Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Microfinish Powder

3.8

100% silica

on 2/15/2013 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought mine in 17oz and it fits perfectly inside my makeup kit. The packaging is sturdy and does not have any fancy design. I have combination to oily type skin and I found this very long lasting as it helps my makeup stay longer and my face matte for at least 6-8 hours depending on the weather. I would definitely advice this to people with combination to oily skin because it is incredible, however it is not advisable for people who have big pores as it tends to settle down and makes pores visibly bigger.

I hope this helps!
(P.S. It doesn't have SPF protection.)

on 2/5/2013 11:19:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Well I really like this... it gives my face a softer finish when I use it over my matte foundation and it sets my makeup great, it doesn't budge. I live in Florida so its amazing during the summer to keep my face from melting off. Its kind of expensive at $30 but it does last a very long time. Not sure if I'll repurchase because I'd like to find something cheaper, but if I can't find something just as good I probably will.

on 2/1/2013 7:46:00 PM

This is overpriced & definitely not user friendly. I couldn't this to apply without it taking off my makeup. Glad I didn't invest in a full sized jar.

on 2/1/2013 7:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other

I hated it. I really wanted to like it, and I tried it countless time, during 3 different seasons (summer, autumn, and winter). I also tried applying various amounts and with different face brushes too, but it still didn't work for me. The product made me look ghostly and awful in pictures. It also was a little drying. I like the texture and how smooth it goes on, but it just doesn't work on my skin tone.

on 1/29/2013 8:55:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

I don't know what I was thinking buying this product. I pruchased it because I have oily skin and I was hoping that this product would give me a matte, natural finish without looking cakey. Unfortunately it makes my face look too matte (almost dry) and accentuates the tiniest wrinkle. On top of that my face looks oily again after an hour or so.

Also I absolutely hate the packaging. It's loose powder and if you're not careful it goes everywhere.

It's definitely not worth the money.

on 1/16/2013 8:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I wouldn't recommend this product. I like the way it makes your face look in person it does give it a nice smooth finished look, but in pictures it looks like your wearing a white mask. I also have dry skin so it made my skin and it did not dry it out. The packaging also isn't to good, unless you keep the little tab over it because if not it spills everywhere. Even with the tab a powder of white dust always flies off. Im glad I purchased the smaller size and would not get it again.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I give this powder props for being a good translucent loose powder (hence the solid 3 rating), as it does the job, but I don't particularly find it amazing.
I applied it with my MAC 150 brush, which is a large fluffy powder brush. I poured a little bit into the cap, swirled the brush into it, tap tap tapped off the excess, and applied it in a circular motion, the way I apply all powders.
It didn't blur imperfections, it didn't make me glow, and it didn't give me any special finish. It did mattify just the slightest bit, but then the initial shine of my foundation came back 20 seconds later. Later on in the day (I'm talking 4 hours into wear--in cold weather), my face got oily. Gross. I don't even have oily skin! I blame the oiliness on the face makeup, though, not this powder. Of course, MUFE doesn't market this powder to be mattifying. For that reason, I don't recommend this powder for those with oily skin. I don't understand how others here are saying that it controls oil!
It does make my face makeup last all day long (minus the oiliness), however, but honestly, any powder can do that!
The only thing that would make this powder worth purchasing, in my opinion, would be the fact that it photographs wonderfully. My pores aren't emphasized! Hence, the only time I wear this powder is for special occasions, when I use this on top of my MAC MSFN on top of my MUFE HD Foundation on top of my Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (my go-to face routine for special occasions/photos). I would omit the MSFN if it weren't for the fact that this powder doesn't control oil.
Some people have mentioned this looking white on their face, but that's only because they applied too much. As with all translucent powders, only the tiniest amount of powder is necessary. Resist the urge to use more, as it's for sure going to leave a white cast--in person AND on camera!
It retails for $32 for a 0.35 oz. jar. Sephora also sells a mini $16 version of this for 0.17 oz. amount of product.
Would I repurchase? No.

on 1/15/2013 5:37:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I really wanted to love this, and while I do like it I can't fairly say that it deserves all the hype. It's a very soft and smooth powder with a very silky finish. I have dry skin and if you use small amounts it really shouldn't dry you out. The only problem I have with this is that I have a tan/olive complexion and I've noticed that it gives my face a white halo making my face look slightly lighter than the rest of my body. If you have lighter skin I suggest this, if not then maybe not. It is pricey but a little goes a long way, I bought the big one and I have so much I don't even know what to do with it.

on 1/9/2013 10:10:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This stuff is a miracle! Where has it been all my life? Doubles as an alcohol free dry shampoo, great for when you just don't feel like washing your oily bangs. It lacks any pigment, which is why i never bought it before, but it really softens the look of your skin, absorbs oils like crazy, is non drying on my oily-combination skin, and keeps me from getting as oily as i normally would over time (though bear in mind, i have oily skin, not super duper buckets-of-oil skin as some are blessed with).
It functions as a great base for that last finishing touch of spot concealer, because it soaks the concealer in, absorbing it, making it less likely to rub off, though you can still blend the spot in (i recommend Shiseido spot corrector pencil for women of all ages). It really does diffuse light too, but it doesn't take the shine from your skin altogether, making you look overly matte. It goes on almost totally invisibly.
What i love most about it is that when i put it over my larger, blown out pores (from abusing acne spots in the past), the light that the raised and bloated rims of the pores normally catch is softened, making them look less textural and eye catching. It's like it makes all the ugly little details of my skin kind of blend in and smooth out! It NEVER looks chalky and powdery, or too white either!
I gave it a good review on the price, because if the price for the full size is too steep for you, it comes in a $16 or $18 travel size (relatively low price given the performance and high end manufacturer-these are not drug store maybelline products, people, so don't expect it to cost $8--though another reviewer here has said you can buy silica powder much cheaper from other retailers, I'm not sure if that would be in the "spherical microspherides" form that earns this product its "HD" label or not; you be the judge, if $16 bucks for a product that lasts up to six months is somehow too expensive to you!), travel size is none too small and will last you a good while. This product has really allowed me to get that "no makeup", polished and natural look that I've always wished i could have, and to top that all off, it's also good for your skin.
As an edit, I've seen a few reviews where people say that this product gets concentrated under skin flakes, like around a healing acne spot or on dry skin, and draws attention to them, looking scungy. I haven't had that happen with this stuff at all, and i do get flaky acne and dry spots here and there fairly regularly, always have. I find that if you slather on too much makeup, or don't smooth out spots where it's too concentrated with your finger (which is easy with something that has such a great silky texture like this silicone based powder), it's going to look bad no matter what you use. Of course, nothing works for everybody.

on 1/9/2013 9:33:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

Keeps my skin looking matte without drying my winter dry skin. Gives a soft focus look much like the hd foundation does.I bought the .017 size and the three little holes don't give a lot of product but it's perfect for travel.

I buffed it in and kept rubbing the brush into my skin for about 30 seconds. This didn't leave a white cast in photos. Overall, it's good but I'm sticking to my Nars powder which is superb. For a really soft matte glow, I use the hd foundation, then this hd powder, then Nars loose powder.

Video Reviews & Tutorials