Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner

Filtered by skin type : Combination

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Distearyldimonium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Glycerin, 2 Bromo 2 Nitropropane 1, 3 Diol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Silk Amino Acids, Honey/Mel, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Extract, Coconut (Cocoa Nucifera) Extract

on 1/27/2008 11:44:00 AM

After researching the WEN Cleansing Conditioner by Chaz Dean product on MUA, I discovered the Toasted Vanilla and Sugar variety of this product in some of the reviews for WEN. The concept of WEN is to use it in place of shampoo + conditioner + leave-in conditioner. In other words, to wash your hair using only conditioner and no shampoo (CO wash). Many conditioners contain mild surfactants (cleansing agents) without the sulfates/detergents of shampoos, as this product does. WEN is insanely expensive but a reviewer noted that the Suave Naturals conditioners contains many of the same ingredients as WEN for a dirt-cheap price. WEN is not readily available, but of course, Suave products are. After being so pleased with the vanilla scent, I picked up a 22.5 oz bottle of this for less than $1.50 at Wal-mart because it also contains honey, a known moisturizing ingredient.

The bottle has a very easy-to-hold shape and has a flip cap, although I do prefer the type of bottle where the cap is on the bottom. Also, the product is not runny but not as thick as some mainstream conditioners I've used. However, these things are minor and the price and performance more than makes up for them. This works wonders to cleanse and condition my hair in one step. Even though I use silicone anti-frizz serum and hair gel to style my hair, it still cleanses my hair thoroughly, yet gently. I feel so much better about using sulfate-free hair cleanser and conditioner. This is also protein-free and silicone-free, too! Although, personally, I'm not crazy about anything coconut scented, this leaves a very nice mild scent upon drydown.

For some, cleansing the hair with only a conditioner may take some getting used to. However, I will say that I also used this after shampooing to see which method I liked better, and it I thought this product did an excellent job with the shampoo + conditioner method, too. I found it more moisturizing than Pantene's silicone-based conditioners. Those who combine this product with a sulfate-containing shampoo will experience dryness, however. The conditioner-only method with a once-a-week cleansing with a sulfate-free hair cleanser works best for me. An inexpensive sulfate-free hair cleansing option is Creme of Nature Shampoo (sulfate-free, cone-free, but not protein-free). I also have very porous hair and have to be careful of dyes and coloring agents in hair products, and I am happy to say that this has none! I'm betting that you'll love what Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner does for your hair, as I do!

on 6/27/2012 7:53:00 AM

I never would have thought that a cheap, runny drugstore conditioner would do anything for my naturally dry, relaxed and heavily highlighted hair. I had always used shampoo followed by a really thick, gloppy conditioner. I got this to try cowashing with. At first I thought it would not do anything since it was so runny - but that runny-ness is what makes it go through all the hair so easily. It gives the hair tons of slip right away (though it contains no cones) and if you leave it in for a little while, it really does well. It rinses beautifully and leaves the hair shiny and silkier than the deep treatments I had been using.

Aside from the cowashing, I did try this with a sulfate-free shampoo and it did well there also. I coated my ends with this first, shampooed, then used this again.

I also have started using this as a leave-in. My hair used to be the type that got drier-feeling the longer I go without washing, but this keeps it silky. My texture feels so different from cowashing with this. If you've got thick, dry hair like me, and piling on the heavy conditioners isn't doing the trick, try cowashing with this. It's only a dollar you have to lose anyway!

on 10/28/2010 5:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

i agree with many of the positive reviews here - i originally started using this for co washing. and realized that maybe my mother was on to something i had long ignored (user cringes at the thought - lol) as she had used both the shampoo and the conditioner for years and wouldn't use anything else. (because she loved the coconut smell) she spent $ on nexxus products for a while before she started using this. this is an outstanding product for the price and i will keep using it because it leaves my hair so nice without doing anything else to it.
and to those who say its cheap and "you get what you pay for" so rudely - how does that saying go? "a fool and his money are soon parted"

this shampoo and conditioner are great. keep your $$$ and try this first, my god - what do you have to lose $2.00?!??

