Bare Escentuals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen

Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide 12% Inactive Ingredients: Ascorbyl Palmitate, Tocopheral Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Aloe Barbadensis (Leaf Extract)Lycium Chinensis (Lych Berry) Extract, Ranunculus Ficaria Root Extract, Silica..... ( /-): Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77482, CI 77489),Ultramarines (CI 77007), Titanium Dioxide(CI 77891), Bismuth Oxychloride (CI 77163).

on 4/6/2009 12:08:00 PM

My first review, but the results were so poor I felt I had to warn others. I used this over the weekend in Las Vegas. I have very fair skin, and am pretty religious about the sunscreen, especially on my face. I reapplied constantly throughout the day, because it's nearly impossible to tell if product is coming out (although color did show up on the brush), but when I went to bed last night I discovered that I was horribly burned (except for the portion of my face that was covered by a hat, thank goodness). I really wanted to like this product, but I'm so upset by the damage to my skin ... if only I had stuck with my tried-and-true lotion sunscreen... sigh.

on 3/28/2009 6:11:00 PM

This is great stuff! Much better than the PTR powder. I'd still recommend it if the color match works for you, but it doesn't for me.

I picked up the version for fair skin. The price is great at $28. (I've paid $45 for other mineral brush-on sunscreens).

It helps blot oil, doesn't rub off on clothes, and is not greasy (hallelujah!)

The brush is so much softer than other brush-ons. Very good quality, but stiffer than foundation brushes and sparse enough to distribute the powder well. It twists shut while retracting the brush, so the bristles never get crushed.

Edit: reducing the lippies after seeing it oxidize to yet another orange shade of BE after a few hours. Bleh.

on 7/2/2010 6:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Wow, this is the first product I've ever given only 1 lippie. The reason I do so is because this product is extremely misleading. First of all, the packaging is made so that it's almost impossible to tell whether you're getting any product out at all. I have to crane my neck at all sort of ridiculous angles to try and see if my skin has become matte -- that's how I can tell whether any has come out, and even then I can tell it's not ever a lot of product. It also makes my foundation darker, as if it's oxidized, which I hate because I'm pale and don't want to turn orange during the day. But what I really dislike about this product is that I don't think it gives you real SPF 30 protection with the amount that you do get out in a usual application. I don't think you could ever apply enough with the applicator given to get SPF 30. Plus, it's $30 for this awful applicator and dubious protection. Really disappointing product, would never buy again. Right now I'm using Physicians Formula Healthy Wear SPF 50 powder foundation as a setting powder which is a lot thicker coverage and has both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide so I know I'm getting at least somewhat better protection.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Bare Escentuals SPF 30 Natural Sunscreen pleasantly surprised me. I like it very much. I am fair to light (MAC NC20) and use SPF30 Natural Sunscreen in the light color.

Not being a fan of the Bare Escentuals foundation, I didn't expect to like this product. I was wrong. On me, Bare Escentuals regular foundation finds every pore and fine line leaving me lit up like a second-hand disco ball. The matte foundation, while better, is a bit too flat for my taste and can look mask-like. The Natural Sunscreen, by contrast, looks completely natural: no glow, shimmer, mica or dew and yet not matte. To my eye it looks like skin. Even in direct sunlight. There is very light (and I mean very light) coverage.

I admit that I don't trust that I can apply enough of this to reach the SPF 30, so I rarely use this as my sole form of sun protection. I do use quite a bit, however, and it never looks cakey or powdery.

What I love is the convenience. Just twist up, swirl on and go. I use this to bump up my SPF coverage in the afternoon, after workouts at the gym, and on no makeup days. I often receive compliments on my skin when wearing only Natural Sunscreen.

I haven't experienced any problems with the packaging. My components haven't leaked, nor have I had any trouble getting product to dispense. I don't baby them and so far they've held up in my tote and gym bags.

Natural Sunscreen turned out to be a decent value for the money. One container lasts me 6-9 months. Between that, the finish and convenience, I'm pretty well sold.

on 1/10/2010 4:55:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I can use the product for a max of 3 days in a row.

On day 4 I get sore areas, usually around my nose.
On day 5 I develop a deep cyst-like pimple with a red surround and white core of pus where there was soreness the day before.

Obviously I discontinued use, but the breakout will take over a week to clear.

