L'Oreal Superior Preference Hair Colour

3.5

on 2/17/2015 12:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Not too sure why there are so many poor/mediocre reviews on this product ! I personally love this hair color. I suppose everyone's hair is different, which is probably the main reason reviews are so mixed. For reference, my hair is long and dark ash brown. It's naturally wavy and thick, but fine in individual texture. My hair is not damaged, as I baby it very much lol. I've had damaged hair in the past, but over the years I now consider myself a bit of a hair connoisseur. I know how to repair the most damaged hair, and I know the best products to make hair healthy and strong. It's taken years, mind you, but on to the review ! This stuff is fairly thick, so it doesn't drip much. It gives nice coverage, coating hair without need for too much product. But the most important thing is, this color makes my hair feel silky and smooth after coloring ! Most dyes leave hair dry or stringy, but this stuff makes my hair feel amazing. It's also a beautiful color ! I use either medium ash brown or dark brown, I mix it up. This is the only drugstore color I have ever liked. I've tried Nice N' Easy, Loreal Feria, Garnier Nutrisse, Garnier Olia, and none compare. This stuff just leaves my hair shiny, and the color is so rich. It lasts a long time, too. Just take care of it by using color safe shampoo, and a nice rich condirioner. I can't wait to dye my hair when I use this because I know it'll be a great few hair days ! haha definite repurchase :)

on 1/12/2015 2:09:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair, Cool

I give up. I cannot find an at-home hair color that will not turn my dark brown roots red. For reference, I have dark brown hair and all I want to do is cover some grays; I used the color dark ash brown specifically to counter the red roots that inevitably seem to happen with dark brown dye. The red is not as bad as Nutrisse, but the overall effect still looks cheap. I guess I'l have to go the salon, which is frustrating because my hair color is so single process and boring I feel I should be able to do this at home! Also, the smell that others have mentioned isn't awful, just persistent...I'm still smelling it on my hair after washing. And it did leave my hair drier than usual.

on 1/6/2015 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This review is of 8.5 Champagne Blonde.

I have light brown hair the same color as the last 'before' picture on the package. This dye is terrible. It turned my hair red. More specifically: Child's Play orange. Even after a second application it only turned it more orange.

Worst hairdye I've ever used, and I've used plenty.

on 12/12/2014 10:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This colour (8.3 Champagne) was terrible!! it told me to leave it in for 30mins which i did (no indication you could leave it longer) and my blondish/light brown hair went redish and hasnt lightened at all despite the indication it would. My hair was not too dark for the product to begin with, this stuff sucks

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

My hair is naturally a very dark brown and I bought black luminére dye. It was a blackish blue color. When I washed my hair 2 days later, the water and the shampoo were the color of the hair dye. I didn't think anything of it because generally some hair dye still washes out when you wash your hair for the first time. I did notice there were quite a few brown spots already though. Then the second time I washed it a pretty good amount of hair dye was still coming out. After I blow dried my hair I checked and noticed that there were even more brown patches. Now it's been 5 days since I dyed my hair and a lot of dye is still visible in the water when I wash it. Not to mention, my roots are basically all brown and are even lighter than they were before I dyed my hair. The length of my hair is still dark black though. I am having to go to the salon to get this fixed. I DO NOT recommend this brand for dark hair dye.

on 11/30/2014 8:07:00 AM

Don't do it, DO NOT BUY THIS! I'm pretty easy going with my hair. It grows quickly and I can always do somehing to make a bad cut or color better. I bought this to match my natural color to take out my brassy ends from sun bleaching. I made sure to buy Ash Brown since my hair pulls red. I followed the directions and actually applied roots after ends to avoid problems. WELL..... I ended up with hot roots. Bad hot roots. I've never had this in my life. My length died quite dark, almont black (probably my fault a bit since they were lighter) and very flat color. But the roots! They turned a blond ginger color. I'm naturally a dark, cool brunette. FML.
I've already scrubbed the length with Dawn Dish soap and baking soda to remove excess color (no change) and did a Vitamin C + head and Shoulders soak to lighten (def helped). Then applied a different brown color (Garnier Belle Color, really liked it) but the roots are still hot, just not as bad. Not clue what I'll do, probably put my tail between my legs and go to the salon.
I've used box dye before, for the last 17 years, but not regularly. Its probably been a good 7 years since my last use.
Other comments: the smell really is horrible. I thought the other reviewers were just being whiney but this is bad. I have a super-duper bathroom fan and I almost choked. The product really is so liquidy it makes extra mess and it hard to pile your hair up on top of your head.
If you've already bought this and haven't used it, and are reading reviews: Return it. Throw it out. Do whatever but its not worth it!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is a review for the colour Fiji or Dark Ash Blonde

