September 19, 2014 | 1818 users online

Bath Treatments - Epsom Salts

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 10:41:00 AM More reviews by mswix

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Epsom salts have been my go to, must have, product for sore muscles, calming baths for the last 15 years. A friend way back when told me her dad used them after his walking postal route in the evenings. I had heard of people soaking their feet but not whole baths. I had some n my Equine first aid cabinet, so I tried them. At that time the cost was $2.99 per 3lb bag. When I overdo, which is often I have 5 horses, I can undo some of the damage with a good soak. I throw in Essential oils like Lavender in the evening or Arnica if I'm hurting. I could not do my chores and recover with out Epsom salts!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2014 1:56:00 AM More reviews by lollsazz

I use epsom salts to prevent/get rid of morning cramps in my ankles. Periodically, I wake up and accidentally stretch, and it causes my ankles to cramp - it continues like that EVERY morning, until I do something about it. Ankle cramps happen when I need more magnesium, which is a component of epsom salts. As soon as I do only ONE 20-25 min foot soak (I think more than 12-15 minutes is not actually necessary though), I get an effect almost immediately: the next morning my feet don't cramp nearly as much, and after two baths: no cramps! :) I really love that epsom salt baths are such a good source of magnesium, without having to take supplements! So yea - if you have cramps in your ankles in the morning, you should try epsom salts :)

Unortunately, I don't have a bathtub, so I can't test out what would happen if I took whole-body epsom salt baths.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/25/2014 1:27:00 PM More reviews by brittsmith33

I buy these when they are on sale at walmart in the huge bags i love taking epsom salt baths they really sooth my skin and release stress from a hectic day.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2014 12:47:00 PM More reviews by LilyJ

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have very dry but acne prone skin. I first tried epsom salts in a face mask and loved the results, my skin looked 'plumped up' and smooth. I now use it as a spray twice a day. In the morning under my moisturiser and foundation, and at night after toning and before moisturising. My skin looks a lot more balanced.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by meemicah

Here's a DIY recipe for making epsom salt body lotion:

1/2 cup of Epsom Salts
3/4 cup of warm water
2 cups of moisturizer lotion (thick as possible)

Instructions
Epsom salts have amazing health benefits but being able to soak in a tub of Epsom salts (typical application) is not always practical. This recipe blends the salt and the lotion to create a Epsom salt cream/lotion.

Mix the water and salt together and stir until all the salt crystals are dissolved. Next pour in the lotion (any basic brand) and mix well. You may need to use a whisk to combine it.

Pour into a clean jar or container.

Apply to the skin like a normal moisturizer. This lotion is great for burns, stings and aching tired joints.

Source: http://craftbits.com/project/epsom-salt-body-lotion/

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2014 4:51:00 PM More reviews by lebon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh my, MUA. You are responsible for so many wonderful discoveries!

I love baths - love.them. I haven't taken a shower since my c-section four and a half years ago (twins!). While I rarely have time to soak these days (see aforementioned twins), when I really need to unwind, Dr. Teal's chamomile epsom salts are my drug of choice ($4.89 for a 3-lb. bag).

Others have articulated the science behind the miracle far more effectively than I could, but I will say this: These salts make the water soft, and you can almost feel your muscles relaxing as you slip into the water. The scent is stronger while you soak than it is when you emerge from the bath (which is in my opinion a good thing, as I prefer to put on perfume or body spray after a bath).

My husband runs daily and occasionally goes through phases of muscle irritation. When he does, he uses Dr. Teal's Relax and Relief (eucalyptus and spearmint) salts to ease the pain.

Before I had my little ones, I was a bubble bath junkie -- tried everything from Aveda (which I adore) to Vaseline (also a favorite). When it comes to actual results, I have to endorse good old fashioned epsom salts.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 2:08:00 AM More reviews by PaleInComparison

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Epsom salt is amazing for so many things and it always brightens up my bath. I love Lush bath products and I like to add this to my baths with them, it's a relaxing and inexpensive addition to a great experience. But if I am low on bath bombs this is still great by itself, it can clear up body acne, soothe sore muscles and aches, soak your feet, clear your pores...honestly for how cheap this product is everyone who has a tub should get some. Even if you don't have a tub, this still works in foot soaking buckets ;)

Don't be fooled by super expensive brands, the biggest bag for the lowest price is always what I grab and I have no complaints. I've seen some with lavendar oils mixed in so that might be nice to look for, but either way grab a big bag- I can almost gaurantee you will suddenly love bathtime even if you are a shower person.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 5:46:00 AM More reviews by Rahine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Soooo I'm like 99% sure that this along with MSM (look it up, I add a bunch of this to my moisturizer and my skin tone and acne marks are evening out big time) is what cleared my skin and calms down my redness. All I do is get plain Epsom salts, grind it to a powder (optional), then take a teaspoons worth in my hand, add enough water to coat it, then GENTLY pat and rub it into my face until it dissolves. Add a little extra water if it doesn't slide easily. Then I just wait for it to dry. Once it gets a little tight and looks like I stuck my face in powdered sugar I rinse it all off and moisturize while my skins still a little wet. Makes your skin so soft and plump! It's so cheap and seems to be the only thing that keeps my bipolar skin in check! Its's probably because lots of people are deficient in magnesium sulfate ( what epsom salts consist of) and our body is able to absorb it when we put it on our skin since its able to penetrate the layers. It goes deep into the skin and pulls toxins from the body. Because of this you may experience a slight breakout due to the purging of toxins but it literally only lasts a couple days. It works very quickly. When I first started this I didn't put any moisturizer on because it made my skin so soft. I do this before bed and sometimes in the morning. One of my greatest discoveries :)

12 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 9:36:00 AM More reviews by organicmoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love in bath for muscle soreness, period cramps, migraines, bloating etc. Also I make a spray to use on face after cleansing before moisturizing. 2-3 Tbs in a cup of warm water, dissolve, shake and use. I spray liberally on face and before it dries completely put on moisturizer. My skin has cleared up dramatically in just a couple weeks. This is the only thing I've changed in my routine. My skin appears glowing from the inside. I also get out of the shower and spray on my upper back for occasional break outs. Wal-Mart sell a 2 lb box for .88 everyone needs to have this at home. Hope this helps.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by PattyTheK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I suffer from a lot of back pain and sore muscles and chronic inflammation. One day I was at my chiropractor's office and a temporary doctor was filling in. She asked me if I ever bathed in epsom salts. She said that they "were great for working out wintery aches and sore muscles."

I bought a bag not thinking it would help nor do any harm, either. I was willing to try anything! After the first bath soak I thought "big deal, this isn't helping!" and it really didn't!! I figured I needed to use it up anyway. By the second soak my body loved it! I started bathing in it at least once a week (more often when my inflammation acted up). IT IS WONDERFUL. I always have some on hand. Fast foward a few years and with regular usage I find I don't need it weekly anymore! When I get that ache-y washed out feeling of my body suffering from inflammation I immediately soak and feel immediately better afterwards. I can't explain it, but it works. I am never without.