritate that area. I recently tried using baking soda mixed with a little water as a body "wash" and have been very pleased with the results. It doesn't irritate my chest whatsoever, is relatively cheap, and most already have it in their kitchen. I've never tried it on my face though, because I already have a strict routine for that. I still need lotion after a shower to feel super soft, but I don't have the strong, itchy urge to lotion up IMMEDIATELY after a shower like I do with most body washes on the market.

My only complaint is that I wish I could find it in a larger quantity than the usual small box.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Boxerface

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Make up alley taught me what a treasure trove baking soda can be. Sodium Bicarbonate, is safe and natural to use. Well that is if you are safe to have sodium. Check with your doctor if you have health issues.

I love this as a faial scrub. I usually just mix it with a bit of water. I use a tiny amount. About 1/4 tablespoon for my entire face. If I have acne patches I actually mix it with my bp cream and gently massage the area that is breaking out. I recommend you be very gentle with your skin. It could be so easy to be rough with baking soda. If you feel tingling or burning you need to rinse this off ASAP as you might be hurting yourself. Pat dry softly.

I have sensitive skin, mild rosecea and mild acne, so I do not use this daily or even weekly. Maybe two times a month. Again a super small amount mixed with facial cleanser is best. I find that after using this my skin is incredibly smooth. However I think this can be too drying for those with dry patches. One option for those who are dry is to try mixing it with Aloe Vera gel. It will still provide a scrub but be more gentle for the dry areas.

Love this and recommend everyone have a supply on hand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/2/2012 10:29:00 AM More reviews by Meriel65

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of those 101 uses products. While your cookies are baking you can exfoliate your skin. I won't go into how to use it because of all the other reviews. The key here is to use it sparingly and with a gentle touch, whether as a tooth cleaning powder or an exfoliating scrub when mixed with a cleanser. One more thing: baking sodais not acidic. If you were listening in high school chemistry, the lower a pH is, the more acidic; the higher, the more alkaline it is. That is why a solution of water and baking soda is recommended to neutralize skin for people who do skin peels at home, and why it is used in baking (as an alkaline ingredient). For effective exfoliation to occur in any acid product (AHA, BHA) you need a lower pH (in the 3-4 range). Lower than that it can burn; higher, it is ineffective as it is not acidic enough. So to worry about baking soda "eating" away at your teeth because it is an acid is false; you have to worry more about using it too much, too vigorously, and thus physically grinding away too much enamel.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 9:22:00 AM More reviews by yellowdragon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

i suffer from flaky dandruff... pretty embarrassing, right? It seems to be worse during the colder seasons. I did a bit of research and found a website that talked about using baking soda to combat this problem. I part my hair little at a time (concentrating smaller sections where the flakes were happening) and sprinkled a pinch of b.s. and gently rub it into my scalp. After the problem area has been covered with b.s. I gave a gentle massage through out my head, concentrating on the problem area. Then, I rinse off the b.s. and shampoo as usual. but I used apple cider vinegar water mixture to rinse. I did this twice a week and for about a month, and I don't have big flakes anymore. I get very tiny flakes here and there that is not easily noticeable unless i am searhcing for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:47:00 AM More reviews by emmaloulaaa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay, I have been using baking soda for awhile now but ONLY IN MODERATION. Baking Soda is great as an exfoliator and even to brush your teeth with, but it a higher PH than your face so you should not use it very often. I use it to brush my teeth once a week AT THE MOST and to exfoliate my face only when it needs to be exfoliated. If your face needs to exfoliated more then once a week then I would look for a different option. Also don't use baking soda with water, use it with a favorite face cleanser and WASH your face afterwards, Don't just rinse. And if you use it to brush your teeth, use it with your favorite toothpaste and use mouthwash afterwards. Trust me, you don't want a bunch of baking soda particles left on your skin/teeth. It's not good. Baking soda and the system I'm using it in has worked very welI for me and if you use baking soda in moderation and the right way, then there is a high possibility that it will work for you too. And if it doesn't, there are plenty of other options (natural and not) that could work for you. It just takes some trial and error. And remember, everyone's skin is different, so just because something has great reviews doesn't mean it will work for you and vice versa.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 7:30:00 PM More reviews by sabrina373

Baking soda has saved my skin. After experimenting with OCM almost a year ago I had broken out into TERRIBLE cystic acne and whiteheads. I had tried everything from BP to apple cider vinegar but nothing was clearing my skin.
I stumbled upon the rave reviews on baking soda on MUA and decided to give it a try...and i've never looked back! I've been using the Arm & Hammer Pure baking soda mixed with a little water to lightly exfoliate my skin every night for almost 6 months now. It's truly a miracle. My skin is back to being completely clear, but now its even softer and more supple than before! What's more, it's even gotten rid of some stubborn blackheads I had on my nose and helped minimize my pores. I usually follow the baking soda with some moisturizer at night and I wake up to smooth oil-free skin, however if I choose to not moisturize in the night my skin doesn't become overly dry either and is just fine in the morning.
If you're having trouble with acne, large pores or discoloration, i highly recommend that you give this a try. Good luck!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 7:04:00 PM More reviews by BrittCastsFireballs

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was reading through the comments here and I really feel that I need to add my two cent.
Is baking soda natural? That really depends on your definition of "natural." Sodium bicarbonate IS naturally occuring in the forms of the minerals nacholite and trona. However, these minerals aren't exactly boxed up and put on the shelves. They must be processed first.
Historically, baking soda was manufactured using the Solvay process (remember this from chem.?) by processing calcium carbonate (usually limestone) with salt brine (sodium chloride) that had been saturated with ammonia. Gross, right? This process died out by 1980 after the discovery of a more "earth-friendly" and cost-effective process through the mineral trona. More than 95% of the baking soda and virtually all soda ash used in the U. S. each year is now derived by processing trona.
Since trona (Na3CO3(HCO3) 2H2O) is not pure sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) it has to be processed to derive soda ash (sodium carbonate or Na2CO3) first then baking soda (NaHCO3) is produced from the soda ash by adding CO2.
The user who stated that baking soda is a synthetic, lab-created form of NaHCO3 is severely misinformed.

No one can deny that baking soda has many uses and is much more green than many similarly used products out there. Again, it's all in how you look at it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by marlee18042010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

BRILLIANT love love love!! I have been using it for about 6 months and am soooo happy i discovered it!! I use it 2-3 times a week mixed with water or my cleanser at night generally. I then pat on Rosehip Oil, followed by Nivea face cream and VOILA!!!! Instant glowy, dewy skin which looks even better the next day! If your getting a reaction maybe try a small ammount and use very gentle circular motions or your skin might be ultra sensitive?!? As a Mummy of 40 with 2 young children its nice to have found something that works so well when my time is so limited :))))))