Fabulous, I recently started experimenting with co-washing. I normally have a red, irritated, sore, dry scalp. My hair has been falling out by the roots, I threw in the towel and cut it short to start over. I tried a few different conditioners before this based on board search results posted by other co-washers. And by popularity this was highly recommended. Let me chime in...you were right. Creamy, yummy, superb ingredients, nourishing. I wish you could feel the difference with my scalp. My hair is soft and shiny. This works through like a dream right to the roots. Just stocked up on more. I also love that it doesn't contribute to any additional acne on back/chest or face. A++
Update 5/2012- Been through probably a dozen bottles and nothing else seems to compare. I still shampoo every third day.

on 6/22/2013 12:03:00 PM

I CO-wash my hair and this is my HG for CO-washing. It doesn't leave my scalp itchy like other conditioners. It leaves my hair moisturized and looks great after it dries.

My Tips for CO-washing: Take a palmful of conditioner and apply it to scalp. Rub it in like I would with shampoo. Take a small palmful and apply it to the rest of my hair piled on top of my head and rub it in. Then I clip my hair on top of my head and shave, wash face, etc. Take the clip out and add a little water into my hair. Then I lather my hair up. Afterwards, I rinse by flipping my head upside down in the water and rubbing my scalp and hair to get the conditioner out. Rinsing is key! Then I flip my hair back up and rinse again.

on 9/4/2010 4:20:00 PM

I just started cowashing and have been using this based on the overwhelming popularity in CO community. I had my doubts especially since I am used to paying $$$$$ for salon/organic brands. This method and product have worked miracles in my hair! It feels so clean, so soft, and rinses out completely. I never have greasy roots, and I only "wash" every 2 or 3 days. The formula is really great for the money; no cones, no proteins, no parabens, no dyes! At 99 cents it is a STEAL! I Rotate this with the clarifying V05 tea therapy's and my hair had NEVER been better. Mix this with brown sugar every other week for a thorough deep clean/scalp massage and you will never go back to shampoo!!!!!

on 11/15/2012 11:30:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Within the last year I returned to this conditioner because I wanted to go silicone-free. I can't believe how good it is for the price. My hair is very long and finely textured, and this stuff keeps it smooth, soft, smelling nice, and helps with breakage (a problem I ran into with other silicone-laden hair products). Once or twice a week I use a deep conditioner and/or coconut oil and the routine is working out well for me. Seriously, you don't need expensive hair products!

on 2/10/2012 5:00:00 PM

I used this product as a co-wash for the Curly Girl method. I loved the scent and the smooth finish but it wasn't clarifying enough for a co-wash i.e. I found myself having to use shampoo more often which is a big CG nono. I would recommend V05 products over Suave products for co-washing.

on 1/27/2008 12:08:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Sigh.
I hate to be the party pooper, but this conditioner isn't what it used to be. :-(

The smell is still a rich, luscious coconut which is why I bought it in the first place (and still have 2 bottles of it in my bathroom closet). But the conditioning properties now stink.

This conditioner used to leave my hair soft, smooth, less frizzy, shiny, and with a rich coconut scent that lasted for DAYS! Now it still leaves the scent but makes my hair frizzy, drier(if that's possible), and does nothing for shine. It seems to coat my hair but not condition it.

I'm so sad that they changed the formula. It used to have real coconut extract and coconut oil. Now it's main ingredients consist of chemicals whose names consist of 23 letters and a PhD in Science to know what they are, and fragrance.

Won't repurchase until they bring back the old formula(and the milk & honey conditioner which was just as wonderful as the original coconut).

on 8/18/2014 10:31:00 AM

I tried this once and hated it, but I have completely changed my mind. Now I know how to make it work for my wiry, thick, VERY curly hair.

Initially I found it too thin, too runny, and just not moisturizing at all; my hair needs lots of moisture. It did nothing for me and I threw it away. Then I tried Garnier Marvelous Oil (the nourishing type) and loved it, so for some reason I remembered this conditioner and decided to give it another go, since so many curly girls swear by it. I used it to co-wash, but I mixed it with a little of the Marvelous Oil. I still had to use LOTS of the conditioner, but since it's cheaper than dirt, that's O.K.

Result: great curls! The Marvelous Oil gave the Suave Coconut the boost it needed. I even used a little of the conditioner/oil mixture for a leave-in. So, I'm glad I gave this conditioner another try. I'm giving it only four lippies because it doesn't work for me on its own, but I'm very pleased with the "doctored" performance and will keep it in my rotation of conditioners.