Natural hair: thick black (asian) hair

Before: I had a dip dye style, half dark dark brown (processed) couple inches of roots, and platinum blonde on the bottom. I bleached the top part to a level 5-6 orange-gold. Waited a day in between bleaching and toning/dyeing

What I wanted: Lightest brown or dark blonde, ashy tones or at least neutralize the bright orange hair

What I got: Light brown on top, which gets a little brassy pretty fast. (But it doesn't look like I just bleached it and left it orange) (Acceptable) Dark ash blonde on the bottom where I had platinum. Started with a greenish tinge that washed out quickly (good)

My experience:
Put the product on for 20-30 minutes. I would have gone longer but there was a scab on my scalp I apparently didn't notice until that day. Overall I don't think my scalp liked it very much, but it had just bleached earlier in the day (I don't suggest it but I used this product like a toner).

The smell though. I've used this product on two separate occasions and it's like I wonder if I left on some residual bleach that mixed with the ammonia and created mustard gas. If I could do this outside, I would.

Also, I LOVE the conditioner. My hair has already been processed at least 7 times on the bottom and it makes it soo soft and shiny

Overall: Love this as a toner and I love the conditioner, but I might shop around for something that doesn't release such aggressive fumes.

I think I finally found my color. I had been lightening my naturally dark brown hair for a long time. I like dark ash blonde/light ash brown hair, but it's difficult to maintain. Also, I don't want to use bleach because it's is so damaging. I finally had enough of grown out roots and brassy hair. I used medium ash brown and am very happy with the results. I'm going to stay with brown colors and ash tones from now on.

on 11/15/2014 1:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I'm reviewing one of Loreal Preference's newest shades, 9DG Delicate Golden Blonde. I didn't see any other reviews on this, and I have to write this because this is one of the best colors I've used.
I had bright, bleachy, yellowy blonde before this, and decided I wanted to go a shade or two darker, because the yellow just looks unattractive. My hair LOVES to pull orange/yellow whenever I try to get it very light, so I decided to try a golden shade, so that it'd look more natural. When I went to Walmart, I was originally going to get the 8GB Golden Iredescent Blonde that my mom used a few weeks ago (it was too dark for her liking, but I liked it). Then I saw this new shade and liked the sound of the name, and picked this instead.
When I put it in my hair, I was a little nervous to see it turning ashy/grey. But I left it on anyway, and am so happy with the way it turned out! It's not a golden blonde, but a very natural, almost ashy blonde. Just like it says on the box, it's not brassy, even at my roots which were my natural light brown and ALWAYS turn orange. It didn't really darken my hair, but it toned it. The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because the title of the color is misleading. If you're looking for an actual golden blonde, go for 8GB or maybe Garnier's Honey Butter. But if you want a nice, natural blonde with slight ash tones, go for this one.

My review is specifically for Dark Brown 4 (natural). I had been using Feria Espresso since I went back to brunette, but they were out of it, so I picked this because it's the closest I could find to it. I had previously used Superior Preference Dark Mahogany Brown for a couple of years but it comes out very dark and after awhile, your hair is just BLACK. Well, I wanted dark brown with definition and definitely NOT black. So, I got what I wanted with this shade. It's got definition and not totally black, but it is very dark right now. (I just colored it yesterday.) I am hoping after a couple of washes, it will lighten up to the Espresso color. So, it is close to Espresso in the Feria line but maybe a shade and a half or so darker? Of course, Superior Preference is to cover greys so that could be why it's darker, as well. It covered grey nicely and the after color conditioner is my favorite thing about this line... The after color conditioner in the Feria line is OK, too, but they need the Superior Preference conditioner for all their lines in my opinion. It is amazing. I like the color OK even if it is a touch darker than I was hoping for. But, it should fade nicely and be OK. So, yes I recommend this color to anyone looking for a dark brown with definition.
*UPDATE* It's been two weeks now since I used this hair color. It has lightened up quite a bit. It is pretty much an exact match for the Espresso color in the Feria line. I am happy.

Video Reviews & Tutorials