September 19, 2014 | 887 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by candokid

Got this for a 4-day sun-filled weekend. I normally don't wear sunscreen as they break me out or cause other irritations like itchy bumps or make a fading pimple seem to become unable to heal and go away. So I was really looking forward to a product that might work better with its watery light consistency. I used this product for 3 days straight. At first, I thought this is working, but after the 3 days then going back to being without it, I realized my face was slowly becoming irritated with filled-looking pores on my nose and a few tiny pimples on my forehead. Don't know what I'm sensitive to, as I tried many different brands and formulations of sunscreen, but this Chanel product didn't work for me.

Also, my face was slowly becoming drier with dry patches appearing. Turns out this product has straight-up alcohol listed as an ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by anirbef

UV Essentiel Complete Daily UV Protection Anti Pollution SPF 50 PA+++
I bought this sunblock because the ravishing reviews everywhere.. I was hunting for a sunblock that works for normal-oily skin and blocks both UVA UVB.
Then I tried this sunblock and... wow, this is what I have been searching for!
It comes with slim simple white plastic tube, it is practical and you don't have to squeeze hard.
The texture is very light, oil free yet moisturizes on my normal or when my skin is dehydrated. After application it dries quite quick, leaves dewy finish. My skin gets shiny after couple of hours if I use it alone, so I have to put powder on top of it to hold the dewy-look longer.
Actually I prefer fragrance-free sunblock , but its scent is just acceptable.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Evablue87

Yep not for me. Pimple and red small rashes on my cheeks. Bit too strong for my skin. The texture is light but I prefer Shiseido Anessa Essence or Woolworth clear Zinc sunscreen. The package is nice small and square, I would love to use this more because it of Matt and light texture but my skin just cannot take it. Bit pricey for sunscreen too. High expectation high disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by winnie231084

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this sunscreen because I think it will definitely a good product as it comes from a "luxury" brand Chanel.

I like it at first because its milky and matte sunscreen, not oily feeling like other products, the bottle and the smell are great, too . However my skin is very sensitive, I have used DIOR skincare and make up, and sunscreen products (even the sunscreen is not good effective) for many years then switched to this Chanel sunscreen to see better result.

However its not !! I bought it when I was back to my hometown for several months where is very humidity and hot country. My face gets darker, skin looks dryer, make up not look smooth after I applied this sunscreen, the worst thing is pimples appeared around the cheek after one week trying so I have to stop it. Even it gives me the feeling of matte, non greasy but Its definitely not for me as a combination and very sensitive skin person.

My one is old version (2013). Not the latest one (2014). Wont purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by Liadhaincanavan

The new formula is just awful. I was a religious user of the old formula, and am now on a desperate hunt for a replacement brand. Will not be repurchasing. I tried both UV 30 and UV 50 just in case. No joy. Why, Chanel, why?!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by GenAlex

That´s right, they have changed the formulation, at least for the USA market, regarding new regulations over the SPF products. And since they "took away" the UVA protection (PA+++) which is my main concern, for it fights wrinkles and dark spots, I´m not repurchasing it again. It is a real pity tough because it was such a perfect product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by EvaVic

The previous formulation was matte while the new product(s) is (are) much more oily and has a heavier feel on the skin.
They did change the formulation as 2013. (My rating reflects the new formulation. I did like very much the original formulation!)

Chanel UV Essentiel SPF 50 (US, EU)
Original version 1
Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium Dioxide 2%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Talc, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-8, Parfum (Fragrance), Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben, Aluminum Dimyristate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Ppg-1-Peg-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Hedera Helix (Ivy) Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Phytic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Bht, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben

Original version 2
Ingredients: Active: Octinoxate (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (19%), Other: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Alcohol Denatured, Isononyl Isononanoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Tocophereryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Mannitol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Glycogen, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Tilia Cordata Wood Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Chlorphenesin, Faex (Yeast Extract), Bht, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Oxide)

New versions 2013
UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 20 (2013)

Ensulizole 3%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 10.2%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Alcohol, Isononyl Isononanoate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Isododecane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Sodium Chloride, Alumina, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30

Ensulizole 2.7%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 12.6%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Alcohol, Glycerin, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50 (US)

Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium dioxide 1.6%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Inactive ingredients
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Water, Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50+ (EU)
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Titanium Dioxide, Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

27 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The best facial sunscreen out there. I've tried La Roche Posay and it left a white cast on my face (I now save it for the beach). I started off with a sample that was included with an online purchase of Chanel's primer but now I realize that this makes a good primer, too. I do not notice a white cast and I actually enjoy the fragrance. It's more like using a luxurious cosmetic than a typical sunscreen. Because it contains both chemical and physical sunblocks, it provides both UVA and UVB protection. Sure, the price is steep but in the world of cosmetics you get what you pay for. Ask a SA for a sample before you make the commitment. Chanel counters are very generous with samples; they sincerely want you to become a Chanel customer for life. Which I am, even if it means scrimping elsewhere.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by S4

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The new version does not appear to have the PA +++ rating which the previous one did on the box. Also the ingredients no longer list zinc oxide which is important for good UVA protection.
I'm worried about whether it still offers the same protection as the old one did. Does anyone know if it is still the same product ? Hope it is from the great reviews of the older version.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 6/26/2013 12:33:00 PM More reviews by fechenwiesen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am updating a review I already wrote for this. I have been buying this for years and loved it. I repurchased it last week and found that the scent has changed and it is no longer matte on my skin. The protection still can´t be beat, but it has left me with a greasy canvas for my make up. Despite blotting and more powder, I was still a greasy mess. I am angry that I spent this much on sunscreen in a country that won´t take cosmetic returns. My search for a good daily under make up sunscreen will continue. I don´t know why they changed their formulation!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No