Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder

3.6

Mica, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Isopropyl Linoleate, Synthetic Wax, Polymethyl-silsesquioxane, Water, Zinc Stearate, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Silica, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Barium Sulfate, Dimethylacrylamide/Acrylic Acid/Polystyrene Ethyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Ethoxydiglycol, Sodium Dehydroaceatate, Lycium Barbarum Fruit Extract (Goji Berry), Trisodium Edta, Peat Extract, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-14, Dimethicone, Gold. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides

on 4/8/2015 5:41:00 AM

Ok, I had such great expectations about this product. Having dehydrated skin, I thought it could be my HG. This powder doesn't give much cover and shade choice is very limited, still it could be an ok product have it lived to it's hydrating promises.... I tried millions of powders/foundations before (mostly department store ones), this powder is by mile the most drying and most unattractive thing I have put on my skin! I look after my skin and didn't have dry patches in months, but after applying Halo I was covered in dry patches ! It managed to accentuate fine lines that I didn't know existed , it felt very uncomfortable like instantly it sucked all the moisture out of my face!! Awful, just awful. LM mineral powder doesn't promise to hydrate yet compared to Halo it's unbelievably moisturising !!

I have so much to say about the Halo foundation and since I have a somewhat similar, yet different opinion from everyone else, I decided to put it out there in hopes that it helps someone out. Believe me, I did my research before purchasing this product and no sales representative could have convinced me to try it on before reading hundreds of reviews!

I am a 31 year old Hispanic woman with medium brown hair with green eyes. My skin type: On the dry side, fair with a yellow undertone. I used to wear the original fairly light in BE and the fair was too light/chalky/pink looking. I used to have moderate cystic acne, now I have breakouts less often and maybe one or two bumps at a time and 10 months a year I am almost 100% clear (I am taking ortho tri-cyclen and spironolactone for that and it saved my face!). My scars are very noticeable, but they're fading away thanks to chemical peels by PCA. Anyway, I'm not here to advertise other brands, but I am just providing details. I have pink and red scars and my texture isn't perfect...I have some indentations on my cheeks. Needless to say, coverage is a priority to me, but I don't want to sacrifice a natural look or the wrong shade to achieve that!

Even though BE provided medium to full coverage after the first application and my face looked glowy, it did not have staying power and it oxidized after only a few hours! I always wondered why my face looked more orange after 2 hours and realized that it was oxidation. Anyway, BE didn't break me out, but neither does Smashbox, so they're even in that respect. BE mineral foundation DID NOT stay on perfectly on my face the way Halo does. I apply HALO at 5:45 am, go to work (I work at a school and the a/c is on and off, walk around, sometimes sweat, I've gone to the gym as well, help out with the family business after work and close at 9, and when I get home and look in the mirror, my makeup looks just as flawless as when I first applied it in the morning. WHAT? YES! That's priceless to me and won't go back to anything less spectacular than that!

Rumors are true, Halo's coverage is sheer to light. Women with flawless skin or minor imperfections will LOVE this foundation, but there's no reason why women that have acne or many scars can't benefit from this wonderful formula and love it as well. Takes a few extra steps and products to make it work just as well, but don't expect this foundation alone to do all the coverage and work. The first time I tried it, I used no primer, bb cream, or concealer just to get an idea of how well it covered. Doesn't cover my pink scars well. On the same token, it doesn't cover my freckles (I like my freckles), unlike BE which covers pink (but not dark) scars, freckles, my natural color, and pretty much everything else that would help with the natural look I am going for. Halo's coverage is build-able!

The products I use that enhance the way Halo covers and makes me look flawless:
Smashbox Photo Finish Primer Light, Smashbox under eye brightner, Smashbox bb cream in fair/light, Halo powder in fair/light. Makes me look healthy, but it's a tad bid darker than my neck (but the color matches my face and arms well). Then I apply concealer. I use Bobbi Brown face touch up stick (have used MUFE full coverage, and loved Kat Von D tattoo concealer in light (they discontinued this color and they don't make them this light anymore), and I also use BE's well-rested multi-tasking powder on my pink scars. Just dab and blend on the problem areas (I take my time and use good brushes and clean fingers) and when that dries, I apply a light coat of Halo to cover that and blend it all together. I finish my skin routine with Smashbox's contour kit, Halo blush in peach, and Laura Mercier's finishing powder to set it all. Eye makeup is last, but you probably don't care about that.

