Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

Aqua, Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides, Keratin Amino Acids, Aloe Barbadensis, Humulus Lupulus, Urtica Dioica, 1, 3, Bis(Hydroxymethyl)5, 5 Dimethylimidazolidine-2, 4 Dione, Methyl ester 4 Hydroxybenzoic Acid, Tetrasodium Edta, Polysorbate-20, Parfum.

on 9/19/2015 2:10:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I have seen this product so many times at Sallys and have finally gotten around to trying it. 2015 has been a very bad year for my poor hair. I've been dying mg hair black for about 9 years now with the random mostly failed attempts at lightening my hair which is very brief since I have a lot of hair unfortunately each hair is very fine making it prone to breakage. Normally I get the itch to be a blonde pick up a box of color remover, freak out when my hair is glowing orange and quickly dye it black. This sounds totally insane but I'd say it was a normal occurance at least once a year and luckily my hair pulled through undamaged. Well, this year was different. I bleached the hell out of my hair completely wrecking it and losing 7 inches of length which was mortifying enough but after dying it back to black yet again I realized I really screwed up this time. I've done everything to try to bring it back to life and stop and breakage and tame the flyaways. After this fiasco I vowed nk more boxed dye which has made a huge improvement but I was still experiencing breakage. On a whim I picked this up while I was buying my hair color and I followed the directions on the package except I waited closer to 30 minutes opposed to the 20 minutes per the directions. This product did the unthinkable. My hair feels and looks absolutely amazing! Breakage has been reduced by at least 90%, those pesky flyaways are gone and my hair feels healthy and strong. I was not expecting anything like this but I'm so in love I've been recommending this to everyone and my mom loved it too. I am no newbie to protein treatments, aphogee became my bff during these past few months but product actually did what I expected aphogee to do. Will never be without this product

on 5/12/2015 5:14:00 PM

I first discovered this product a couple of summers ago, when I decided to do a full two process color and use ion Lavender Color Brilliance as my all over color after bleaching. I got the full bleach, but when I went to apply the ion, which I do full strength, I got a super blotchy turnout. My hair just wasn't grabbing color. So I went to Sally and the woman there told me to get this. I did, having a little difficulty with application because of the packaging. I put another round of ion Lavender CB in, and lo and behold, I got a great, all over, nicely shaded lavender. My hair felt great after and suffered very little damage from the two step process.

I have long, very straight, baby fine hair. Seriously fine, as in, I can use a fine - toothed comb on my entire head when its wet. Another use I've found for Protein Filler is (and this is where I learned that a spray bottle is a necessity with PF), and this will sound nuts, but I have really, really fine hair, and there's a lot of it, but it is like spiderwebs. Weird I know. But because of this, I've long searched for volumizing products and always had at least one issue with every product. This is my off label use for PF:

When I have a special event, and want my cobwebs to hold a certain style, I use it straight, undiluted, in a fine mist spray bottle. I comb it through, not soaking my hair, but making it visibly damp. Then I run my fingers through it to spread the PF. Then I let it dry. Then, I style it. Because the PF gives it structure and heft, my hair can hold a style better and for longer. When I wash it out, I've gotten a protein treatment along with my style.

This stuff is a great secret, I love it and I always have it on hand, so yes on the repurchase.

on 3/18/2015 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I just don't get this product. I DON'T. and worse than it not working for me, it makes me feel dumb for not understanding why D:

I have used this both as a pre-treatment for coloring and mixing it directly with the dye. I've used the neutral and the red one back when I was a red head (or trying to be) and I saw no difference in the uptake of dye/longevity of dye.

This product's packaging is subpar because if you're not using it with your dye, you have to buy a spray bottle to ensure even application. Also, I don't like how it seems basically like water. No scent, it's only tinged with yellow...It's a very behind-the-scenes product, obviously.

I feel like for around the same price one can purchase Ion's Pre Color Treatment and get better results if just for the ease of application and pleasant scent. Not to mention you can buy it in one-use packets instead of a whole bottle if you're just curious.

all in all,
I would not repurchase this again, I saw now improvement in my coloring situation, and if I was going to buy a filler, I'd buy Ion's for the reasons listed above.

on 3/14/2015 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This product saved my bleached copper hair. I dyed it twice before this and nothing would stick to my hair. I used a spray bottle and applied this to wet hair for 20 minutes. I then applied ION color brilliance 7NA ash blonde, with a couple drops of ION ash intensifier and left it on for 15 minutes. The copper is gone, it is a bit blue on the ends but that will rinse out. The ash roots match perfectly with my natural hair color. This will make your hair a bit dry, so use a deep conditioning mask afterwards. Ladies, if you think you have ruined your hair, go try this. I promise you won't be disappointed!!!!

on 12/2/2014 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

This is an insanely effective product at a very low price. If you have ever bleached (or even lightened) your hair and you are adding dye to it - do not do so without a protein filler. Hell, if your hair is even slightly damaged from heat styling I would recommend using this before applying a dye. This will prevent the more porous areas of your hair from grabbing onto color more intensely than the rest of your hair.

