April 19, 2014 | 1945 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Evablue87

Yep not for me. Pimple and red small rashes on my cheeks. Bit too strong for my skin. The texture is light but I prefer Shiseido Anessa Essence or Woolworth clear Zinc sunscreen. The package is nice small and square, I would love to use this more because it of Matt and light texture but my skin just cannot take it. Bit pricey for sunscreen too. High expectation high disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by winnie231084

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this sunscreen because I think it will definitely a good product as it comes from a "luxury" brand Chanel.

I like it at first because its milky and matte sunscreen, not oily feeling like other products, the bottle and the smell are great, too . However my skin is very sensitive, I have used DIOR skincare and make up, and sunscreen products (even the sunscreen is not good effective) for many years then switched to this Chanel sunscreen to see better result.

However its not !! I bought it when I was back to my hometown for several months where is very humidity and hot country. My face gets darker, skin looks dryer, make up not look smooth after I applied this sunscreen, the worst thing is pimples appeared around the cheek after one week trying so I have to stop it. Even it gives me the feeling of matte, non greasy but Its definitely not for me as a combination and very sensitive skin person.

My one is old version (2013). Not the latest one (2014). Wont purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by Liadhaincanavan

The new formula is just awful. I was a religious user of the old formula, and am now on a desperate hunt for a replacement brand. Will not be repurchasing. I tried both UV 30 and UV 50 just in case. No joy. Why, Chanel, why?!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by GenAlex

That´s right, they have changed the formulation, at least for the USA market, regarding new regulations over the SPF products. And since they "took away" the UVA protection (PA+++) which is my main concern, for it fights wrinkles and dark spots, I´m not repurchasing it again. It is a real pity tough because it was such a perfect product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by EvaVic

The previous formulation was matte while the new product(s) is (are) much more oily and has a heavier feel on the skin.
They did change the formulation as 2013. (My rating reflects the new formulation. I did like very much the original formulation!)

Chanel UV Essentiel SPF 50 (US, EU)
Original version 1
Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium Dioxide 2%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Talc, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-8, Parfum (Fragrance), Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben, Aluminum Dimyristate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Ppg-1-Peg-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Hedera Helix (Ivy) Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Phytic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Bht, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben

Original version 2
Ingredients: Active: Octinoxate (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (19%), Other: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Alcohol Denatured, Isononyl Isononanoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Tocophereryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Mannitol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Glycogen, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Tilia Cordata Wood Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Chlorphenesin, Faex (Yeast Extract), Bht, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Oxide)

New versions 2013
UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 20 (2013)

Ensulizole 3%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 10.2%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Alcohol, Isononyl Isononanoate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Isododecane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Sodium Chloride, Alumina, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30

Ensulizole 2.7%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 12.6%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Alcohol, Glycerin, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50 (US)

Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium dioxide 1.6%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Inactive ingredients
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Water, Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50+ (EU)
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Titanium Dioxide, Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

23 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The best facial sunscreen out there. I've tried La Roche Posay and it left a white cast on my face (I now save it for the beach). I started off with a sample that was included with an online purchase of Chanel's primer but now I realize that this makes a good primer, too. I do not notice a white cast and I actually enjoy the fragrance. It's more like using a luxurious cosmetic than a typical sunscreen. Because it contains both chemical and physical sunblocks, it provides both UVB and UVB protection. Sure, the price is steep but in the world of cosmetics you get what you pay for. Ask a SA for a sample before you make the commitment. Chanel counters are very generous with samples; they sincerely want you to become a Chanel customer for life. Which I am, even if it means scrimping elsewhere.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by S4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The new version does not appear to have the PA +++ rating which the previous one did on the box. Also the ingredients no longer list zinc oxide which is important for good UVA protection.
I'm worried about whether it still offers the same protection as the old one did. Does anyone know if it is still the same product ? Hope it is from the great reviews of the older version.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2013 12:33:00 PM More reviews by fechenwiesen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am updating a review I already wrote for this. I have been buying this for years and loved it. I repurchased it last week and found that the scent has changed and it is no longer matte on my skin. The protection still can´t be beat, but it has left me with a greasy canvas for my make up. Despite blotting and more powder, I was still a greasy mess. I am angry that I spent this much on sunscreen in a country that won´t take cosmetic returns. My search for a good daily under make up sunscreen will continue. I don´t know why they changed their formulation!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 6:29:00 AM More reviews by e84

My favorite Sun block. Super light, absorbs quickly, does not leave my face white. I always apply quite a generous amount of it on the top of a moisturizer (Omorovicza night cream at the moment, which I also use during the day time), I have had no breakouts and it really protects my skin as I have been on holidays and not once have I felt that I have burned my face skin. I am not a fan of sunbathing but even during the day in the city I like to use quite a strong SPF. My face still has a beautiful color from the Sun, yet looks healthy and not damaged. I have used it for 3 years or so and will continue using it. The other one i also use and love is La Mer SPF 30 which is in my opinion equivalent to this one. It has a similar texture, feels light yet works.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by lolo100

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have been using this for 3 years and I am yet to find a better sunscreen. It's not greasy, drying, sticky or heavy. It smells good, goes on easily and offers good protection. I never broke out from this product, it has a slight whitish tint but it blends in with the skin tone or if I use my foundation (Chanel) over, its goes on well as the sunscreen provides adequate moisture.
Also this bottle lasts me 6 months so it actually is not that pricey :)