I've experimented with many products and this is what works best for me at the moment. I am always in search of better products and combinations, but who isn't? Halo gives me a natural coverage because it doesn't bury my natural color and freckles where I don't have problem areas or scars, but it covers the imperfections after using concealer and blends well. Since the coverage is sheer, it eliminates the "mask" effect when you bring it down to your neck area. It's a smooth transition of color.

Halo is a little expensive, but it's worth it for me and I keep buying it. I run out of it fast...after 1 month! I don't understand the secret to making it last all year like other people have said...but I do need more coverage than the average girl. Uhm, I don't know! Lasts one month for me! And I apply it once a day, everyday, and two coats every time.

One last thing and it's not a minor detail! Smashbox photographs perfectly! So natural and matte looking! Read about their formula...they've formulated this to work on HD cameras and the difference is huge compared to how BE photographs. Just so you get an idea, I am using Smashbox on my wedding day also because I trust it will look great on pictures.

Hope this helps with making your final decision. Most makeup and department stores have great return policies. Don't forget to use any bb or cc cream before applying the Halo powder if you need more coverage! I did not like how Halo powder looks on top of liquid foundation and I tried the best brands: Armani, Chanel, Givenchy, Laura, Estee Lauder, Smashbox, etc. Have fun experimenting and I really hope you find the makeup that will make you look flawless and beautiful (thought we're all beautiful without makeup, but society dictates what perfection should look like, unfortunately)!

on 12/26/2014 7:22:00 PM

I really wanted to like this, but just could not at all. It broke me out, the pigment just wasn't there and it made my skin look dull and flat :(

Returning it.

on 10/28/2014 9:24:00 PM

I keep coming back to smash box halo. Yes, it is expensive but lasts me about a year. It goes on smooth with or without foundation and seems to live up to its hydration promises. A winner

on 9/14/2014 10:26:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I was a bit concerned about using face powder as I've heard that it can settle into your skin and accentuate wrinkles [I've learned now that this is most likely pressed powders, not loose powders] so I opted for a travel version of Smashbox HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder. I am very pleased with this product. This loose powder is incredibly light and does not build up on the skin. It provides a lovely matte finish without looking dull. The price of $25 for 0.25 oz is reasonable, and I love the packaging which has a built in "shaver" which ensures that you are not getting more product than you need at the time. I will definitely be buying this product again.

on 7/24/2014 11:53:00 AM

I don't seem to understand the negative reviews on this product! I think this powder is perfect for me during the summer months when I want my skin to breathe and go foundation free. first off I Have oily skin with a few dry patches, usually powder products in the summer looks like its sitting in my pores and looks unnatural , but this powder is amazing its glides over my skin flawlessly giving my skin a polished look. it covers my slight imperfections without actually covering it if that makes any sense, its a blurring effect which is really nice. I would totally buy it again, even though its really expensive hence why I knocked off a lippie in the overall rating. otherwise its a great product for me that I will use every summer! PS the packaging is sturdy too and good quality perfect for traveling.

on 7/10/2014 7:03:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

We'll Iam like everybody else . I wanted to love this product . Iam on my second container and to be honest it's nothing magical . I always use over top of a foundation . It's heavy , and sits in my pores . The transfer is horrible ! I have it everywhere ! If I hug my man it's on his shirt , if I rub my face it's on my hands . And oh my god oil slick ! It doesn't nothing for my oily skin but I swear make it worse . Iam blotting within two hours. I will keep it around because you know $70 cdn I better . But honestly I wouldn't waste your money . I use a ton of high end products being in the biz bit I am going back to my old school cover girl loose powder . It's always set my makeup just fine without all of these horrid problems!

on 7/6/2014 1:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This stuff was the worst. Sits atop my face; yet doesn't cover anything. Too expensive. Bad color choices.

I love this especially for "light days" . Not that good for oily skin but looks nice for first few hours... Then needs to be blotted & reapplied.

on 6/23/2014 9:18:00 AM

I can honestly say that I'm amazed that this has so many good reviews! I got it as part of the Try It kit and can honestly say that it's very run of the mill and ordinary. As for being hydrating, well, it's a powder, so I don't really know what I expected, but it certainly doesn't hydrate. Like most Smashbox creams, it has an orange tinge, leaving me looking like I've been tango'd. I give up on Smashbox completely, it's overpriced rubbish.

Top Rated Smashbox Products