October 25, 2014 | 1922 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Protective UV Care Anti Pollution SPF 50

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2014 3:10:00 PM More reviews by ship20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

When I first tried this sunscreen I was really pleased since it was everything I wanted in a sunscreen. It was easy to work with, did not leave a white cast and most importantly was not greasy. It did not hinder the longevity of my foundation. I decided to repurchase but was very disappointed after discovering that this sunscreen had been reformulated. I used it under my mac face and body foundation. It seemed greasy and my friend commented on my foundation looking light for me. Even though I welcome criticism, I appeared the opposite and didn't seem to accept that it could be my foundation since it offered very minimal coverage. It was this sunscreen to blame. I applied the sunscreen to half of my face and left the other half without sunscreen and then applied the same foundation. The half with this sunscreen looked lighter. Although some sunscreens have a white cast initially upon application, the cast fades over time, however with this one it's not the case. I would recommend the Clarins UV plus sunscreen for anyone who wants a better alternative.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by wenyuzhang88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a pretty solid daily sunscreen for your face. It is a thin and watery liquid that spreads out nicely across your skin. I only need four tiny drops to cover my entire face and it does not feel oily at all. I let it dry for a minute or two before I start my base makeup. I adore the packaging, which is a compact little white bottle that is travel friendly.

Of course, being Chanel, the price point is quite high. If you are looking for a slightly lower price point, I would suggest Clarins' UV Plus HP Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Sunscreen Multi-Protection. It doesn't have the nice smell or the sexy packaging of the Chanel, but the product itself is fairly similar and retails at a lower price for a higher volume.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2014 10:36:00 PM More reviews by Coconoir2012

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Best facial sunscreen on the market. Feels like water, doesn't have that nasty sunscreen smell and I can add it to my moisturizer or sunscreen and it isn't sticky or thick.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/7/2014 3:57:00 AM More reviews by candokid

Got this for a 4-day sun-filled weekend. I normally don't wear sunscreen as they break me out or cause other irritations like itchy bumps or make a fading pimple seem to become unable to heal and go away. So I was really looking forward to a product that might work better with its watery light consistency. I used this product for 3 days straight. At first, I thought this is working, but after the 3 days then going back to being without it, I realized my face was slowly becoming irritated with filled-looking pores on my nose and a few tiny pimples on my forehead. Don't know what I'm sensitive to, as I tried many different brands and formulations of sunscreen, but this Chanel product didn't work for me.

Also, my face was slowly becoming drier with dry patches appearing. Turns out this product has straight-up alcohol listed as an ingredient.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2014 9:48:00 AM More reviews by anirbef

UV Essentiel Complete Daily UV Protection Anti Pollution SPF 50 PA+++
I bought this sunblock because the ravishing reviews everywhere.. I was hunting for a sunblock that works for normal-oily skin and blocks both UVA UVB.
Then I tried this sunblock and... wow, this is what I have been searching for!
It comes with slim simple white plastic tube, it is practical and you don't have to squeeze hard.
The texture is very light, oil free yet moisturizes on my normal or when my skin is dehydrated. After application it dries quite quick, leaves dewy finish. My skin gets shiny after couple of hours if I use it alone, so I have to put powder on top of it to hold the dewy-look longer.
Actually I prefer fragrance-free sunblock , but its scent is just acceptable.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/16/2014 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Evablue87

Yep not for me. Pimple and red small rashes on my cheeks. Bit too strong for my skin. The texture is light but I prefer Shiseido Anessa Essence or Woolworth clear Zinc sunscreen. The package is nice small and square, I would love to use this more because it of Matt and light texture but my skin just cannot take it. Bit pricey for sunscreen too. High expectation high disappointment.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by winnie231084

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought this sunscreen because I think it will definitely a good product as it comes from a "luxury" brand Chanel.

I like it at first because its milky and matte sunscreen, not oily feeling like other products, the bottle and the smell are great, too . However my skin is very sensitive, I have used DIOR skincare and make up, and sunscreen products (even the sunscreen is not good effective) for many years then switched to this Chanel sunscreen to see better result.

However its not !! I bought it when I was back to my hometown for several months where is very humidity and hot country. My face gets darker, skin looks dryer, make up not look smooth after I applied this sunscreen, the worst thing is pimples appeared around the cheek after one week trying so I have to stop it. Even it gives me the feeling of matte, non greasy but Its definitely not for me as a combination and very sensitive skin person.

My one is old version (2013). Not the latest one (2014). Wont purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/8/2014 8:49:00 AM More reviews by Liadhaincanavan

The new formula is just awful. I was a religious user of the old formula, and am now on a desperate hunt for a replacement brand. Will not be repurchasing. I tried both UV 30 and UV 50 just in case. No joy. Why, Chanel, why?!!

rated 1 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:14:00 PM More reviews by GenAlex

That´s right, they have changed the formulation, at least for the USA market, regarding new regulations over the SPF products. And since they "took away" the UVA protection (PA+++) which is my main concern, for it fights wrinkles and dark spots, I´m not repurchasing it again. It is a real pity tough because it was such a perfect product.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/7/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by EvaVic

The previous formulation was matte while the new product(s) is (are) much more oily and has a heavier feel on the skin.
They did change the formulation as 2013. (My rating reflects the new formulation. I did like very much the original formulation!)

Chanel UV Essentiel SPF 50 (US, EU)
Original version 1
Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium Dioxide 2%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Aqua (Water), Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Talc, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Peg-8, Parfum (Fragrance), Caprylyl Glycol, Methylparaben, Aluminum Dimyristate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Ppg-1-Peg-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Hedera Helix (Ivy) Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Phytic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Polyacrylate, Bht, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben

Original version 2
Ingredients: Active: Octinoxate (7.5%), Zinc Oxide (19%), Other: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water, Alcohol Denatured, Isononyl Isononanoate, Dipropylene Glycol, Glycerin, Neopentyl Glycol Dicaprate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Dimethicone, Triethoxycaprylysilane, Peg-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Tocophereryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Mannitol, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Methylparaben, Glycogen, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Tilia Cordata Wood Extract, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Chlorphenesin, Faex (Yeast Extract), Bht, Peg-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, CI 77891 (Titanium Oxide)

New versions 2013
UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 20 (2013)

Ensulizole 3%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 10.2%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Alcohol, Isononyl Isononanoate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Glycerin, Isododecane, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Sodium Chloride, Alumina, Aluminum Hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methicone, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 30

Ensulizole 2.7%
Octinoxate 2%
Titanium dioxide 12.6%
Inactive ingredients
Water, Isononyl Isononanoate, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Ethylhexyl Methoxycrylene, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Alcohol, Glycerin, Silica, Dimethicone, Tromethamine, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Aluminum Hydroxide, Methicone, Stearic Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate, Fragrance, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Butylene Glycol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethiconol, Caprylyl Glycol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Propylene Carbonate, Pentylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, BHT, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50 (US)

Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium dioxide 1.6%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%
Inactive ingredients
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Water, Alcohol, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

UV ESSENTIEL COMPLETE SUNSCREEN UV PROTECTION ANTI-POLLUTION BROAD SPECTRUM SPF 50+ (EU)
Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Titanium Dioxide, Water, Alcohol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Caprylyl Methicone, Glycerin, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Fragrance, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Ectoin, Alumina, Propylene Carbonate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Pentylene Glycol, Silica, BHT, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, 3-Aminopropane Sulfonic Acid, Calcium Hydroxymethionine, Polysorbate 20, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Tocopherol

27 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No