August 20, 2014 | 1994 users online

Liquid - Clinique - Soft Finish Makeup [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2005 12:10:00 PM More reviews by andiebubbles

I have FINALLY found my HG foundation!

I've been struggling for years with my foundation. It seems I put it on, only to have it get oily and gross looking an hour later. I've tried everything out there - drugstore brands, department store brands, the two brands my derm recommended; nothing worked! My face always looked like I coated it in baby oil. The funny thing about it is, I have really dry skin. I also have rosacea and am always flaky! I didn't know where all of the oil was coming from!

So, a couple of days ago I was out Christmas shopping, and on a whim, stopped at the Clinique counter. I used Clinique foundation all through high school, and loved it, and can't quite remember why I stopped using it. I decided to try the Soft Finish foundation in Soft Linen. I figured, what the heck; I had just blown $60 on a Jane Iredale foundation I used once and pitched in the garbage, so what was another $19?

I put it on the next morning,around 10:00 a.m. I went out to lunch with my family and shopping at Walmart. I came home around 1:30 and was surprised to see my makeup looked exactly as it did when I put it on. Woo-hoo! I kept checking it during the day and was amazed it looked flawless! Even last night when I got ready to wash my face before bed (around 11:00), it still looked gorgeous.

I really can't say enough about this product. It is a life-saver. I have been feeling so blue about the way my skin looks. I hate going without makeup because of the redness in my cheeks, but hated the way my foundation looked. This is great stuff!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2005 11:21:00 AM More reviews by karinatwork

What a surprise! A foundation for dry skin that is not sticky and gooey! I am amazed. Thank you MUA for sending me to the Clinique counter. I had given up on Clinique foundations, I never seemed to find neither the right formulation nor the right colour... always too pink, or too dark, or too light. But Clinique seems to have gotten their act together. I don't know how long this foundation has been on the market, but hey, I really hope they will never discontinue it. It is amazing. It blends well, and dries to a beautiful, soft finish. Just like the product name. It comes in a very light, neutral tone (althought they say it's G: golden) and it fits my pale skin perfectly. It does NOT accentuate flakes at all, and for now has not given me clogged pores or broken me out. The only thing I do not like about it is - of course - the bottle it comes in. Glass, with a huge opening, and very ackward. I will update in a few weeks, but if it stays like that, this will be a winter staple of mine, definitively. Maybe even spring and fall. Here are the ingredients (as per Estee Lauder Company):
    ingredients: water\aqua\eau [] dimethicone [] phenyl trimethicone [] ethylhexyl hydroxystearate [] butylene glycol [] tea-stearate [] polydecene [] octyldodecyl stearoyl stearate [] glyceryl dilaurate [] polymethyl methacrylate [] linoleic acid [] tocopheryl acetate [] cola nitida (kola) nut extract [] squalane [] sodium pca [] helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil [] sodium hyaluronate [] hibiscus abelmoschuus extract [] phospholipids [] xanthan gum [] tea-oleate [] cholesterol [] talc [] steareth-21 [] magnesium aluminum silicate [] cellulose gum [] lecithin [] stearyl alcohol [] polysorbate 20 [] steareth-2 [] pvp [] trisodium edta [] bht [] phenoxyethanol [] methylparaben [] propylparaben [] ethylparaben [] [+/-iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) [] titanium dioxide (ci 77891) [] ultramarines (ci 77007)] + + + UPDATE + + + Still using it, still going strong. I can't say this is increasing my clogged pores in any way, and it certainly doesn't break me out. I am very pleased with this, the perfect winter foundation. I am wearing this over Superdefense N/O now so I get SPF as well. - - - UPDATE: I am not certain yet, but I am suspicious this is giving me blackheads... not clogged pores, but straight blackheads. I will have to test further, but since I've switched to Maybelline Pure, I have less b/h's.... hmmm.... +++++ 2ND UPDATE: No blackheads. Must have been something else. I stopped using it for a while and am now re-using it with a different routine, and no blackheads. It definitively is one of the best foundations I have ever used, and I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2007 12:37:00 PM More reviews by kelly32

