November 29, 2014 | 1020 users online

Moisturizers - Olay - Complete Daily Defense All Day Moisturizer with Sunscreen SPF 30 for Sensitive Skin

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2007 9:50:00 AM More reviews by anandakatze

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted very badly to like this sunscreen/moisturizer. My skin is sensitive to a number of chemical sunscreen filters (avobenzone, and now octisalate), oily, and acne prone. This goes on like a light lotion, does not give me a white cast on my medium-toned skin (unlike almost every other sunscreen), and it's the only sunscreen where I can comfortably use 1/4 tsp to cover my face. I love the pump container too -- 3 pumps is exactly 1/4 tsp (measured) and it locks for travelling and hasn't spilled all over my stuff. However, this DID give me two cystic pimples, and after 3-4 days of use, it stung. The octisalate caused an allergic rash to appear on my cheeks. If you're not acne prone and not sensitive to the chemical filters in it, it's something that you could try -- but this was not for me.

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 6.0%, Octisalate 2.5%, Octocrylene 2.5%

Inactive Ingredients: Water, Isohexadecane, Glycerin, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth 7,
Cyclopentasiloxane, PEG/PPG-18/18 Dimethicone, Steareth 21, Stearyl Alcohol, Sucrose Polycottonseedate,
Niacinamide, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polyethylene, Behenyl Alcohol, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate,
Tocopheryl Acetate, Cetyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Methylparaben, Benzyl Alcohol,
Disodium EDTA, Aloe Barbadensis Juice Leaf, Steareth 2, Oleth 3 Phosphate

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by jcbalint

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been using Olay Complete Defence SPF 30 for many years, after trying everything else (high & low end) on the market. The others all broke me out, sooner or later, or became too expensive to use on a regular basis.

I was surprised by one of the reviews stating that it does not have UVA protection and all the rest (on the back of their bottle), and it is what prompted me to leave this review.

I live in Australia, and my bottle does not state the above. In fact it states "SPF30, UVA/UVB protection", and is made by Procter & Gamble, Australia. Perhaps the US P&G need to put certain legal disclaimers on their packaging, to cover themselves legally.

I can also attest that it DOES have UVA/UVB protection. The Australian sun is merciless, through all our seasons, and it is the only thing that stops sun damage on my face, neck & décolletage, which here can happen even after half a day of gardening (which I do quite often). I can tell the difference (red & sunburnt the next day) when I (very rarely) forget to apply it prior to going outside.

There is a "Normal" and "Sensitive" option, I've always opted for the "Sensitive", due to my sunscreen related breakout history. Being a supermarket product, I can't complain about the cost (A$14, sometimes less on special).

The bottle could be better engineered so that every last drop could be used (ie cap down, gravity fed product), is my only complaint.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/4/2011 12:36:00 AM More reviews by westside

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this moisturizer...I've been using it for over two months now! It has never broken me out and I never sunburn. I love it under my makeup and it doesn't cause me to get shiny either. I'm in my 30s and I still look like a teenager...I'm not saying it's 'cause of Olay, but let me tell you, if you use sunscreen everyday it really is the best thing you can do for your skin (besides not smoking). All those other serums and expensive moisturizers don't matter if you don't wear some kind of sun protection everyday. Just my two cents=)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by kathrynb23

During the summer I'm always searching for an adequate moisturizer and sunblock in one, but all of them seem to be too thick, greasy or just not right.
I love this moisturizer, it has one of the highest SPF I've ever seen in a face moisturizer, majority is only SPF15, this is SPF30. It absorbs very quickly, without being greasy, not too thick, and leaves no white castings/shield on my face.
Usually i dread wearing sunblock or SPF moisturizer on my face because they always get oily and my makeup doesnt sit right on top, but not with this.
My face is always hydrated, and I know I've got protection when i'm in the sun. I think I might stick with this moisturizer throughout the year because I have no adverse effects from it, and the SPF in this is higher then my Neutrogena and it absorbs quicker too. once I finish my Neutrogena moisturizer, I will start using this more frequently.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by catnip777

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This product was recommended by my dermatologist. I needed a moisturizer with higher SPF. This has 30, which is good. I have used this daily over the past 2 weeks and am very pleased with it. I have oily skin and yes this can make your skin a little shiny, however, I have not had any acne or breakouts with this. I use a little matte powder to take away the shininess, which would be there regardless due to my oily complexion. I try to reapply a couple times a day depending if I am outdoors or not.

