April 23, 2014 | 1905 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Tangle Teezer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE:
A year has not passed yet, but one thing I can say is that this is the first year since my sister was about 5-6 that she has managed to grow her hair down to her boobs. This was never possible before because the only thing remaining at the and of the hair was always a "rat-tail" type of thing. I think that's pretty amazing :) She did cut it not long ago but, at least, she managed to grow it that long, which is something she has been trying to do for years! Her hair also has more shine and volume now :) Remember: if you already have good hair, you may not see such drastic results, but her hair was pretty bad, so this brush alone did wonders :)
I'll update again a bit later.
END OF UPDATE
Originally, I bought this for my little sister. Her hair is very fine, but there's a big amount of it. Her hair therefore tangles VERY easily - she can lie down to rest and wake up with a giant tangle. The tangles almost always appear near her neck when she sleeps - you know it's one of the most painful places to brush if it's tangled. If you try to gently brush her hair one of those times it is reeeally tangled, it takes near half an hour, even though it's only shoulder-long. Because of this, she gave up trying to brush it gently many years ago (she's now 19); instead she always tuggs on it, and every time she brushed her hair, I could hear hundreds of hears ripping...! This of course only made it worse: her hair became very frizzy and she sometimes didn't brush it for days. Over time it became very brittle and flat - she washed it every day, but it lost the volume very fast.
When I first read about the tangle teezer, I immediately wanted to buy her one, and I did. All I can say is: it's a miracle for her! Now, usually under 10 hairs are left on the brush after every time she brushes her hair, and she actually enjoys doing it :D This brush de-tangles her hair so easily, and it doesn't let her rip it out either. Does it thug? Yes, it does a little, but it's nothing compared to the brushes that has those little balls on every bristle. I think this brush will improve her hair quality greatly over time, when the ripped and stretched part grows out (will update in a year or so), and it's also great that she doesn't rip it out any more :) She doesn't even need to start brushing from the ends - it works great any way! I think this solved a big problem in her everyday life :)
One thing though: may make very thin hair a bit static, but with some kind of spray this can be fixed. Does not turn my normal type hair static though.
I must admit, this didn't look incredible when it arrived - I couldn't see what would make this work better than other brushes, but it works like magic on my sister's hair! I'm ordering 4 more for friends and family :) For my hair, the brush is good, but not exceptional, but that's just because it's easy to brush my hair with almost anything - it doesn't get tangled, even though it's waist long.
A brush that is good for your hair is a long time investment, and may save you a lot of conditioner, hair treatments and so on, so I don't really consider this expensive - a lot of cosmetic products that only last for some months are much more expensive.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2011 12:40:00 AM More reviews by Tit4Tat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

*UPDATED SEPT 06/13*
I prematurely blamed the shortcomings of my faulty haircare on Tangle Teezer, however, with right detangling, you won't need any other brush other than a good quality boar bristle one for styling (assuming you have fine, chemically processed long hair).
It's also great for:
- Storing your "stray" bobby pins and elastics inside
- Distributing conditioner in your hair or running it through your hair as you're rinsing conditioner out.
- Detangling backcombing becomes easy if you spray your roots with a detangler (don't use anything oil-based, it actually makes it worse)
- Grooming your pets. Our finicky Persian cat hates every brush you come at her with so she usually sees a professional who gets paid for patience I don't have. I found out how much she loves this thing by accident, when I knocked it over and she attacked it, then started rubbing her face all over it. She has her own now and she actually gets really excited whenever she sees it.

*ORIGINAL 1 LIPPIE REVIEW*
First time makeup alley let me down. Bought this thing wondering if it would help detangle my very fine straight hair...nope. Preface: normally I brush my hair before showering, wash the crown, gently rinse the ends, condition, rinse and then air dry. Even after this ordeal my hair tangles only within reasonable so I was hoppy the tangle teezer would help control the tangling throughout the day. It shredded my beautiful hair. Thin silicone "teeth" would pull my ends even harder and rip them out. I was pretty upset. Save your money, this thing is only good for combing the coconut oil through your hair, easy to clean.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2011 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Cokioki

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This works great on me. It detangles my hair with almost no pain and it's so easy to clean. expensive though.....

rated 4 of 5 on 12/13/2011 10:26:00 AM More reviews by Esvalle

It works for me, much better than others, I just donīt agree with the price, for a piece of plastic it is a bit overpriced. Anyway, I like the result, detangles easily and fast, so that is what I am looking for.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2011 5:37:00 PM More reviews by BabyDoll075

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I don't get the hype around these brushes.. Ordered an original one, and the pocket sized. Now I have them for a year or so and something must be wrong w/ me or w/ my hair but Tangle Teezer is just simply not working. It does not leave my hair shiny and does not do anything with the tangles.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2011 12:13:00 AM More reviews by ContainsMildPeril

I used this product once on my daughter's fine but long hair and it wrecked her hair. The ends became very flyaway and have never recovered.