Finally, I've found my HG of foundations. I've tried so many (LM, Chanel, Clinique, EL, Armani) and this comes the closest to perfection. The color match is pretty good, though could be just a tad more neutral and less pink, but works out fine. The coverage is moderate but can be built up. I have a tendency towards dry skin with a combo T-zone. Most foundations look cakey or build up on my cheeks. This goes on so smoothly and leaves no cakey spots or pores. The finish is dewy so it is probably best suited for drier skins. It does tend to fade as the day goes on but doesn't seem to oxidize and turn orange on me. I have pretty break out prone skin and have had no irritation or break outs from this. LM was a close second because I like the finish of her foundations but the colors are just way too yellow. I only wish they would put it in pump form! A word of warning though, this is for those with dry to slightly combo skin at best. Definitely not for those with oily skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by Victoiresecret

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I recieved a 15ml bottle of this in a swap and I hated it! It was cakey but sheer and smelled awful. Finally I discovered that somehow, it looked really great as an undereye concealer! The pink undertone really brightened up my eyes and it went on smoothly. Gave it a 3 though because this is supposed to be a foundation and as that, it's horrible. Wouldn't repurchase as a concealer or foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2010 12:25:00 AM More reviews by imagin4sian

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow, I am impressed. This foundation looks so natural. It has a dewy finish. Blends so easily as well. It is a little bit on the runny side but that just makes the blending easier. Truly amazing.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2009 3:55:00 PM More reviews by sparkledust

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Since my skin has decided to change from super oily to dry/combination- I have been searching for a foundation that would last all day and not make me look like the cryptkeeper after a couple of hours (like silicone based foundations do on my weird skin). I also wanted a polished look. This foundation fits the bill. It keeps me hydrated all day and doesn't fade- I even slept in it to test the staying power, it was still there the next morning. I'm glad it doesn't contain a sunscreen, that way I can choose which sunscreen I wear under it. I prefer physical blocks, so I wear Clarins UV Plus underneath it.

I have tried everything -- MAC, Guerlain, Shu, MUFE, La Mer, Armani, Kanebo, Chantecaille, Jane Iredale, foundations and TM's, way too many to list. Nothing has ever lasted this well and left my skin looking this hydrated and fresh, and with a bit of NARS Orgasm blush- I can even look glowy:) I even put it over my eyelids and it helps my shadow go on better and last longer.

I have been test drivng it for over a week and I think I've finally found my HG. No weird reactions or blemishes.

As far as shade options go- I have both soft fair(p) and soft bisque(g) and I can't really tell any difference between the shades when they are on my skin. They are a tiny bit darker than my skintone, but I can live with that. For reference I'm an NC20, NARS Deauville, and LM Warm Ivory Chantecaille Camomile/Bliss. I really wish I could get my hands on a soft linen because I think that would be my ideal shade but it's discontinued.

HG for me! Who would have thought...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2008 7:36:00 PM More reviews by angels2919

This is a great foundation! I was wearing powder foundations but as I am getting older my skin is getting a bit drier so I decided I need to use liquid foundation. I went to my Clinique counter and the associate went over all my skin concerns and looked over my face and suggested this foundation for me. It is so nice on and my face feels very nice too! I definitley will repurchase!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2010 6:59:00 AM More reviews by mighttango

I just bought Soft Finish in Soft Vanilla (G), for dry skin. I am finding this really hard to apply. I've tried using a foundation brush, but the foundation is too thick to move around. Once a dab of it is on the skin, it like stays in one place. Should I try a damp sponge?? I always put moisturizer on before applying. Yes it is dark, but seems to end up looking fine in the daylight. I want to like this, but not the application right now. Hints anyone??

rated 1 of 5 on 3/4/2010 11:35:00 AM More reviews by nailea

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I didnt like this one,it was worst i ever used.I was very heavy and thick and makes "mask effect" and also no pump!!!!It makes your skin very dry as well...I expected more from Clinique....

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2009 6:18:00 AM More reviews by elmo_306

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I had a "colour match test" done at Myer tonight. The SA applied soft bisque. It was a great colour for me but I don't like this foundation at all. It contains way too much moisture for my liking. It felt quite heavy and almost like I had sunscreen on my face. I don't like oily makeup at all so this is not for me. But I can see why some people love it. It covered my blemishes fabulously that's why I didn't want to give it less than 3 lippies. I won't buy this product again and from reading other reviews on other Clinique foundations I'm not sure if Clinique is for me. It seems all their foundations contain a lot of oil/moisture.