Another excellent thing, I have been successful in keeping this out of my eyes and it does not sting.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2012 3:16:00 AM More reviews by lislis

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I had a major breakout around 3 years ago when I was trying various sunscreen products. I did my research on skincare and this was one of the products recommended for my skin type in Leslie Baumann's book, The Skin Type Solution.

At the time, I had oily and sensitive skin. I initially started using Olay Complete UV Protection Moisture Lotion Sensitive with SPF 15 which seemed to work well but I wanted something with a higher SPF, especially living in Australia where the sun can really burn. So I started using Complete Defense and I really like it! Its been at least 1.5 years since i started using it. It feels really light on my skin and doesn't break me out. It doesn't make my skin look oily either.

I usually only apply it once a day. But because its currently summer where I live now I'm contemplating on reapplying in the afternoon. I found that when i get home from work, my cheeks are pink from where the sun shines. So hopefully reapplying would give it that extra protection.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2011 11:40:00 AM More reviews by butterbelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

I previously used Olay Complete Defense Daily UV Moisturizer for Combination/Oily Skin with SPF15 and it BURNED my face after a few months of use so I was very hesitant to try this but I needed a moisturizer with sunscreen. I picked it up when it was on sale at Shoppers Drug Mart for $9.99 (regular price: $18.99). It's a really nice light moisturizer and most importantly, it doesn't burn my skin! It keeps my skin hydrated throughout the day and the SPF30 is definitely enough sun protection for the winter months. Shoppers just recently put this on sale again so I bought two back-ups because that's how much I love this. I prefer not using a separate sunscreen in the winter since sunscreen is usually so greasy so this moisturizer is perfect. I would not purchase this at regular price since the bottle only gives you 75mL. Another problem with this moisturizer is that after you've used most of it up, the pump will not pick up the last little bit at the bottom of the bottle so you have to find other ways of getting that last bit out. But I still prefer having a sanitary pump than having it in a jar. Overall, a great everyday skincare item and I would definitely re-purchase when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2010 3:07:00 PM More reviews by 1naturalbeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this after i cleanse and exfoliate in the daytime and I will wear this under my foundation as a primer. I tend to think that moisturizers with spf 15 + are the best primers because it holds your foundation together without layering makeup products and powders, etc. It has the active ingredients:

Octinoxate 7.5 %
Ziinc Oxide 6.0%
Octisalate 2.5% - octyl salicylate - sunscreen agent used to protect skin primarily from the sun's UVB rays
Octocrylene 2.5% -

sometimes i'll carry this one with me as i'm commuting to use throughout the day,

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 12:13:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

I have had good luck w/ this product. I do not experience the white cast others have complained about and I do use a goodly amount - probably a bit bigger than a nickel size for my face - and I do rub it in well, let it sit for 2-3 minutes before applying my MMU = my MMU goes on smoothly, so this product provides a nice base. I like the spf 30 (due to my melasma, my dermo recommended a minimum of spf 30), it doesn't smell like SS, is relatively inexpensive and easy to find at many retailers (Target, Walgreens, Walmart).

I like that it has zinc oxide and not some of the scarier SS stuff. I usually have good luck w/ Olay stuff and this is no exception. No skin irritations, no breakouts, no extra oil in my T-zone...I will have to find something else for the summer w/ a higher SPF, but for fall/winter/spring, this is the ticket for me. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2009 7:47:00 PM More reviews by pink_rosies

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

On my neck this is fine, but for my face it's wayyy too greasy... and made me break out!