I've found it's far better to use a leave-in conditioner, which makes combing through a doddle.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2011 11:23:00 PM More reviews by tigirlyly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this detangling brush. My hair is very tangle prone as it is dry from highlighting. Definitely cuts my time in 1/2 in regards to brushing out the tangles from both dry and wet dry.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2011 10:29:00 PM More reviews by bjmassie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mid-back kind-of wavy kind-of straight medium to coarse and very very very thick hair. Plus, I've been growing out bleached hair for the past year and a half with probably about 6 inches to go. So my hair knots like there is no tomorrow.

My old shower routine was comb out my hair completely before getting in the shower, shampooing, letting conditioner soak for 15 minutes and combing through with conditioner before rinsing. Wrapping hair in towel for another 10 minutes, and combing out TANGLES again for 20 minutes. The entire time I spent combing my hair was anywhere from no less than 30 minutes to an hour.

Since, I've gotten the Tangle Teezer that time is never ever more than 10 or 15 minutes total. It makes combing so much easier and quicker.

But, I can't really say if I'm losing less hair in my brush overall or not. I'm not sure but probably if its pulling out any hair it's from the roots and not breaking hair off in the middle.

The only drawback to the Tangle Teezer is the lack of a handle, it can feel somewhat like brushing a dog. Oh, and my boyfriend says that the sound the bristles make scares the hell out of him. It does rather sound like carding wool but for the ease of combing I'd listen to anything.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by Espiegle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I finally gave in and bought this about 6 months ago, because of rave review and because I was just getting really tired of having to spend such a long time "doing" my hair.
I have a lot of fine, curly hair. It's not like a mass of hair or anything, it's just the combo of fine and curly that makes it tangly. But even when I was a kid, and my hair was straight (went curly at puberty) I must have been one of the first J&J No-More-Tangles junkies.
And I lose alot of it-every time I wash and condition it, every time I comb it. And if I wait a day to wash it, a ton of it comes out in the shower, and then once out of the shower, a ton more. It would worry me if there wasn't plenty of it remaining (but I make sure I take my vitamins, lol).
If I don't comb it after washing it (and yes, I wait until my hair is not too wet, not to dry- to comb it), it would look like total nonsense on my head. And if I don't comb it THE RIGHT WAY, it gets frizzy and snarled (or I'd end up with cradle cap from not massaging my scalp at least a little).

So I have (had) long been at the point of just feeling weary when I know that I need to wash it, because that means I HAVE to condition it, then towel-dry it just right so that it doesn't tangle, THEN use a detangling spray, THEN a leave-in conditioner...THEN I start to geeentttly use a big, wide-toothed comb, starting at the ends, working my way up...then I have to be careful again if I want to part my hair, or comb it in any direction...And it put me in a pretty irritable mood because it hurts- it yanks at nape and temples....

You get the idea- my hair just jams when I try to comb it, I never bother trying to brush it once it's dry (although I can do that if I straighten it) and I have hair all over my house. It gets everywhere. Sometimes I'm shocked at the back of my winter coat, or a sweater, if I haven't been paying attention to picking the hairs off it it. Ick.
I actually lucked out and found the TangleTeezer in a beauty store here in Europe- for 15 euros- which seemed extremely expensive for something that looked like a cheap plastic dog brush. So I hemmed and hawed and read more reviews and finally broke down and bought it.
And I love it. NOW I don't even THINK about detangling my hair- I don't NEED detangling spray, I don't HAVE to use leave-in conditioner for stretched-hair frizzies (I just use it for normal frizzies) and there's no more pain. This thing just glides like butter through my hair and I'M DONE. And I barely lose any hair, to boot- I didn't even know that I was actually pulling out hair, or breaking it, when I was losing it- I just thought it was natural shedding.
So as a result, not only do I save time, energy and suffer less :) but my hair has gotten really nice again- it's glossy and thick and less frizzy and the curls are more "whole" and bouncy and there is less hair all over the place.
And yes, I can use it when my hair is dry- I don't comb it dry when it's curly, because that just makes it look weird- but I can, and incidentally, it gives a really nice scalp massage- you can just make little circles on your scalp and it doesn't tangle your hair- it feels great.
Voila- highly recommend if you have hair that just takes a long time to get through with a normal comb or brush, under normal circumstances, for whatever reason. I imagine this would be marvelous for children with long, fine, tangly or unruly hair- or all of the above- because it is quick and painless.
I really want to get the travel one as well, but will wait till I go to states.
I put a 3 for the price because though I think it is expensive for the material it is made from (totally cheapo plastic. It wouldn't last 10 seconds next to something too warm.(you CANNOT blow dry with it- it'll render it completely useless) it still works so well the price doesn't really matter.
However I put 2 for the "packaging" because of the cheap material and because the label says to not even place the normal one down on the bristles, for fear of bending them. They could at least include a little protective shield of some sort- it sits in my cupboard like an upturned beetle!
All in all, a fabulous, time-saving, hair-saving, pain-saving product, will def. buy again. Kudos to the inventor.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2011 4:42:00 PM More reviews by RachaelSpiffy

I have pretty long hair and this tool has been very helpful. It doesn't hurt when I have tangled hair. It makes my hair smooth and always gets all the snarls out. I bring this with me everywhere.