Follow the directions. If you are worried about not being able to know if it's evenly applied on damp hair then buy 2 bottles and apply extra. It's worth the extra $5 to not have patchy colored hair.

I wish I found this earlier.

on 11/21/2014 9:08:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I've dyed my bleached hair black, and it always fades into a very patchy brown color. So I decided to try this out, and it worked! I applied it through out my towel dried hair, left it on for the recommended time, then added my black hair dye on top. One thing that bothers me is that it says to wet your hair before applying it, which I don't like because I don't know if I am applying it evenly.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I found this product after seeing someone use it before a color tutorial on you tube, but I didn't use it that way. On the back of the bottle, it says you can use this as a conditioning protein treatment. My hair is growing out six months of regrowth on long highlighted hair, and my hair was really not taking deposit only color well after years of the lightening. I used Aphogee in the past, but did not want to deal with the smell, so I tried this. It was around $6. I washed my hair, mixed some of the product with water, sprayed allover and left on for about 20 minutes. After I rinsed it out, I followed with a moisturizing conditioner, (just a .99 packet at Sally's near the checkout lane) and rinsed. My hair looked better and felt better. Also, there was no stinky smell to deal with. There was product left over for another treatment, and when I next used a toner on my hair, the color took really well. Will repurchase.

on 10/13/2014 6:59:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I'm not one to review beauty products but I really feel compelled to spread the word about this Neutral Protein Filler because it is truly a HG product. About me, I have typical Latin hair naturally- extremely thick, coarse, curly, and dark brown, almost black, just below the shoulders that I have been bleaching full-on white for over a year now with bleach and Wella T18 toner. All the processing has left my hair substantially damaged and porous and the main problem is/was that I have these random hyper-porous streaks all over my hair that absorb way too much of any purple-toned product I use such as the T18 or any toning shampoo, conditioner, etc. Like way, WAY too much, the rest of my hair will be white and I'll have these icky purple streaks that will not wash out with any product, not even Dawn dish soap. Enter Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, with "bio-active protein," a product that is meant to "equalize hair porosity for even color absorption" by "repairing previously damaged protein bonds." This stuff is MAGIC I tell ya! I tried it the last time I retouched my black regrowth and was amazed by the results. I followed the directions on the bottle-after I shampooed the bleach out I towel dried and applied Protein Filler using a spray bottle, making sure to fully saturate the pesky streaky areas, then let it dry for 20-30 minutes, applied the T18 toner and when I rinsed it out-PERFECTION! My hair was all a uniform white-blonde with not a single lavender streak and was very soft as well. I recommend this product to anyone who double (or more) processes their hair on a regular basis to counteract the porosity. It can also be used as an "active protein reconstructing conditioner" by diluting with 1/3 water which I'm going to try next wash. The bottle says to REFRIGERATE any leftover filler because it contains bio-active proteins and once diluted may spoil. I'm guessing those bio-active guys are what make this product work so well. TRY THIS PRODUCT!

on 9/26/2014 12:32:00 AM

I've never written a review before but this product is such a miracle that I feel compelled to share. I had bleached white blonde hair with about an inch and a half of regrowth and I wanted to go strawberry blonde. I used a few strawberry blonde toners but they washed out very quickly so I decided to go copper. I put aside all my better judgement and colored it with Wella Titian red blonde. Obviously the roots were strawberry blonde and the bleached ends were a mucky mauvey pink. It was hideous. In the wake of a midnight judgement lapse i ran to Safeway to try and color it again. I bought a light auburn shade that turned my roots orangey brown and the ends a murky greenish ash. Not only was my hair the most hideous color ever it was also very brittle and fried. There was major breakage on my crown as well. :( deeeeevastating. I somehow refrained from calling in sick to work and ran to Sally's straight after. I picked up the neutral protein filler, ion color brilliance demi in a light copper shade, and 3 hydrating hair masks. I followed the instructions on the bottle and let it process for 20 mins, then put the color on. When I rinsed it all out I had the most beautiful, even, shiny copper red color. My hair even feels much healthier! It was the happiest moment since my wedding vows. This product is a life saver!!! I will definitely be using it every time I color!

on 7/17/2014 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had been silvery/platinum blonde for about 6 months and I wanted to go back to a more natural color while I was growing my hair out. I had about 1/2 inch roots of my natural ash brown and the rest was still platinum. I had heard horror stories of bleached hair grabbing green or grey when trying to cover so thought I'd give this a try and am SO glad I did!!

I followed the directions on the back by applying it to wet hair, leaving for 20 minutes, then applied the color (Medium Red Neutral Blonde/7RN with a 20 volume developer.) My roots and bleached hair all came out evenly toned with the roots a bit darker but over all a really natural looking strawberry blonde which is exactly what I was hoping for!

It also left my hair shiny and silky. I am so glad I found this stuff!