So far, I have had EXACTLY this reaction to BE mineral foundation, this mineral SPF 30 sunscreen and Pur Minerals 4 in 1 foundation. It only happens with products that contain bismuth oxychoride.

on 4/30/2009 10:20:00 AM

Well, this product sure is a LOT better than a cream suncreen. The best part for me is this blots oil, rather than creating it like traditional sun blocks! This doesn't mess with either the color or the airbrushed effect I work so hard to achieve with my foundation. The one thing is though I percieve the coverage to be light, so this is good to use as an everyday sunscreen that should be reapplied every time you head outdoors, but i really don't think it would be enough coverage to wear as your only form of sunscreen if you are on vacation or doing any sort of serious outdoor activity.

on 6/27/2011 9:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love the way this product looks on my face when I can actually see where it is going. To do so, I have to grab a mirror and get into my walk-in shower, which is south-facing and has a large window in it. Otherwise, I cannot really see if I am covering anything.

Finally managed to get the brush head off. Here's how:
1) Remove cap.
2) Twist up to the Open position.
3) Grab hold of brush head with one hand and hold onto the rest of the cylinder with the other.
4) Pull the brush head STRAIGHT UP! (Watch that the powder doesn't going flying everywhere.)

Now, you can wash/dry the brush head. To replace, set to Open and snap back in. Hope this helps everyone!

on 1/30/2012 1:17:00 AM

Now that they've improved the packaging, I can finally write a 5-lippy review for this super convenient sunscreen.

PROS: SPF 30 with no oil or emollients, good for people who are sensitive to chemical sunscreens, doesn't break me out, has a subtle mattifying and tone-evening effect, they finally designed a dispensing system that works

CONS: Even with the new dispensing system where I can remove the brush for cleaning, the brush gets pretty gross

This is the ONLY beauty product I use every single day. Why? It's simple, convenient, serves an important purpose, and has never caused a breakout. I don't use any other BA products, but I'm glad I switched to this one (from Peter Thomas Roth's version of the same thing) a couple years ago. The $28 price tag doesn't seem bad to me for a daily use product like this that lasts several months and serves multiple purposes.

on 7/9/2011 1:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This is a great powder sunscreen.
Doesn't clog pores/never broke me out at all/did not irritate my skin.
Can be worn over makeup or alone. The slight color does not affect makeup, and actually gives a bit of an airbrushed look.
The slight color also makes it possible for you to see it coming out/going on, which is nice. There is also a tiny bit of fragrance, probably for this purpose.
Excellent SPF - I bought this before going to Santorini for a week, wore it every day and never got burned.
Good staying power.
Won't sting your eyes like liquid sunscreens (caught my husband putting it on a few times!).
Packaging is pretty good - a little tricky, but better than a lot of the other powder sunscreens out there.
Only con is the price. $28 is a bit much for me to spend on sunscreen. But I will, because this is worth it.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

On a sunny day I spotted that my face is radiating not a HEALTHY glow but rather an oil sleek from my LRP Anthelios spf50+ fluid that I had applied generously in the morning so I had a choice - either go and buy Shiseido blotting papers (they are the best!) or add several and get some more sunprotection with this powder product.

I went for this sunscreen but I am not 100% happy with it hence only 4 lippies. It is not a bad product though!

+ sunscreen
+ portable packaging (with brush and it is possible to close it off)
+ can replace blotting papers (if you blot with a tissue instead and then apply it for a matte finish AND sunprotection)

- too dark for me (I will never understand why companies think that everybody wants to be TANNED?! I am quite pale and I like it that way, I am using Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua in B20 for reference) and I am using the lightest colour
- expensive (I paid 25 which imho is WAY TOO MUCH for something as necessary as sunscreen! When cosmetic companies are going to understand that and introduce effective, yet affordable products that are pleasure to use?)
- even though the 1st on the ingredients list is mica it gives a very flat matte appearance, which I am not very keen of as it makes me look OLDER! But I am ready to put up with it knowing that I am working against getting older after all, lol! I try to apply it on my tzone and the rest of my face (like undereyes) I am treating to Anthelios stick
- difficult to get out the right amount of product - though I usually see when it starts to get out (one has to open the turn FULLY) as my face is getting DARKER lol!

So there are more minuses than pluses but I am still happy with my purchase. I have even stopped using my pressed powder from YSL during the day (it does not have sunsceen) and I am using this instead. I wish they would bring out much ligher shade than the lightest they have now.

Top Rated Bare Escentuals Products